[TheClimate.Vote] June 19, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jun 19 09:21:12 EDT 2017

/June 19, 2017
/
*(VIDEO) Climate & Extreme Weather News #35 (June 15th-June 18th 2017)*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FylyfHeVzmg>
Surging wildfire activity in a grassland biome
Portugal fire news video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FylyfHeVzmg

    We Can't Fight*Climate Change*if We Keep Lying to Ourselves
    <http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/we_cant_fight_climate_change_if_we_keep_lying_to_ourselves_20170618>

By Chris Hedges
We must embrace a despair that unflinchingly acknowledges the bleak
future that will be created by climate change. We must see in any act of
resistance, even if it appears futile, a moral victory.
African-Americans understand, in a way perhaps only the oppressed can
grasp, that our character and dignity will be measured by our ability to
name and resist the malignant forces that seem to hold us in a death
grip. Catastrophic climate change is inevitable. Our technology and
science will not save us. The future of humanity is now in peril. At
best, we can mitigate the crisis. We cannot avert it. We are fighting
for our lives. If we do not rapidly build militant movements of
sustained revolt, movements willing to break the law and attack the
structures of the corporate state, we will join the 99.9 percent of
species that have vanished since life first appeared on earth.
"In these circumstances refusing to accept that we face a very
unpleasant future becomes perverse," Clive Hamilton writes in "Requiem
for a Species." "Denial requires a willful misreading of the science, a
romantic view of the ability of political institutions to respond, or
faith in divine intervention."
"The fear is that at a certain point we cross the line and there's a
tipping point," he said. "The primary cause of greenhouse gas emissions
will become the breakdown of these natural systems, and then it really
is out of our control."..
Failed states, proliferating in Latin America, Asia, Africa and the
Middle East, are ruled by phantom governments...
One of the great dangers of state failure in the global south in the
short term is the hardening and drift towards increasingly
authoritarian, xenophobic, quasi-fascist type of politics in the global
north and developing states."..
On one July night in 1977 the power went out in New York City. There
were citywide riots. Arsonists started 1,037 fires. Looters smashed
their way into 1,616 stores. There was over $300 million in damage. This
Hobbesian nightmare will become normal in more and more parts of the
globe as we traverse the sixth great mass extinction, brought on by the
activity of human beings...
The greatest existential crisis of our time is to at once accept the
tragic reality before us and find the courage to resist.
  It is comforting to pretend this is not happening, to foster false
hopes and fool ourselves with the myth of human progress, but these
illusions only tranquilize us at a moment when we should be rising in
collective fury against those who are orchestrating our doom...
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/we_cant_fight_climate_change_if_we_keep_lying_to_ourselves_20170618

*The latest threat to Antarctica: an insect and plant invasion
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/17/antarctica-insect-plant-invasion-house-flies-mosses-warmer-climate>*
Rise in tourism and warmer climate bring house flies - and the growth of
mosses in which they can live
Antarctica's pristine ice-white environment is going green and facing an
unexpected threat - from the common house fly. Scientists say that as
temperatures soar in the polar region, invading plants and insects,
including the fly, pose a major conservation threat.
More and more of these invaders, in the form of larvae or seeds, are
surviving in coastal areas around the south pole, where temperatures
have risen by more than 3C over the past three decades. Glaciers have
retreated, exposing more land which has been colonised by mosses that
have been found to be growing more quickly and thickly than ever before
- providing potential homes for invaders. The process is particularly
noticeable in the Antarctic peninsula, which has been shown to be the
region of the continent that is most vulnerable to global warming.
As a result, the Antarctic's scarce plant life - which currently grows
on only 0.3% of the continent - has responded dramatically, according to
British researchers writing in Current Biology. The group, led by Dan
Charman of Exeter University, studied cores drilled into moss banks on
islands off the peninsula and found that the rate of moss growth is four
or five times higher than it was before 1950. "The sensitivity of moss
growth to past temperature rises suggests that ecosystems will alter
rapidly under future warming, leading to major changes in the biology
and landscape of the region," said Charman. "In short, we could see
Antarctic greening to parallel well-established observations in the Arctic."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/17/antarctica-insect-plant-invasion-house-flies-mosses-warmer-climate

*Researchers voice concern about warmer Arctic waters and effects on
fish
<https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2017/06/researchers-voice-concern-about-warmer-arctic-waters-and-effects-fish>*
"We have never before been in this situation", says marine researcher
Mette Skern-Mauritzen
ByAtle Staalesen
The waters in the Arctic are warming at an alarming pace, researchers
from the Norwegian Institute of Marine Research say. That has
consequences for life in the sea, and for the work of the marine
researchers, the Marine Research Institute informs.
"When assessing the changes over the last 15 years, we see that the
development has progressed incredibly quickly", says Mette Skern-Mauritzen.
She is heading a research group at IMR which looks at consequences of
the warmer Arctic sea water.
"When the temperature increases, the fish species move towards the
north", she says. "The stocks which are fond of warm water spread out
over bigger areas and increase in numbers", she adds
That concerns the Atlantic cod, the key fish in the Norwegian and
Barents Seas.
Especially the traditional Arctic species come in squeeze from the
trend. These are normally small fish which live close to the sea bottom.
The have to move further north to survive, because their traditional
water are simply becoming too warm, the researchers say.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2017/06/researchers-voice-concern-about-warmer-arctic-waters-and-effects-fish

*/This Day in Climate History June 19,//1984 /
<http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1984/61984a.htm> - from
D.R. Tucker*

    In remarks that would prompt Fox News to butcher him as a RINO
    /(Republican In Name Only)/ today, President Ronald Reagan declares:

    "What is a conservative after all but one who conserves, one who is
    committed to protecting and holding close the things by which we
    live. Modern conservatives in America want to protect and preserve
    the values and traditions by which the Nation has flourished for
    more than two centuries.

    "We want to protect and conserve the idea that is at the heart of
    our national experience, an idea that can be reduced to one word:
    freedom. And we want to protect and conserve the land on which we
    live - our countryside, our rivers and mountains, our plains and
    meadows and forests. This is our patrimony. This is what we leave to
    our children. And our great moral responsibility is to leave it to
    them either as we found it or better than we found
    it."http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1984/61984a.htm

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List