[TheClimate.Vote] June 10, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jun 10 10:13:42 EDT 2017

/June 10, 2017/

    Politics, culture or theology? Why evangelicals back Trump on global
    warming
    <https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/eco-catholic/politics-culture-or-theology-why-evangelicals-back-trump-global-warming>

"I worship Jesus, not Mother Earth," Erickson tweeted. "He calls us all
to be good stewards of the planet, but doesn't mean I have to care about
global warming."
For example, new research indicates that on environmental issues, at
least, conservative Christian theology may be the driving force behind
the sharply divergent views of evangelicals.
"Even in the 21st century, when politics seem to be of utmost
importance, differences in support for environmental spending among
different religious groups have nothing to do with political
perspectives," Schwadel said. "Theological views seem to be the biggest
factor explaining differences between evangelicals and other Americans."
Basically, if you believe that God created the world in six actual days,
and that it will end in the twinkling of an eye, then you might be more
prone to short-term thinking about the environment.
In the wake of the ridicule directed toward fundamentalists after the
famous 1925 Scopes trial in Tennessee – in which a teacher was found
guilty of teaching about evolution – conservative Christian resentment
toward powerful elites and intellectuals grew even more intense.
Evangelicals, Worthen said, were trained "to see the Bible as a code
book that, properly interpreted, could reveal the true meaning of
current events no matter what the fancy scientists and political elites
would tell you."
"The truth is we are all going to die. But it won't be because of global
warming," Erickson wrote in an epic response that threw the Book of
Revelation back in the face of liberals and scientists. "I have read the
end of the book. There will be famine. There will be drought. There will
be flood. And there will be war.  Then there will be a last day where we
stand before our Maker are are called to account.
"Worrying about global warming and social justice won’t get you past the
pearly gates," Erickson continued. "Saving souls will. But it is hard to
save souls when you don't believe in the God of creation because you are
too busy worshipping that creation.""
https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/eco-catholic/politics-culture-or-theology-why-evangelicals-back-trump-global-warming

*"Do you believe?" is the wrong question to ask public officials about
climate change
<https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/6/9/15760102/climate-change-belief>*
by David Roberts
Policy, not the contents of hearts and minds, is what matters.
  ...most White House reporters lack the background knowledge to go more
than an inch deep. The one thing about climate change that they seem to
know, and feel confident about, is that it's real - it's really
happening. So that's what they've seized on, asking Trump officials
about it again and again.
The administration isn't helping by dodging and weaving, though it may
be a necessity when speaking for a volatile, thoughtless manchild.
Jennifer Dlouhy and Christopher Flavelle have a great account of the
serial dodges in Bloomberg: "Trump's Climate View Is Closely Held Secret
at Leaky White House."
...Of all the aspects of Trump's Paris decision, and his
administration's approach to climate and energy more generally, what he
really, truly believes, in his heart, is of the least significance to
the American public. We've got to get past this.
The dance that skilled conservatives do around climate "belief"
It's way too easy to talk around the belief question.
To be sure, Pruitt is not very good at it. His press conference was a
semi-coherent farrago of lies, contradictions, and non-sequiturs - even
loopier than Trump's Paris speech, which is saying something.
But a moderately intelligent and well-spoken person can tap dance around
the question fairly easily. Witness UN Ambassador Nikki Haley:
*(video) Nikki Haley FULL Interview with Jake Tapper on CNN State Of The
Union. <https://youtu.be/j3RWShCjoEM>*
https://youtu.be/j3RWShCjoEM
*1) The climate is changing.* This is how you get the CNN headline:
"Haley: 'President Trump believes the climate is changing'."
*2) Anthropogenic (man-made) carbon emissions play some role, or are
"part of the equation," but we're not sure how much. *This is usually
enough to throw questioners off the scent, but remember: It's false.
*3) Measures to reduce emissions are impossible, onerous, and job-killing.*
Health care journalism is not dominated by the question of whether
politicians believe in the germ theory of disease (though, yes, there
are germ theory deniers). Climate change journalism should not be
dominated by debates over basic facts either. Human beings are causing
rapid atmospheric warming. We know this. We can go ahead and treat it
like a fact, a phenomenon in the world, not a debating point.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/6/9/15760102/climate-change-belief

    Once Again, *Climate Change*Cited as Trigger for War
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/once-again-climate-change-cited-as-trigger-for-war/>

A new report identifies 12 "epicenters" worldwide where changing climate
could spark conflict
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/once-again-climate-change-cited-as-trigger-for-war/
== *Release: Experts Identify 12 Major Epicenters of Climate Risks to
International Security
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/06/09/release-experts-identify-12-major-epicenters-of-climate-risks-to-international-security/>*
The report includes analysis of 12 significant climate and security
epicenters (also presented in a video animation
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsAqPBKYqI&feature=youtu.be>). These
epicenters were chosen due to their nature as risks to critical parts of
the international nation-state system (food, water, trade, health,
cities, sovereignty) that can ripple out into serious global security
crises, especially if happening in tandem. The epicenters span the
globe, and many are fundamentally interconnected. These epicenters
already exist, and all are likely to continue to intensify in the
absence of adequate ameliorative solutions. They include the following,
covered by authors with a broad range of expertise:

 1. *Disappearing Nations: *Many low-lying nations are in danger of
    being completely submerged by rising seas (Andrew Holland and Esther
    Babson);
 2. *Conflict Over Melting Water Towers:* Climate change can increase
    tensions and conflict among the 4 billion people dependent on
    mountain "water towers" (Troy Sternberg);
 3. *Conflict Over Fisheries:* A warming ocean is driving critical fish
    stocks into contested waters, contributing to conflict between
    states (Michael Thomas);
 4. *Tensions in a Melting Arctic:* Increased activity in a melting
    Arctic raises new security and geopolitical risks (Katarzyna Zysk
    and David Titley);
 5. *Weaponized Water:* As climate change exacerbates water stress,
    non-state actors, including international terrorist organizations,
    are increasingly using water as a weapon (Marcus King and Julia
    Burnell);
 6. *Disrupted Strategic Trade Routes: *Climate change will place
    strains on maritime straits that are critical for global trade and
    security (Adam H. Goldstein and Constantine Samaras);
 7. *Compromised Coffee Trade:* Climate change may also disrupt critical
    global trading networks, like the coffee trade. which currently
    supports 125 million people worldwide (Shiloh Fetzek);
 8. *More (and Worse) Pandemics:* Climate change may increase the
    likelihood and range of pandemics, which could threaten global
    security (Kaleem Hawa);
 9. *Flooded Coastal Megacities:* Rapidly expanding coastal megacities
    are threatened by climate impacts like sea level rise, which can
    destabilize nations (Janani Vivekenanda and Neil Bhatiya);
10. I*ncreased Displacement and Migration:* Climate change is becoming a
    more significant driver of migration and displacement (Robert McLeman);
11. *Enhanced Nuclear Risks:* Climate change, nuclear security, and
    policies that are not sensitive to both simultaneously, can increase
    regional and global security threats (Christine Parthemore);

https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/06/09/release-experts-identify-12-major-epicenters-of-climate-risks-to-international-security/
Where*climate change*is most likely to induce food violence
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170608123718.htm>
While climate change is expected to lead to more violence related to
food scarcity, new research suggests that the strength of a country's
government plays a vital role in preventing uprisings.. "A capable
government is even more important to keeping the peace than good weather,"
   When examining countries' vulnerabilities, the researchers analyzed a
host of factors including a country's dependence on agricultural
production, its imports, the strength of its political institutions and
its wealth.
"We found that the most vulnerable countries are those that have weak
political institutions, are relatively poor and rely more on
agriculture," he said.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170608123718.htm
=== *(video) Epicenters of Climate and Security
<https://youtu.be/XrsAqPBKYqI>*
This video accompanies the Center for Climate and Security's report
"Epicenters of Climate and Security: The New Geostrategic Landscape of
the Anthropocene." Full report available here:
www.climateandsecurity.org/epicenters
Report page: www.climateandsecurity.org/epicenters
Video: https://youtu.be/XrsAqPBKYqI

    *Climate change*misconceptions common among teachers, study finds
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170607123835.htm>

Recent studies have shown that misconceptions about climate change and
the scientific studies that have addressed climate change are pervasive
among the U.S. public. Now, a new study by Benjamin Herman, assistant
professor in the Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum in the
University of Missouri College of Education, shows that many secondary
school science teachers also possess several of these same misconceptions.
While the majority of the surveyed teachers accurately responded that
fossil fuel use, automobiles and industry emissions were major causes of
climate change, they also exhibited notable climate change
misconceptions. For instance, nearly all of the Puerto Rico teachers and
more than 70 percent of Florida teachers believed incorrectly that ozone
layer depletion and pesticide use were at least minor, yet significant,
causes of climate change. Additionally, Herman says that nearly 50
percent of Florida teachers and nearly 70 percent of Puerto Rico
teachers think that climate change science must be studied through
controlled experiments to be valid.
. Because of existing misconceptions and misinformation regarding
climate change, science teachers have a crucial professional and ethical
responsibility to accurately convey to their students how climate change
is studied and why scientists believe the climate is changing."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170607123835.htm

    *Climate change*is catching up with gardeners: just look at the
    Chelsea flower show
    <https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2017/jun/09/climate-change-is-catching-up-with-gardeners-just-look-at-the-chelsea-flower-show>

It hit me like a smack in the face. This year's RHS Chelsea flower show
was quite blatant in showcasing the effects of climate change; you may
not have noticed though. Most people visiting the show or tuning into
the BBC coverage were homed in on the increasingly more naturalistic
planting style, the reduced number of large show gardens and the amazing
lupins.
However, the increasing temperatures that our planet is experiencing are
catching up with us gardeners. While the changes may be subtle in our
own gardens, when you see them distilled and condensed, as I did at the
world's greatest flower show, the dawning realisation that they are real
comes as quite a shock.
The first thing I noticed on entering the show was just how hot it was.
It was a pleasure to walk around the show gardens on such a lovely sunny
day, but in the back of my mind I had the realisation that the heat was
part of an extended period of drought that the southeast, and the UK
more generally, had been suffering. On talking to the gardeners and
designers I heard many an exclamation of "I can't wait for it to rain".
After such a very warm, wet winter in 2016 and then this, the driest
winter for 20 years, I wondered if these unpredictable weather events
are what we should come to expect in future?
The Chelsea flower show
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/chelseaflowershow> still leads
when it comes to gardening fashion, but I think the trend we all need to
be looking to for the future of Britain's gardens will be lead by our
changing climate. We need to be brave in our gardens, especially given
the unpredictability of the issue in hand. It's an envelope I feel needs
to be pushed, and I intend to be there at the front of this charge.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2017/jun/09/climate-change-is-catching-up-with-gardeners-just-look-at-the-chelsea-flower-show
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/chelseaflowershow
=============
*Chelsea flower show: 'abandoned Maltese quarry' wins top prize
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/23/chelsea-flower-show-james-basson-abandoned-maltese-quarry-wins-top-prize>*
It was not supposed to be pretty, but the judges certainly found it
impressive. James Basson's take on an abandoned Maltese limestone quarry
has won best in show at this year's Chelsea flower show.
The construction, which includes slabs of limestone and evergreens,
perennials and ground cover, was designed to show the interaction
between humans and nature on the island, Basson has said, and draws
attention to the balance that needs to be maintained.
"The message behind the designer's creation is that humans need to take
action to preserve the fragile environment of our planet. Sustainable
water disposal, recycling and composting: all are vital if Malta is to
save its distinct and delicate landscapes," said the Royal Horticultural
Society, which runs the annual flower show in London.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/23/chelsea-flower-show-james-basson-abandoned-maltese-quarry-wins-top-prize
===============
*The M&G Garden
<https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-chelsea-flower-show/Gardens/2017/the-m-g-garden-2017>*
The designer's vision of a garden created from a disused limestone
quarry includes a large botanical range of flora from Malta. Designed
with great impact it delivers a stern message about the vulnerability of
Malta's natural landscapes and resources
https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-chelsea-flower-show/Gardens/2017/the-m-g-garden-2017
=====
*(video) The M&G Garden from concept to conception at RHS Chelsea Flower
Show 2017 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=l9kONEkvTM8>*
RHS - Royal Horticultural Society
Uploaded on May 24, 2017
See how the design of the M&G garden comes to life from James Basson's
original concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=l9kONEkvTM8

<http://youtu.be/0fkKnfk4k40>*This Day in Climate History June 10, 1963
<http://youtu.be/0fkKnfk4k40>  -  from D.R. Tucker*/
/

    / President John F. Kennedy's "Peace Speech" - considered one of his
    most powerful speeches
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University_speech> and one
    of the great philosophical statements by any US president
    /In a commencement address at American University, President Kennedy
    famously observes:
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we
    all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all
    cherish our children’s futures. And we are all mortal."
    http://youtu.be/0fkKnfk4k40

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List