[TheClimate.Vote] July 13, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jul 13 10:12:45 EDT 2017

/July 13, 2017/

*(video 5 min) Larsen C Ice Sheet Breaks Off. What Next?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXr98pt0bg>*
It was inevitable ... a question not of If, but of When. Now that the
Delaware-size iceberg has calved, scientists begin to explore what comes
next. (Also read more at YaleClimateConnections.org)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXr98pt0bg
-more:
*Larsen C calves trillion ton iceberg
<http://www.projectmidas.org/blog/calving/>*
A one trillion tonne iceberg – one of the biggest ever recorded - has
calved away from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica. The calving
occurred sometime between Monday 10th July and Wednesday 12th July 2017,
when a 5,800 square km section of Larsen C finally broke away. The
iceberg, which is likely to be named A68, weighs more than a trillion
tonnes.  Its volume is twice that of Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes.
Map of Larsen C, overlaid with NASA MODIS thermal image from July 12
2017, showing the iceberg has calved
The final breakthrough was detected in data from NASA's Aqua MODIS
satellite instrument, which images in the thermal infrared at a
resolution of 1km, and confirmed by NASA's Suomi VIIRS instrument.
http://www.projectmidas.org/blog/calving/
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/885101922549727232
https://twitter.com/simon_rp84/status/885098754671620099
http://www.climatesignals.org/headlines/events/larsen-c-ice-shelf-calving-and-retreat-2017
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=antarctic&l=VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,VIIRS_SNPP_DayNightBand_ENCC,Coastlines&t=2017-07-12&z=3&v=-2570154.5783290304,937557.1566580613,-1783722.5783290304,1313877.1566580613

*Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children>*
Next best actions are selling your car, avoiding flights and going
vegetarian, according to study into true impacts of different green
lifestyle choices
Overpopulation has been a controversial factor in the climate change
debate, with some pointing out that an American is responsible for 40
times the emissions produced by a Bangladeshi and that overconsumption
is the crucial issue. The new research comes a day after researchers
blamed overpopulation and overconsumption on the "biological
annihilation" of wildlife which has started a mass extinction of species
on the planet.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children

*Robert Mac on secrets of comedy <http://evidencesquared.com/ep17/>*
In our new podcast episode, stand-up comedian Robert Mac gives a master
class on comedy and story-telling, explaining how to show-don't-tell,
lay breadcrumbs, funnel your stories from wide to narrow, and understand
your audience.
Video Robert Mac interview, part 1 <https://youtu.be/ASKDgH8SKxw>
Richard Pauli's comment:
A man sentenced to hang, slowly steps up the gallows, as the hangman
puts the noose around his neck, he says "Gee I wish I had a good global
warming joke."
http://evidencesquared.com/ep17/ https://youtu.be/ASKDgH8SKxw

*Scientist Michael Mann on 'Low-Probability But Catastrophic' Climate
Scenarios*
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/scientist-michael-mann-on-climate-scenarios.html>
Shortly after this week's cover story was published, Mann took to
Facebook to voice some criticism of it - primarily about its framing,
which he described as counterproductively "doomist." Personally, I don't
think we're doomed, just facing down a very big challenge. But I own up
to the alarmism in the story, which I describe as an effort to survey
the worst-case-scenario climate landscape. We have suffered from a
terrible failure of imagination when it comes to climate change, I
argue, and that is in part because most of us do not understand the real
risks and horrors that warming can bring, especially with unabated
carbon emissions. For the sake of clarity: I do not believe that the
planet will become uninhabitable in 2100. As I write in the story, our
complacency will surely be shaken before we get there. But I do believe
that it is important to contemplate the possibility that parts of the
tropics and equator will become cripplingly hot, for instance, or that
our agriculture will suffer huge losses, so that we may be motivated to
take action before we get to those eventualities. And I do believe that,
absent a significant change in human behavior across the globe, they are
plausible eventualities.
Mann also took issue with a few particular points of science. He
stressed that the danger of the carbon frozen in the arctic permafrost
was not a "game-changing arctic methane time bomb" and, separately, he
suggested that the recent upward revision to a particular satellite data
set on warming was less significant than I made it out to be. My purpose
in raising the permafrost issue was to illustrate how uncertain much of
our current modeling can be, not to suggest a sudden methane release
would be the major cause of devastating warming: I based none of the
warming scenarios described in the piece on a dramatic methane release
effect but rather on the high end of the IPCC's business-as-usual
estimate, which gave a roughly 5 percent chance of our hitting eight
degrees of warming by 2100. Regarding the data set, I grant that the
upward revision may have been less meaningful to the scientists close to
the data, who understood it as a revision toward expectations, than it
was to journalists covering the development from afar, who focused on
the fact of the revision itself.
That seems like to me a really scary and also quite underappreciated by
the broader public, the effect on food.
No, absolutely. Food, water, land, you know? The basic resources that we
rely upon. All of them are adversely impacted by climate change and with
a growing global population. So you've got more competition over fewer
resources among a growing global population. It's a recipe for a
conflict nightmare. And this is why when you talk to national-security
experts, many of them will tell you that climate change may be the
greatest security threat we face in the years ahead, it's what they call
a threat multiplier. It heightens existing tensions, it heightens
conflict, especially when you're talking about more competition for
fewer resources. And interestingly enough, and this is not actually that
widely appreciated, this is sort of a dystopian scenario that Hollywood
imagined decades ago. The movie Soylent Green, with Charlton Heston - if
you watch the very beginning of the movie, it's briefly mentioned, but
the underlying cause of that dystopian future is global warming, is
climate change. So there was - it was sort of an oddly prescient, some
of these early-'70s dystopian novels and films and Soylent Green foresaw
exactly the sort of future that we're talking about where climate change
leads to decreased resources. In that case, it was about food for a
growing global population, and it's a dystopian future. A worst-case
scenario - a worst-case future does not look that different from the
dystopian visions that Hollywood has already provided us...
It's really interesting to me to think that in the '70s we were starting
to get an understanding that the climate was warming,
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/scientist-michael-mann-on-climate-scenarios.html
*

**Are Humans Doomed? A Q and A With The Author Of NY Mag's Terrifying
Climate Change Story
<http://gothamist.com/2017/07/10/climate_change_ny_mag.php>*
  I guess my first question is, is there any hope?
Oh, I would say there's quite a lot of hope. The conceit of the piece
was to survey worst case scenarios in order to ultimately motivate
people to action. But one of the things that I worried about as I put it
together was that readers would have a fatalistic response to it and I
don't really think that that's appropriate. At some point in the piece,
I talk about almost all of the damage that we've done to the planet, in
the sense that global warming has occurred over the course of the
lifespan of the Greatest Generation. So ultimately, I think, this could
be as short a story as a story of two generations. But at the very least
we have another lifespan to figure it out, and to take the necessary
actions to forestall at least the gruesome worst case scenarios that I
sketched out in the piece....
It's interesting, it's something that a handful of scientists that I
talked to in researching and reporting this piece mentioned to me, the
risk that alarmism would lead to fatalism. While basically everybody
that I talked to was on board with the idea that the public should be
more scared than they are and should know more about these fears than
they do, a number of them also expressed that reservation to me. Since
the piece has come out, a couple of them and a couple of scientists I
didn't speak to have said similar things on Twitter and elsewhere.
First of all, I should say, I'm going to be publishing a bunch of
interviews with some of these scientists over the course of the week.
They're interesting in their own right, and they're all fascinating,
interesting people. I stand in awe of all of them. But my feeling all
along, as a civilian, as an amateur observer of this issue, it didn't
seem plausible to me that there was more risk at scaring people too much
than there was at not scaring them enough. I may be in a little bubble,
and the people I talked to may have a very different reaction to the
public at large, and it's possible that some of these scientists are
right and people will shut down. But my feeling was, and is, if there's
a one percent chance that we've set off a chain reaction that could end
the human race, then that should be something that the public knows and
thinks about.
http://gothamist.com/2017/07/10/climate_change_ny_mag.php

*'The Models Are Too Conservative': Paleontologist Peter Ward on What
Past Mass Extinctions Can Teach Us About Climate Change Today
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/what-mass-extinctions-teach-us-about-climate-change-today.html>*
By David Wallace-Wells
People always think the intensity of a mass extinction should be related
to the extinction - what percentage of creatures were extinct.
Increasingly, we're thinking that's a metric, but a more important
metric that tells you something about the nature of the devastation is
how different is the fauna that comes afterward.
I think people really don't appreciate how much, over the coming
decades, nature will be at war with the way that we live.
Absolutely. Absolutely. Look at the storms that are taking place now.
You talk about habitability. I've been talking about heat. At what point
do hurricanes in the tropics make living there just not worth it? You're
being mowed down by these huge number of tornadoes. Sooner or later
people are going to get the hell out of Dodge. But this is the sort of
storm ferocity that's coming.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/what-mass-extinctions-teach-us-about-climate-change-today.html

*Four degrees and beyond: the potential for a global temperature
increase of four degrees and its implications*
<http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/369/1934/4>
Mark New
Published 29 November 2010    DOI: 10.1098/rsta.2010.0304
The idea of an international symposium focused on 'Four degrees and
beyond' germinated in late 2008 after discussions with colleagues who
were concerned that there was a large gap between the emerging policy
target of keeping global warming below two degrees and some of the
emissions-reduction scenarios that were being proposed in both the
academic and policy literature. Many emissions-policy scenarios had (i)
underestimated the rate of increase of emissions in the last decade and
(ii) been unrealistically optimistic about when global emissions might
peak, given the time it takes to transition out of carbon-based energy
systems. A pessimistic, or some might say realistic, appraisal of the
slow progress of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change (UNFCCC) process, also suggested that avoiding two degrees would
be highly unlikely, and that the chances of warming by four degrees in
this century much less unlikely than previously thought. At the same
time, the Oxford-based author Mark Lynas had just published his book
'Six degrees: our future on a hotter planet', and he had often commented
on the scarcity of any scientific literature on the nature and impacts
of climate changes larger than four degrees...
So, the Four degrees and beyond conference took place in September 2009,
where we asked participants to specifically address the questions of (i)
how probable a warming of four degrees or higher might be, (ii) what the
consequences of such a warming might be for ecosystems and society,
(iii) how to adapt to such large changes, and (iv) how to keep the risk
of high-end climate change as low as possible.
..The papers in this issue that look at impacts and adaptation
challenges in a four degrees world are sobering: the possible impacts
are large, in some cases, transformational, and the challenges in
understanding and developing responses to these impacts considerable.
Hopefully, this Theme Issue will stimulate much-needed further research
that explores the implications of and solutions to high-end climate warming.
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/369/1934/4

*FloodList UN – 1995 to 2015, Flood Disasters Affected 2.3 Billion and
Killed 157,000 <http://floodlist.com/>*
The European Environment Agency recently published a report on flooding
in Europe, "Floodplain management: reducing flood risks and restoring
healthy ecosystems", where researchers examined data on floods dating
from 1980 to 2010, and found significant increases in flooding – which
will only get worse as time goes on.
http://floodlist.com/

Opinion Doomsday scenarios are as harmful as climate change denial
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/doomsday-scenarios-are-as-harmful-as-climate-change-denial/2017/07/12/880ed002-6714-11e7-a1d7-9a32c91c6f40_story.html>
It is important to communicate both the threat and the opportunity in
the climate challenge. Those paying attention are worried, and should
be, but there are also reasons for hope. The active engagement of many
cities, states and corporations, and the commitments of virtually every
nation (minus one) is a very hopeful sign.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/doomsday-scenarios-are-as-harmful-as-climate-change-denial/2017/07/12/880ed002-6714-11e7-a1d7-9a32c91c6f40_story.html

*(opinion) The Right Calls Climate Change a Leap of Faith. But Denial Is
a Leap into the Abyss.
<http://inthesetimes.com/article/20321/climate-change-right-wing-religion-environmentalism>*
To prevent the kind of runaway warming that will unravel human
civilization, we're left with two options: sharp and immediate
reductions in our carbon emissions, or a game-changing technological
solution at some future point, such as capturing carbon and storing it
underground. More or less by default, we're betting "our collective
future on being able to bury millions of tons of carbon," as David
Roberts notes in Vox.
The Right is correct that it requires an element of faith to accept such
facts, since most of us don't have the expertise or resources to verify
them. But the alternatives involve a much greater leap of faith, and
land us on wild theories about the total incompetence of climate
scientists or a global, leftist conspiracy that has successfully duped
the entire world, save for one political movement and one political
party in the United States.
There is a priceless, disquieting passage in which Jesus says that
whoever eats his flesh and drinks his blood "remains in me, and I in
him." To which, as the account has it, his disciples replied, "This is a
difficult teaching. Who can accept it?" Many of them then abandoned him.
And not without reason-a lot of what he said sounded pretty much insane.
Taking him seriously would raise basic questions about our ways of being
the world, and would force a revolution in our ways of relating to one
another and sharing resources...
The same is true of climate change. At its core, there is a teaching as
difficult as that of prophets and revolutionaries, and no less difficult
to get your mind around. We face a crisis that demands a revolution in
our traditional ways of thinking-a conversion, if you will. The stakes
may not be eternal life, but they are substantial: life on this planet
for this species, and for the millions of other species whose fate
depends on our behavior and choices. These things are true. They demand
action and focus. Whether we're up to that challenge is another matter...
You can say that the idea that carbon emissions will destroy human
civilization is a secular substitute for sin, as Michael Crichton
thought. Really, it's just a matter of physics that presents us with the
most fearsome spiritual challenge of all: Not whether a divine being
will transform and save our souls, but whether we can find the political
imagination and will to transform and save ourselves.
http://inthesetimes.com/article/20321/climate-change-right-wing-religion-environmentalism

*This Day in Climate History July 13, 2008
<http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/07/13/26102/schwarzenegger-bush-2/>-
from D.R. Tucker*
July 13, 2008: In an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos,
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger denounces the Bush
administration's stubborn refusal to recognize the risk of human-caused
climate change.
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/07/13/26102/schwarzenegger-bush-2//

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List