[TheClimate.Vote] March 31, 2017 - Daily Global Warming - Language, Psyche, Disclosing risk, Investment wisdom

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 31 06:10:26 EDT 2017

/March 31, 2017      Language, Psyche, Disclosing risk, Investment wisdom/

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/30/trump-to-announce-more-big-global-warming-science-cuts/

    Trump To Announce More Big*Global Warming*Science Cuts
    <http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/30/trump-to-announce-more-big-global-warming-science-cuts/>

Daily Caller 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

President Donald Trump is looking to cut another $140 million in funding
from government-funded*global warming*science programs, according to Space.

http://www.catholic.org/news/green/story.php?id=74279

    Big companies defy Trump on*climate change*
    <http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/big-companies-defy-trump-on-climate-change.html>

CNBC 	 -‎48 minutes ago‎

As President Trump rolls back Obama's environmental legacy, it isn't
just green groups who say they'll resist America's reversal on clean
electricity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/donald-trump-tom-crowther-climate-change-speed-up-destroy-jobs-global-warming-a7656996.html

    Donald Trump's 'insane' climate change policy will destroy more jobs
    than it creates, says*global warming*expert
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/donald-trump-tom-crowther-climate-change-speed-up-destroy-jobs-global-warming-a7656996.html>

The Independent 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

Donald Trump will speed up*global warming*and will potentially destroy
more American jobs than he creates, a climate change expert has warned.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/vladimir-putin-russia-trump-us-climate-policy.html

    *Climate change*doubters may not be so silly, says Russia President
    Putin
    <http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/vladimir-putin-russia-trump-us-climate-policy.html>

CNBC 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

While Putin reaffirmed Russia's commitment to the Paris climate
agreement, he also agreed with Finnish President Sauli Niinistö's
comments regarding the inevitability of global warming.

ttp://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-rebuke-to-trump-ge-chief-says-climate-change-is-real-2017-03-30

    In rebuke to Trump, GE chief says '*climate change*is real'
    <http://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-rebuke-to-trump-ge-chief-says-climate-change-is-real-2017-03-30>

MarketWatch 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

In a blog post to employees Wednesday, Immelt highlighted the
administration's move and said*climate change*"should be addressed on a
global basis through multi-national agreements" such as the 2015 Paris
Agreement.

http://www.catholic.org/news/green/story.php?id=74279

    How algae in the Arctic provides new proof*global warming*is real
    <http://www.catholic.org/news/green/story.php?id=74279>

Catholic Online 	 -‎8 minutes ago‎

There's new evidence the Arctic is*warming*, more difficult to dismiss.
Since 2011, algae has appeared in the Arctic, brought to life by the
thinning ice which allows more sunlight than ever before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/opinion/president-trump-risks-the-planet.html?_r=0
*(NYTimes EDITORIAL BOARD) President Trump Risks the Planet
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/opinion/president-trump-risks-the-planet.html?_r=0>*

    That didn't take long.
    Only 10 weeks into his presidency, and at great risk to future
    generations, Donald Trump has ordered the demolition of most of
    President Barack Obama's policies to combat climate change by
    reducing emissions from fossil fuels...
    The assault began with Mr. Trump's pledge in Detroit to roll back
    fuel efficiency standards for cars and trucks, continued with a
    stingy budget plan that would end funding for climate-related
    scientific programs and reached an unhappy apex Tuesday with an
    executive order that, among things, would rescind the centerpiece of
    Mr. Obama's clean power strategy, a rule that would shut down
    hundreds of old coal-fired power plants and freeze the construction
    of new ones...
    None of this was unexpected from a man who has described climate
    change as a hoax invented by the Chinese to destroy American
    industry and who has surrounded himself with cabinet officers and
    assistants who know or care little about the issue of global warming
    and its consequences — and who, in many cases, owe their political
    success to the largess of the oil, gas and coal companies...
    This raises two very real dangers. Either other big countries also
    pull out of the agreement. Or they decide to seize the initiative on
    clean energy sources, which would be good for the climate but bad
    for American industry....
    Are there ways to avert this madness? Yes. Mr. Trump's orders will
    not take effect right away. The E.P.A. will need a year or longer to
    develop a replacement for the Clean Power Plan. Progressive states
    like California and New York will almost surely proceed with their
    own initiatives to reduce greenhouse gases. And then there is public
    opinion. It punished the Republicans severely in 1994 when Newt
    Gingrich and his allies tried to roll back environmental laws. It
    punished them again in 2008 after eight years of denialism and
    prevarication on climate change under George W. Bush and his fossil
    fuel acolyte, Dick Cheney. There is time enough before Mr. Trump's
    ignorance translates into actual policy for the public to make its
    opposition to this anti-science agenda felt again.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=800394

    It's Time for Asset Managers to Step Up on*Climate Change*
    <http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=800394>

Morningstar.com 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    BlackRock and SSGA have made climate change a priority for company
    engagement.
    ...one of the world's greatest investors, GMO co-founder Jeremy
    Grantham, in a livestream for the Morningstar Institutional
    Conference in Amsterdam. Grantham didn't want to talk about the
    things that made him a famous investor, like asset bubbles and
    reversion to the mean. He wanted to talk about climate change.
    We're in the race of our lives, Grantham, 78, told me, if we're
    going to deal adequately with the consequences of man-made global
    warming: rising sea levels, drought, flooding, and other extreme
    weather events, resulting in food and water shortages, all set
    against the backdrop of world population growth and increased income
    inequality, resulting in huge financial costs and the
    destabilization of political and economic systems.
    If the global financial system itself isn't sustainable over the
    long run, neither will be their investments.
    How do they do this? By explicitly considering climate change risks
    and opportunities in their investment processes. I'm not talking
    only about the relatively small number of investment strategies
    focused on delivering some type of sustainable-impact outcome for
    investors--I'm talking about asset managers incorporating climate
    change into their firmwide approach to investing.
    That includes, importantly, company engagement. Asset managers are
    owners of the companies they hold in their portfolios. As
    shareholders, and on behalf of their own fund investors and private
    clients, asset managers have a seat at the table to directly engage
    with companies on climate issues
    I'm not talking only about the relatively small number of investment
    strategies focused on delivering some type of sustainable-impact
    outcome for investors--I'm talking about asset managers
    incorporating*climate change*into their firmwide approach to ...
    I agree with Jeremy Grantham. We're in the race of our lives with
    climate change. It's made all the worse having a president who calls
    climate change a hoax and who, with his recent executive orders, is
    actively undermining the ability of the U.S. to reach its
    carbon-reduction targets based on the Paris agreement, while also
    forbidding federal agencies, including the U.S. military, from doing
    the very thing many asset managers are asking companies to do:
    prudently assess the risks posed to their mission by climate change.
    As responsible stewards of investor capital, it's time for our
    leading asset managers to speak up loud and clear, not only behind
    closed doors in corporate boardrooms, but in the public sphere as well.

  BlackRock's engagement priorities statement
<https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/about-us/investment-stewardship/engagement-priorities>:
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/about-us/investment-stewardship/engagement-priorities
*Our engagement priorities for 2017-2018 Disclosure of climate risks
<https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/about-us/investment-stewardship/engagement-priorities#climate-risk>*
Key points:   These are our Investment Stewardship priorities for the
next year, which should help companies prepare for engaging with us.
Consistent disclosure of  standards would enhance understanding of the
impact of climate change on individual companies, sectors and investment
strategies.
Disclosure of Climate Risk

> TheBlackRock Investment Institute
> <https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/insights/blackrock-investment-institute> has
> published two papers –"The Price of Climate Change – Global Warming's
> Impact on Portfolios"
> <https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/whitepaper/bii-pricing-climate-risk-us.pdf>and"Adapting
> Portfolios to Climate Change"
> <https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/whitepaper/bii-climate-change-2016-us.pdf>–
> on climate change as an investment consideration, to which the
> Investment Stewardship team contributed. That work enhanced our
> understanding of the complexity companies and investors face in
> relation to climate change and has informedour engagement with
> companies
> <https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/about-us/investment-stewardship/voting-guidelines-reports-position-papers> on
> theanticipated impact of climate change on their business models and
> operations over time
> <https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/market-commentary/how-blackrock-investment-stewardship-engages-on-climate-risk-march2017.pdf>.
> We believe that enhanced, meaningful disclosures are an important step
> towards building understanding of the impact on individual companies,
> sectors and investment strategies. Given climate risk is an universal
> issue, we believe disclosure standards should be developed that are
> applicable to listed companies across each market and, ideally, that
> are globally consistent.
>
> To that end, BlackRock was represented on the 32 member, industry-led
> Financial Stability Board Task Force on Climate-related Financial
> Disclosures ("TCFD").... Over the course of the coming year, we will
> engage companies most exposed to climate risk to understand their
> views on the TCFD recommendations and to encourage them to consider
> using this reporting framework as it is finalized and subsequently
> evolves over time.

https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/whitepaper/bii-pricing-climate-risk-us.pdf
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/whitepaper/bii-climate-change-2016-us.pdf
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/en-us/literature/market-commentary/how-blackrock-investment-stewardship-engages-on-climate-risk-march2017.pdf

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/energy-department-climate-change-phrases-banned-236655

    Energy Department climate office bans use of phrase '*climate
    change*'
    <http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/energy-department-climate-change-phrases-banned-236655>

Politico 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    A supervisor at the Energy Department's international climate office
    told staff this week not to use the phrases "climate change,"
    "emissions reduction" or "Paris Agreement" in written memos,
    briefings or other written communication...
    The Office of International Climate and Clean Energy is the only
    office at DOE with the words 'climate' in its name, and it may be
    endangered as Trump looks to reorganize government agencies.
    A supervisor at the Energy Department's international climate office
    told staff this week not to use the phrases "climate change,"
    "emissions reduction" or "Paris Agreement" in written memos,
    briefings or other written communication, sources have told POLITICO....
    Employees of DOE's Office of International Climate and Clean Energy
    learned of the ban at a meeting Tuesday, the same day President
    Donald Trump signed an executive order at EPA headquarters to
    reverse most of former President Barack Obama's climate regulatory
    initiatives. Officials at the State Department and in other DOE
    offices said they had not been given a banned words list, but they
    had started avoiding climate-related terms in their memos and
    briefings given the new administration's direction on climate change...
    A DOE spokeswoman denied there had been a new directive. "No words
    or phrases have been banned for this office or anyone in the
    department," said DOE spokeswoman Lindsey Geisler....
    Another DOE source in a different office said that although there
    had been no formal instructions about climate-related language in
    their office there was a general sense that it's better to avoid
    certain hot-button terms in favor of words like "jobs" and
    "infrastructure."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/29/climate-change-companies-challenge-trump-mars-staples-gap

    '*Climate change*is real': companies challenge Trump's reversal of
    policy
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/29/climate-change-companies-challenge-trump-mars-staples-gap>

The Guardian 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

The centerpiece for this reduction was the clean power plan, billed in
2015 as the strongest action ever on*climate change*by a US president
but criticised by some for targeting coal-fired power plants, which
release more carbon and fine particulate*...*

http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2017/03/29/father-james-martin-why-climate-change-moral-issue

    Father James Martin: Why is*climate change*a moral issue?
    <http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2017/03/29/father-james-martin-why-climate-change-moral-issue>

America Magazine 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

This is not simply because the rich often make economic decisions that
don't take the poor into account but because the poor have fewer
financial resources to help them adapt to*climate change*. They cannot
move, protect their houses or switch jobs as*...*

http://time.com/4719009/climate-change-mental-health/

    The*Climate Change*Problem No One Talks About: Anxiety and
    Depression <http://time.com/4719009/climate-change-mental-health/>

TIME 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

"When you think about*climate change*, mental health might not be the
first thing that comes to mind," write Howard S. Kurtzman of the
American Psychological Association and Bob Perkowitz of ecoAmerica in a
letter accompanying the report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/03/29/climate-change-can-take-a-toll-on-mental-health-new-report-says/

    *Climate change*can take a toll on mental health, new report says
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/03/29/climate-change-can-take-a-toll-on-mental-health-new-report-says/>

Washington Post 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    Climate change is not only harmful to our physical health — it can
    be debilitating for our mental health as well, according to a report
    published Wednesday.
    <http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2017/03/mental-health-climate.pdf>
    Severe weather events and natural disasters linked to climate change
    have the most dramatic impact on mental health, according to the
    report by the American Psychological Association and EcoAmerica:
    Natural disasters cause intense negative emotions in people who are
    exposed to them, primarily fear and grief. Anxiety, depression and
    unhealthy behavior are also common responses. Some people,
    particularly those who experience tragic events, such as the loss of
    a loved one or repeated exposure to extreme weather, develop
    post-traumatic stress disorder.
    Displacement because of natural disasters can lead to a variety of
    negative consequences, such as a loss of social support, strains on
    personal relationships, absences from work and higher medical costs,
    according to the report...
    The weather people experience also influences their mental health,
    the report says. Prolonged exposure to warmer weather makes people
    more aggressive and diminishes cognitive functions, according to
    earlier studies
    <http://public.psych.iastate.edu/caa/abstracts/2000-2004/01A.pdf>.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/30032017/exxonmobil-climate-change-research-ny-attorney-general-investigation

    In Setback for Exxon, Texas Judge Kicks*Climate Change*Case to New
    York
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/30032017/exxonmobil-climate-change-research-ny-attorney-general-investigation>

InsideClimate News 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

A federal judge handling ExxonMobil's dispute with the attorneys general
of New York and Massachusetts has transferred the case about*climate
change*from his court in Texas to one in New York. The decision marks a
setback for the Dallas-based oil giant*...*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhiDcrUxq5I
*(video) CNN Money  Why climate change researchers are freaking out
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhiDcrUxq5I>*
Some transparency advocates fear public access to data might disappear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9z-QkeO-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf75v2k3EE
*This Day in Climate History March 31, 2009
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf75v2k3EE> - *from D.R. Tucker and
Ross Gelbspan

    *MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips denialist Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL):*
    "But our winner, Congressman John Shimkus, Republican of Illinois,
    with two fascinating and utterly contradictory statements.  A,
    Congressman Shimkus on why there isn‘t global warming.  'Today we
    have about 388 parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in the
    atmosphere.  I think in the age of the dinosaurs, when we had most
    flora and fauna, we were probably at 4,000 parts per million.
    There‘s a theological debate that this is a carbon-starved planet,
    not too much carbon.'
    "Number one, Carbon and Carbon Dioxide are not the same thing.
    Number two, the only theological debate over how much carbon the
    plan needs would be taking place in the church of the Labrea Tar
    Pits.  Number three, didn‘t the freaking dinosaurs go extinct?  Or
    do they just have a bad public relations person?
    "But I‘m digressing.  B, Congressman Shimkus on why it doesn‘t
    matter anyway.  'The Earth will end only when God declares it‘s time
    to be over.  A man will not destroy this Earth.  This Earth will not
    be destroyed by a flood.  I appreciate having panelists here who are
    men of faith, and we can get into the theological discourse of that
    position.  But I do believe that God‘s word is infallible,
    unchanging, perfect.'
    "So a man pressing a button to start a nuclear war, that would be
    God‘s infallible word?  Why do we bother trying to govern?  Can‘t he
    do something about the budget deficit?  By the way, as you hit me
    over the head with your Bible, Congressman, there ain‘t a word in it
    about those dinosaurs you mentioned earlier.
    "Congressman John Shimkus of Illinois, today‘s worst person in the
    world!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf75v2k3EE

    *MSNBC's Rachel Maddow also mocks Shimkus during her "GOP in Exile"
    segment:*
    "While the Republican Party continues its search for mean in the
    minority, one Republican congressman, John Shimkus of Illinois,
    maybe should stop searching.  Just sit down, Congressman and take a
    breather, honestly.  Check this out:
    "REP. JOHN SHIMKUS (R-IL):  Today, we have about 388 parts per
    million in the atmosphere.  I think in the age of dinosaurs, where
    we had more flora and fauna, we were probably at 4,000 parts per
    million.  There is a theological debate that this is a carbon
    starved planet, not too much carbon.
    "MADDOW:  In other words, we shouldn‘t bother trying to reduce the
    amount of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere because the dinosaurs did
    just fine with the tons of carbon that God gave them for their
    atmosphere.  Also, the dodo bird ate plenty of cholesterol.  And the
    saber tooth tiger never, ever flossed.  Stop worrying, people."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9z-QkeO-E

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  S//tay well-informed &  forward this email./

        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .