[TheClimate.Vote] November 25, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 25 09:16:34 EST 2017

/November 25, 2017
/
*(NY Times) **Censoring Climate Change
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/censoring-climate-change.html>*
The Trump administration is making it harder to find government
information about climate change on the web. If you searched Google for
the words "climate change" a little over six months ago, one of the
first hits would have been the Environmental Protection Agency's website.
But that was before April 28, when the agency began systematically
dismantling
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/04/28/epa-website-removes-climate-science-site-from-public-view-after-two-decades/?utm_term=.25c5f80ae588>
its climate change website, which had survived Democratic and Republican
administrations and was a leading source of information
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/i-worked-on-the-epas-climate-change-website-its-removal-is-a-declaration-of-war/2017/06/22/735f0858-5697-11e7-a204-ad706461fa4f_story.html?utm_term=.baae3ef8f729>
on a global problem that the president, as a candidate, labeled "a hoax."
If you search those words today, a link to the E.P.A. site may not
appear until the second or third search results page, and sometimes not
even then, depending on your browser settings. The site has fallen in
Google's search results because its address, or URL, no longer directs
you to the climate change site or a related page. If you click that
link, you'll be redirected to a notice page
<https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/signpost/cc.html> that says,
"We are currently updating our website to reflect E.P.A.'s priorities
under the leadership" of President Trump and Scott Pruitt, the agency's
administrator. That page, in turn, contains a link to an archived
version <https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climatechange_.html> of
the E.P.A.'s website....
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/censoring-climate-change.html

*A growing number of young Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/a-growing-number-of-young-americans-are-leaving-desk-jobs-to-farm/2017/11/23/e3c018ae-c64e-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html>*
Caitlin Dewey November 23
Liz Whitehurst dabbled in several careers before she ended up here,
crating fistfuls of fresh-cut arugula in the early-November chill.
The hours were better at her nonprofit jobs. So were the benefits. But
two years ago, the 32-year-old Whitehurst - who graduated from a liberal
arts college and grew up in the Chicago suburbs - abandoned Washington
for this three-acre farm in Upper Marlboro, Md.
She joined a growing movement of highly educated, ex-urban, first-time
farmers who are capitalizing on booming consumer demand for local and
sustainable foods and who, experts say, could have a broad impact on the
food system.
For only the second time in the last century, the number of farmers
under 35 years old is increasing, according to the U.S. Department of
Agriculture's latest Census of Agriculture. Sixty-nine percent of the
surveyed young farmers had college degrees - significantly higher than
the general population.
This new generation can't hope to replace the numbers that farming is
losing to age. But it is already contributing to the growth of the
local-food movement and could help preserve the place of midsize farms
in the rural landscape.
"We're going to see a sea change in American agriculture as the next
generation gets on the land," said Kathleen Merrigan, the head of the
Food Institute at George Washington University and a deputy secretary at
the Department of Agriculture under President Barack Obama. "The only
question is whether they'll get on the land, given the challenges."
The number of farmers age 25 to 34 grew 2.2 percent between 2007 and
2012, according to the 2014 USDA census, a period when other groups of
farmers - save the oldest - shrunk by double digits. In some states,
such as California, Nebraska and South Dakota, the number of beginning
farmers has grown by 20 percent or more.
A survey conducted by the National Young Farmers Coalition, an advocacy
group, with Merrigan's help shows that the majority of young farmers did
not grow up in agricultural families.
They are also far more likely than the general farming population to
grow organically, limit pesticide and fertilizer use, diversify their
crops or animals, and be deeply involved in their local food systems via
community supported agriculture (CSA) programs and farmers markets....
"I get calls all the time from farmers - some of the largest farmers in
the country - asking me when the local and organic fads will be over,"
said Eve Turow Paul, a consultant who advises farms and food companies
on millennial preferences. "It's my pleasure to tell them: Look at this
generation. Get on board or go out of business."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/a-growing-number-of-young-americans-are-leaving-desk-jobs-to-farm/2017/11/23/e3c018ae-c64e-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html

*(audio, text) New Study Argues For More Precise Timing Of Fishing
Seasons
<http://kuow.org/post/new-study-argues-more-precise-timing-fishing-seasons>*
By Deborah Wang
People who catch fish for sport or for a living often eagerly await the
day when fishing season opens. But a new study from the University of
Washington argues the timing of fishing seasons needs to be reevaluated,
especially in light of climate change.
For spawning salmon, timing is everything. The fish have a precise
internal clock. They have a better chance of surviving the gauntlet of
fishermen if they return either before fishing season starts or after it
ends.
"So the very first fish are safe, we whack the fish in the middle of the
run and we don't bother to fish at the end because there are too few
fish to bother with," UW Fisheries Professor Thomas Quinn said.
He's looking more closely at the timing of fishing season because he
said it can actually affect the diversity of the population.
"We have essentially favored the very earliest and the latest fish and
tearing the heart out of the middle of the population which might
actually be the most productive part," Quinn said.
And now that climate change is bringing about warmer water temperatures,
Quinn said timing matters more than ever to give fish a better chance of
survival. .
He said scientists will need to do more research and share their
findings before they can make specific recommendations on how to retime
the seasons.
*Selection on the timing of migration and breeding: A neglected aspect
of fishing-induced evolution and trait change
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320190461_Selection_on_the_timing_of_migration_and_breeding_A_neglected_aspect_of_fishing-induced_evolution_and_trait_change>*
Michael Tillotson, Thomas P Quinn

    Abstract
    Fishing can drive changes in important phenotypic traits through
    plastic and evolutionary pathways. Size-selective harvest is a
    primary driver of such trait change, has received much attention in
    the literature and is now commonly considered in fisheries
    management. The potential for selection on behavioural traits has
    received less study, but mounting evidence suggests that aggression,
    foraging behaviour and linked traits can also be affected by
    fishing. An important phenomenon that has received much less
    attention is selection on reproductive phenology (i.e., the timing
    of breeding). The potential for this type of "temporal selection" is
    widespread because there is often substantial variability in
    reproductive phenology within fish populations, and fisheries
    management strategies or fishermen's behaviours can cause fishing
    effort to vary greatly over time. For example, seasonal closures may
    expose only early or late breeding individuals to harvest as
    observed in a range of marine and freshwater fisheries. Such
    selection may induce evolutionary responses in phenological traits,
    but can also have demographic impacts such as shortened breeding
    seasons and reduced phenotypic diversity. These changes can in turn
    influence productivity, reduce the efficacy of management,
    exacerbate ongoing climate-driven changes in phenology and reduce
    resilience to environmental change. In this essay, we describe how
    fisheries management can cause temporal variability in harvest, and
    describe the types of selection on temporal traits that can result.
    We then summarize the likely biological consequences of temporally
    selective fishing on populations and population complexes and
    conclude by identifying areas for future research.

Selection on the timing of migration and breeding: A neglected aspect of
fishing-induced evolution and trait change. Available from:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320190461_Selection_on_the_timing_of_migration_and_breeding_A_neglected_aspect_of_fishing-induced_evolution_and_trait_change

*(book publisher release) *A new book***"The Archipelago of Hope: Wisdom
& Resilience from the Edge of Climate Change
<http://archipelagohope.com/>**" *is on sale now
<http://archipelagohope.com/order-book/>.
The book is receiving positive reviews (Kirikus
<https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/gleb-raygorodetsky/the-archipelago-of-hope/>,
NSPR's Blue Dot
<http://mynspr.org/post/blue-dot-76-archipelago-hope#stream/0>, WNYC
<http://www.wnyc.org/story/archipelago-hope-indigenous-peoples-confront-climate-change/>,
BlueDot <http://mynspr.org/post/blue-dot-76-archipelago-hope#stream/0>,
Cultural Survival
<https://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/archipelago-hope-wisdom-and-resilience-edge-climate-change>,
Revelator <http://therevelator.org/indigenous-wisdom-climate-change/>,
Bioneers
<http://www.bioneers.org/worldwide-experience-indigenous-communities-climate-change-ze0z1711/>,
and The Tyee
<https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2017/11/15/Lessons-Hope-Resilience-Tlaoquiaht/>),
some excerpts appeared on the pages of Earth Island Journal
<http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/eij/article/pachamamas_blood/> and
National Geographic
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/10/nenets-yamal-herders-energy-development/>.

If you find the book and the stories compelling, please share the
Archipelago of Hope messages through your networks and post your
thoughts and feedback on the Amazon.ca <http://amzn.to/2hPJDJy>, Amazon.
com <http://amzn.to/2A1w0eZ> , or Goodreards <http://bit.ly/2AYS3Sr>.
*BOOK DESCRIPTION:*
An enlightening global journey reveals the inextricable links between
Indigenous cultures and their lands-and how it can form the foundation
for climate change resilience around the world.
One cannot turn on the news today without a report on an extreme weather
event or the latest update on Antarctica. But while our politicians
argue, the truth is that climate change is already here. Nobody knows
this better than Indigenous peoples who, having developed an intimate
relationship with ecosystems over generations, have observed these
changes for decades. For them, climate change is not an abstract concept
or policy issue, but the reality of daily life. After two decades of
working with indigenous communities, Gleb Raygorodetsky shows how these
communities are actually islands of biological and cultural diversity in
the ever-rising sea of development and urbanization. They are an
"archipelago of hope" as we enter the Anthropocene, for here lies
humankind's best chance to remember our roots and how to take care of
the Earth. These communities are implementing creative solutions to meet
these modern challenges. Solutions that are relevant to the rest of us.
We meet the Skolt Sami of Finland, the Nenets and Altai of Russia, the
Sapara of Ecuador, the Karen of Myanmar, and the Tla-o-qui-aht of
Canada. Intimate portraits of these men and women, youth and elders,
emerge against the backdrop of their traditional practices on land and
water. Though there are brutal realties?pollution, corruption, forced
assimilation-Raygorodetsky's prose resonates with the positive, the
adaptive, the spiritual-and hope.
_*REVIEWS: http://archipelagohope.com/kudos/*_
Indigenous people around the world are the only ones with a track record
of living in relative balance with their surroundings for thousands of
years. There was never a more important time in human history for their
perspective and wisdom. The Archipelago of Hope is extremely timely and
informative as we confront the reality that the growth imperative of the
technologically-driven global economy must be abandoned as we embrace
the health of Mother Nature as the source of our survival and health. -
David Suzuki, winner of the UNESCO Kalinga Prize for Science and the
United Nations Environmental Medal
As this fine book shows, indigenous communities and lands have been
among the places hardest hit by climate change-so it should come as no
surprise that around the world indigenous people have been in the
absolute forefront of a fight for a liveable planet. I take real comfort
from the fact that the oldest wisdom traditions on the planet and the
newest are on the same page, that scientists and shamans are telling
much the same story. Now it's time for the rest of us to pay some
attention. - Bill McKibben, author of DEEP *ECONOMY*
With a storyteller's gift, Raygorodetsky recounts visits with indigenous
peoples from the Arctic to the Amazon, Southeast Asia to Canada, noting
that the people who have had the least impact on the earth are suffering
the most from human-accelerated climate changes. Raygorodetsky hopes
that we can learn from their ways of living in sync with nature and
forge more intelligent and compassionate public policies. - Booklist
Filled with admiration for those at the center of his study,
Raygorodetsky delivers a valuable addition for all environmental
collections and readers interested in cultural studies and international
relations. - Library Journal (starred)
An encouraging exploration of how ancestral wisdom and political savvy
have led to positive environmental policies. - Kirkus Reviews
Few writers, anywhere in the world, know and understand the complex
relationship indigenous people have with climate as well and deeply as
Gleb Raygorodetsky. I am so gratified, and they should be as well, that
he has finally put his knowledge and wisdom in one concise and
ever-so-readable document. - Mark Dowie, author of CONSERVATION *REFUGEES*
There is no better time then now for the world to learn from this
important work by Gleb Raygorodetsky as he respectfully allows the
Indigenous voices, those most impacted by climate change, to shine
through in his writing. - Sheila Watt Cloutier, Nobel Peace Prize
nominee, author of THE RIGHT TO BE COLD
The Archipelago of Hope is at once a clarion call for action and an
inspirational compendium of steps that indigenous peoples around the
world are taking to address the world's changing climate. We have much
to learn from the peoples whom Gleb Raygorodetsky has met and his
elegant, evocative writing will immerse the reader in the places and
experiences of those peoples. - Eleanor Sterling, American Museum of
Natural History
There could be no more accurate or prescient way to see our climatic
future than through the eyes of Indigenous culture, people whose
survival depends directly on the intimacy with which they interact with
living systems. In Archipelago, longtime inhabitants of earth give us
their eyes and ears, and we, who can be dumbfounded by an overwhelming
onslaught of information, find a precious wisdom that is bestowed to
those who patiently abide in the life of the world. - Paul Hawken, New
York Times bestselling author of "Blessed Unrest"
*Exciting and hugely important.* Raygorodetsky listens to the voices of
those who are so often unheard and overlooked: the world's indigenous
peoples. These people are also in possession of deep knowledge that will
be needed for us to heal ourselves and the planet. Archipelago of Hope
will be an important resource in the tumultuous years ahead. - Scott
Wallace, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author of THE UNCONQUERED: In Search
of the Amazon's Last Uncontacted Tribe and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC contributor
When Indigenous Peoples meet one another for the first time it's as if
we've always known each other. Gleb's powerful and knowledgeable book
captures that essence and the intimate ties we have to our Mother Earth.
This book is like reading my own ancestry. We say that 'all things are
connected' and these stories show us how related we all are. - Patricia
Cochrane, Inupiat Eskimo, Executive Director Alaska Native Science
Commission
This finite blue-green planet creaks under growing pressure. Solutions
must come from within: we will all need to find ways of living with a
light touch on the planet, and yet at the same time, bring well-being
and contentment. This fine book develops a much-needed narrative of
hope. We should listen and learn. - Dr. Jules Pretty, University of Essex
The Archipelago of Hope shares important stories and sophisticated
biocultural strategies. I highly recommend this inspiring book, with
warm, loving photographs and many other resources, to lead us to a
better appreciation of the rich biocultural diversity of our shared
world, and a more inclusive and humble approach to stewarding it through
these times and into the future.  - Dr. Rajindra K. Puri, University of Kent

*More harm than good with climate geo-engineering
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/23484-2/>*
November 24, 2017, by Tim Radford
Geo-engineering might be possible – but so far it doesn't look
practical. Yet another study sees dangers in the technofix.
LONDON, 24 November, 2017 – Geo-engineering – the untested technofix
that would permit the continued use of fossil fuels – could create more
problems than it could solve.
By masking sunlight with injections of sulphate aerosols in the
stratosphere, nations could perhaps suppress some of the devastating
hurricanes and typhoons that in a rapidly warming world threaten
northern hemisphere cities. But they could also scorch the Sahel region
of Africa, to threaten millions of lives and livelihoods, according to
new research.
Geo-engineering is sometimes played as humanity's
have-your-cake-and-eat-it option: humans have already unthinkingly
engineered climate change over the last 200 years by profligate
combustion of coal, oil and gas that releases ever-growing
concentrations of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Since ferocious volcanic eruptions have been known to cool the global
climate by pumping soot and sulphur dioxide into the upper atmosphere,
some reason that scientists and technologists could play the same card,
in a calculated fashion.
"Our results confirm that regional solar geo-engineering is a highly
risky strategy which could simultaneously benefit one region to the
detriment of another," said Anthony Jones, a climate scientist at the
University of Exeter, UK, who led the study.
"It is vital that policymakers take solar geo-engineering seriously and
act swiftly to install effective regulation."
Since then, researchers the world over have repeatedly looked at the
geo-engineering option
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/reducing-sunlight-will-not-cool-earth/>,
and repeatedly conceded that the ideal answer would be to stop burning
fossil fuels.
http://climatenewsnetwork.net/23484-2/

*Effect of Trump's attempts to end U.S. climate-change efforts: Twitter
poll results
<https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113967_effect-of-trumps-attempts-to-end-u-s-climate-change-efforts-twitter-poll-results>*
John Voelcker Nov 24, 2017
By now it's clear that the Trump Administration is doing everything it
can to end U.S. government efforts to address climate change.
Climate-science deniers sit in powerful government positions, language
on climate change has been eradicated from websites, and the U.S. is now
the sole nation in the world that plans to withdraw from the Paris
Climate Treaty signed by President Obama in late 2016...
If nothing else, the administration's efforts have provoked a furious
backlash by several powerful states, which jointly presented their own
platforms for adhering to the Paris reduction goals at a recent climate
conference in Germany-overshadowing the official U.S. government delegation.
That delegation...is the same one that was booed for its presentation on
the importance of continued to use of fossil fuels.
We polled our Twitter followers on the long-term effects of these
remarkable and audacious efforts by the U.S. government to ignore the
accepted scientific consensus and fly in the face of global
carbon-reduction efforts.
     - https://twitter.com/GreenCarReports/status/930458598202859520
As it turned out, a major of poll respondents said the effects of the
administration's work to roll back climate efforts wouldn't be germane
to the overall global fight.
About two-thirds felt those efforts wouldn't make a difference over the
long run, but the remainder expressed support for the notion that they
could cause long-term damage.
A total of 66 percent felt the Trump team's efforts were either
"fighting the tide" (32 percent) or "irrelevant" (34 percent) over the
long term.
But a quarter of participants (23 percent) felt the administrations
efforts would "boost climate change" and another 11 percent felt they
"may have some effect."..
More importantly, it's been fully 10 years since the U.S. Supreme Court
said the EPA not only could but must address emissions of carbon dioxide
as a pollutant.
Now, government watchdog agencies are starting to question the efforts
to ignore climate change.
https://twitter.com/GreenCarReports/status/930458598202859520
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113967_effect-of-trumps-attempts-to-end-u-s-climate-change-efforts-twitter-poll-results

*
**Combating Climate Change? Combat Land Degradation, Says UNCCD Chief*
<https://reliefweb.int/report/world/combating-climate-change-combat-land-degradation-says-unccd-chief>
BONN, Germany, Nov 24 2017 (IPS) - Land restoration is not a "glamorous
subject even when you give all the numbers," admits Monique Barbut, the
Executive Secretary of United Nations Convention to Combat
Desertification UNCCD). But she also stresses that by 2050, the world
population will reach 10 billion. To feed that extra 2.4 billion,
current food production would need to be increased by 75 percent...
According to Barbut, climate change's effects on land are becoming more
and more of a global problem, with major social and political
consequences. She mentions the recent droughts witnessed by France,
Canada and successive droughts in the US, and also points out the recent
exodus of people from drought and desertification in the global south.
"If you see all the migrants coming to Europe, 100 percent of them – not
90 percent but 100 percent – are coming from drylands. There are also
migration and radicalism linked to land degradation and desertification.
For example, in the drylands of Africa, where desertification is
happening, we are seeing food riots and then we are seeing Al Qaeda,"
she says, pointing to a study published by UNCCD that explores these links.
Citing another study by the British Government's Defence Ministry,
Barbut says that "by 2045, there will be 130 million people who migrated
because of desertification, and out of them, 60 million will come from
south of the Sahel and Africa."
But all is not hopeless. Barbut shared her vision of a food-secure
future and a clear way to achieve that goal: "By 2050, we will need
millions of hectares of new lands to grow 75 percent extra food. Today
we are taking new land from forests and wetlands. At the same time, on
this planet, you have 2 billion hectares of degraded land. Among this,
500 million are abandoned agricultural land. If we restored 300 million
of these 2 billion hectares of land, we can ensure food security for all
by 2050."
http://www.ipsnews.net/2017/11/combating-climate-change-combat-land-degradation-says-unccd-chief/

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/combating-climate-change-combat-land-degradation-says-unccd-chief

Climate State
*(video) Ice Apocalypse - MULTIPLE METERS SEA LEVEL RISE
<https://youtu.be/Pp5kK0Td-Vc>*
Published on Nov 23, 2017
Rapid collapse of Antarctic glaciers could flood coastal cities by the
end of this century. Based on an article written by Eric Holthaus. Read
the full story Ice  Apocalypse
<https://grist.org/article/antarctica-doomsday-glaciers-could-flood-coastal-cities/>https://grist.org/article/antarctica-doomsday-glaciers-could-flood-coastal-cities/
https://youtu.be/Pp5kK0Td-Vc

*Meadows beat out shrubs when it comes to storing carbon
<https://phys.org/news/2017-11-meadows-shrubs-carbon.html>*
Different vegetation types, different storage
Sorensen compared three types of vegetation that are typical of the
Norwegian mountains:
Shrubs (willows)
Heath (crowberry and heather)
Meadow
"I wanted to figure out how much carbon these three vegetation types
store and release. My hypothesis was that shrubs store more carbon than
heath and meadow vegetation because shrubs have more biomass, and thus
have higher rates of photosynthesis," she said.
But it turned out to be the opposite: Shrubs, even though they are
tallest, actually store the least carbon.
"It surprised me that meadows actually store a lot more carbon than
shrubs. The carbon in meadows is stored mostly below the ground, next to
the roots," she said
The amount of carbon stored in heath vegetation is greater than in shrub
vegetation, but less than in meadows, she said.
One unusual characteristic of heath vegetation is that it can
photosynthesize during the winter, under the snow, because it is
evergreen and typically grows in areas with little snow. That means
sunlight is able to reach these plants during the winter.
Sorensen will also investigate why meadow vegetation stores much more
CO2 than shrub vegetation.
"Our hypothesis is that it is related to what is happening underground,
such as how the roots grow. It may also be related to mycorrhizae, which
are fungi that grow in a symbiotic association with plant roots and that
can have an effect on carbon emissions. Mycorrhizae are found in both
shrubs and in heaths, but not so much in meadow vegetation," Sorensen said.
https://phys.org/news/2017-11-meadows-shrubs-carbon.html

*HOW GREED, FEAR AND OUR OWN BIASES BLIND US TO THE REALITIES OF CLIMATE
CHANGE...
<http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/how_greed_fear_and_our_own_biases_blind_us_to_the_realities_of_climate_change>*
November 23, 2017
By the time climate change is no longer a long-term threat, it will be
too late...
The Climate Science Special Report that the Trump administration
released last Friday is straightforward and relentlessly sobering.
Scientists from 13 government agencies agree that the long-term global
warming trend is "unambiguous" and that human activity is responsible.
There is, they tell us, "no convincing alternative explanation."
Meanwhile, the president whose administration released the report
maintains that climate change is a hoax and he and his EPA
administrator, Scott Pruitt, resist efforts to address it.
What's going on? How is this possible? Short-term economic self-interest
(i.e., greed) is the driver for the energy industry, its supporters and
their propaganda. But it's the psychological factors, and the biology in
which they're grounded, that sustain denial. If we're going to mobilize
Americans to address climate change, we first have to understand what
they're thinking and why, and then help them change their minds....
It's important, also, to continue to memorialize the selfless efforts of
neighbors helping neighbors during and after the storms and fires, as
well as the stories of distant Americans' generosity. Seeing compassion
in action will maximize activity in the parts of our brains that
encourage fellow feeling. As they see and feel how satisfying it is to
care for one another, even the most resistant climate deniers may want
to join the rest of us in caring for the planet that sustains us all.
http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/how_greed_fear_and_our_own_biases_blind_us_to_the_realities_of_climate_change

(video) Talks at Google
*Zaria Forman: "Stillness and Momentum: Communicating Climate Change
Through Art" <https://youtu.be/ay-m6EIxFzU>*
Published on Nov 9, 2017
Every day we are forced to reckon with the looming issue of climate
change, one that has become not simply an environmental issue, but a
profoundly personal one as well. I believe that art has the ability to
establish a personal connection to abstract concepts. Through my
large-scale drawings of icebergs I seek to convey the beauty of these
forgotten and rapidly changing landscapes while also imparting the
urgency of the climate crisis. My travels with NASA and my own mother's
love of polar regions has instilled in me a deep respect for these
monoliths of ancient ice that are melting at a rate much faster than
they are growing. Through my drawings and a devotion to the positive
rather than the negative, I hope to translate their awe-inspiring beauty
to those who cannot experience them firsthand, so that they will be
driven to protect them.
Zaria Forman was born in South Natick, Massachusetts and currently works
and resides in Brooklyn, New York. She studied at the Studio Art Centers
International in Florence, Italy and received a BS in Studio Arts at
Skidmore College in New York. Her works have been in publications such
as Juxtapoz Magazine, National Geographic Proof Blog, Huffington Post,
and the Smithsonian Magazine. Zaria was featured on CNN, the Wall Street
Journal and interviewed by Lucy Yang on ABC7 Eyewitness News. Zaria
exhibited in Banksy's Dismaland, delivered a TEDTalk at the Town Hall
Theater in NYC that is featured on TED.com, travelled aboard the
National Geographic Explorer as the artist-in-residence for four weeks
in Antarctica, and flew over the polar regions with NASA's Operation
IceBridge.
https://youtu.be/ay-m6EIxFzU

*This Day in Climate History November 25, 2006
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401361_pf.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
November 25, 2006: The Washington Post reports:
"While the political debate over global warming continues, top
executives at many of the nation's largest energy companies have
accepted the scientific consensus about climate change and see federal
regulation to cut greenhouse gas emissions as inevitable.
"The Democratic takeover of Congress makes it more likely that the
federal government will attempt to regulate emissions. The companies
have been hiring new lobbyists who they hope can help fashion a
national approach that would avert a patchwork of state plans now in
the works. They are also working to change some company practices in
anticipation of the regulation."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401361_pf.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that