[TheClimate.Vote] March 30 , 2017 - Daily Global Warming News: Congress shows "horrendously depressing display of scientific illiteracy"

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Mar 30 09:28:43 EDT 2017

/March 30 , 2017 //Congress displays //"horrendously depressing display
of scientific illiteracy" /

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/29/unbalanced-climate-change-hearing-proves-pointless/

    Unbalanced*climate*-*change*hearing proves pointless  - Washington
    Post
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/29/unbalanced-climate-change-hearing-proves-pointless/>

Washington Post 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

(This story, originally published Wednesday afternoon, was updated in
the evening.) The House Science Committee convened a hearing
on*climate*-*change*science Wednesday morning and it went just as I
expected. We learned little, and political theater ...

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/03/michael-mann-lamar-smith-house-science-committee

    A Scientist Just Spent 2 Hours Debating the Biggest *Global
    Warming*Deniers in Congress
    <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/03/michael-mann-lamar-smith-house-science-committee>

Mother Jones 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

At a congressional hearing on climate science Wednesday, Michael Mann
lamented that he was the only witness representing the overwhelming
scientific consensus that manmade*global warming*poses a major threat.
"We find ourselves at this hearing today ...

    https://climatecrocks.com/2017/03/29/science-committee-show-hearing-on-climate-change/
    *"Science": Committee Show Hearing on Climate Change
    <https://climatecrocks.com/2017/03/29/science-committee-show-hearing-on-climate-change/>*
    Mike Mann's best line on Chairman Smith's use of the phrase
    "scientific method" –
    "I don't think that means what you think it means."..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM86Bl4jSEI
    (video) Hearing- Climate Science: Assumptions, Policy Implications,
    and the Scientific Method <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM86Bl4jSEI>
    Gizmodo: Presiding over this shitstorm was, of course, Texas
    Republican Lamar Smith, who has been Chair of the committee since
    Republicans took the House in 2012.
    It was, overall, a horrendously depressing display of scientific
    illiteracy, but there were some odd bits of optimism to be found.
    The witnesses all agreed at various points that yes, the climate is
    changing and that humans play a role (though they disagreed,
    contrary to overwhelming evidence, on the magnitude of that role),
    and they also agreed that the Trump administration's proposed cuts
    to Earth-observing systems at NASA, NOAA, and elsewhere are a
    monumentally dumb idea...
    "Before we impose costly government regulations, we should evaluate
    scientific uncertainties and ascertain the extent to which they make
    it difficult to quantify humans' contribution to climate change,"
    Smith said in his opening statement, ignoring the vast piles of
    evidence on that very topic...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lamar-smith-science-magazine-us_us_58dbae95e4b0cb23e65d06f5

        House Science Committee Chair Says Science Magazine Is Not
        'Objective'
        <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lamar-smith-science-magazine-us_us_58dbae95e4b0cb23e65d06f5>

    Huffington Post 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    WASHINGTON - Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House
    Committee on Science, Space and Technology, has challenged the
    credibility of Science magazine - one of the world's most respected
    science publications.
    http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/03/michael-mann-lamar-smith-house-science-committee

        A Scientist Just Spent 2 Hours Debating the Biggest*Global
        Warming* Deniers in Congress
        <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/03/michael-mann-lamar-smith-house-science-committee>

    Mother Jones 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    At a congressional hearing on climate science Wednesday, Michael
    Mann lamented that he was the only witness representing the
    overwhelming scientific consensus that ma

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-scientists-highlight-antarctic-ice-upheaval.html

    Scientists highlight Antarctic ice upheaval in response to
    prehistoric climate change
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-03-scientists-highlight-antarctic-ice-upheaval.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

A team of scientists led by the University of Southampton has found that
the Antarctic ice cap underwent dramatic cycles of expansion and
melt-back millions of years ago when carbon dioxide levels were similar
to those experienced today.
"Increasingly we are understanding that the Antarctic ice cap is not
some enduring monolithic block but a much more slippery ephemeral beast
- and the implications of that realisation for the future of Antarctic
ice sheets in a very rapidly warming .
Large swings in isotopic composition suggest that the Antarctic lost and
regained almost all of its ice in numerous 110,000-year cycles between
the Oligocene and early Miocene epochs...
"At that time, large ice sheets had not yet developed in the northern
hemisphere, so the cycles that we observe mean that Earth was switching
back and forth between a unipolar glacial state and a largely
deglaciated state," said Dr Liebrand.
Professor Paul Wilson, a University of Southampton colleague also
involved in the study, added: "All of this happened during an interval
when atmospheric carbon dioxide levels ranged between today's
human-influenced value and those that, at current rates of fossil
fuel-burning, we will experience in 50 to 100 years from now...
"The Antarctic ice cap was incredibly dynamic – it underwent repeated
large-scale expansion and melt-back in the twinkling of a geological eye."

http://www.pennlive.com/capitol-notebook/2017/03/scott_wagner_explains_climate.html

    Scott Wagner explains*climate change*: 'We're moving closer to the
    sun'
    <http://www.pennlive.com/capitol-notebook/2017/03/scott_wagner_explains_climate.html>

PennLive.com 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

    Republican 2018 guv candidate Scott Wagner keynoted an event for
    natural gas advocates in Harrisburg on Tuesday, offering an ... ah
    ... novel explanation for the scientific phenomenon known as climate
    change:
    "I haven't been in a science class in a long time, but the earth
    moves closer to the sun every year-you know the rotation of the
    earth," Wagner, a York County state senator, said, according to
    StateImpact Pennsylvania. "We're moving closer to the sun."..
    He added, according to StateImpact's Katie Meyer, that, "We have
    more people. You know, humans have warm bodies. So is heat coming
    off? Things are changing, but I think we are, as a society, doing
    the best we can."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovIy-dHO48
*(video) Planet Will Burn Before Corporate Media Covers Climate Change
as Existential Threat <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovIy-dHO48>*

    Published on Mar 10, 2017
    Paul Jay says that the elites and their corporate media are not
    dealing with the climate crisis with the urgency it deserves because
    they think they will be ok and live by the philosophy of 'to hell
    with what comes tomorrow'

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/climate-change-skeptic-group-seeks-to-influence-200000-teachers/
*Climate Change Skeptic Group Seeks to Influence 200,000 Teachers
<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/climate-change-skeptic-group-seeks-to-influence-200000-teachers/>*

    Twenty-five thousand science teachers opened their mailboxes this
    month and found a package from the Heartland Institute, a
    libertarian think tank that rejects the scientific consensus on
    climate change.
    It contained the organization's book "Why Scientists Disagree About
    Global Warming," as well as a DVD rejecting the human role in
    climate change and arguing instead that rising temperatures have
    been caused primarily by natural phenomena. The material will be
    sent to an additional 25,000 teachers every two weeks until every
    public-school science teacher in the nation has a copy, Heartland
    president and CEO Joseph Bast said in an interview last week. If so,
    the campaign would reach more than 200,000 K-12 science teachers...
    The campaign elicited immediate derision from the National Center
    for Science Education (NCSE), a nonprofit in Oakland, California
    that monitors climate change education in classrooms...
    "It's not science, but it's dressed up to look like science," said
    NCSE executive director Ann Reid. "It's clearly intended to confuse
    teachers."

http://nagt-jge.org/doi/abs/10.5408/13-071.1?code=gete-site
COMMENTARIES ON CLIMATE LITERACY
*Raising Climate Literacy Through Addressing Misinformation: Case
Studies in Agnotology-Based Learning
<http://nagt-jge.org/doi/abs/10.5408/13-071.1?code=gete-site>*

    ABSTRACT
    Agnotology is the study of how and why ignorance or misconceptions
    exist. While misconceptions are a challenge for educators, they also
    present an opportunity to improve climate literacy through
    agnotology-based learning. This involves the use of refutational
    lessons that challenge misconceptions while teaching scientific
    conceptions. We present three case studies in improving climate
    literacy through agnotology-based learning. Two case studies are
    classroom-based, applied in a community college and a four-year
    university. We outline the misinformation examined, how students are
    required to engage with the material and the results from this
    learning approach. The third case study is a public outreach
    targeting a climate misconception about scientific consensus. We
    outline how cognitive research guided the design of content, and the
    ways in which the material was disseminated through social media and
    mainstream media. These real-world examples provide effective ways
    to reduce misperceptions and improve climate literacy, consistent
    with twenty years of research demonstrating that refutational texts
    are among the most effective forms of reducing misperceptions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/science/new-york-climate-change-inquiry-into-exxon-adds-prosecutors.html?_r=0

*This Day in Climate History March 30, 2016
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/science/new-york-climate-change-inquiry-into-exxon-adds-prosecutors.html?_r=0>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    The New York Times reports:
    "More government officials are asking what Exxon Mobil knew about
    climate change.
    "Attorneys general from Massachusetts and the Virgin Islands
    announced Tuesday that they would join Eric T. Schneiderman, New
    York’s attorney general, in his investigation into whether Exxon
    Mobil lied in decades past to investors and the public about the
    threat of climate change.
    "The additional participation was announced during a news conference
    at Mr. Schneiderman’s offices in Lower Manhattan announcing support
    from 15 states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands for
    the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan.
    "Attorneys general from Vermont, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia,
    Connecticut and the Virgin Islands, as well as former Vice President
    Al Gore, attended the event."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/science/new-york-climate-change-inquiry-into-exxon-adds-prosecutors.html?_r=0

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .