[TheClimate.Vote] September 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Sep 3 10:01:21 EDT 2017

/September 3, 2017/

*Raging wildfire north of downtown Los Angeles grows to one of the
largest blazes in city history
<http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2017/09/raging-wildfire-north-of-downtown-los.html>
*By Ruben Vives, Andrea Castillo, and Alene Tchekmedyian    2 September 2017
(The Los Angeles Times) – A brush fire in the Verdugo Mountains north of
downtown Los Angeles has burned more than 5,000 acres, making it one of
the largest fires in the city's history and one that officials warn
could grow larger if erratic weather conditions continue.
Hundreds of firefighters battled the blaze overnight and into the
morning, and at `one point, the flames were spreading in four directions
amid intense heat and wild winds. Three homes have burned, but no
injuries have been reported, officials said Saturday.
Firefighters faced another day of triple-digit temperatures in some
inland areas of Southern California as a heat wave that has gripped the
state continues....
http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2017/09/raging-wildfire-north-of-downtown-los.html*
Three homes burned as wildfire torches more than 5,000 acres
<http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-la-tuna-fire-wildfire-20170902-story.html>
*More than 700 homes in the area are under evacuation, including 300 in
Burbank, 250 in Glendale and 180 in Los Angeles, officials said.*
*http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-la-tuna-fire-wildfire-20170902-story.html*

As flood waters rise, is urban sprawl as much to blame as climate
change?
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/02/flood-waters-rising-urban-development-climate-change>*
Global warming may have intensified Hurricane Harvey and storms in Asia
and Africa but the real problem may be our sprawling cities
others argue that urban development is as much to blame for the floods
as climate change. "Houston, Bangalore and many other cities share the
same problem," says T V Ramachandra, coordinator of the energy and
wetlands research group at the Indian Institute of Science. "These
floods are mostly manmade. They are not natural disasters. They are very
similar and largely because of concretisation."
In the rush to economic development in India, China and elsewhere,
ecological sense has been ditched in favour of explosive growth across
the world, he says...
Flooding is already one of the world's greatest causes of illness and
death. According to the Dartmouth Flood Observatory, between 1985 and
2014 floods worldwide killed more than 500,000 people, displaced over
650 million people and caused damage in excess of $800bn. Between 2003
and 2008 large-scale floods that displaced at least 100,000 people
occurred in more than 1,800 cities in 40 countries...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/02/flood-waters-rising-urban-development-climate-change
.
*(video ) As flooding lingers, Houston begins clean-up
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCkjXtpAcmA>*
PBS NewsHour  Published on Sep 2, 2017
More than a week after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, Houston is shifting
to recovery mode and surveying the damage. The Federal Emergency
Management Administration has already granted $83 million in aid to
survivors of the storm, including funding for housing and other critical
needs, as thousands of people remain in shelters. NewsHour Weekend
Special Correspondent Marcia Biggs reports from Houston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCkjXtpAcmA
.
*$ We Don't Deny Harvey, So Why Deny Climate Change?
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/opinion/sunday/hurricane-harvey-climate-change.html>*
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/opinion/sunday/hurricane-harvey-climate-change.html
.
*(video) Why Did Houston Flood? <https://youtu.be/ePC7R3maJsw>*
NOVA PBS Official    Published on Sep 1, 2017
Hurricane Harvey's rainfall broke continental U.S. records. Here's how
cities like Houston can better prepare.
https://youtu.be/ePC7R3maJsw

*Ethics and Climate:  The Enormous Potential of Cities to Reduce GHG
Emissions, 571 Strategies Adopted by 44 Cities Around the World*
<https://ethicsandclimate.org/2017/09/01/the-enormous-potential-of-local-governments-to-reduce-ghg-emissions-a-paper-that-identifies-571-strategies-adopted-by-44-cities-around-the-world/>
571 Strategies To Reduce GHG Emissions Adopted by 44 Cities
This site has previously focused primarily on the obligations of
nations, organizations, and citizens around the world to respond to
climate change at levels consistent with their ethical and moral
obligations as well as with the ethical and moral problems with most
arguments made by opponents of  climate change policies.  While national
inadequate, many local governments around the world have started to step
up to reduce GHG emissions sometimes at surprisingly ambitious levels.
The following paper identifies 571 strategies that 44 cities have
adopted to achieve their emissions reduction commitments. Many cities
are reducing GHG emissions while claiming they are saving money and
often improving the  quality of life and sometimes creating jobs.
(2) Identification of strategies adopted by these cities arranged in the
following categories:
15 strategies for building green buildings,
55 strategies for reducing energy use in buildings,
19 other strategies for reducing energy use in general,
37 strategies for increasing renewable energy,
16 strategies to increase energy efficiency,
10 energy ordinance strategies,
143 strategies to reduce GHG emissions from transportation,
18 lighting transformation strategies,
32 strategies for managing waste disposal,
51 land use planning strategies,
19 miscellaneous tactics for reducing GHG emissions,
71 strategies for educating citizens,
38 strategies for incentivizing private sector GHG emissions reductions,
22 funding strategies to reduce GHG reduction emissions,
25 cooperative government climate strategies; and.
https://ethicsandclimate.org/2017/09/01/the-enormous-potential-of-local-governments-to-reduce-ghg-emissions-a-paper-that-identifies-571-strategies-adopted-by-44-cities-around-the-world/

*If You Think the Government Will Do Something About Chemical Explosions
in the Wake of Houston, Think Again
<http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/09/if-you-think-the-government-will-do-something-about-chemical-explosions-in-the-wake-of-houston-think-again/>*
They say it's because of concerns about terrorism.
REBECCA LEBER    Sept. 1, 2017 5:23 PM
The most important information to have should you live near a chemical
plant explosion-or inhale the fumes as 15 police officers have-is what
kinds of chemicals are at risk of leeching into the air and water. Yet
more than 24 hours after explosions at its plant 25 miles northeast of
Houston, the global chemical manufacturer Arkema Inc. will not release a
full inventory of its chemicals and where they are stored. Texas
officials won't either. The reason? Concerns about terrorism.
In July 2016, Pruitt and 10 other attorneys general asked then-EPA
administrator Gina McCarthy to withdraw the proposed version of the rule:
"Your proposed rule seeks to make readily-available to the public
information that you believe might be useful to the public in the event
of an accidental release of chemicals. As the federal agencies
responsible for national security have warned you, compiling that
information and making it easily accessible also aids those who might
seek to cause an intentional release for nefarious purposes, by
providing those bad actors with information that would help them both
select a target and exploit any security vulnerabilities their target
might have."
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/09/if-you-think-the-government-will-do-something-about-chemical-explosions-in-the-wake-of-houston-think-again/
.
*After West disaster, News study finds U.S. chemical safety data about
90 percent wrong
<https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2013/08/24/after-west-disaster-news-study-finds-u.s.-chemical-safety-data-about-90-percent-wrong>*
Even the best national data on chemical accidents is wrong nine times
out of 10.
A Dallas Morning News analysis of more than 750,000 federal records
found pervasive inaccuracies and holes in data on chemical accidents,
such as the one in West that killed 15 people and injured more than 300.
In fact, no one at any level of government knows how often serious
chemical accidents occur each year in the United States. And there is no
plan in place for federal agencies to gather more accurate information...
A total of 174 reports were made of serious chemical accidents in
California, with only 10 percent confirmed in the other data sets.
The News concluded that there was no systematic way to identify serious
accidents among the hundreds of thousands of records in the four
datasets. The only way forward was to loosen the matching criteria and
read through more than 500 individual accident narratives to identify
serious chemical accidents. Doing that, The News was able to confirm at
least 24 serious or potentially serious chemical accidents in Texas
between 2008 and 2011.
On rough average, that's one every two months - a lot more than make
headlines.
"Why would a company or organization do data checking? They might do it
because there is a liability risk. They might do it because they feel
it's the right thing to do," Podgurski said in an interview. "But even
in an honest organization, deadline financial pressures will mitigate
those efforts."
investigate at dallasnews.com
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2013/08/24/after-west-disaster-news-study-finds-u.s.-chemical-safety-data-about-90-percent-wrong

(threnody)
<https://critical-angle.net/2017/08/28/exit-pursued-by-a-crab/>*Exit,
Pursued by a Crab
<https://critical-angle.net/2017/08/28/exit-pursued-by-a-crab/>*
AUGUST 28, 2017 BY ANDY SKUCE
*Climate change and me*
It may seem a little odd to end this disclosure about my looming demise
with a technical commentary on climate change. However, concern about
what happens to the planet after my death-whenever that date might
be-has been important to me over the past few years. Having the fatal
moment moved forward doesn't change anything.
For the past ten years, I've become obsessive about learning and writing
about climate change. I've done my best to provide my own perspective as
an ex-oilman and geoscientist. Most of my contributions are recorded on
this blog. I've lately found it hard to apply the sustained effort to
research and write in-depth pieces that add anything coherent and novel
enough to be worth publishing. I would love, for example, to dig deeper
into the means and benefits of mitigation technologies and the costs of
inaction.
I have become reluctantly pessimistic about our ability to avoid
dangerous global change. If the best mitigation efforts are made and we
get lucky with climate sensitivity and carbon-cycle feedbacks, we might
succeed in limiting surface warming to 2-3 degrees C. If we are
mitigation laggards and the response of the Earth System to the abrupt
chemical changes we are delivering to the atmosphere turns out to be
severe, the consequences could be dire. Even in the best imaginable
case, we are in for some nasty, disruptive shocks, unfairly focussed on
the poorest people: those who have done the least to cause the problem....
https://critical-angle.net/2017/08/28/exit-pursued-by-a-crab/

*How To Build A DIY Disaster Kit
<https://www.bustle.com/p/what-to-put-in-a-disaster-kit-why-you-need-one-80608>*
If you want to make your own disaster kit, it's pretty easy to DIY. The
Red Cross considers these items essential to any basic disaster kit. If
you're going the DIY route, grab a backpack and add:
- Water: You'll need one gallon per person for three days. Water is
heavy, so consider getting some emergency drinking water in bags.
- Food: Three days worth of non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items. Cans
are heavy, so consider lightweight items, like dehydrated foods and
protein bars. If you have pets, make sure to pack food for them too.
- A flashlight and extra batteries, first-aid kit, lightweight emergency
blankets, and extra cash.
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
because your cellphone likely won't work.
- Medications, pack a seven-day supply, and sanitation and personal
hygiene items.
- A multi-purpose tool, like a deluxe pocket knife.
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical
information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth
certificates, insurance policies).
- Cellphone with chargers just in case, and family and emergency contact
information.
- Map(s) of the area because your maps apps probably won't do you any good.
You can get most of these items on Amazon, or at any local surplus store.
https://www.bustle.com/p/what-to-put-in-a-disaster-kit-why-you-need-one-80608
.
*Be Prepared for an Emergency. Be Red Cross Ready!*
<http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/be-red-cross-ready/get-a-kit>http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/be-red-cross-ready/get-a-kit
.
*How to Pack an Emergency Kit for Any Disaster
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/smarter-living/packing-emergency-kit-disaster.html>*
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/smarter-living/packing-emergency-kit-disaster.html

*This Day in Climate History September 3, 2008
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSsOnVWhic><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSsOnVWhic>-
from D.R. Tucker*
September 3, 2008: In his address to the Republican National
Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, former Maryland Lieutenant Governor
Michael Steele blows off concerns about climate change by proclaiming:
"Drill, baby, drill!"
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/03/steele-gives-gop-delegates-new-cheer-drill-baby-drill/tab/article/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSsOnVWhic

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that