[TheClimate.Vote] March 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 3 09:14:21 EST 2017

/March 3, 2017        Climate news and some wrangling over language/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/02/climate-scientists-say-likelihood-of-extreme-summers-surging-due-to-global-warming
*Climate scientists say likelihood of extreme summers surging due to
global warming
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/02/climate-scientists-say-likelihood-of-extreme-summers-surging-due-to-global-warming>*
Report's authors say Sydney unprepared for knock-on effects of a
significant increase in average summer temperatures.
"In the future, a summer as hot as this past summer in NSW is likely to
happen roughly once every five years," the report said.
(Australia) Energy regulators warned last month that the electricity
network was not equipped to supply enough power to cover the demand from
air conditioners in Sydney for the the heatwave on 9 to 11 February.

    Trump is a climate change denialist who has repeatedlyaccused
    climate scientists of conspiring
    <http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-global-warming-hoax/>to hoodwink
    the public. Trump pickedanother climate change denialist
    <http://www.salon.com/2017/02/17/scott-pruitt-may-sound-reasonable-on-tv-but-trumps-epa-nominee-is-essentially-a-climate-change-denier/>,
    Scott Pruitt, to head the Environmental Protection Agency.Pruitt
    didn't even bother to mention climate change
    <https://thinkprogress.org/pruitt-epa-speech-climate-change-public-health-41717efee746#.6357f77la>in
    his first speech to EPA staff, and made it clear that his first
    priority is toeliminate the Clean Power Plan
    <https://thinkprogress.org/scott-pruitt-wall-street-journal-clean-power-plan-epa-a2b622e71701#.uehlfe2bb>,
    an Obama administration effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
    from power plants nationwide.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/02/conservatives-are-willing-to-combat-climate-change-when-its-not-called-climate-change/

    Conservatives are willing to combat*climate change*— when it's not
    called "*climate change*"
    <http://www.salon.com/2017/03/02/conservatives-are-willing-to-combat-climate-change-when-its-not-called-climate-change/>

Salon 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Conservatives have a knee-jerk reactions to the phrase, so
    environmentalists are finding ways to reframe the issue.
    The election of Donald Trump as president is catastrophic in many
    ways, but perhaps one of the worst is what it means for the environment.
    The grim fact of the matter is that we cannot count on the federal
    government to step up efforts to deal with climate change — for the
    next four years at least. So some scientists are turning toward
    leaders in local governments, hoping they can use what power they
    have to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the damage already
    being created by global warming.
    ...The problem is that many communities have conservative
    populations that, for ideological reasons, refuse to accept that
    climate change is real, and as such will resist local leaders who
    attempt interventions that appear to be rooted in an acceptance of
    the scientific facts. But there may be a way to prompt conservative
    constituents to agree to actions that would address climate change:
    packaging the policies using other terms.
    ... Some of the city mayors that Romsdahl's team spoke with
    explicitly understood that framing environmental policies in terms
    of self-interest, rather than mentioning the fight against climate
    change, was a political necessity.
    ...One mayor, for instance, told researchers pro-environment
    policies were best framed in "terms of economic benefit [and]
    resource protection" because it was necessary to "garner support
    from residents who did not agree with climate change."
    ...It's a shame that anything associated with liberal ideology is so
    demonized that rational discussions with conservatives become nearly
    impossible. We see this problem with the Affordable Care Act as
    well. When it's called "Obamacare," many conservatives will refuse
    to support it, even if they like the specific policies contained in
    the law.
    ...Unfortunately, we can't wait around for conservatives to get over
    themselves in order to deal with the problem of climate change. The
    effects are happening now and must be dealt with. If reframing the
    issue in terms that are easier for conservatives to swallow helps
    get important policy changes in motion, activists and leaders
    shouldn't hesitate to use a little spin.

http://theconversation.com/how-to-talk-climate-change-across-the-aisle-focus-on-adaptive-solutions-rather-than-causes-69112

    How to talk climate change across the aisle: Focus on adaptive
    solutions, rather than causes
    <http://theconversation.com/how-to-talk-climate-change-across-the-aisle-focus-on-adaptive-solutions-rather-than-causes-69112>

The Conversation US 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    ..Now we are entering a period of adaptation, in which we must try
    to reduce the impact of the coming changes. Examples include
    changing agricultural practices, erecting seawalls, and new
    approaches to architecture and living arrangements...
    In some ways it is a relief to articulate ways to adapt to climate
    change. More coping options are better than fewer, right? Well, not
    necessarily. Their costs and risks differ, their effects are
    uncertain and varied, and decisions that will drive their deployment
    can derive from radically different evaluations and judgments...
    We should not choose between mitigation or adaptation because we
    need both. We cannot lose sight of this dual need. But we will
    continue to face very demanding decisions about how to allocate
    finite resources – money, time, effort and so on – across multiple
    strategic options. This is where tomorrow’s difficult conversations
    will unfold...
    Theories offer competing predictions on whether engaging in
    adaptation will reduce our mitigation efforts. People may feel less
    urgency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through mitigation if we
    interpret our adaptation as progress and preparedness, lessening our
    “felt need” to mitigate...
    On the other hand, people may come to see both mitigation and
    adaptation as a commitment to doing all that is needed to cope with
    climate change, and view the two solution strategies as
    complementary rather than substitutes.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-environment-congress-idUSKBN16905I?feedType=RSS

<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-environment-congress-idUSKBN16905I?feedType=RSS>

    Republican Issa joins bipartisan House caucus on*climate change*
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-environment-congress-idUSKBN16905I?feedType=RSS>

Reuters 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

Trump, a Republican, has expressed skepticism about*climate change*,
speculating during his campaign that global warming was "a hoax" and
concern over it was "a money-making industry

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/republican-war-on-science-targets-children-in-4-more-states/article/486920#ixzz4aD3dVw8a
*Republican anti-science bills target schools in four states
<http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/republican-war-on-science-targets-children-in-4-more-states/article/486920#ixzz4aD3dVw8a>*

    Republican state lawmakers in four more states, many of them
    adherents of a theological worldview with no basis in science, are
    advancing legislation allowing educators to teach "alternative
    fact"-based pseudoscience if they believe it to be scientific.

http://www.livescience.com/58078-record-breaking-antarctica-temperatures.html

    Balmy!  Antarctica Hit Record-Breaking 63 Degrees F in 2015
    <http://www.livescience.com/58078-record-breaking-antarctica-temperatures.html>

Live Science 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

Temperatures on the Antarctic continent reached a record-breaking high
of 63.5 degrees Fahrenheit (17.5 degrees Celsius) in 2015, according to
a new report of balmy records for the bottom of the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/26/weve-reached-the-point-where-we-need-these-bizarre-technologies-to-stop-climate-change/
*The suddenly urgent quest to remove carbon dioxide from the air
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/26/weve-reached-the-point-where-we-need-these-bizarre-technologies-to-stop-climate-change/>*

    The device that Lackner's using to capture carbon dioxide doesn't
    look like much: A transparent box with what resembles two stacks of
    lasagna noodles that can be lowered into it. The "pasta" actually
    contains what Lackner calls a sorbent – an absorptive material. It's
    made up of a hard plastic resin – a synthetic analogue of natural
    substances like amber — that has been crushed into tiny pieces and
    then embedded in strips of softer plastic. And Lackner has shown
    that in the open air, it binds to that invisible gas that has caused
    the world so much trouble — carbon dioxide — and so acts as a kind
    of sponge to pull it out of the atmosphere.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/carboncapture/
    *Four ways to suck carbon out of thin air
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/carboncapture/>*
    Everybody knows that it's important to limit how much carbon dioxide
    we emit into the atmosphere. But now, scientists are attacking the
    problem at the other end by exploring ways to extract carbon dioxide
    out of the air. Related story: The quest for negative carbon emissions

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/03/01/study-shows-massive-global-permafrost-melt-underway-while-trump-mentions-climate-not
*Study Shows Massive Global Permafrost Melt Underway While Trump
Mentions Climate Not Once
<http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/03/01/study-shows-massive-global-permafrost-melt-underway-while-trump-mentions-climate-not>*

    Research shows immense expanses of permafrost rapidly disintegrating
    and releasing huge carbon stores in Canada, Alaska, Scandinavia, and
    Siberia  - byNika Knight, staff writer...
    A new study has discovered that tens of thousands of miles of
    permafrost in northwest Canada are rapidly melting, adding weight to
    recent research that shows an accelerating decline in permafrost in
    Alaska, Siberia, and Scandinavia....
    The disintegration of permafrost throughout the Arctic Circle
    portends a massive release of carbon, both into the surrounding
    environment in the form of sediment and into the atmosphere in the
    form of CO2. Anunprecedented
    <http://www.noaa.gov/news/unprecedented-arctic-weather-has-scientists-on-edge>Arctic
    heat
    wave<http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/12/14/noaa-issues-jaw-dropping-assessment-unprecedented-arctic-warming>is
    accelerating its decay...
    And while global warming speeds up,President Donald Trump
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/20/trump-vs-planet-climate-crosshairs-executive-pen>and
    hisclimate change-denying administration
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/12/12/stacking-cabinet-deniers-trump-says-nobody-really-knows-climate>continues
    topush for fossil fuels
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/02/03/trump-cronies-rewarded-house-gop-dirty-trick-bolsters-big-oil>andmassive
    deregulation
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/30/dangerous-and-dumb-trump-signs-executive-order-torching-regulations>.
    In his speech last night, Trumpfailed to mention climate change even
    once <https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/836784903672971264>...
    The study in northwest Canada mapped approximately half a million
    square miles of tundra and found that 52,000 square miles—an area
    the size of Alabama—is affected by the decay of
    permafrost,/InsideClimate News/'s Bob Berwynreported
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27022017/global-warming-permafrost-study-melt-canada-siberia>Tuesday.
    The collapse of permafrost is "intensifying," the researchers
    observed in the study published in /Geology/in early February, and
    it's sending enormous landslides into lakes and rivers that are
    capable of choking off life downstream.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170301105619.htm

    Risky business: calculating*climate change*losses in major European
    coastal cities
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170301105619.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

A new study that assesses potential future climate damage to major
European coastal cities has found that, if, as currently, global carbon
emissions continue to track the Intergovernmental Panel on*Climate
Change*'*s*worst emission scenario (RCP8.5*...*

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/science/australia-heat-climate-change.html

    Sydney's Swelter Has a*Climate Change*Link, Scientists Say
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/science/australia-heat-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

"It was nothing short of awful," said Sarah Perkins-Kirkpatrick, of
the*Climate Change*Research Center at the University of New South Wales,
in Sydney.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/01/northern-hemisphere-sees-in-early-spring-due-global-warming

    Northern hemisphere sees in early spring due to global warming
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/01/northern-hemisphere-sees-in-early-spring-due-global-warming>

The Guardian 	 -‎Mar 1, 2017‎

Spring is sprung 26 days earlier than a decade ago, causing problems for
the natural cycle of plants and wildlife, Climate News Network reports.

http://www.dw.com/en/global-warming-is-increasing-forest-fire-risk-in-the-alps/a-37778083

    *Global warming*is increasing forest fire risk in the Alps
    <http://www.dw.com/en/global-warming-is-increasing-forest-fire-risk-in-the-alps/a-37778083>

Deutsche Welle 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

Some of the studies zoom in on the Alps, suggesting fire seasons will be
30-50 days longer by 2050 - not surprising considering the Alps are
heating up twice as fast as the*global*average. With another 4 to 6
degrees Celsius*warming*expected by 2100*.*

    How*climate change*threatens to make our bread less tasty
    <http://theconversation.com/how-climate-change-threatens-to-make-our-bread-less-tasty-73762>

The Conversation AU 	 -‎21 hours ago‎

    We havefound <http://www.piccc.org.au/research/project/285>that
    elevated levels of CO₂ will reduce the concentration of grain
    protein and micronutrients like zinc and iron, in cereals (pulses
    are less affected).
    The degree to which protein is affected by CO₂depends
    <http://www.piccc.org.au/news/adapting-dryland-crop-systems-future-climates>on
    the temperature and available water. In wet years there will be a
    smaller impact than in drier years. But over nine years of research
    we have shown that the average decrease in grain protein content is
    6% when there is elevated CO₂.
    Researchwe are conducting
    <http://www.piccc.org.au/news/agface-research-news-new-phase>shows,
    however, that adding additional fertiliser has less effect under
    elevated CO₂ conditions than under current CO₂ levels. There may be
    fundamental physiological changes and bottlenecks under elevated CO₂
    that are not yet well understood.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xQAOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_HsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7244,4365891&dq=global+warming&hl=en
*This Day in Climate History March 1970
<https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xQAOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_HsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7244,4365891&dq=global+warming&hl=en>-
*
Los Angeles Times -  "Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere On The Increase"
Observations begun in 1957 from the top of Hawaii's massive volcanic
peak, Mauna Loa, show a steady increase of carbon dioxide in the Earth's
atmosphere."/

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .