[TheClimate.Vote] March 2, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Mar 2 09:32:55 EST 2017

/March 2, 2017            Deception maneuvers in Executive and House/

https://thinkprogress.org/ivanka-trump-isnt-greening-her-dad-753f140603cc#.nhwqn4w5j
*Ivanka Trump isn't greening her dad, she's greenwashing him
<https://thinkprogress.org/ivanka-trump-isnt-greening-her-dad-753f140603cc#.nhwqn4w5j>*

    Memo to media: Talk is cheap. Focus on what the president is doing.
    Joe Romm -- On Tuesday, President Donald Trump began the process of
    gutting EPA clean water rules....
    ...the president has been busy keeping his campaign pledge to kill
    environmental protections, and he will reportedly propose a budget
    with crippling cuts to the EPA. In Tuesday's speech, he bragged
    about his efforts to push more coal and oil into the market, which
    will make the air and water dirtier, while destroying a livable
    climate...
    But The Hill framed the story with this absurd headline: "Ivanka
    Trump pushed for family leave, environment in Trump speech: report."..
    This is not the first time the media has inflated Ivanka's
    policymaking role based on anonymous sources. Last week, E&E News
    ran a story titled, "Ivanka and Jared saved the Paris
    Agreement — for now," in which we learned Ivanka and her husband
    "worked to remove references to the global climate deal from a new
    executive order, according to a source." The draft order described
    would still reverse several Obama administration climate policies,
    however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/28/members-of-congress-met-to-discuss-the-costs-of-climate-change-they-ended-up-debating-its-existence/

    Members of Congress met to discuss the costs of*climate change*.
    They ended up debating its existence.
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/28/members-of-congress-met-to-discuss-the-costs-of-climate-change-they-ended-up-debating-its-existence/>

Washington Post 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

    Yet by its close, the conversation had disintegrated into yet
    another debate about the extent to which man-made climate change
    exists. It's not the first time such an incident has occurred under
    the new Congress. Just a few weeks ago, the House Science ..
    ....Up to this point, experts have been skeptical about the Trump
    administration's ability to eliminate the social cost of carbon
    altogether, or even significantly reduce its value, without being
    struck down in court.*But with members of both the Trump
    administration and Congress increasingly questioning its very
    purpose — to help account for the dangers of climate change — its
    future is looking ever more uncertain.*

*
*http://blog.ucsusa.org/rachel-cleetus/the-social-cost-of-carbon-setting-the-record-straight-ahead-of-todays-house-hearing-181
*The Social Cost of Carbon Underscores an Obvious Fact: Climate Change
is Costly*
<http://blog.ucsusa.org/rachel-cleetus/the-social-cost-of-carbon-setting-the-record-straight-ahead-of-todays-house-hearing-181>
RACHEL CLEETUS, LEAD ECONOMIST AND CLIMATE POLICY MANAGER

    This morning the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology is
    holding a hearing on the social cost of carbon (SCC). Past
    experience indicates that the majority members on this committee are
    not big fans of science or facts. Hopefully, some of the witnesses
    at the hearing will get some real economic facts on the table. The
    most important one: climate change is costly and our policies need
    to reflect that reality.
    The social cost of carbon is metric that helps quantify the costs of
    climate change related to our carbon emissions, in terms of dollars
    per ton of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted. It can also be used to
    quantify the benefits of reducing carbon emissions. The current
    value of the social cost of carbon is roughly $36/ton of CO2...
    Our global warming emissions are already contributing to climate
    impacts such as flooding from sea level rise and increased heavy
    precipitation; longer, more intense wildfire seasons; heat waves;
    and droughts. The risks of these types of impacts will grow as
    emissions rise...
    In 2016 alone there were 15 extreme weather and climate-related
    disasters that cost more than a billion dollars apiece (see map).
    Climate change is contributing to worsening risks of many of these
    types of events. If you go to this EPA site, you can click on the
    map to see the impacts of climate change where you live in the
    nation. (Assuming that webpage is allowed to stay on line of course

https://science.house.gov/legislation/hearings/subcommittee-environment-and-subcommittee-oversight-hearing-what-cost-examining
*Subcommittee on Environment and Subcommittee on Oversight Hearing - At
What Cost? Examining the Social Cost of Carbon