[TheClimate.Vote] November 26, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Nov 26 10:15:43 EST 2017

/November 26, 2017
/
Phys.Org
*Scientists develop artificial photosynthesis device for greener
ethylene production
<https://phys.org/news/2017-11-scientists-artificial-photosynthesis-device-greener.html>*
A team of scientists from the National University of Singapore (NUS) has
developed a prototype device that mimics natural photosynthesis to
produce ethylene gas using only sunlight, water and carbon dioxide. The
novel method, which produces ethylene at room temperature and pressure
using benign chemicals, could be scaled up to provide a more
eco-friendly and sustainable alternative to the current method of
ethylene production.
The team first designed a copper catalyst in 2015 that could generate
ethylene from readily available water and carbon dioxide when powered by
electricity. This copper catalyst was subsequently introduced into an
artificial photosynthesis system to convert carbon dioxide and water
into ethylene using only solar energy. The prototype device designed to
carry out the reaction achieved a 30 per cent faradaic efficiency of
ethylene based on the amount of electrons generated from solar energy.
The overall energy efficiency of solar-to-ethylene is also comparable to
the level of energy efficiency of natural photosynthesis by plants.
https://phys.org/news/2017-11-scientists-artificial-photosynthesis-device-greener.html

*Climate changes triggered immigration to America in the 19th century,
study finds
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171121095201.htm>*
 From Trump to Heinz, some of America's most famous family names and
brands trace their origins back to Germans who emigrated to the country
in the 19th century. Researchers have now found that climate was a major
factor in driving migration from Southwest Germany to North America
during the 19th century.
The team studied official migration statistics and population data from
the 19th century, as well as weather data, harvest figures and
cereal-price records. They focused on the region that is now the
Baden-Wurttemberg state, where many of the migrants - such as Charles
Pfizer of pharmaceutical fame - originated from. They started by
identifying the major migration waves and then investigated to what
extent climate played a role in driving people to North America during
each of them.
The first wave followed the eruption of the Tambora volcano in Indonesia
in 1815. The volcanic ash and gases spewed into the atmosphere caused
temperatures to drop around the world for a few years after the
eruption. The 'year without summer', 1816, was wet and cold causing
widespread crop failures, famine and emigration.
"Another peak-migration year, 1846, had an extremely hot and dry summer
leading to bad harvests and high food prices," says Annette Bosmeier, a
researcher at the University of Freiburg who also involved in the study.
"These two years of high migration numbers appear to be quite strongly
influenced by climate changes, while for other migration waves other
circumstances appeared to be more important," she adds.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171121095201.htm

*Damselflies in distress flee north to Britain
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/damselflies-in-distress-flee-north-to-britain-lwlgk6q7g>*
The Times
Record numbers of rare dragonflies were spotted across Britain this year
because of changing weather patterns linked to global warming. A scarlet
darter was found at Longham Lakes, in east Dorset, the first sighting in
13 years and only the eighth time that the insect had been recorded in
the UK.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/damselflies-in-distress-flee-north-to-britain-lwlgk6q7g

*George Monbiot*
*Everything Must Go <http://www.monbiot.com/2017/11/24/everything-must-go/>*
*Economic growth will destroy everything. There's no way of greening it
– we need a new system.*
By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian  November 22, 2017
Everyone wants everything - how is that going to work? The promise of
economic growth is that the poor can live like the rich and the rich can
live like the oligarchs. But already we are bursting through the
physical limits of the planet that sustains us. Climate breakdown, soil
loss, the collapse of habitats and species, the sea of plastic,
insectageddon