[TheClimate.Vote] March 27, 2017 - Daily Global Warming - New cloud names, teenagers novel, local governements

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Mar 27 11:27:02 EDT 2017

/March 27, 2017       XL Pipeline OK'ed, New cloud names, Novel for
teens, Local governments /

http://www.recorder.com/Workshop-looks-at-climate-change-8822444

    *Climate change*for local governments
    <http://www.recorder.com/Workshop-looks-at-climate-change-8822444>

The Recorder 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

How can towns adapt in their decisions about roads and culverts, dams
and watersheds, well protection and other issues in the face of*climate
change*? A Thursday Franklin Regional Council of Governments workshop
on*climate change*adaptation is being ...

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15049766/undulatus-asperatus-asperitas-cloud-pattern-formation
*Earth's newest cloud is terrifying
<http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15049766/undulatus-asperatus-asperitas-cloud-pattern-formation>*

    In 2014, I spoke with Gavin Pretor-Pinney, the founder of The Cloud
    Appreciation Society, about his quixotic mission: to get recognition
    for a new category of cloud called the "undulatus asperatus." For
    years, individuals from across the world had been sending him
    pictures of the unusual formations, trying to figure out what they
    were. But they had no official name.
    Yesterday, on World Meteorological Day - nine years after the
    classification was first submitted - the World Meteorological
    Organization finally recognized Pretor-Pinney's clouds in the
    updated version of the International Cloud Atlas, though the name
    has been tweaked to "asperitas." They're the first new addition to
    the Atlas in over half a century.
    Pretor-Pinney described the formations as "localized waves in the
    cloud base, either smooth or dappled with smaller features,
    sometimes descending into sharp points, as if viewing a roughened
    sea surface from below. Varying levels of illumination and thickness
    of cloud can lead to dramatic visual effects." Asperitas clouds tend
    to be low-lying, and are caused by weather fronts that create
    undulating waves in the atmosphere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7BgxrVmiQ
    Undulatus Asperatus <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7BgxrVmiQ>
    video 1 minute

https://actionnetwork.org/events/peoples-climate-candidate-training
*People's Climate Candidate Training
<https://actionnetwork.org/events/peoples-climate-candidate-training>*

    Start: April 30, 2017 8:00 AM
      Washington, DC 20001
    Host Contact Info: training at climatehawksvote.com
    The climate movement is rooted in the pursuit of justice in a world
    being torn apart by a global system of exploitation and oppression.
    It's time for our politics to reflect our principles.
    This training is for you if:
    - you would consider running for office yourself in the next 1-3 years
    - you want to help a friend run for office
    - you want to learn how a local electoral strategy could help your
    campaign
    Working with our partners, Climate Hawks Vote and Lead Locally have
    developed a curriculum to help climate activists launch the initial
    framework of an electoral campaign. Featuring elected climate
    champions and top progressive trainers, the training will help you
    take the energy of the March for Jobs, Justice and the Climate and
    turn it into real political power.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/26/scott-pruitt-paris-climate-agreement-bad-deal/

    EPA chief calls historic climate treaty a 'bad deal' because this is
    our life now
    <http://mashable.com/2017/03/26/scott-pruitt-paris-climate-agreement-bad-deal/>

Mashable 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
    railed against the Paris Climate Agreement in an interview with ABC
    News on Sunday.
    The Trump administration has made no secret of its plans to
    dismantle the climate policies of former President Barack Obama.
    But what Trump officials bring in fervor, they sometimes lack in
    understanding.
    Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
    railed against the Paris Climate Agreement in an interview with ABC
    News on Sunday. He called the landmark climate change accord a "bad
    deal" that unfairly penalizes the United States, while giving a free
    pass to other major polluting countries.
    SEE ALSO: EPA chief denies carbon dioxide is main cause of global
    warming and... wait, what!?
    <http://mashable.com/2017/03/09/pruitt-carbon-dioxide-global-warming-denier/#yPpBd5m0TEq0>
    "What was wrong with Paris was ... that China and India, the largest
    producers of [carbon dioxide] internationally, got away scot free.
    They didn't have to take steps until 2030," Pruitt told anchor
    George Stephanopoulos.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/27/why-i-decided-to-write-a-novel-about-catastrophic-climate-change-for-teenagers

    Why I decided to write a novel for teenagers about
    catastrophic*climate change*
    <https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/27/why-i-decided-to-write-a-novel-about-catastrophic-climate-change-for-teenagers>

The Guardian 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    The writer Jeff VanderMeer has described climate change as a kind of
    haunting. Drawing upon the philosopher Timothy Morton's notion of
    climate change as a sort of hyperobject, a thing so large as to be
    ungraspable in its totality.
    A couple of weeks ago, my Facebook feed was invaded by spectral
    images of the ocean off Tasmania's north-west coast, its waters lit
    up by the blue glow of phosphorescent plankton. The images were
    beautiful, haunting, but also ominous, because the organism involved
    – the dinoflagellate Noctiluca scintillans – has only reached
    Tasmania in recent years, borne south by warming waters.
    The environmental catastrophe unfolding around us isn't news (the
    plankton's appearance coincided with a report that carbon dioxide
    levels had just risen at a record rate for the second year running,
    despite global efforts to curb emissions). Yet its uncanny beauty
    offered a reminder of something that is less often discussed – the
    degree to which environmental change destabilises not just our
    physical world, but also our psychic world, dislocating us from the
    places and rhythms that we know and rendering the familiar strange,
    even disturbing...

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/GLrlVcd2W4w7WCpkQF8jNL/How-corruption-fuels-climate-change.html

    How corruption fuels*climate change*
    <http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/GLrlVcd2W4w7WCpkQF8jNL/How-corruption-fuels-climate-change.html>

Livemint 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    To sustain progress in the fight against climate change and
    corruption, environmental and anti-corruption movements will have to
    work together..
    Anti-corruption campaigners achieved a number of crucial victories
    in 2016, not least by ensuring accountability for one of Big Oil's
    most crooked deals: the acquisition of Nigerian offshore oil block
    OPL 245 in 2011 by Royal Dutch Shell and Eni, Italy's largest
    corporation. Last December, Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes
    Commission indicted some of the Nigerians involved, and Italian
    prosecutors then concluded their own investigation, bringing the
    executives and the companies responsible for the deal closer to
    standing trial.
    Several months earlier, in June 2016, the US Securities and Exchange
    Commission (SEC) published a rule, under Section 1504 of the 2010
    Dodd-Frank Act, requiring oil, gas and mining companies to disclose
    all payments made to governments on a project-by-project basis. If
    the SEC had issued its rule earlier, Shell and Eni most likely would
    not have gone ahead with the OPL 245 deal, because they would have
    had to disclose their payment. But opposition from the oil industry
    delayed the rule, so the companies were able to conceal their payment.
    Anti-corruption campaigners achieved a number of crucial victories
    in 2016, not least by ensuring accountability for one of Big Oil's
    most crooked deals: the acquisition of Nigerian offshore oil block
    OPL 245 in 2011 by Royal Dutch Shell and Eni, Italy ...
    Public documents show that the $1.1 billion that Shell and Eni paid
    to the Nigerian government for the deal was, in reality, being paid
    to Malabu. Both companies knew that this payment method, through an
    account created by JP Morgan in London, was in breach of the
    Nigerian constitution, and that the funds would end up in private hands.
    Shell, Exxon and most other major oil and gas companies knew decades
    ago that their products were fuelling climate change. But instead of
    acting on that knowledge, and changing their business model, they
    embarked on a massive campaign to deceive the public and lure
    policymakers into complacency. Not surprisingly, Shell is one of 47
    major hydrocarbon producers now being investigated by the Filipino
    government for its role in contributing to human-rights violations
    stemming from climate change.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/climate-change-world-uncharted-territory-21274

    *Climate Change*Pushes World Into 'Uncharted Territory'
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/climate-change-world-uncharted-territory-21274>

Climate Central 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

The WMO's assessment of the*climate*in 2016 reports unprecedented heat
across the globe, exceptionally low ice at both poles and surging
sea-level rise.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-keystone-xl-oil-pipeline-presidential-approval-environment-a7647721.html
*Donald Trump gives presidential approval to Keystone XL oil pipeline
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-keystone-xl-oil-pipeline-presidential-approval-environment-a7647721.html>*

    Barack Obama's administration had opposed the project.
    Donald Trump has given a presidential permit to the controversial
    Keystone XL pipeline project – a major boost for Canada-based
    developer TransCanada.
    Environmentalists have objected to the construction of the 875 mile
    line, which would carry up to 830,000 barrels of oil a day. It
    requires presidential approval because the project will cross the
    US's northern international border.
    White House press secretary Sean Spicer tweeted that Mr Trump, who
    claims the pipeline will create many thousands of jobs, would
    discuss the pipeline later.
    The State Department said it determined that building Keystone
    served the US national interest. Under the Obama administration, the
    same department reached the opposite conclusion.
    It said it had considered foreign policy and energy security in
    making the determination

https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2017-03/climate-change-and-mental-health-qa-lise-van-susteren-md
*Climate Change and Mental Health: Q&A with Lise Van Susteren, MD Part I
<https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2017-03/climate-change-and-mental-health-qa-lise-van-susteren-md>*

    Global Health NOW is an initiative of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg
    School of Public Health.
    "it is becoming clear that destructive inaction on climate will one
    day be experienced as child abuse."
    https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2017-03/americas-bubble-qa-lise-van-susteren-part-ii
    *America's Bubble: Q&A with Lise Van Susteren, Part II
    <https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2017-03/americas-bubble-qa-lise-van-susteren-part-ii>*
    On messaging, I struggle with people who say don't depress
    people—reassure them they can have green grass, blue skies, clear
    water. But as Bob Cialdini said, people aren't motivated by what
    they stand to gain, but what they stand to lose. We're loss averse.
    We need to offer data, but also tell people here's what we stand to
    lose—and here's what we can do to prevent that loss.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-stark/global-warming-phooey_b_44407.html
https://tedglick.com/future-hope-columns/next-up-the-peoples-climate-march/
*Ted Glick -  Next Up: the Peoples Climate March
<https://tedglick.com/future-hope-columns/next-up-the-peoples-climate-march/>*

    There are two major reasons why it is so important that the Peoples
    Climate March April 29th in DC be a big success.
    The main one is the desperate need for a massive showing of
    opposition to the Trumpist Republican attacks, on every front,
    against virtually all efforts to shift from fossil fuels to
    renewables and energy efficiency. Our disrupted and destabilizing
    climate needs just the opposite. We need a society-wide mobilization
    to make that shift as if we were in great danger from a powerful
    enemy, which of course we are.
    The enemy isn't human beings using fossil fuels. The enemy is a
    big-money dominated political and economic system in which fossil
    fuel corporations have great power. Because of that power they have
    obstructed for decades efforts to shift to a truly clean energy
    economy, something that is totally feasible right now and will only
    become more feasible and less expensive with each passing year. It
    is also something that is and has been popular with a large majority
    of the American people for many years.
    The Peoples Climate March doesn't name "the system" as the enemy,
    but it is building the effort in a way which moves us forward toward
    the kind of alliance we need to succeed in the transformation of
    that system into something much more just and healthy for the earth
    and all of its life forms.
    The PCM calls for: "solutions to the climate crisis rooted in
    racial, social and economic justice; clean air, water, land, healthy
    communities and a world at peace; stop attacks on immigrants,
    communities of color, indigenous and tribal people and lands and
    workers; public funds and investments in good paying jobs [and
    benefits] that preserve workers' rights, including the right to
    unionize; investments in our communities, people and environment to
    transition to a new clean and renewable energy economy that works
    for all; and protection of our basic rights to a free press, protest
    and free speech." http://peoplesclimate.org/#sign-up

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-stark/global-warming-phooey_b_44407.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20070422015640/http://www.callingallwingnuts.com/2007/03/27/global-warming-phooey/
*This Day in Climate History March 27, 2007
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20998-2004Dec22.html> -
from D.R. Tucker*/
/

    //In a post on CallingAllWingnuts.com
    <http://web.archive.org/web/20070422015640/http://www.callingallwingnuts.com/2007/03/27/global-warming-phooey/>
    about a recent confrontation with Competitive Enterprise Institute
    honcho Myron Ebell, blogger Mike Stark observes:
    "Upon reflection, I really think there are a couple of lessons for
    progressives to be found in this five minute exchange.
    "First of all, when arguing with somebody that either has no
    credibility or is not arguing a credible position, don't donate the
    credibility they need to be seen as your equal."
    "You see, by calling his credibility into question immediately - and
    not letting him up for air - well, I've got no proof, but I really
    think that everyone in the room knew that Mr. Ebell had been
    bettered. When we ask policy or science questions of these
    charlatans, we give the impression that we care what they think. We
    don't. We know they are rank liars, we're just wondering if they'll
    be able to spin a sufficient answer. But these guys get millions of
    dollars a year from the largest corporate titans precisely because
    they have the skill to ink up the issue. Why let them show off?
    "Secondly, don't go out of your way to be nice or polite. Hell, I
    won't afford these profit-gandists any respect on my blog, why the
    hell should I do it face to face? A large part of their professional
    career derives from their ability to mock me and the things I
    believe in. The Competitive Enterprise Institute once liked global
    warming to 'being invaded by space aliens' for example. By
    addressing these people with the indignant scorn they deserve, you
    project the moral superiority of your position. To many times it
    seems that Democratic and progressive pundits are more interested in
    being our opponents' friends than we are in vigorously arguing the
    issues. In this media environment - when equal time is given to
    global warming deniers... well, we just can't afford the small talk.
    "In the end, these guys are not good people. This isn't a case of
    principled people disagreeing. At this point in the global warming
    debate, the only principled disagreements to be had revolve around
    what we should be doing to address the crisis. The Myron Ebells of
    the world - the die-hard denialists... well, we need to move them
    off the stage by marginalizing them at every opportunity."
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070422015640/http://www.callingallwingnuts.com/2007/03/27/global-warming-phooey/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-stark/global-warming-phooey_b_44407.html

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  S//tay well-informed &  forward this email./

        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .