[TheClimate.Vote] July 10, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 10 10:51:45 EDT 2017

/July 10, 2017/
*
**Raging wildfires across California force nearly 8000 to evacuate: 'It
was terrifying'
<http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-new-wildfires-20170709-story.html>*
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-new-wildfires-20170709-story.html
*A state of emergency has been declared by the Canadian province of
British Columbia (BC) as it battles over 180 wildfires.
<http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40534648>*
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40534648
*Towns, homes evacuated in B.C. as wildfires burn out of control
<http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/towns-homes-evacuated-in-b-c-as-wildfires-burn-out-of-control-1.4196041>*
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/towns-homes-evacuated-in-b-c-as-wildfires-burn-out-of-control-1.4196041
*Large Wildfires Force Evacuations In California; 5000 Firefighters
Deployed
<http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/09/536316047/large-wildfires-force-evacuations-in-central-california>*
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/09/536316047/large-wildfires-force-evacuations-in-central-california
*Wildfires burn across more than 15680 acres in western Colorado
<http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/09/wildfires-burn-across-western-colorado/>*
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/09/wildfires-burn-across-western-colorado/
*Western Canada wildfires may spread with more hot, dry weather
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-wildfire-idUSKBN19V005>*
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-wildfire-idUSKBN19V005
*Soaring temperatures fuel wildfires across 11 western states
<http://www.today.com/video/soaring-temperatures-fuel-wildfires-across-11-western-states-988987459812>*
http://www.today.com/video/soaring-temperatures-fuel-wildfires-across-11-western-states-988987459812
*(video) Firefighters battle wildfires across the West
<https://youtu.be/NlKKH74HBGE>*
https://youtu.be/NlKKH74HBGE
*American Red Cross offers tips to prepare for wildfires
<http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/communities/belle_fourche/american-red-cross-offers-tips-to-prepare-for-wildfires/article_eec34ece-4f6c-5f69-a073-84c5a884df09.html>*
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/communities/belle_fourche/american-red-cross-offers-tips-to-prepare-for-wildfires/article_eec34ece-4f6c-5f69-a073-84c5a884df09.html

When Will Climate Change Make the Earth Too Hot For Humans?
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html>*
**The Uninhabitable Earth*
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html>
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change
could wreak - sooner than you think.
By David Wallace-Wells*
**I. 'Doomsday'*
Peering beyond scientific reticence.
It is, I promise, worse than you think. If your anxiety about global
warming is dominated by fears of sea-level rise, you are barely
scratching the surface of what terrors are possible, even within the
lifetime of a teenager today. And yet the swelling seas - and the cities
they will drown - have so dominated the picture of global warming, and
so overwhelmed our capacity for climate panic, that they have occluded
our perception of other threats, many much closer at hand. Rising oceans
are bad, in fact very bad; but fleeing the coastline will not be enough.
Indeed, absent a significant adjustment to how billions of humans
conduct their lives, parts of the Earth will likely become close to
uninhabitable, and other parts horrifically inhospitable, as soon as the
end of this century.
Even when we train our eyes on climate change, we are unable to
comprehend its scope. This past winter, a string of days 60 and 70
degrees warmer than normal baked the North Pole,...
.. And however sanguine you might be about the proposition that we have
already ravaged the natural world, which we surely have, it is another
thing entirely to consider the possibility that we have only provoked
it, engineering first in ignorance and then in denial a climate system
that will now go to war with us for many centuries, perhaps until it
destroys us. That is what Wallace Smith Broecker, the avuncular
oceanographer who coined the term "global warming," means when he calls
the planet an "angry beast." You could also go with "war machine." Each
day we arm it more.
*II. Heat Death*
The bahraining of New York.
Humans, like all mammals, are heat engines; surviving means having to
continually cool off, like panting dogs. For that, the temperature needs
to be low enough for the air to act as a kind of refrigerant, drawing
heat off the skin so the engine can keep pumping. At seven degrees of
warming, that would become impossible for large portions of the planet's
equatorial band, and especially the tropics, where humidity adds to the
problem; in the jungles of Costa Rica, for instance, where humidity
routinely tops 90 percent, simply moving around outside when it's over
105 degrees Fahrenheit would be lethal. And the effect would be fast:
Within a few hours, a human body would be cooked to death from both
inside and out.
Climate-change skeptics point out that the planet has warmed and cooled
many times before, but the climate window that has allowed for human
life is very narrow, even by the standards of planetary history. At 11
or 12 degrees of warming, more than half the world's population, as
distributed today, would die of direct heat...
The key factor is something called wet-bulb temperature, which is a term
of measurement as home-laboratory-kit as it sounds: the heat registered
on a thermometer wrapped in a damp sock as it's swung around in the air
(since the moisture evaporates from a sock more quickly in dry air, this
single number reflects both heat and humidity). At present, most regions
reach a wet-bulb maximum of 26 or 27 degrees Celsius; the true red line
for habitability is 35 degrees. What is called heat stress comes much
sooner....
..The high-end IPCC estimate, remember, is two degrees warmer still. By
the end of the century, the World Bank has estimated, the coolest months
in tropical South America, Africa, and the Pacific are likely to be
warmer than the warmest months at the end of the 20th century.
Air-conditioning can help but will ultimately only add to the carbon
problem; plus, the climate-controlled malls of the Arab emirates aside,
it is not remotely plausible to wholesale air-condition all the hottest
parts of the world, many of them also the poorest. And indeed, the
crisis will be most dramatic across the Middle East and Persian Gulf,
where in 2015 the heat index registered temperatures as high as 163
degrees Fahrenheit. As soon as several decades from now, the hajj will
become physically impossible for the 2 million Muslims who make the
pilgrimage each year.
*III. The End of Food*
Praying for cornfields in the tundra.
Climates differ and plants vary, but the basic rule for staple cereal
crops grown at optimal temperature is that for every degree of warming,
yields decline by 10 percent. Some estimates run as high as 15 or even
17 percent. Which means that if the planet is five degrees warmer at the
end of the century, we may have as many as 50 percent more people to
feed and 50 percent less grain to give them. And proteins are worse: It
takes 16 calories of grain to produce just a single calorie of hamburger
meat, butchered from a cow that spent its life polluting the climate
with methane farts.
Pollyannaish plant physiologists will point out that the cereal-crop
math applies only to those regions already at peak growing temperature,
and they are right - theoretically, a warmer climate will make it easier
to grow corn in Greenland. But as the pathbreaking work by Rosamond
Naylor and David Battisti has shown, the tropics are already too hot to
efficiently grow grain, and those places where grain is produced today
are already at optimal growing temperature - which means even a small
warming will push them down the slope of declining productivity. And you
can't easily move croplands north a few hundred miles, because yields in
places like remote Canada and Russia are limited by the quality of soil
there; it takes many centuries for the planet to produce optimally
fertile dirt.
*IV. Climate Plagues*
What happens when the bubonic ice melts?
Rock, in the right spot, is a record of planetary history, eras as long
as millions of years flattened by the forces of geological time into
strata with amplitudes of just inches, or just an inch, or even less.
Ice works that way, too, as a climate ledger, but it is also frozen
history, some of which can be reanimated when unfrozen. There are now,
trapped in Arctic ice, diseases that have not circulated in the air for
millions of years - in some cases, since before humans were around to
encounter them. Which means our immune systems would have no idea how to
fight back when those prehistoric plagues emerge from the ice.
The Arctic also stores terrifying bugs from more recent times. In
Alaska, already, researchers have discovered remnants of the 1918 flu
that infected as many as 500 million and killed as many as 100 million -
about 5 percent of the world's population and almost six times as many
as had died in the world war for which the pandemic served as a kind of
gruesome capstone. As the BBC reported in May, scientists suspect
smallpox and the bubonic plague are trapped in Siberian ice, too - an
abridged history of devastating human sickness, left out like egg salad
in the Arctic sun.
...What concerns epidemiologists more than ancient diseases are existing
scourges relocated, rewired, or even re-evolved by warming. ...
*V. Unbreathable Air*
A rolling death smog that suffocates millions.
Our lungs need oxygen, but that is only a fraction of what we breathe.
The fraction of carbon dioxide is growing: It just crossed 400 parts per
million, and high-end estimates extrapolating from current trends
suggest it will hit 1,000 ppm by 2100. At that concentration, compared
to the air we breathe now, human cognitive ability declines by 21 percent.
Other stuff in the hotter air is even scarier, with small increases in
pollution capable of shortening life spans by ten years. The warmer the
planet gets, the more ozone forms, and by mid-century, Americans will
likely suffer a 70 percent increase in unhealthy ozone smog, the
National Center for Atmospheric Research has projected. By 2090, as many
as 2 billion people globally will be breathing air above the WHO "safe"
level; one paper last month showed that, among other effects, a pregnant
mother's exposure to ozone raises the child's risk of autism (as much as
tenfold, combined with other environmental factors). Which does make you
think again about the autism epidemic in West Hollywood....
*VI. Perpetual War*
The violence baked into heat.
Climatologists are very careful when talking about Syria. They want you
to know that while climate change did produce a drought that contributed
to civil war, it is not exactly fair to saythat the conflict is the
result of warming; next door, for instance, Lebanon suffered the same
crop failures. But researchers like Marshall Burke and Solomon Hsiang
have managed to quantify some of the non-obvious relationships between
temperature and violence: For every half-degree of warming, they say,
societies will see between a 10 and 20 percent increase in the
likelihood of armed conflict. In climate science, nothing is simple, but
the arithmetic is harrowing: A planet five degrees warmer would have at
least half again as many wars as we do today. Overall, social conflict
could more than double this century.
This is one reason that, as nearly every climate scientist I spoke to
pointed out, the U.S. military is obsessed with climate change: The
drowning of all American Navy bases by sea-level rise is trouble enough,
but being the world's policeman is quite a bit harder when the crime
rate doubles. ...
*VII. Permanent Economic Collapse*
Dismal capitalism in a half-poorer world.
The murmuring mantra of global neoliberalism, which prevailed between
the end of the Cold War and the onset of the Great Recession, is that
economic growth would save us from anything and everything.
But in the aftermath of the 2008 crash, a growing number of historians
studying what they call "fossil capitalism" have begun to suggest that
the entire history of swift economic growth, which began somewhat
suddenly in the 18th century, is not the result of innovation or trade
or the dynamics of global capitalism but simply our discovery of fossil
fuels and all their raw power - a onetime injection of new "value" into
a system that had previously been characterized by global subsistence
living....
*VIII. Poisoned Oceans*
Sulfide burps off the skeleton coast.
That the sea will become a killer is a given. Barring a radical
reduction of emissions, we will see at least four feet of sea-level rise
and possibly ten by the end of the century. A third of the world's major
cities are on the coast, not to mention its power plants, ports, navy
bases, farmlands, fisheries, river deltas, marshlands, and rice-paddy
empires, and even those above ten feet will flood much more easily, and
much more regularly, if the water gets that high. At least 600 million
people live within ten meters of sea level today.
But the drowning of those homelands is just the start. At present, more
than a third of the world's carbon is sucked up by the oceans - thank
God, or else we'd have that much more warming already. But the result is
what's called "ocean acidification," which, on its own, may add a half a
degree to warming this century. It is also already burning through the
planet's water basins...
*IX. The Great Filter*
Our present eeriness cannot last.
So why can't we see it? In his recent book-length essay The Great
Derangement, the Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh wonders why global warming
and natural disaster haven't become major subjects of contemporary
fiction - why we don't seem able to imagine climate catastrophe, and why
we haven't yet had a spate of novels in the genre he basically imagines
into half-existence and names "the environmental uncanny." "Consider,
for example, the stories that congeal around questions like, 'Where were
you when the Berlin Wall fell?' or 'Where were you on 9/11?' " he
writes. "Will it ever be possible to ask, in the same vein, 'Where were
you at 400 ppm?' or 'Where were you when the Larsen B ice shelf broke
up?' " His answer: Probably not, because the dilemmas and dramas of
climate change are simply incompatible with the kinds of stories we tell
ourselves about ourselves, especially in novels, which tend to emphasize
the journey of an individual conscience rather than the poisonous miasma
of social fate....
...But more than half of the carbon humanity has exhaled into the
atmosphere in its entire history has been emitted in just the past three
decades; since the end of World War II, the figure is 85 percent. Which
means that, in the length of a single generation, global warming has
brought us to the brink of planetary catastrophe, and that the story of
the industrial world's kamikaze mission is also the story of a single
lifetime...
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html
*

**Can We Stop Climate Change? Maybe, If We Take Steps Now to Stop
Emitting Greenhouse Gases
<http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-environment-greenhouse-gases-donald-trump-633796>*
If we stop our emissions today, we won't go back to the past. The Earth
will warm. And since the response to warming is more warming through
feedbacks associated with melting ice and increased atmospheric water
vapor, our job becomes one of limiting the warming. If greenhouse gas
emissions are eliminated quickly enough, within a small number of
decades, it will keep the warming manageable and the Paris Agreement
goals could be met. It will slow the change – and allow us to adapt.
Rather than trying to recover the past, we need to be thinking about
best possible futures.
http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-environment-greenhouse-gases-donald-trump-633796
*If we stopped emitting greenhouse gases right now, would we stop
climate change?
<https://theconversation.com/if-we-stopped-emitting-greenhouse-gases-right-now-would-we-stop-climate-change-78882>*
Earth's climate is changing rapidly. We know this from billions of
observations, documented in thousands of journal papers and texts and
summarized every few years by the United Nations' Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change. The primary cause of that change is the release
of carbon dioxide from burning coal, oil and natural gas.
One of the goals of the international Paris Agreement on climate change
is to limit the increase of the global surface average air temperature
to 2 degrees Celsius, compared to preindustrial times. There is a
further commitment to strive to limit the increase to 1.5℃.
Earth has already, essentially, reached the 1℃ threshold. Despite the
avoidance of millions of tons of carbon dioxide emissions through use of
renewable energy, increased efficiency and conservation efforts, the
rate of increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere remains high.
International plans on how to deal with climate change are painstakingly
difficult to cobble together and take decades to work out. Most climate
scientists and negotiators were dismayed by President Trump's
announcement that the U.S. will withdraw from the Paris Agreement.
https://theconversation.com/if-we-stopped-emitting-greenhouse-gases-right-now-would-we-stop-climate-change-78882

*(51 mins audio)  On The Media   Apocalypse, Now
<http://www.wnyc.org/story/on-the-media-2017-07-07>*
Science fiction has always been an outlet for our greatest anxieties.
How the genre is exploring the reality of climate change.
Plus: new words to describe the indescribable.
Science fiction has always been an outlet for our greatest anxieties.
This week, we delve into how the genre is exploring the reality of
climate change.   . Plus: new words to describe the indescribable.
1. Jeff VanderMeer @jeffvandermeer, author of the Southern Reach Trilogy
and Borne, on writing about the relationships between people and nature.
While apocalyptic narratives have been part of popular culture for
centuries and are common subject matter for films and literature, such
stories now seem scarily realistic given the increasing impact of
climate change.  Brooke speaks with...VanderMeer about the
responsibility of fiction to illuminate the threats of climate change
and human degradation of the planet, and how he imagines what our
existence will look like in the coming years. His latest novel is Borne,
and part of his Southern Reach Trilogy is being adapted as a movie for
release next year.
2. Claire Vaye Watkins @clairevaye talks about Gold Fame Citrus, her
work of speculative fiction in which an enormous sand dune threatens to
engulf the southwest... extreme drought has left California baked and
barren - and a massive dune threatens the entire Southwest. Watkins
talks to Brooke about the world she imagines, and the pain of being a
climate change refugee. Storytelling, she says, might help the public
understand the real looming threats.
3. Kim Stanley Robinson discusses his latest work, New York 2140. The
seas have risen 50 feet and lower Manhattan is submerged. And yet,
there's hope.   (The science fiction writer... speaks with Brooke about
his new book New York 2140, in which Manhattan is partially submerged by
water and citizens travel using boats, similar to Venice. He discusses
the role of fiction as a blueprint for hope, and why his New York City
of the future still struggles with capitalist impulses-the same ones he
says are responsible for climate change today.
4. British writer Robert Macfarlane @RobGMacfarlane on new language for
our changing world... author of Landmarks and The Old Ways and a fellow
at Cambridge University, believes we need new words to describe our
changing Earth and the feelings ecological destruction stirs within us
all. He talks to Brooke about how new terms can help us come to grips
with the subtle and not-so-subtle ways humans are altering the
environment, and how naming something can be a way of preserving it.
Throughout the show: listeners offer their own new vocabulary for the
Anthropocene era. Many thanks to everyone who left us voice memos!
http://www.wnyc.org/story/on-the-media-2017-07-07
-also:
The Leonard Lopate Show
*A Scientist Bikes To Understand Misinformation
<http://www.wnyc.org/story/scientist-rides-understand-misinformation>*
Climate scientist David Goodrich on his book "A Hole In The Wind," about
his cross-country bicycle trip to understand how misinformation about
science and the environment spreads. Jul 5, 2017
Climate scientist David Goodrich joins us to discuss his book A Hole in
the Wind: A Climate Scientist's Bicycle Journey Across the United
States. Goodrich biked 4,200 miles from Maryland across the country to
Oregon to find out how misinformation about science and the environment
spreads. Along the way, he learned why climate change is such a
complicated issue for so many Americans.
http://www.wnyc.org/story/scientist-rides-understand-misinformation

*Climate Change Will Also Exacerbate Wealth Inequality
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2017/07/these_maps_show_just_how_climate_change_will_screw_the_poor.html>*
New data make stunning predictions about how climate change will affect
specific regions of the United States.
Climate change is a global problem with extremely local impacts. A major
new study illuminates how the effects of climate change will reverberate
economically across the United States. Its findings are both a warning
of challenges to come and an opportunity to recalibrate how resources
are allocated to protect Americans from global warming's negative
repercussions.
Published in the journal Science, the study found that unmitigated
climate change will make the United States "poorer and more unequal,"
with the poorest third of counties across the country potentially
sustaining economic damages costing as much as 20 percent of their
income. Furthermore, if emissions are not slowed and the planet warms
6-10 degrees Fahrenheit (3-5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels
by the end of the century, costs will approach those of the Great
Recession-"except they will not go away afterwards and damages for poor
regions will be many times larger."
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2017/07/these_maps_show_just_how_climate_change_will_screw_the_poor.html
thanks to http://www.climatedesk.org/
*
**
*Ethics and Climate: The Moral Outrageousness of Trump's Decision on the
Paris Agreement
<https://ethicsandclimate.org/2017/07/07/the-moral-outrageousness-of-trumps-decision-on-the-paris-agreement/>**
Donald A. BrownScholar In Residence and Professor
Widener University Commonwealth Law School dabrown57 at gmail.com
When Pope Francis in May of 2015 issued his Laudata Si encyclical which
called climate change a moral issue, it got global attention. Yet
despite extensive international media coverage of worldwide condemnation
of President Trump's decision to remove the United States from the Paris
agreement, there has been relatively little coverage of why the Trump
decision should be understood not only as a dangerous break with the
international community but as a profoundly immoral choice....
Climate change has certain features that more than any other global
environmental problem call for responding to it as a moral problem.
First, it is a problem caused mostly by high-emitting developed
countries that are putting relatively low emitting developing countries
most at risk. Second, the potential harms to the most vulnerable nations
and people are not mere inconveniences but include catastrophic threats
to life and the ecological systems on which life depends. Third, those
people and nations most at risk can do little to protect themselves by
petitioning their governments to shield them; their best hope is that
high-emitting nations will respond to their obligations to not harm
others. Fourth CO2 emissions become well mixed in the atmosphere so that
CO2 atmosphere concentrations are roughly the same around the world
regardless of the source of the emissions. Therefore unlike other air
pollution problems which most threaten only those nations and
communities located within the pollution plume, greenhouse gas emissions
from any one country are threatening people and other countries around
the world.  This means that US greenhouse gas emissions are causing and
threatening enormous harm all over the world....
Yet it is the Trump assertion that the United States can base its energy
policy primarily on putting US economic interests first while ignoring
US obligations to not harm others that most clearly provokes moral
outrage around the world. The moral principle that people may not harm
others on the basis of self-interest is recognized by the vast majority
of the world's religions and in international law under the "no harm
principle".  The "no- harm' rule is a principle of customary
international law whereby a nation is duty-bound to prevent, reduce, and
control the risk of environmental harm to other nations caused by
activities within the nation  For these reasons, the Trump decision on
the Paris Agreement is a moral travesty.
https://ethicsandclimate.org/2017/07/07/the-moral-outrageousness-of-trumps-decision-on-the-paris-agreement*

**(video) California fires spread quickly, evacuation orders lifted in
other parts of West
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-wildfires-spread-quickly-evacuation-orders-lifted-colorado-montana/>*
SANTA MARIA, Calif. - A pair of California wildfires have quickly
spread, threatening hundreds of homes and forcing evacuations at a
popular lakeside campground and a summer camp where flames temporarily
trapped children and counselors, a fire official said.
In other parts of the West, evacuation orders were lifted in Colorado
and Montana towns threatened by wildfires, while air and ground crews
battled a growing grass fire in northwestern Colorado.
The fire that started early Saturday afternoon in California's Santa
Barbara County had spread to both sides of Highway 154 and was
"completely out of control," county fire Capt. Dave Zaniboni said. About
90 children and 50 counselors were struck at the Circle V Ranch and had
to take shelter there until they could be safely evacuated.
The Santa Barbara County fire was one of three in California that grew
quickly as much of the state baked in heat that broke records. A record
that stood 131 years in Los Angeles was snapped when the temperature
spiked at 98 degrees downtown. The previous record of 95 degrees was set
in 1886, the National Weather Service said.
Excessive heat sent Southern Californians flocking to beaches and in
search of water, shade and air conditioning to escape the heat.
Forecasters warned that triple-digit temperatures up to 110 degrees
would be common in some inland areas and could be deadly for the
elderly, children and outdoor workers. Air quality reached unhealthy and
very unhealthy in areas inland from Los Angeles.
Brutally hot temperatures have been recorded across the Southwest, CBS
News' Chris Martinez reported. Phoenix hit a high of 118 degrees Friday,
breaking a 112-year record. Palm Springs, California, reached 122
degrees, one of its hottest days ever. And in Death Valley, the mercury
soared to 127.
"We are going to see an increase in calls during this peak heat," said
Los Angeles Fire Captain Erik Scott.
Scott said many people ignore the very real risks of spending too much
time outdoors. And even for the most seasoned veterans, "firefighters
are not exempt to this heat themselves," Scott said.
"Firefighters take with them to a fire 100 extra pounds - you have
temperatures up to 112 degrees right now, it's very challenging," Scott
said.
High temps and dry gusts tripled the size of another Santa Barbara
wildfire to nearly 30 square miles over eight hours and forced
evacuations of about 200 homes in a rural area east of Santa Maria, fire
spokesman Kirk Sturm said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-wildfires-spread-quickly-evacuation-orders-lifted-colorado-montana/
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/record-breaking-heat-fuels-wildfires/

*Trump and the Truth About Climate Change
<https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/trump-climate-change-fairness-argument-by-joseph-e--stiglitz-2017-07>*

Joseph E. Stiglitz       Follow @JosephEStiglitz
Joseph E. Stiglitz, recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic
Sciences in 2001 and the John Bates Clark Medal in 1979
BRUSSELS - Under President Donald Trump's leadership, the United States
took another major step toward establishing itself as a rogue state on
June 1, when it withdrew from the Paris climate agreement. For years,
Trump has indulged the strange conspiracy theory that, as he put it in
2012, "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese
in order to make US manufacturing non-competitive." But this was not the
reason Trump advanced for withdrawing the US from the Paris accord.
Rather, the agreement, he alleged, was bad for the US and implicitly
unfair to it.
In fact, the major flaw in Trump's reasoning is that combating climate
change would strengthen the US, not weaken it. Trump is looking toward
the past – a past that, ironically, was not that great. His promise to
restore coal-mining jobs (which now number 51,000, less than 0.04% of
the country's nonfarm employment) overlooks the harsh conditions and
health risks endemic in that industry, not to mention the technological
advances that would continue to reduce employment in the industry even
if coal production were revived.
In fact, far more jobs are being created in solar panel installation
than are being lost in coal. More generally, moving to a green economy
would increase US income today and economic growth in the future. In
this, as in so many things, Trump is hopelessly mired in the past.
America under Trump has gone from being a world leader to an object of
derision. In the aftermath of Trump's withdrawal of the US from the
Paris accord, a large sign was hung over Rome's city hall: "The Planet
First." Likewise, France's new president, Emmanuel Macron, poked fun at
Trump's campaign slogan, declaring "Make Our Planet Great Again."
https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/trump-climate-change-fairness-argument-by-joseph-e-stiglitz-2017-07

*Dozens of EPA Staffers Weigh In on the Damage Trump Has Inflicted
<http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/06/epa-staffers-weigh-in-on-trump-damage/>*
Morale is seriously low.
REBECCA LEBERJ
Typically, when presidents or vice presidents visit EPA headquarters to
give a speech, they've used the opportunity to highlight the work the
EPA does, not to reprimand employees. Trump's visit to sign an executive
order in March was different. Few if any staffers were invited to attend
the speech where Trump, surrounded by coal miners, declared the agency's
supposed war on coal to be over. "Nobody was invited to [Trump's visit
to EPA HQ] which was as in your face, insulting thing as I've
experienced in my time here," one person says in the report.
In another excerpt, a staffer describes the surreal atmosphere that's
turning regulators into yes-men: "I mean every day, every single day
there's one more surreal thing, and everybody is afraid. Everybody's
afraid so no one pushes back, nobody says anything. They kind of hem and
haw [around Pruitt]."
One EPA employee noted that he or she's seen more self-policing from
colleagues, while others noted a new level of resistance to the agency's
leadership. "I have worked under six Administrations with political
appointees leading EPA from both parties," one says. "This is the first
time I remember staff openly dismissing and mocking the environmental
policies of an Administration and by extension [Pruitt]."
Over the course of its 47-year-history, EPA staff have faced off with
other hostile presidents and survived. But from how the veterans tell
it, Trump's assault is unlike anything they've seen before.
"I think there's a general consensus among the career people," one
person says, "that at bottom they're basically trying to destroy the place."
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/06/epa-staffers-weigh-in-on-trump-damage/

*Pingos Expose Global Warming Threat to Humanity
<http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/pingos-expose-global-warming-threat-to-humanity/article64484.html>*
Already, Russian scientists have identified 7,000 "alternative pingos"
in Siberia. According to The Washington Post, "Russian Scientists Find
7,000 Siberian Hills Possibly Filled with Explosive Gas," March 27,
2017, Vladimir E. Romanovsky, geophysicist at the University of Alaska
in Fairbanks claims: "This is really a new thing to permafrost science.
It has not been reported in the literature before," Ibid. Romanovsky
estimates there could be as many as 100,000 "alternative pingos"
(smaller than regular pingos) across the entire Arctic permafrost.
If we did not have anthropogenic (human-caused) global warming, pingos
would not suddenly be ubiquitous, and there would be no reason to write
this article. However, thousands of earthen hills have been popping-up
in the lower Arctic regions. The operative question therefore is whether
pingos, by releasing methane, will accelerate global warming, leading to
way too much heat, and runaway global warming, resulting in burnout of
agriculture. Then, starvation sets in for millions, maybe billions.
Thereafter, global warfare reigns supreme. Life turns sour. No Hollywood
film has ever captured the essence of the shockingly appalling scenario
that unfolds, but the TV series The Walking Dead sure seems close. Do
films reflect future society?
http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/pingos-expose-global-warming-threat-to-humanity/article64484.html

<http://youtu.be/vcMFwuu_UlA>*This Day in Climate History July 10, 2007
<http://youtu.be/vcMFwuu_UlA> -  from D.R. Tucker**
*July 10, 2007: On MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," Air America
host Rachel Maddow points out the mainstream media's fetish for false
balance, specifically citing climate coverage.
http://youtu.be/vcMFwuu_UlA*
////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List