[TheClimate.Vote] March 6, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Mar 6 09:09:46 EST 2017

/March 6, 2017                          Climate Change's cognitive crazy
making /

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-budget-noaa-scary-885d90b4b7c3#.2t7z50wca
*Climate scientist: Trump budget is 'an all-out assault on Earth'
<https://thinkprogress.org/trump-budget-noaa-scary-885d90b4b7c3#.2t7z50wca>*

    Defunding NOAA's satellites will also hurt weather forecasts,
    jeopardizing public safety, experts warn.
    A four-page White House budget memo secured by The Washington Post
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/03/white-house-proposes-steep-budget-cut-to-leading-climate-science-agency>
    reveals the Trump administration wants a 17 percent cut in National
    Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'s overall
    budget — with the deepest cuts coming from earth observation. NOAA
    studies the atmosphere and oceans — often using satellites — to
    better understand climate and weather.
    Under the draft Trump plan, NOAA's satellite program would be cut by
    more than a half billion dollars. These cuts would be "devastating"
    both to NOAA and the United States, extreme-weather expert Dr. Kevin
    Trenberth told ThinkProgress.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27022017/global-warming-permafrost-study-melt-canada-siberia
*Massive Permafrost Thaw Documented in Canada, Portends Huge Carbon
Release
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27022017/global-warming-permafrost-study-melt-canada-siberia>*
BY: BOB BERWYN

    Study shows 52,000 square miles in rapid decline, with sediment and
    carbon threatening the surrounding environment and potentially
    accelerating global warming.
    Huge slabs of Arctic permafrost in northwest Canada are slumping and
    disintegrating, sending large amounts of carbon-rich mud and silt
    into streams and rivers. A new study that analyzed nearly a
    half-million square miles in northwest Canada found that this
    permafrost decay is affecting 52,000 square miles of that vast
    stretch of earth—an expanse the size of Alabama.
    ...According to researchers with theNorthwest Territories Geological
    Survey <http://www.nwtgeoscience.ca/>, the permafrost collapse is
    intensifying and causing landslides into rivers and lakes that can
    choke off life downstream, all the way to where the rivers discharge
    into the Arctic Ocean...
    Similar large-scale landscape changes are evident across the Arctic
    including in Alaska, Siberia and Scandinavia, the researchers wrote
    in a paper published in the journal Geology
    <http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2017/02/06/G38626.1.abstract?sid=3caa2535-8d09-4d60-9872-89ea658cd63b>
    in early February. The study didn't address the issue of greenhouse
    gas releases from thawing permafrost. But its findings could help
    quantify the immense global scale of the thawing, which will
    contribute to more accurate estimates of carbon emissions...
    Permafrost is land that has been frozen stretching back to the last
    ice age, 10,000 years ago. As the Arctic warms at twice the global
    rate, the long-frozen soils thaw and decompose, releasing the
    trapped greenhouse gases into the air. Scientists estimate that the
    world's permafrost holds twice as much carbon as the atmosphere.

https://newrepublic.com/article/140889/scientific-community-facing-existential-crisis
*The Scientific Community Is Facing an Existential Crisis
<https://newrepublic.com/article/140889/scientific-community-facing-existential-crisis>*

    Dr. Rush Holt talks Donald Trump, the increasing politicization of
    science, and what his community needs to do next.
    "Existential might even be the right word. The concern now is
    whether policymakers even understand the meaning of evidence.
    Whether there is any truth to this descriptor of "fact-free era."
    Whether policy is going to be made more and more in the absence of
    scientific input.
    There seems to be a concern about whether the public appreciation of
    science has eroded to a point where it has removed science from
    public debate and public decision making. Whether the public has
    come to regard evidence as optional."

https://undark.org/article/what-i-left-out-food-fight-mckay-jenkins/
(books) The Road to Fossil Fuel Dependence
<https://undark.org/article/what-i-left-out-food-fight-mckay-jenkins/>

    The U.S. interstate highway system was designed to keep America safe
    in case of invasion, but it had dramatic consequences for the way we
    live today.
    BY McKay Jenkins
    A FRIEND OF MINE recently said that he found it easier to imagine
    the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism.
    Remember: our current precipitous ecological decline only began
    accelerating about 75 years ago, a change driven by World War II. As
    much as the war tore holes in the heart of Europe and Asia, it also,
    in its aftermath, hit the rest of the world like a meteor. In the
    years after the war, the United States decided that the best way to
    defend itself against future invasion was to build a monumental
    interstate highway system.

https://undark.org/2017/03/02/global-warming-ten-assumptions/
*Global Warming: Why Can't We Get Along?
<https://undark.org/2017/03/02/global-warming-ten-assumptions/>*

    Finding common ground on climate change requires effort. A first
    step: Understanding the assumptions that separate left and right.
    Where liberals see an urgent problem, conservatives see a bald power
    grab. Reconciling these viewpoints has little to do with science.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-this-week-the-extinction-connection_us_58b8b5ece4b0fa65b844b176
*Climate Change This Week: The Extinction Connection, Major Investors
Urge Action, and More!
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-this-week-the-extinction-connection_us_58b8b5ece4b0fa65b844b176>*

    Mary Ellen Harte Ph.D. is a biologist who writes on climate change
    and population issues. She co-authored the free downloadable book,
    "Cool the Earth, Save the Economy", at Cool the Earth
    (http://cooltheearth.us/), and runs the Climate Change Reports blog
    (http://climatechangereports.wordpress.com/). Her work as a
    diagnostic plant photographer also appears at forestryimages.org.

https://blog.ai-academy.com/4-reasons-why-artificial-intelligence-is-a-killer-tool-to-solve-the-energy-challenge-c81a3002f276#.y2pnfsf0j
*4 reasons why Artificial Intelligence is a killer tool to fight Climate
Change
<https://blog.ai-academy.com/4-reasons-why-artificial-intelligence-is-a-killer-tool-to-solve-the-energy-challenge-c81a3002f276#.y2pnfsf0j>*

    One of the biggest obstacles to renewables is a data problem. Until
    the rise of renewable energy you could match production and
    consumption simply by forecasting the demand. You forecast how much
    the grid will want tomorrow, and you plan the production on time:
    there's only one random variable in play. When you start producing
    energy also using renewable resources you'll add a stochastic
    variable to the equation: now you need to forecast the energy demand
    from the grid, and the energy production from renewable resources at
    the same time. Not unlike financial predictions or Netflix movie
    recommendations, this is a data problem, not an energy issue: AI can
    help big time.
    In a cash-strapped economy, optimizing is better than renovating.
    Implementing new more efficient technology changing what you already
    have can be crazy expensive and with very long payback periods. With
    AI you can optimize a system using the data you collect from it,
    meaning that the upfront installation cost can be close to zero.
    This is particularly important when capital is scarce, and the big
    investments needed for renovations are painful.
    Energy systems evolve with time. Your car doesn't have the same
    performances now that when you bought it. It also doesn't behave in
    the same way in summer and winter. An AI system can understand how a
    system is evolving and optimise its behaviour at each moment of its
    lifetime.
    We never had so much data. AI is a simple recipe: take a powerful
    enough computer, find a learning algorithm that works well for your
    problem, and add as much data as you can. If you don't have enough
    data, you'll find yourself potentially with a Ferrari and no
    gasoline to run it. Guess what? We never had so much data for energy
    systems (ever heard of Industry 4.0, IoT, etc?)
    https://www.quora.com/Is-artificial-Intelligence-the-last-hope-for-us-to-survive-climate-change
    Is artificial Intelligence the last hope for us to survive climate
    change?
    <https://www.quora.com/Is-artificial-Intelligence-the-last-hope-for-us-to-survive-climate-change>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/whitmanmemo032601.htm
/*This Day in Climate History March 6, 2001
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/whitmanmemo032601.htm>
-  from D.R. Tucker*/

    March 6, 2001: EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman sends a memo
    to President George W. Bush urging him to demonstrate leadership on
    climate change. The memo is summarily ignored.

>     I would strongly recommend that you continue to recognize that
>     global warming is a real, and serious issues.
>
>     While not specifically endorsing the targets called for in Kyoto,
>     you could indicate that you are exploring how to reduce U.S.
>     Greenhouse gas emissions internally and will continue to do so no
>     matter what else transpires.
>
>     Mr. President, this is a credibility issue (global warming) for
>     the U.S. in the international Community. It is also an issue that
>     is resonating here, at home. We need to appear engaged and shift
>     the discussion from the focus on the "K" word (Kyoto) to action,
>     but we have to build some boneifides first.

/ ------------------------------------------------------
                 S//tay well-informed  &  forward this email./

        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .