[TheClimate.Vote] March 19, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Mar 19 10:13:01 EDT 2017

/March 19, 2017      Climate change divisions forming/

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/18/the-scientists-taking-the-fight-to-trump-climate-change-epa

    The*climate change*battle dividing Trump's America
    <https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/18/the-scientists-taking-the-fight-to-trump-climate-change-epa>

The Guardian 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

Conspiracy theories, anti-vaccination campaigns and*climate
change*deniers have all traded on this rejection of science, and their
voices have all been heard, to differing degrees, in the new administration.

http://www.314action.org/home
*314 ACTION <http://www.314action.org/home>***- Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education

    We are members of the STEM Community, grassroots supporters and
    political activists committed to bring innovation to Science,
    Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education,
    aggressively advocate for real solutions to Climate Change and elect
    more STEM trained candidates to public office.
    314 Action is a nonprofit that was founded by members of the STEM
    community, grassroots supporters and political activists.  Why 314
    Action?  Pi is everywhere. It's the most widely known mathematical
    ratio both inside and out of the scientific community. It is used in
    virtually everything we encounter in our daily lives.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170315125609.htm

    With*climate change*, shrubs and trees expand northwards in the
    Subarctic
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170315125609.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎Mar 16, 2017‎

Field experiment in tundra vegetation in Northern Sweden. Open top
chambers simulate future warming of soil and plants caused by*climate
change*, and leaf litter is added to simulate enhanced litterfall caused
by expansion of birch trees and willow shrubs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170315094448.htm

    No publication bias found in*climate change*research
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170315094448.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

    Lund University  Summary:
    Rarely do we encounter a scientific fact that stirs public
    controversy and distrust in science as much as climate change.
    However, the theory is built on honest reporting of facts. This
    emerges from a new study from Lund University in Sweden...
    The study in question investigates whether there is a so-called
    publication bias within climate research, i.e. a statistically
    skewed distribution of the way various types of findings are
    presented in research journals. "Our study is a very large review of
    the publication record within climate change," says Johan Hollander,
    who is a researcher at Lund University's Faculty of Science in
    Sweden. The conclusion is that climate researchers do not conceal
    uncomfortable facts which could potentially disprove climate change.
    Within the research community, there is a consensus on global
    climate change, whereas there are still many climate deniers among
    politicians and in some sections of the general public, according to
    Johan Hollander. After the so-called Climategate scandal in 2009,
    the legitimacy of climate change science came into question. Climate
    researchers were accused of fabricating results to fund a
    self-serving research enterprise.
    "It is a major problem if politicians and other decision-makers
    don't trust science, or don't understand how scientists communicate
    their results. This can lead to important decisions not being taken,
    or being given lower priority," says Johan Hollander.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/18/climate-change-is-certainly-causing-more-powerful-storms/

    *Climate change*is certainly causing more powerful storms
    <http://www.salon.com/2017/03/18/climate-change-is-certainly-causing-more-powerful-storms/>

Salon 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    "There is a connection between global warming and the increased
    frequency of heavy snowstorms," said James Hansen, a professor of
    Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University. "One factor
    is the increased amount of water vapor that the atmosphere holds in
    a warmer world." In the late 1980s, Hansen testified that climate
    change - and the warming of the atmosphere - leads to "greater heat
    waves and stronger droughts" but more rain and floods in areas...
    "The '100-year flood' now occurs more often than once a century,"
    Hansen said...
    Michael E. Mann, Director of the Earth System Science Center and
    Distinguished Professor of Meteorology at Penn State University,
    observed that the warming climate is actually causing more snow.
    "The oceans have been at record levels of warm the past two years
    (and climate change is a key contributor to that)," Mann said. "That
    record warmth means that there is more moisture in the atmosphere
    that is available both to help strengthen the storm and produce
    record snowfalls as the warm oceanic air is entrained in toward the
    eastern U.S. by the cyclonic winds of the storm. Climate model
    simulations indicate a likelihood for stronger, more snow-making
    storms, and that's what we're seeing."
    Naturally, climate change deniers like to joke about how the Earth
    couldn't be getting warmer if we're seeing colder weather.
    "It is quite wrong to associate snow with cold," said Kevin
    Trenberth, who works for the Climate Analysis Section at the U.S.
    National Center for Atmospheric Research. "On the contrary, we
    expect more snow in mid winter with global warming and this is what
    is observed. The snowpack across the Northern Hemisphere has
    increased from November to February. But it is much less from March
    to September. The snow season is shorter at each end and snow melts
    more rapidly."
    Trump and the Congressional Republicans are damaging so many
    American institutions and social norms, it is hard to see their
    egregious stance towards climate change as among the most dangerous
    of their actions," wrote Ken Caldeira from the Department of Global
    Ecology at the Carnegie Institute for Science. "Their stance towards
    climate change is consistent with the rest of their actions: 1.
    Promote 'get-richer-quicker' schemes for a select few even if that
    means deteriorating conditions for the average person. 2. Promote
    ignorance and disinformation when facts get in the way of
    'get-richer-quicker' schemes. Distract and confuse with anecdotal
    stories that promote intolerance and discriminatory practices."
    "The oceans have been at record levels of warm the past two years
    (and climate change is a key contributor to that)," Mann said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-congress-idUSKBN16M235
*In challenge to Trump, 17 Republicans join fight against global warming
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-congress-idUSKBN16M235>*

    Seventeen congressional Republicans signed a resolution on Wednesday
    vowing to seek "economically viable" ways to stave off global
    warming, challenging the stated views of President Donald Trump, who
    has called climate change a hoax...
    Republicans Elise Stefanik of New York, Carlos Curbelo of Florida
    and Ryan Costello of Pennsylvania introduced the legislation in the
    U.S. House of Representatives, pledging to "study and address the
    causes and effects of measured changes to our global and regional
    climates" and seek ways to "balance human activities" that contribute...
    Several Republicans who signed the resolution, which is non-binding,
    represent parts of the country most affected. Curbelo hails from
    Miami, where streets regularly flood at high tide due to rising sea
    levels.
         "This issue was regrettably politicized some 20 or so years ago
    and we are in the process of taking some of the politics out,
    reducing the noise and focusing on the challenge and on the
    potential solutions," Curbelo said in a call with journalists on
    Tuesday.
    A spokesman for the White House declined to comment.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/03/18/maine-compass-maine-farmers-foresters-and-fishermen-know-all-about-climate-change/

    Maine Compass: Maine farmers, foresters and fishermen know all
    about*climate change*
    <http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/03/18/maine-compass-maine-farmers-foresters-and-fishermen-know-all-about-climate-change/>

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    Lawmakers need to listen to the people who make a living off the land.
    Last spring, my students and I interviewed those living and working
    on the front lines of climate change. Instead of asking foresters,
    farmers and fishers whether or not they "believed" in global
    warming, we inquired about the ways in which they were ...
    Perhaps what most surprised my students was that many of their
    interviewees self-identified as conservative and they were deeply
    invested in Maine's environment. Nine times out of 10,
    environmentally progressive legislation is labeled "liberal." But
    what my students' interviews suggested is that perhaps that
    knee-jerk pairing will soon be out-of-date.
    In Maine, many of the folks directly affected by climate change -
    lobstermen, maple syrup farmers, indigenous peoples, timber workers
    - are, like the groups that Callison profiles, reticent to use the
    terms dictated by national discourse. But they will happily relate
    the very specific ways in which their industry has been transformed
    by the recent string of abnormally warm winters.
    /http://www.bates.edu/climatechange/
    *Climate Change in Maine <http://www.bates.edu/climatechange>*
    ... a dozen students at Bates College set out in all directions with
    microphones in hand, from our local Lewiston all the way out to the
    coastal town of Phippsburg. One by one, the interviews with Mainers
    added up. Each of their individual stories began as nothing more
    than a thread, but when added together, these threads have created a
    much weightier tapestry. Ideally, this chorus of underrepresented
    stories will be loud enough to warrant a closer look.
    In the last 120 years, average temperatures in Maine have increased
    by three degrees Fahrenheit. Scientists predict the state will heat
    up another three to ten degrees by the end of the century. The
    weather is changing in the state of Maine, and its citizens are
    taking notice. Some call it "climate change," while others prefer
    the term "odd weather." Many have been aware of these shifts for
    decades, but many more are still holding out, not yet ready to
    diagnose these erratic weather patterns as indicative of a larger
    transformation.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/opinion/editorials/2017/3/18/editorial--a-new-champion-for-climate-change.html

    (Prince Edward Island) EDITORIAL: A new champion for*climate change*
    <http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/opinion/editorials/2017/3/18/editorial--a-new-champion-for-climate-change.html>

The Guardian 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions have found a
    new champion in the province. P.E.I. Auditor General Jane MacAdam
    has waded into the debate with aplomb...
    The auditor general seems an unlikely source of climate critique.
    But she pushed aside her usual financial ledgers this week in her
    annual report. Climate change was in the spotlight and her report
    card was not good. In fact, it's dismal...
    Ms. MacAdam is intent on alerting Islanders that we have to get our
    act together. The time for action is now; we can't wait until rising
    waters are lapping at the door of the legislature before politicians
    take the issue seriously...
    Climate change highlighted pages 16 through 42 in the auditor
    general's 171-page report. Her analysis suggests the province has a
    lot of work to do...
    Canadian political leaders made ambitious climate pledges in Paris
    in late 2015. Ms. MacAdam notes that P.E.I. had a climate strategy
    in place for nine years. She expected a clear, measurable plan on
    what targets are and to show Islanders what progress is being made...
    Based on the auditor general's report and keen interest, government
    is well advised to implement these strategies...
    Natural Resources Canada predicts P.E.I. will experience rising sea
    levels, more frequent and intense storms and coastal erosion.
    Regardless of mitigation actions, we must adapt to the expected
    effects of climate change...
    Islanders need to know the risks and financial costs involved...
    We don't want to go down with a sinking ship.

    (Pakistan) Senate passes bill aimed at tackling *global warming
    *challenges
    <https://www.geo.tv/latest/134667-Senate-passes-bill-aimed-at-tackling-global-warming-challenges>

Geo News, Pakistan 	 -‎Mar 17, 2017‎

ISLAMABAD: The Senate on Friday passed the Pakistan Climate Change Bill,
2017 unanimously aimed at tackling challenges of*global warming*.
Minister for Climate Change Zahid Hamid moved the bill in the House. The
minister said that the bill, based on ..

http://youtu.be/7kqADotHvhk
*This Day in Climate History March 19, 2007
<http://youtu.be/7kqADotHvhk>-  from D.R. Tucker
*James Hansen testifies before the House Committee on Oversight and
Government Reform regarding government efforts to censor climate
science. (Five days later, Rep. Henry Waxman [D-CA], chairman of the
House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, discusses the
hearings on Air America's "EcoTalk.")
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2007/Testimony_20070319.pdf
http://youtu.be/7kqADotHvhk
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2007/03/congressman_hen.html*

*
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  S//tay well-informed &  forward this email./

        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .