[TheClimate.Vote] March 26, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News - Zen Buddhist Climate Change, California dares Trump, Congress hides

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Mar 26 08:19:51 EDT 2017

/March 26 , 2017   Zen Buddhist statement Climate Crisis,  California
dares Trump, Congress hides/

http://wp.me/p3LjZF-1R2
*A Western Soto Zen Buddhist Statement on the Climate Crisis
<http://wp.me/p3LjZF-1R2>*

    The Great Turning is a name for the essential adventure of our time:
    the shift from the industrial growth society to a life-sustaining
    civilization.
    The essence of Zen practice - in its deep stillness and in its
    manifestation in everyday activity - moves towards the
    life-sustaining culture we yearn for.
    In our Zen centers and temples here in the United States, teachers
    and practitioners join hands with Soto Zen Buddhists in Japan and
    with people of all faiths. Many of our communities are converting to
    solar, radically cutting water use, and investing our modest funds
    in sustainable industries that do no harm to humans, animals, or the
    environment. We encourage our members and friends to act with
    generosity, nonviolence, and mindful effort to protect all life. We
    encourage friends to speak "truth to power" that political and
    business leaders know we care passionately about the fate of the
    earth and that all of us are accountable...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/24/house-science-committee-to-hold-climate-change-hearing-from-which-well-learn-nothing/

    House Science Committee to hold*climate change* hearing from which
    we'll learn nothing
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/24/house-science-committee-to-hold-climate-change-hearing-from-which-well-learn-nothing/>

Washington Post 	 -‎Mar 24, 2017‎

    The congressional hearing, featuring some of the more polarizing
    figures in the climate change discussion, is sure to make for great
    political theater.
    "Get your popcorn ready," writes Judith Curry, one of four witnesses
    who will testify before the House Science Committee on climate
    change science next Wednesday...
    Curry is right. The congressional hearing, featuring some of the
    more polarizing figures in the climate change discussion, is sure to
    make for great political theater. But it won't reveal much, if
    anything, new about science or advance the conversation about how to
    address the issue...
    The hearing, titled "Climate Science: Assumptions, Policy
    Implications, and the Scientific Method," is an act of gamesmanship
    from a body intent on manufacturing doubt on scientific issues which
    have long been settled.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/25/donald-trump-climate-change-california/

    California Is Daring President Trump to Stop It From
    Fighting*Climate Change*
    <http://fortune.com/2017/03/25/donald-trump-climate-change-california/>

Fortune 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

California's government agency responsible for maintaining healthy air
quality voted on Friday to adopt stricter emissions standards for
automobiles, essentially daring President Donald Trump to confront the
state in a legal battle over*climate change*.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/03/25/guest-column-global-warming-disturbing-truth-but-fact/99405258/

    Guest Column:*Global warming*is a disturbing truth, but fact
    <http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/03/25/guest-column-global-warming-disturbing-truth-but-fact/99405258/>

Mansfield News Journal 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    We don't like bad news. No one wants to receive a diagnosis of
    cancer, for example, but we ignore bad news at our own peril...
    So, when the CIA identified global warming as a serious threat to
    our national security, it would not be wise to ignore the warning...
    Yet, our new head of the EPA, Scott Pruitt, does not agree with the
    climate change scientists who assert unequivocally that climate
    change is a real and serious problem and is largely caused by human
    activity, especially the burning of fossil fuels. Pruitt's boss has
    called global warming a hoax perpetuated by the Chinese: "… global
    warming was created by the Chinese in order to make U.S.
    manufacturing non-competitive."
    Even Pope Francis' warning that global warming is a threat to life
    on this planet and that it is due to human activity, did not
    convince the skeptics. The pope understands that global warming is a
    serious moral issue and not just a political one to be debated or
    studied ad infinitum as Pruitt wants.
    So, what's the average person to believe? That's simple — when in
    doubt, believe facts not fiction. Science enables us to separate
    fact from fiction. Science deals in empirical evidence, not
    assumptions or beliefs.
    As John Adams said: "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be
    our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they
    cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    Global warming is a disturbing truth, but it is a fact...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/opinion/sunday/what-you-can-do-about-climate-change.html?_r=0
*What You Can Do About Climate Change
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/opinion/sunday/what-you-can-do-about-climate-change.html?_r=0>*

    If every American household drove a vehicle getting 56 miles per
    gallon, it would reduce U.S. emissions by 10 percent.
    Changing how much we drive is not easy; it often requires a major
    change in lifestyle, like moving closer to work or making more
    frequent use of public transportation, which often takes longer and
    is less convenient than driving. It is much easier to buy a more
    fuel-efficient vehicle; cars with fuel economy much better than the
    new-vehicle average of 25 m.p.g. are widely available.
    If every household collectively took these 11 actions - changes not
    likely to upend the typical American lifestyle - they would reduce
    emissions by 2.2 percent (0.2 percent each), far less than driving
    highly fuel efficient cars.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/39952-doctors-climate-change-is-already-making-us-kids-sicker

    Doctors:*Climate Change*Is Already Making US Kids Sicker
    <http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/39952-doctors-climate-change-is-already-making-us-kids-sicker>

Truth-Out 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

Children are among the most vulnerable to the health impacts of*climate
change*. (Image: Jared Rodriguez / Truthout). A coalition of medical
organizations representing over half of American physicians recently
launched a campaign to alert policymakers*...*

https://trofire.com/2017/03/25/corporate-media-paid-hide-climate-change-news/

    Corporate Media was Paid to Hide*Climate Change*News
    <https://trofire.com/2017/03/25/corporate-media-paid-hide-climate-change-news/>

The Ring of Fire Network 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    So, why would networks shy away from climate change coverage? The
    answer may lie in the content aired during the commercial breaks.
    Media Matters showed in an April 2016 study that during major
    stories about climate change, CNN viewers saw five times more fossil
    fuel advertising than reporting on climate change.
    With both candidates and the major networks in the pocket of the
    fossil fuel industry, it is no surprise that suddenly the American
    public heard so little about climate change last year. The oil and
    gas industry spends millions in political contributions and lobbying
    efforts and billions in advertising each year. In return, they get
    favorable treatment from Washington, including over $37.5 billion in
    tax breaks each year.
    https://mediamatters.org/research/2016/04/25/study-cnn-viewers-see-far-more-fossil-fuel-advertising-climate-change-reporting/209985
    *STUDY: CNN Viewers See Far More Fossil Fuel Advertising Than
    Climate Change Reporting
    <https://mediamatters.org/research/2016/04/25/study-cnn-viewers-see-far-more-fossil-fuel-advertising-climate-change-reporting/209985>*
    *(YouTube clip)  CNN: A Climate Coverage Disgrace
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=9pnEMV-kMAo>* 30
    seconds
    CNN aired almost five times as much oil industry advertising as
    climate change-related coverage in the one-week periods following
    the announcements that 2015 was the hottest year on record and
    February 2016 was the most abnormally hot month on record.
    Specifically, CNN aired 23.5 minutes of American Petroleum Institute
    ads during its morning, afternoon, and primetime coverage over those
    two weeks, compared to just five minutes of coverage about climate
    change or the temperature records. That disparity does not even
    account for dozens of Koch Industries ads that also ran on CNN,
    which were not energy-focused but did serve to boost the image of
    the oil billionaire Koch brothers' primary corporation.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/film-from-former-port-townsend-resident-deals-with-salish-sea-climate-change

    *Climate change *film features Salish Sea, US-Canada border
    <http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/film-from-former-port-townsend-resident-deals-with-salish-sea-climate-change/>

SFGate 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash. (AP)

    "When we set out to make a film about the Salish Sea, I wanted it to
    include both sides of the border," Hinkle said. "Part of what
    brought me to Port Townsend was the Western Flyer. At the time, it
    was just sitting, rotting at the back of the boat yard. We had no
    idea what it would become afterward."..
    The Western Flyer, an old wooden vessel that was made famous by
    author John Steinbeck, is being restored by the Port Townsend
    Shipwrights' Co-op...
    "It was interesting to look at this old wooden boat, which was a
    forgotten part of our history, and have it represent an era of ocean
    research," Hinkle said.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170323125519.htm

    *Climate change*and an 'overlooked' nutrient: Silica
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170323125519.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎19 hours ago‎

Biologist Tim Maguire studied the fine roots of sugar maple trees, to
understand how*climate change*might impact silica uptake.

    Maguire examined the roots of sugar maples, which are sensitive to
    freezing because they grow relatively close to the surface. He
    specifically tested the fine roots, those thin, stringy tendrils
    that absorb water and nutrients from the soil. His first surprising
    finding: the fine roots of a sugar maple tree make up only about 4
    percent of the tree's biomass, but contain a whopping 29 percent of
    the silica. And when damaged by freezing, the amount of silica in
    the fine roots dropped by an astounding 28 percent.
    This can be bad for individual trees, where silica plays several
    important roles, such as giving structure to leaves, protecting
    against harmful fungi, and - Maguire suspects -  toughening tiny
    roots so they can push through rocky New England soil. But the
    downstream ecological consequences may be even more profound. If
    this percentage holds true for all the maple trees in an average
    forest, Maguire calculated, then freezing the roots could reduce
    silica uptake by a significant amount, about 31 percent of the
    silica regularly pumped out of temperate forests into rivers, lakes,
    and streams.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/too-much-stuff-capitalism-crisis-evidance-global-warming-grows

    Too Much Stuff: Capitalism in Crisis As Evidence of*Global
    Warming*Grows
    <http://www.alternet.org/environment/too-much-stuff-capitalism-crisis-evidance-global-warming-grows>

AlterNet 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

In order to avoid a 2°C increase in temperature - the level above which
catastrophic damage will occur—*global*emissions must be reduced to half
their current level by 2050.

http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WNbNkFXsJpi
*1992 World Scientists' Warning to Humanity
<http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WNbNkFXsJpi>*

    Some 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority
    of Nobel laureates in the sciences, issued this appeal in November
    1992. The World Scientists' Warning to Humanity was written and
    spearheaded by the late Henry Kendall, former chair of UCS's board
    of directors.
    Human beings and the natural world are on a collision course. Human
    activities inflict harsh and often irreversible damage on the
    environment and on critical resources. If not checked, many of our
    current practices put at serious risk the future that we wish for
    human society and the plant and animal kingdoms, and may so alter
    the living world that it will be unable to sustain life in the
    manner that we know. Fundamental changes are urgent if we are to
    avoid the collision our present course will bring about.
    We must bring environmentally damaging activities under control to
    restore and protect the integrity of the earth's systems we depend on.
    Five inextricably linked areas must be addressed simultaneously:
    We must bring environmentally damaging activities under control to
    restore and protect the integrity of the earth's systems we depend on.
    We must, for example, move away from fossil fuels to more benign,
    inexhaustible energy sources to cut greenhouse gas emissions and the
    pollution of our air and water. Priority must be given to the
    development of energy sources matched to Third World needs --
    small-scale and relatively easy to implement.
    We must manage resources crucial to human welfare more effectively.
    We must stabilize population.
    We must reduce and eventually eliminate poverty.
    We must ensure sexual equality, and guarantee women control over
    their own reproductive decisions.

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20060403,00.html
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980,00.html
/*This Day in Climate History March 26, 2006
<http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980,00.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
/

    //TIME Magazine releases its April 3, 2006 cover-dated issue, with
    the cover story: "Be Worried. Be Very Worried."
    Earth at the Tipping Point: Global Warming Heats Up
    Polar Ice Caps Are Melting Faster Than Ever... More And More Land Is
    Being Devastated By Drought... Rising Waters Are Drowning Low-Lying
    Communities... The climate is crashing, and global warming is to
    blame. Why the crisis hit so soon--and what we can do about it
    No one can say exactly what it looks like when a planet takes ill,
    but it probably looks a lot like Earth. Never mind what you've heard
    about global warming as a slow-motion emergency that would take
    decades to play out. Suddenly and unexpectedly, the crisis is upon us...
    ...Curbing global warming may be an order of magnitude harder than,
    say, eradicating smallpox or putting a man on the moon. But is it
    moral not to try? We did not so much march toward the environmental
    precipice as drunkenly reel there, snapping at the scientific scolds
    who told us we had a problem.
    The scolds, however, knew what they were talking about. In a solar
    system crowded with sister worlds that either emerged stillborn like
    Mercury and Venus or died in infancy like Mars, we're finally coming
    to appreciate the knife-blade margins within which life can thrive.
    For more than a century we've been monkeying with those margins.
    It's long past time we set them right.

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .