[TheClimate.Vote] November 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Nov 3 11:21:19 EDT 2017

/November 3, 2017/*
**
Climate change 'will create world's biggest refugee crisis'
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/02/climate-change-will-create-worlds-biggest-refugee-crisis>*
Experts warn refugees could number tens of millions in the next decade,
and call for a new legal framework to protect the most vulnerable.
Tens of millions of people will be forced from their homes by climate
change in the next decade, creating the biggest refugee crisis the world
has ever seen, according to a new report.
Senior US military and security experts have told the Environmental
Justice Foundation (EJF) study that the number of climate refugees will
dwarf those that have fled the Syrian conflict, bringing huge challenges
to Europe.
"If Europe thinks they have a problem with migration today … wait 20
years," said retired US military corps brigadier general Stephen Cheney.
"See what happens when climate change drives people out of Africa - the
Sahel [sub-Saharan area] especially - and we're talking now not just one
or two million, but 10 or 20 [million]. They are not going to south
Africa, they are going across the Mediterranean."...
Although the report highlights to growing impact of climate change on
people in the Middle East and Africa, it says changing weather patterns
- like the hurricanes that devastated parts of the US this year - prove
richer nations are not immune from climate change.
But Trent said that although climate change undoubtedly posed an
"existential threat to our world" it was not to late to take decisive
action.
  "By taking strong ambitious steps now to phase out greenhouse gas
emissions and building an international legal mechanism to protect
climate refugees we will protect the poorest and most vulnerable in our
global society, build resilience, reap massive economic benefits and
build a safe and secure future for our planet. Climate change will not
wait. Neither can we. For climate refugees, tomorrow is too late."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/02/climate-change-will-create-worlds-biggest-refugee-crisis
-
*Uprooted by Climate Change: Responding to the growing risk of
displacement
<https://www.oxfamamerica.org/explore/research-publications/uprooted-by-climate-change-responding-to-the-growing-risk-of-displacement/>*
Climate change is already forcing people from their land and homes, and
putting many more at risk of displacement in the future.
Supercharged storms, more intense droughts, rising seas and other
impacts of climate change all magnify existing vulnerabilities and the
likelihood of displacement, disproportionately affecting low-income
countries, women, children and indigenous peoples. Responding to these
growing realities demands far stronger action towards ending global
climate pollution, supporting resilient communities, ensuring rights for
people on the move and developing long-term strategies to ensure that
those who are forced to move in the future are able to do so safely and
with dignity.
Publication date  November 2, 2017
Download Uprooted by Climate Change: Responding to the growing risk of
displacement
<https://www.oxfamamerica.org/static/media/files/bp-uprooted-by-climate-change-031117-en.pdf>

https://www.oxfamamerica.org/static/media/files/bp-uprooted-by-climate-change-031117-en.pdf
https://www.oxfamamerica.org/explore/research-publications/uprooted-by-climate-change-responding-to-the-growing-risk-of-displacement/

*Quarter of Oil Refineries Risk Closure Under Climate Goals-Report
<https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/11/01/business/01reuters-climatechange-refining.html?_r=0>*
By REUTERS   NOV. 1, 2017
LONDON - A quarter of the world's oil refineries risk closure by 2035 if
governments meet targets to limit fossil fuel burning in the fight
against global warming, a report released on Thursday said.
A surge in electric vehicle sales and higher efficiency in internal
combustion and jet engines are expected to slow demand growth for fuels
such as gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel in the coming decades,
potentially putting pressure on refining profits.
At the same time, governments around the world are set to introduce
legislation in the coming years to limit emissions of heat-capturing
carbon dioxide into the atmosphere in order to meet targets set at a
U.N-backed Paris conference in 2015.
As a result, companies such as Chevron, Royal Dutch Shell, France' Total
and China's largest refiner Sinopec could see profits from refining drop
by 70 percent or more over the period, according to the report
co-authored by environment thinktank Carbon Tracker, Swedish investment
fund AP7 and Danish pension fund PKA.
The study is based on the International Energy Agency's 450 Scenario to
limit global warming to 2 degrees Celsius under which oil demand
declines by 23 percent between 2020 and 2035.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/11/01/business/01reuters-climatechange-refining.html?_r=0

Carbon Tracker Reports:
*Margin call: Refining Capacity in a 2 degrees C world
<https://www.carbontracker.org/reports/margin-call-refining-capacity-2-degree-world/>*
What does a 2 degrees C scenario mean for future refining capacity?
In this paper, we look at how a scenario for oil demand that is
compliant with limiting the rise in global warming by 2035 to 2 degrees
C (a "2D" scenario) might affect the oil industry's refining assets. The
IEA's 450 Scenario is used as the basis of 2D demand, under which oil
demand peaks in 2020 and declines at 1.3% p.a. thereafter. This follows
on from our recent analysis '2 Degrees of Separation' which focused on
the upstream activities of the sector.
At the simplest level:
*lower oil volume = less refining capacity = smaller margins**
**Less volume = fewer refineries needed*
Under a 2D scenario, global oil demand could decline by 23% over a 15
year period. Historically, falling or weak demand has often been
accompanied by weak refining margins. With demand falling, refinery
output would need to fall commensurately. Market forces would drive
margins down in order to force the least competitive refiners out of the
market. Accordingly, under a 2D scenario, the industry is likely to see
major rationalisation with many players exiting the market rather than
haemorrhaging cash. Our analysis implies rationalisation equivalent to
25% of 2016 capacity.
*Margins suffer across the board*
To drive this rationalisation, we estimate that a sustained refinery
margin contraction of the order of $3.50/barrel by 2035 would be
necessary. This compares to a global composite margin in 2016 of
$5.00/bbl. We consider this estimate to be conservative. For example,
BP's history of global refining margins since 1990 shows an annual
standard deviation of nearly $5/barrel. Past periods of weak demand have
led to higher declines in margins. For example, in 2008 US demand fell
by 5%: BP's US indicator margin fell by over $6/barrel. [1]
*Earnings fall*
The combination of reduced refining throughputs and the consequent fall
in margins could have profound implications for the industry. We
estimate that EBITDA for the refineries we have analysed (94% of 2015
global capacity) could fall by over 50% by 2035 from an estimated $147bn
in 2015. There is likely to be a fall in valuations of refinery assets
of a similar order although the impact will be disproportionate. Complex
refineries, which tend to have higher margins, are likely to suffer
least; simple, low quality assets could become worthless.
*Transport fuel most profitable but most at risk*
Diesel, gasoline and jet fuel products offer the highest margins across
the product mix from refineries, and they also constitute around 70% of
global product yield. As covered in our previous research 'Expect the
unexpected' the rate of technological change in road transport may
surprise the industry and erode demand for these fuels faster than
currently anticipated.
*OECD capacity hit hardest*
Under a 2D scenario the existing refinery stock is already sufficient to
meet future demand; no new refinery capacity needs to be added globally.
However, differences in regional demand trends may mean that new
capacity is needed in areas such as the Middle East and Asia. Some
countries may add new unprofitable capacity for strategic reasons such
as security of supply. As a result, mature regions, predominantly within
the OECD, are likely to need larger cuts than the global demand trend
might imply. Were this to occur, the eventual reduction in capacity
needed to balance the market would be that much greater. In such a
market, refining margins would most likely be lower than would be the
case in a rational market....
https://www.carbontracker.org/reports/margin-call-refining-capacity-2-degree-world/

*Trump campaign aide Clovis withdraws from consideration for USDA job
<https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/02/trump-campaign-aide-clovis-withdraws-from-consideration-for-usda-job-244458>*
Former Trump campaign aide Sam Clovis has withdrawn from consideration
to be the Department of Agriculture's chief scientist, according to a
letter Clovis sent on Wednesday to President Donald Trump.
Clovis has come under criticism recently for his lack of science
credentials and for his role supervising George Papadopoulos, a Trump
campaign foreign policy adviser who struck a plea deal on charges he
lied to FBI investigators about his communications with Russia-linked
contacts.
"The political climate inside Washington has made it impossible for me
to receive balanced and fair consideration for this position," Clovis
wrote. "The relentless assaults on you and your team seem to be a blood
sport that only increases in intensity each day."
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/02/trump-campaign-aide-clovis-withdraws-from-consideration-for-usda-job-244458

*
****Sustainable finance: Can socially responsible investing mitigate
climate change?
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/laurie-macfarlane/sustainable-finance-can-socially-responsible-investing-mitigate-climate-change>*
...Climate change may ultimately be a crisis of the capitalist system.
The naturally omnipotent financial structures that have, without grace,
risen to the top of such a system have been fuelled by one source:
investment. But as far as the crisis of climate goes, we are in too deep
and we have not enough time to shift our political or financial
paradigm. If we are to pivot on our path in time to make a real
difference, great and global in scale, we must harness the forces that
drive our markets today. In this, socially responsible investment
practices are a crucial tool in bringing our financial system in line
with our own social goals. Together, allocation of capital and changing
public attitude could be highly influential in our fight to mitigate
climate change....
More recently, socially responsible investing, known as SRI, has taken a
strong hold. At COP21 auxiliary events, the number of investment firms
advocating this strategy, and those encompassed by the term under
different names - such as green or sustainable investment - astonished
me: socially responsible investment is growing and here to stay..
The power of SRI lies in the way it combines disinvestment (divestment)
with the next, crucial step: reinvestment. Managers are not sending
money directly to companies when they buy up shares (unless it is an
initial public offering (IPO)). ...
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/laurie-macfarlane/sustainable-finance-can-socially-responsible-investing-mitigate-climate-change

*The Climate Post: Ahead of Bonn Talks, Study Says Paris Agreement May
Fall Short
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-climate-post-ahead-of-bonn-talks-study-says-paris_us_59fb7782e4b01ec0dede4092>*
As the United Nations prepares to welcome delegates from across the
world to Bonn, Germany, on Monday for the annual Conference of Parties
meeting (COP23), the U.N. Environment Program (UNEP) has released its
yearly "Emissions Gap" report indicating a disparity between the world's
stated ambitions on climate in the Paris Agreement and what actions are
actually needed.
The report indicates the present national pledges under the agreement
are only one third of the reduction in emissions required by 2030 to
meet targets, which aim to limit global warming to well below 2 degrees
Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit that
increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius. The pledges by countries, it says,
would lead to temperature rises of as much as 3 degrees Celsius or more
by the end of this century, but it would make the chance of getting to 4
degrees Celsius or more of warming considerably smaller.
Although the gap between commitments could be large, the report suggests
that it is still possible to close it in a cost-effective way. A large
portion of reductions come from six specific efforts: solar energy; wind
energy; efficient appliances; efficient passenger cars; aforestation;
and stopping deforestation.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-climate-post-ahead-of-bonn-talks-study-says-paris_us_59fb7782e4b01ec0dede4092

*Degrowth as an Aesthetics of Existence: Part 2
<http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-11-02/degrowth-as-an-aesthetics-of-existence-part-2/>*
By Samuel Alexander on Nov 02, 2017 03:09 am
If it turns out, however, that neither art nor science can provoke the
transformations needed to avoid the looming apocalypse, then the role of
the artist will only magnify further, as creative imaginations are
tasked with interpreting and understanding civilizational descent in
terms that give meaning to the inevitability of suffering; give sense to
the pain we will feel (perhaps are already feeling) as global capitalism
dies its inevitable death...
Ed note: this is Part 2 of the Introduction to Samuel Alexanders' new
book /Art Against Empire: Toward an Aesthetics of Degrowth
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/0994160690/ref=cm_sw_su_dp>. Part 1 of the
essay can be found on Resilience.orghere
<http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-11-01/degrowth-as-an-aesthetics-of-existence-part-1/>.
This essay was also published as a Melbourne Sustainable Society
monograph in .pdf formathere
<http://d2hqr0jocqnenz.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/utNz-IulFkNTwW6i5TBfnJxYCejyn0Teo_SnIpRxUmM/mtime:1508818942/sites/default/files/docs/MSSI-Monograph-Aesthetics_of_Existence_2017.pdf>./
...If it turns out, however, that neither art nor science can provoke
the transformations needed to avoid the looming apocalypse, then the
role of the artist will only magnify further, as creative imaginations
are tasked with interpreting and understanding civilizational descent in
terms that give meaning to the inevitability of suffering; give sense to
the pain we will feel (perhaps are already feeling) as global capitalism
dies its inevitable death. At that stage, the therapeutic or even
spiritual role of art will take precedence over its political function,
a transition anticipated already by the Dark Mountain (2017) movement.
The very term 'apocalypse' has a dual meaning, not simply referring to
the 'end of the world' but also signifying 'a great unveiling or
disclosure' of knowledge. It will be the artist, not the scientist, I
contend, who will contribute most to the human understanding of such a
disclosure when, or if, it arrives. Rather than wallow helplessly as
civilisation descends into barbarism, let us hope that our artists,
novelists, poets, and filmmakers, are up to the task of weaving
narratives of human and ecological suffering into a meaningful web of
solidarity and compassion-and thereby, perhaps, give birth to a new
golden age of Grecian tragedy that offers both an education and
cleansing of the emotions and passions in these turbulent times
(Aristotle 1997).
Perhaps that is the new dawn that lies beyond this dark hour.
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-11-02/degrowth-as-an-aesthetics-of-existence-part-2/

*This Day in Climate History November 3, 2012
<http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2012/11/chris-hayes-whats-at-stake-with-climate.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/03/opinion/safina-sandy-said-the-words/?c=&page=0
On MSNBC's "Up," Chris Hayes lays out the moral case for action on
climate change.
Carbon emissions are trapping extra energy in our atmosphere, and with
extra energy come more extremes: higher sea levels, dryer droughts,
hotter heat waves, and heavier, wetter storms.
We need a crash program in this country right now to re-engineer the
nation's infrastructure to cope with and prepare for the climate
disruptions that we have already ensured with the carbon we've already
put into the atmosphere, as well as an immediate, aggressive
transformation of our energy production, economy and society to reduce
the amount of carbon we'll put into the atmosphere in the future.
This is as fundamental, as elemental as human endeavors get. The story
of civilization is the long tale of crusaders for order battling the
unceasing reality of chaos. And it is a kind of miracle that we have
succeeded as much as we have, that airplanes fly through the air, and
roads plunge beneath the water and the entire teeming latticework of
human life exists in the manifold improbable places it does. But it is
the grand irony that in imposing this improbable order on the world,
we've released millions of years of stored up carbon into the
atmosphere, which is now altering the climate and threatening the very
monuments of civilization that we so cherish.
We absolutely have it within us, collectively, to beat back the forces
of chaos once again. But we must choose to do so. And the time for
choosing is now. You are either on the side of your fellow citizens and
residents of this planet, or you are on the side of the storms as yet
unnamed.
You cannot be neutral.
Which side are you on?
http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/11/03/whats-at-stake-with-climate-change/
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/up/49672392#49672392
http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2012/11/chris-hayes-whats-at-stake-with-climate.html
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that