[TheClimate.Vote] October 8, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Oct 8 10:27:26 EDT 2017

/October 8, 2017/
*
Hurricane Nate weakens to a tropical storm after making US landfall
twice <http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/us/hurricane-nate-landfall/index.html>*
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/us/hurricane-nate-landfall/index.html*

**
Yuval Noah Harari's new book to cover global warming, God and
nationalism
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/06/sapiens-author-harari-new-book-to-cover-global-warming-god-and-nationalism>*
The historian's next book, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, will ask
'*What should we teach children today to prepare them for the world of
tomorrow?*' and promises a sweeping look at the future
"What's happening now, not just with Trump but with many other political
crises especially in the western world, is that the political system is
no longer capable of producing meaningful visions for the future, so you
see nostalgic fantasies about going back to the past," he says. "This
definitely is not going to work, because nostalgic fantasies by their
very nature don't provide us with answers to the real questions we are
facing. It's kind of a transitory phase until somebody manages to come
up with a new meaningful vision for the future. So people hold on to
these fantasies."
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/06/sapiens-author-harari-new-book-to-cover-global-warming-god-and-nationalism

*Why my company is addressing climate change
<http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/2017/10/07/Why-my-company-is-addressing-climate-change-mars-inc-Stephen-Badger/stories/201710070021>*
With a carbon footprint the size of a small country, Mars Inc. is trying
to shrink it
First, investment in operating sustainably saves money. Mars is already
capitalizing on the falling prices of renewable energy and the long-term
cost savings of clean technology. This has helped reduce the carbon
emissions of our 150 factories around the world by 25 percent. We are
using enough renewable energy to make all our M&M's. In fact, we now
purchase enough renewable energy to fuel our entire operations in five
countries and plan to make that 11 countries in 2018. All of this is
delivered at the same cost, or lower, as fossil fuel.
Second, for a company such as Mars that is dependent on agriculture, our
investments are creating a more resilient and resource-efficient supply
chain where smallholder farmers and others can thrive. By working with
our suppliers to source raw materials in a way that lowers climate risk
and creates opportunity for people, we can increase crop yields and
ensure affordable ingredient supplies, reduce our impact on natural
resources and ensure a generation of future farmers.
Finally, there are rewards for doing the right thing. It makes us a more
attractive partner to customers, governments and NGOs, and it ensures
our relevance to consumers as well as current and future Mars associates.
http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/2017/10/07/Why-my-company-is-addressing-climate-change-mars-inc-Stephen-Badger/stories/201710070021

*The reality of living with 122F temps in our major cities
<https://theconversation.com/the-reality-of-living-with-50-temperatures-in-our-major-cities-85315>*
Australia is hot. But future extreme hot weather will be worse still,
with new research predicting that Sydney and Melbourne are on course for
50 degrees C (122 degrees F) summer days by the 2040s if high greenhouse
emissions continue. That means that places such as Perth, Adelaide and
various regional towns could conceivably hit that mark even sooner.
Humans have an upper limit to heat tolerance, beyond which we suffer
heat stress and even death. Death rates do climb on extremely cold days,
but increase much more steeply on extremely hot ones. While cold weather
can be tackled with warm clothes, avoiding heat stress requires access
to fans or air conditioning, which is not always available.
We expect air conditioning to take the strain, but may not realise just
how much strain is involved. Shade temperatures of 50 degrees C (122
degrees F) that direct sunlight can raise the temperature to 60 degrees
C (140 degrees F) or 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). Bringing that back to
a comfortable 22 degrees C (71.6 degrees F) or even a warm 27 degrees C
(80.6 degrees F) is not always possible and requires a lot of energy -
putting serious strain on the electricity grid.
Electricity transmission systems are inherently vulnerable to extreme
heat. This means they can potentially fail simply due to the weather,
let alone the increased demand on the grid from power consumers.
Two key messages arise from this. The first is that Australia urgently
needs to adapt to the extra warming. Heat-wise communities (or
"heat-safe communities" in some states) - where people understand the
risks, protect themselves and look after each other - are vital to limit
harm from heat exposure. The health sector must have the resources to
respond to those who succumb. Research, training and health promotion
are central.
The second message is that nations across the world need to improve
their efforts to reduce greenhouse emissions, so as to meet the Paris
climate goal of holding global warming to 1.5 degrees C (2.7 degrees F).
https://theconversation.com/the-reality-of-living-with-50-temperatures-in-our-major-cities-85315

*(Six videos) "**Climate Finance Insights" series of interviews
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKUX_ySVm6PPc6ydec8KBJJBfnshWiw18>**",
*
produced in collaboration between the ICCG <http://www.iccgov.org/>and
Climate Policy Initiative
<http://customer43686.musvc2.net/e/t?q=3%3dLAbXN%26t%3dWV%266%3d9eUM%26w%3dZTR0X%26K1si7%3dz2PFA_zwsh_A7_Hiav_Rx_zwsh_0B34qI1BmLE4q9O1vEJ1iP9Dm.KHy_zwsh_0B%264%3d53OLu0.J5B> (CPI),
representatives of governments and financial institutions discuss
financing needs, opportunities, and trends as countries work to achieve
the goals of the Paris Agreement.
These interviews were filmed at the sixth meeting of the San Giorgio
Group
<http://customer43686.musvc2.net/e/t?q=f%3dbU8Ad%26D%3d39%26L%3dSA8c%26G%3d67hT4%26x%3dFLvsQ_JSVx_Uc_uyuR_5D_JSVx_ThfJAodR7rrJAe2GFkwG3vlT7.quE_JSVx_ThvE9_tT1r_4i%26B%3dEwvT54.qCd93cL> (SGG),
hosted by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) on May 8-9 2017.
Representatives of governments and key financial institutions actively
engaged in green, low-emissions finance gathered in Venice for frank
discussions on the most pressing policy and investment issues related to
increasing global climate action. The SGG is organized by CPI in
collaboration with the World Bank Group, China Light Power (CLP), and
the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKUX_ySVm6PPc6ydec8KBJJBfnshWiw18

*Our Changing Climate Mind-Set
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/opinion/sunday/hurricanes-climate-public-opinion.html>*
We have squandered opportunities to reduce global warming and there has
already been more suffering from climate change than we have allowed
ourselves to recognize. But we can still avert civilization-ending
catastrophe, and even achieve a modest new beginning for our species.
Yes, it is very late in the game, but at the same time far from too late.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/opinion/sunday/hurricanes-climate-public-opinion.html

*From cloud nine to climate change, here's why you should always look up
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/from-cloud-nine-to-climate-change-heres-why-you-should-always-look-up/2017/10/06/7278bf64-a459-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html>*
"Clouds are hard to model," NASA associate research scientist Kate
Marvel said. "They're the result of water vapor or ice crystals
coalescing around microscopic bits of dust, particles of smoke and sea
salt. . . . So they have a dual effect on climate. They trap the heat
from the planet and spit it back down, making things warmer, but they
also block sunlight, which is a cooling effect."
"Even small changes to the distribution of clouds with rising
temperatures could substantially diminish or enhance global warming," said
"Right now, clouds are more air conditioner than heater," Romps noted,
"but that will change as the planet warms."
"I've always felt the sky to be the most dynamic, most poetic part of
nature," Pretor-Pinney said. "So it's always struck me as a shame that
it's gotten bad press."
The society even helped identify a new class of cloud, a turbulent
formation named asperitas that was officially added this March to the
121-year-old International Cloud Atlas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/from-cloud-nine-to-climate-change-heres-why-you-should-always-look-up/2017/10/06/7278bf64-a459-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html

*Peter Ward: Climate Scientist Meets Direct Action Activists
<https://youtu.be/AjsgOWFOSgw>*
Paleontologist, Professor Peter Ward meets the Valve Turners for a deep
conversation on how scientists and activists can communicate the
existential necessity of climate action in both word and deed.
Professor Ward has long communicated how Earth's five major mass
extinctions offer a frightening window into the future we ourselves
might catalyze. His standing within the scientific community comes from
his skill in finding and interpreting what the fossils say about the
horror of each environmental cataclysm. His gifts and energy for
outreach - for communicating to the public the stark relevance of the
science - is top tier.
As valve turner Leonard Higgins has said from the get-go, "If we want
people to understand that this is an emergency, then we have to act like
it is an emergency." By turning the emergency shut-down valve of the tar
sands pipeline transiting Montana, Leonard powerfully communicated by deed.
Peter Ward was featured in the PBS Evolution series (2001) and has
appeared on NOVA Science NOW. He was also one of the scientists on
Animal Planet's Animal Armageddon (2009). According to Ward's 2007 book,
Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and
What They Can Tell Us About Our Future, all but one of the major mass
extinction events in history have been brought on by climate change.
Valve Turners in attendance were Emily Johnston, Leonard Higgins, and
Annette Klapstein.  Valve Turners Michael Foster and Ken Ward
participated via Zoom Web Conference.
Recorded 9/16/17
https://youtu.be/AjsgOWFOSgw

*(BBC audio) The Small Scottish isle leading the world in electricity
<http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170329-the-extraordinary-electricity-of-the-scottish-island-of-eigg>*
Some 1.3 billion people lack regular access to electricity. With its
reliable independent grid powered by wind, water and solar, a remote
Scottish island could hold the key to a solution.
When I arrive, the island's tearoom by the pier is busy with visiting
researchers.
Eigg is powered by three renewable sources - hydro, wind and solar -
integrated into a stable, high-voltage underground grid. The system's
designer John Booth, who is the former director of its operator Eigg
Electric, took me out to see how the system works. On a cliff below the
1,289ft (390m) peak of An Sgurr, four wind turbines feed up to 24 kW of
energy into the grid. Although the turbines' blades are whirring, when I
visit they are offering only about half of that: an indication of the
importance of the system's integration of three renewables.
Further north - uphill from Glebe Barn, the island's youth hostel -
photovoltaic panels face south, angled at 30 degrees to catch any
sunlight that might break through the clouds. "On average, over the
year, they provide about 9.5% of their rated output," Booth says. (The
solar panels have a 50kW capacity). "So if you use these as the source
of your electricity over the year, you'd be dead disappointed."
Erecting solar panels in Scotland may seem like folly. But in the summer
- thanks to the long hours of daylight that benefit Eigg's far-north
location - the panels do the heavy lifting. "These really come into
their own in the months of May, June and July, when we get the really
bright long days. They will give you over 25% of their rated output,"
Booth says. (When you take into account periods of darkness, that is
almost the maximum possible to get in those months). "And that is when
we tend not to have much wind and not much rain. The set-up that we've
got now will carry the island all day and put charge into the batteries
for the evening."
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170329-the-extraordinary-electricity-of-the-scottish-island-of-eigg

*This Day in Climate History October 8, 1979
<http://people.com/archive/co2-could-change-our-climate-and-flood-the-earth-up-to-here-vol-12-no-15/>
   -  from D.R. Tucker*
October 8, 1979: People Magazine reports on growing concerns about a
human-caused climate crisis.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20074765,00.html

////Send email to subscribe
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to this mailing. /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that