[TheClimate.Vote] July 5, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jul 5 10:41:47 EDT 2017

/July 5, 2017/

*4 Climate Scientists & Their Fears for the Future (July 2017) (from ABC
News Australia) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwsDOWjn0tA>*
/Climate scientists talk personally about the future.
"I don't think there will be any safe places"... "so I plan to be mobile"
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwsDOWjn0tA

*Climate change will worsen US poverty
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/22601-2/>*
Yet another study has exposed the cruel cost of climate change as it
increases US poverty. It could be worse than the Great Recession.
By Tim Radford
LONDON, 4 July, 2017 - US researchers have calculated the detailed cost
of climate change for all of the 3,143 counties in the country. The
outlook is bleak, and US poverty is set to grow...
  If global warming continues unabated, then near the end of this
century the poorest third of the counties in the US could suffer
economic damage that could cost up to 20% of their income...
And they concluded that, although*some counties in the Pacific Northwest
and New England might benefit*, unless greenhouse gas emissions from
fossil fuel use are slowed, then the projected 3°C to 5°C warming in the
last two decades of this century could have costs comparable to the
Great Recession of 2008, with the cruellest impact upon the poorest..
"The emissions coming out of our cars and power plants are reshaping the
American economy. Here in the Midwest, we may see agricultural losses
similar to the Dustbowl of the 1930s." - Climate News Network.
http://climatenewsnetwork.net/22601-2/
-more:
Estimating economic damage from climate change in the United States
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6345/1362>
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6345/1362

*
**United Church of Christ approves emergency resolution on climate
change
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/04/united-church-christ-approves-emergency-resolution-climate-change/pgzKhYbm3UEyJcxA21GPAI/story.html>*
The biennial national gathering of the United Church of Christ approved
an emergency resolution on climate change on Monday, denouncing
President Trump's plans to withdraw the United States from the Paris
climate accord and urging the church to take action...
...the resolution urges clergy to preach on "the moral obligation of our
generation to protect God's creation" and exhorts individuals to take
political action and "make decisions of integrity on our energy
choices." It appears to be the first formal action taken by a major
denomination in response to Trump's decision on the Paris agreement...
"It was important that the church be on record as declaring we are now
in a new moral era because of the administration and the ways in which
it is compromising truth," in particular on denying the science of
climate change, Antal said.
But he said the resolution is also important because it is directed at
the church: "What's the church going to do differently?"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/04/united-church-christ-approves-emergency-resolution-climate-change/pgzKhYbm3UEyJcxA21GPAI/story.html

*Q&A With the Host of CBC's Badass New Podcast About Climate
<https://www.desmog.ca/2017/07/04/qa-host-cbc-s-badass-new-podcast-about-climate-change>*
A new podcast series by CBC Vancouver paints a dramatic picture of what
life in British Columbia will look like after 30 years of climate change.
More frequent heat waves, more extreme forest fires, a massive drop in
the snow pack and brutal storms are just some of the consequences
British Columbians will feel 33 years from now. In other words: say
goodbye to skiing and pond hockey and say hello to flooding and air
quality advisories.
The series, 2050: Degrees of Change
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/2050-degrees-of-change/>, is divvied
up into six episodes, which look at everything from the water cycle and
agriculture to forests and what climate change means for our cities.
The series looks at a scenario in which British Columbia has warmed an
average of 2.5 degrees and the world has cut its emissions by half.
"We wanted listeners to end off realizing this is a middle of the road
scenario and things could be worse and they could be better depending on
what we choose to do now," said Johanna Wagstaffe, podcast host and CBC
senior meteorologist.
DeSmog Canada asked Wagstaffe some questions about the making of the series.
*Why did you choose to look at the year 2050?*
We were trying to think of how to tell the story of British Columbia
changing over the years and our original thought was 2100 because that's
when so many of the climate models project out to …but 2100 just seemed
a little bit out of reach and 2050 is a year when some of us may
actually still be alive. It's a little bit more tangible when we think
about our children. It's only 33 years away.
Being able to see the changes within a lifetime is powerful.
https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/2050_20170608_49800.mp3
https://www.desmog.ca/2017/07/04/qa-host-cbc-s-badass-new-podcast-about-climate-change
-more:
*2050: Degrees of Change
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/2050-degrees-of-change/>*
CBC Meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe guides a journey to our future in a
CBC Vancouver original podcast  that explores how our world and lives
will adapt to climate change within a few decades.
Updated: Weekly
Download episodes from this podcast for: 3 years
Visit Show Site:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/events/2050degreesofchange-1.4135842
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/2050-degrees-of-change/

*(audio) A Continual State of Emergency: Climate Change and Native Lands
in Northwest Alaska
<http://www.thearcticinstitute.org/continual-state-emergency-climate-change-native-lands-northwest-alaska/>*
/As part of The Arctic Institute's Summer Reading Series, we are
reposting 10 stories from Victoria Herrmann's National Geographic-funded
project, America's Eroding Edges.//
//The edges of our country are eroding, raising difficult questions
about adaptation, relocation, and what it means to be an American
experiencing climate change today. To connect the shared experiences of
Americans facing these dramatic transformations, the National Trust for
Historic Preservation has partnered with Victoria as she travels around
the U.S. and its territories interviewing communities directly affected
by shoreline erosion and climate change.../
...amid the discussion around the cumulative impacts, the complexities
and differences of each individual community can get lost. While the
environmental challenges arising across Alaska are similar, even
similarly situated communities approach these changes with different
histories, economic backgrounds, lands, natural resources, and
relationships between native corporations and other bodies of local
government. In the month we spent interviewing community members and
leaders in five coastal Alaska Native villages, the most salient
takeaway was the diversity in each community's experiences.
Alaska has generated more "crisis headlines" about climate change than
any other region except the Pacific Islands. But do those headlines help
people understand the challenges faced by an individual communit
http://www.thearcticinstitute.org/continual-state-emergency-climate-change-native-lands-northwest-alaska/

*
**Extreme weather conditions and climate change account for 40% of
global wheat production variability
<https://phys.org/news/2017-07-extreme-weather-conditions-climate-account.html>*
JRC scientists have proposed a new approach for identifying the impacts
of climate change and extreme weather on the variability of global and
regional wheat production. The study analysed the effect of heat and
water anomalies on crop losses over a 30-year period.
JRC scientists studied the relative importance of heat stress and
drought on wheat yields between 1980 and 2010. They developed a new
Combined Stress Index in order to better understand the effects of
concurrent heat and water stress events...
The study 'Wheat yield loss attributable to heat waves, drought and
water excess at the global, national and subnational scales' was
published in Environmental Research Letters earlier this month. It finds
that heat stress concurrent with drought or water excess can explain
about 40% of the changes in wheat yields from one year to another....
One finding is that in contrast to the common perception, water excess
affects wheat production more than drought in several countries.
Excessive precipitation and greater cloud cover, especially during
sensitive development stages of the crop, are major contributors to
reduced yields, as they help pests and disease proliferate and make it
harder for the plants to get the oxygen and light they need.
https://phys.org/news/2017-07-extreme-weather-conditions-climate-account.html
-more:
*Climate change will cut cereal yields, model predicts—technological
advances could offset those losses
<https://phys.org/news/2017-05-climate-cereal-yields-predictstechnological-advances.html>*
https://phys.org/news/2017-05-climate-cereal-yields-predictstechnological-advances.html

*Shane Smith Investigates The True Cost of Climate Denial (VICE on HBO:
Season 5, Episode 1) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9suO4jrwfDE>*
VICE News  (28 min video)   Published on Jun 2, 2017
President Trump announced the U.S.'s intent to withdraw from the
landmark Paris climate agreement – what many said was the world's best
chance to collectively limit the impact on the planet.
Watch Season 1: http://bit.ly/2s1T4Zs
Watch Season 2: http://bit.ly/2qJRA6j
Watch Season 3: http://bit.ly/VICE-HBO-S3
The first effects of climate change are already being felt, and
projections show that if the world does not take action there could be
over $40 Trillion of damage worldwide over the next five decades.
As costs begin to mount, so do allegations that an effort led by
ExxonMobil and other powerful interests, have denied climate science and
delayed corrective measures for years. In the face of scientific
consensus, the Trump administration has ushered some of the people most
responsible for denying climate science into the highest levels of
government just as states Attorney Generals across the country have
sought to hold Exxon, and others, accountable for the damage this
misinformation campaign has wrought.
As bills caused by climate change begin to mount, Shane Smith
investigates the true cost of denial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9suO4jrwfDE

*This Day in Climate History July 5, 2012
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/opinion/a-carbon-tax-sensible-for-all.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
July 5, 2012: Economist Yoram Bauman and law professor Shi-Ling Hsu
point out the benefits of a federal carbon tax in a New York Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/opinion/a-carbon-tax-sensible-for-all.html

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List