[TheClimate.Vote] March 29, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Oxford summary, Heatwave 60°C = 140°F, Soil microbes

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Mar 29 09:23:09 EDT 2017

/March 29, 2017      Oxford summary,  Heatwave 60°C = 140°F,  Soil microbes/

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/we-all-scream-for-iceland-cream/520980/

    *Climate Change*Is a Boon to Tourism in Iceland
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/we-all-scream-for-iceland-cream/520980/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

The Eggertssons are among the farmers who have been exploring ways to
take advantage of Iceland's*changing climate*. They've experimented with
barley varieties for decades, and, more recently, with wheat and canola,
crops once unthinkable above 60 ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/27/one-of-the-most-troubling-ideas-about-climate-change-just-found-new-evidence-in-its-favor/

    One of the most troubling ideas about*climate change*just found new
    evidence in its favor
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/27/one-of-the-most-troubling-ideas-about-climate-change-just-found-new-evidence-in-its-favor/>

Washington Post 	 -‎Mar 27, 2017‎

The idea is that*climate change*doesn't merely increase the overall
likelihood of heat waves, say, or the volume of rainfall - it also
changes the flow of weather itself
.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20170327/expect-more-deadly-heat-from-climate-change-study-suggests

    Expect More Deadly Heat From*Climate Change*: Study
    <http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20170327/expect-more-deadly-heat-from-climate-change-study-suggests>

WebMD 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

"That said, we still have an unacceptable number of premature deaths
related to heat waves." To examine the impact of global warming on human
heat stress, the researchers used*climate*models and looked at how
global temperature*change*could affect ...
extreme heat events are expected to occur ever more often as the 2
degree Celsius limit is approached, researchers said.
An analysis of 44 of the 101 most populous "megacities" showed that the
number of cities experiencing heat stress doubled with 1.5 degrees
Celsius (2.7 F) of warming, researchers reported.
That trend would potentially expose more than 350 million additional
people to heat stress by 2050, if population continues to grow as
expected, the study authors said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/heatwaves-strike-every-year-global-warming-climate-change-targets-a7654586.html

    Rare deadly heatwaves could strike every year even if*global warming
    *targets are met, warn scientists
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/heatwaves-strike-every-year-global-warming-climate-change-targets-a7654586.html>

The Independent 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

Even if*global warming*was restricted to 2 degrees Celsius, cities such
as Karachi in Pakistan and Kolkata in India could experience deadly
heatwaves like the one which killed more than 3,400 people in 2015 on an
annual basis, scientists said in an .

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/03/27/us-medias-global-warming-denialism/

    US Media's*Global Warming*Denialism
    <https://consortiumnews.com/2017/03/27/us-medias-global-warming-denialism/>

Consortium News 	 -‎22 hours ago‎

The 2016 election, for example, offered a stark and highly controversial
choice between Donald Trump, who dismissed*global warming*as a "hoax"
and promised to revive dirty coal as a fuel of choice in the United
States, and Hillary Clinton, who*...*

http://ktla.com/2017/03/28/gov-jerry-brown-calls-trumps-executive-order-on-climate-change-a-colossal-mistake-says-there-will-be-a-counter-movement/

    Gov. Jerry Brown Calls Trump's Executive Order on*Climate Change*a
    'Colossal Mistake,' Says There Will Be a 'Counter-Movement'
    <http://ktla.com/2017/03/28/gov-jerry-brown-calls-trumps-executive-order-on-climate-change-a-colossal-mistake-says-there-will-be-a-counter-movement/>

KTLA 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Jerry Brown warned that President Trump has just made a "colossal
    mistake" in gutting the federal government's effort to combat
    climate change, which will ignite a response Trump is unprepared to
    handle. "It defies science itself," Brown said in a call ...
    "Yes, there is going to be a counter-movement," Brown vowed,
    predicting Trump's actions will mobilize environmentalists in a way
    President Obama never could. "I have met with many heads of state,
    ambassadors. This is a growing movement. President Trump's
    outrageous move will galvanize the contrary force. Things have been
    a bit tepid [in climate activism]. But this conflict, this
    sharpening of the contradiction, will energize those who believe
    climate change is an existential threat."
    Brown and other big-state governors and mayors are moving swiftly to
    fill the global leadership vacuum Trump created with Tuesday's
    directive, which stops short of officially pulling the U.S. out of
    the Paris climate accord of 2015.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/as-trump-halts-federal-action-on-climate-change-cities-and-states-push-on/2017/03/27/8d093b8c-1319-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

        As Trump halts federal action on*climate change*, cities and
        states push on
        <https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/as-trump-halts-federal-action-on-climate-change-cities-and-states-push-on/2017/03/27/8d093b8c-1319-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html>

    Washington Post 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Jim Brainard is a Republican mayor in a Republican city in a
    Republican state. But that hasn't stopped him from taking aggressive
    steps in recent years to combat*climate change*and become more
    energy efficient. During his tenure, Carmel, Ind., has*...*

    *Joint Statement on President's Executive Order on the Clean Power Plan*
    *By the Governors of Washington, Oregon and California and the
    Mayors of Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles*
    "As the governors of Washington, Oregon and California and the
    mayors of Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles,
    we speak today in unified opposition to President Trump's Executive
    Order withdraw and rewrite the Clean Power Plan. We won't let the
    president's misguided decision limit our region's economic
    opportunities or our commitment to doing what's right to make our
    cities and states cleaner and healthier for future generations.
    "We speak as a region of over 50 million people with a combined GDP
    of $2.8 trillion. There is no question that to act on climate is to
    act in our best economic interests. Through expanded climate
    policies, we have grown jobs and expanded our economies while
    cleaning our air.
    "This Order moves our nation in the wrong direction and puts
    American prosperity at risk. We will assert our own 21st century
    leadership and chart a different course. Climate change is one of
    our greatest threats, from more wildfires threatening our homes and
    communities to ocean acidification rocking our shellfish industry to
    drought hurting our farmers. Too much is at stake – from our health
    and safety to our jobs and livelihoods – for us to move backwards.
    "We will honor our commitments to our communities to do what's right
    to keep our residents safe, secure, healthy and prosperous as we
    accelerate our clean energy economy and put the interest of our
    people before those of big polluters. We will continue to invest in
    clean energy that creates local jobs and keeps utility bills low,
    and we will electrify transportation to provide convenient, safe,
    and affordable ways to get around our cities, and make our
    neighborhoods healthy and vibrant.
    "Our cities and states will continue to assert our leadership and
    position our region for economic success. We urge states, cities and
    businesses from across the country to join us in leading and
    re-affirming our commitment to cut carbon emissions and reverse the
    damaging impacts to our communities of unfettered pollution."
    Jointly signed by:
    California Governor Jerry Brown
    Oregon Governor Kate Brown
    Washington Governor Jay Inslee
    Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
    San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee
    Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
    Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler
    Seattle Mayor Ed Murray

*
*http://www.azfamily.com/story/35019144/gov-ducey-changes-mind-on-causes-of-global-warming

    Gov. Ducey changes mind on causes of*global warming*- azfamily.com
    3TV | Phoenix Breaking News, Weather, Sport
    <http://www.azfamily.com/story/35019144/gov-ducey-changes-mind-on-causes-of-global-warming>

AZFamily 	 -‎58 minutes ago‎

Doug Ducey on Tuesday appeared to change his mind on what causes
of*global warming*, saying he believes human activity is a contributing
factor

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/28/jane-goodall-trump-climate-change

    Jane Goodall calls Trump's*climate change*agenda 'immensely
    depressing'
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/28/jane-goodall-trump-climate-change>

The Guardian 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    The British primatologist, renowned for her work with chimpanzees,
    expressed dismay that Trump and others in his administration have
    questioned the scientific basis of climate change. "Because I'm
    traveling all over the world 300 days a year, I have seen the result
    of climate change and we know, science has shown, that global
    temperatures are warming and these so-called greenhouse gases are
    blanketing the globe," she said, noting that ice is melting, sea
    levels rising and oceans losing their ability to absorb carbon
    dioxide...
    Speaking with quiet, calm and piercing authority, Goodall continued:
    "So being not a scientist in that field I tend to listen to
    scientists who do work in that field, like Nicholas Stern, and I
    would not dream of refuting the science that shows climate change is
    happening, it's happening everywhere, it's already having
    devastating effects in many parts of the word and the droughts are
    getting worse, flooding's getting worse, storms, hurricanes are
    getting more frequent and more violent. And the main thing is
    unpredictability: everywhere I go people say well it's not normally
    like that at this time of year."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yavR7uk3epQ
http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/videos/view/620
*(video) 'Climate change: what's new, what's next?' with Karen Florini
<http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/videos/view/620>*/(a very positive
presentation) /

    In the geophysical world as well as the policy realm, major climate
    developments have been coming thick and fast over the last year.
    Former U.S. Deputy Special Envoy for Climate Change and Oxford
    Martin Visiting Fellow Karen Florini explores some recent highlights
    as well as possible future directions.
    Oxford Martin School,
    University of Oxford
    www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/when-is-it-time-to-retreat-from-climate-change
*When Is It Time to Retreat from Climate Change?
<http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/when-is-it-time-to-retreat-from-climate-change>*

    Battered by storms and sea-level rise, and deprived of revitalizing
    sediment from the Mississippi River, its surface area has shrunk by
    ninety-eight per cent since 1955, and its remaining three hundred
    and twenty acres can flood in little more than a stiff breeze.
    Stanford researchers examined twenty-seven recent cases of managed
    retreat affecting twenty-two countries and 1.3 million people. They
    found that, regardless of a country's wealth and level of
    development, relocations are most likely to happen when a government
    and its citizens are in accord.
    Most current coastal-adaptation measures focus on protection (higher
    seawalls, for instance) or tweaks to development rules, steps that
    come at little cost to either individuals or governments. The
    barriers to retreat, on the other hand, are much larger,
    psychologically, politically, and economically.
    Well more than a hundred million people are expected to face
    displacement by rising seas before the end of the century. "We're
    going to have to think really hard about how and where it happens,
    who moves and who stays, and whose values matter most," Mach said.
    "In so many ways, it's a perfect unfolding of both the tensions and
    the opportunities in adaptation."
    http://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate3252.epdf

http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article140916413.html
*More extreme weather could mean more, bigger wildfires, scientists say
<http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article140916413.html>*

    Although scientists can't attribute any particular weather event to
    climate change, the extreme weather the past two years in Kansas is
    consistent with climate change models, according to Mike Flannigan,
    a professor of wildland fire at the University of Alberta in Canada.
    The warmer it gets, the more fire you have," Flannigan said.
    Farmers and ranchers in Kansas are already dealing with some of the
    effects of the air warming, according to Chuck Rice, a professor of
    agriculture at Kansas State University. The last frost of winter
    arrives on average 10 days sooner than it did 100 years ago, Rice
    said, and the warming is affecting the moisture levels in the soil.
    http://hppr.org/post/more-extreme-weather-kansas-likely-mean-more-wildfires
    *More extreme weather in Kansas likely to mean more wildfires
    <More%20extreme%20weather%20in%20Kansas%20likely%20to%20mean%20more%20wildfires>*
    ... although scientists can't attribute any particular weather event
    to climate change, the extreme weather the past two years in Kansas
    is consistent with climate change models, says Mike Flannigan,
    professor of wildland fire at the University of Alberta in Canada.
    http://hppr.org/post/community-effort-along-much-needed-rain-contains-wildfire-seward-county
    *Community effort, along with much needed rain, contains wildfire in
    Seward County
    <http://hppr.org/post/community-effort-along-much-needed-rain-contains-wildfire-seward-county>*
    Much-needed rain, along with a community effort by farmers and area
    fire departments helped control another Kansas wildfire that broke
    out in Seward County on Thursday...
    The 2,500-acre fire is now contained, according to a post by Seward
    County Fire Chief Andrew Barkley. The cause of the fire is under
    investigation...
    "We can not stress enough for residents to clear 100 by 100 feet
    around their homes to provide a defensible space," Barkley stated.
    "We also can not stress enough during extreme fire danger that extra
    caution needs to be observed when working near or around dry
    grasslands."
    Drone video captures wildfire-ravaged Kansas landscape
    <http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article137469883.html>
    http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article137469883.html
    http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article140916413.html

http://climatenewsnetwork.net/soil-microbes-key-climate-puzzle/
*Soil microbes hold key to climate puzzle
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/soil-microbes-key-climate-puzzle/>*

    Scientific studies cast new light on the complex role soil microbes
    play in affecting ecosystems, atmospheric carbon levels and the climate.
    By Tim Radford
    LONDON, 28 March, 2017 − Climate scientists puzzled by the traffic
    of carbon between soil and air may have to think more deeply about
    the role played by soil microbes − the planet's smallest inhabitants.
    One research team has just found that soil microbes could actually
    lighten the colour of arid land soils, to reflect more light and
    bounce more radiation energy back into space.
    Another has identified an unexpected source of atmospheric carbon:
    17% of the soil carbon that gets into the atmosphere from a
    floodplain has its origins among micro-organisms at depths of more
    than two metres.
    And a third group has identified soil bacteria that could help
    plants survive drought, and enhance crop yields in drylands such as
    Arizona, Israel and the Nile Valley.
    https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/vzj/abstracts/15/7/vzj2016.02.0014
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadose_zone

http://gizmodo.com/rising-sea-levels-could-decimate-southern-california-be-1793730079

    Rising Sea Levels Could Decimate Southern California Beaches by 2100
    <http://gizmodo.com/rising-sea-levels-could-decimate-southern-california-be-1793730079>

Gizmodo 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    A new study published in the Journal of Geophysical Research warns
    that 31 to 67 percent of Southern California beaches are at risk of
    complete erosion by the year 2100 under predicted scenarios of
    sea-level rise of three to six feet. In addition to devastating the
    local tourist economy, the lost beaches will eliminate an important
    defense for the 18 million people who live near the coast. The lead
    author of the study, Sean Vitousek from the US Geological Survey and
    the University of Illinois at Chicago, says massive and costly
    interventions will be required to preserve the 310 miles of
    coastline that's poised to be affected.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016JF004065/abstract

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/science/heat-wave-predictions-weather.html
*This Day in Climate History March 29, 2016
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/science/heat-wave-predictions-weather.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker
*The New York Times reports:
"Deadly summer heat waves in the eastern United States may be
predictable nearly two months before they occur, giving emergency
planners and farmers more time to prepare, scientists reported on Monday."
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .