[TheClimate.Vote] September 6, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Sep 6 11:13:06 EDT 2017

/September 6, 2017

/*Before a Hurricane
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/before.html>*
Even if there's no risk of a hurricane right now, it's important to be
safe and plan ahead. Get tips on how to stock up on supplies and plan
for emergencies.
Make a Plan <https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/plan.html>
Get Supplies <https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/supplies.html>
Get Your Family, Home, and Car Ready
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/preparedness.html>
Evacuate or Stay at Home
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/preparedness.html>*
*https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/before.html*
Hurricanes and Othter Tropical Storms
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/>*
https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/
*Featured App: FEMA   "Know Before You Go"
<https://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/index.asp>*
With hurricane season continuing through November 30, the FEMA app is an
essential tool to help your family weather the storm, nationwide.
Receive weather alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five
different locations anywhere in the United States.
Learn what to do before, during and after emergencies with safety tips
Download the free app today
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fema/id474807486?mt=8
-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.fema.mobile.android&hl=en
https://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/index.asp

CDC.gov *Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Natural Disasters
and Severe Weather
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/social_media.html>*
Social Media
Podcasts  Beat the Heat <http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/player.asp?f=9889>
Public Service Announcements (PSAs)
Keeping Cool in a Heat Wave
<http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/psa/heatwave.asp>
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/psa/heatwave.asp
Stay Healthy and Safe in Hot Weather
<http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/psa/outdoorheat.asp>
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/psa/outdoorheat.asp
Videos
How to Stay Cool in Extreme Heat
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/how_to_stay_cool_video.html>
A message from Robin M. Ikeda, MD, MPH, (RADM, USPHS), CDC Director of
the Office of Noncommunicable Diseases, Injury, and Environmental Health
(ONDIEH) on how you can prevent heat-related illnesses and deaths by
staying cool, hydrated and informed.
CDC's Tracking Program: Making Missouri Cooling Centers Easy to Find
<https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/cooling_centers_video.html>
https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/cooling_centers_video.html
CDC's Environmental Public Health Tracking Network connects people with
vital public health information. See how the Missouri Tracking Program
worked with local health officials to create an interactive, dynamic
online map that makes cooling centers easy to find.
https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/social_media.html

Globalchange.gov
*(Interactive) Heavy Downpours Increasing
<http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report/our-changing-climate/heavy-downpours-increasing>*
Heavy downpours are increasing nationally, especially over the last
three to five decades, with the largest increases in the Midwest and
Northeast. Increases in extreme precipitation are projected for all U.S.
regions.
Explore extreme precipitation.
The chapter presents 12 key messages about our changing climate,
together with supporting evidence for those messages. The discussion of
each key message begins with a summary of recent variations or trends,
followed by projections of the corresponding changes for the future.
http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report/our-changing-climate/heavy-downpours-increasing

Elizabeth Kolbert
*Hurricane Harvey and the Storms to Come
<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/11/hurricane-harvey-and-the-storms-to-come>*
In the leadup to the historic flood, Texas Republicans abetted Trump's
climate-change delusions.
Politicians from New York and New Jersey have been quick to say that
they will not mess with Texas the way that Texans messed with them.
"I'll vote 4 Harvey aid," Representative Peter King, a Republican from
Long Island, tweeted during the storm. Lawmakers from the Northeast
should vote for aid to Houston, but with conditions. In the place of
spending cuts, they should demand that Texas lawmakers and the President
face up to the facts. The earth is warming, fossil-fuel emissions are
the major cause, and the results are going to be far from "beneficial."
The U.S. needs to radically reduce its carbon emissions and, at the same
time, prepare for a future in which storms like Harvey, Sandy, and
Katrina increasingly become the norm.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/11/hurricane-harvey-and-the-storms-to-come

*Coal Giant Says Bankruptcy Shields It From California Climate Suit
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/09/05/peabody-coal-california-climate-change-lawsuit/>*
The coal giant Peabody did not dispute its product's impact on the
environment in its court filing, just that its bankruptcy deal precludes
them being held accountable.
Three coastal California communities suing fossil fuel companies over
their role in climate change are now heading to a bankruptcy court to
stop the largest coal producer in the country from claiming it can't be
held accountable.
Peabody Energy emerged from bankruptcy on April 3 with a court-approved
plan to reorganize the company. In a motion filed last week, the company
argued that the plan protects it from lawsuits that deal with its
operations before April 3.
"They are trying to avoid responsibility for their action by hiding
behind the bankruptcy," said Vic Sher, a partner in Sher Edling, the San
Francisco law firm representing the three communities
The California lawsuits
<https://www.sheredling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SMC-Endorsed6_2017-07-17-SMCO-Complaint-5bFINAL-ENDORSED5d.pdf>said
Peabody and other companies were negligent in their business practices
by generating an enormous amount of emissions and failing to disclose
the risks and impacts.
The California plaintiffs haven't specified how much money they are
seeking through the lawsuits. They will be asking for compensations to
deal with the impacts of climate change from the past and into the
future, Sher said.
"The key concept is that even if the emissions ended now, the impacts
from the emissions that already occurred will continue to be severe and
in fact will grow," he said.
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/09/05/peabody-coal-california-climate-change-lawsuit/
*(PDF of filing) FIRST CAUSE OF ACTION
<https://www.sheredling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SMC-Endorsed6_2017-07-17-SMCO-Complaint-5bFINAL-ENDORSED5d.pdf>*
(Public Nuisance on Behalf of the People of the State of California)
(Against All Defendants)
https://www.sheredling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SMC-Endorsed6_2017-07-17-SMCO-Complaint-5bFINAL-ENDORSED5d.pdf

*Here's why climate change is dividing the highly educated
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/09/05/here-s-why-climate-change-is-dividing-the-highly-educated>*
New research shows that education and facts don't prevent climate change
deniers from cherry picking evidence to support their own beliefs.
  World Economic Forum
Many people concerned about climate change assume that eventually, the
growing weight of facts will persuade those who dismiss humans' role in
the problem to think again. Surely, the theory goes, the plentiful
evidence will eventually make any naysayer understand the severity of
the situation.
But political ideology has a powerful effect, and new research shows
that education and facts don't prevent climate change deniers from
cherry picking evidence to support their own beliefs.
A study published this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences showed that among the most educated, there's actually a deep
divide in beliefs about controversial scientific issues.
The researchers analyzed public opinions on six topics, stem cell
research, the big bang, human evolution, climate change, nanotechnology,
and genetically modified foods, based on more than 6,500 responses from
the General Social Survey (a national survey conducted once every two
years). Overall, they found that education level was "at best weakly
related" to acceptance of the scientific consensus.
http://ewn.co.za/2017/09/05/here-s-why-climate-change-is-dividing-the-highly-educated
.
*5 things we learned from one of the world's biggest surveys of young people
<https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/global-shapers-survey-2017-5-things-we-learned>*https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/global-shapers-survey-2017-5-things-we-learned

*Global warming doubles growth rates of Antarctic seabed's marine fauna
– study
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/31/global-warming-doubles-growth-rates-of-antarctic-seabeds-marine-fauna-study>*
Experiment in the Bellingshuan Sea reveals temperature rise has more
alarming implications for biodiversity in polar waters than previously
thought
Until recently, most of the coverage of temperature rises has focused on
the north pole, where the shrinking of arctic ice has been most visibly
dramatic. But concerns are growing about the impact of global warming on
the far bigger southern ice cap.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/31/global-warming-doubles-growth-rates-of-antarctic-seabeds-marine-fauna-study

*Can business save the world from climate change?
<https://www.greenbiz.com/article/can-business-save-world-climate-change>*In
recent years, a number of initiatives and collaborations have sprung up
around the world focused on private sector action on climate change.
With Trump's withdrawal from the Paris agreement, these initiatives have
raised an intriguing question: In the absence of political action, can
business save the world from devastating climate change?
"While many of the oil majors are publicly supportive of climate action
and the Paris agreement, some of them are still proposing future energy
and emissions scenarios in which there are very high levels of carbon
capture and storage deployment - levels way higher than the current
level of investment suggests is plausible," Topping said.
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/can-business-save-world-climate-change

*How I learned to stop worrying and deal with climate change
<http://grist.org/article/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-deal-with-climate-change/>*
By Eve Andrews    "A reader recently wrote me to say she has given up.
She is done."
How do you keep from being driven to despair when the ones you are
disagreeing with are the ones you're trying, specifically, to protect?
How do you deal with resistance to a threat that, to you, is urgent?
His answer surprised me, honestly: He's patient. The projects he's
developing - a food-sovereignty initiative, a land-grant system - will
be entrusted to younger members of the tribe, those who understand
climate change and are passionate about fighting it.
"I've accepted the fact that some of these ideas may not come into
fruition in my lifetime," he says. "But we've got to plant these seeds,
and some of them will sprout. They need to be watered and nourished.
"That's my hope in my work.
You feel what you feel, you do what you can, and you try not to carry
the weight of every errant carbon molecule on your shoulders. Everyone
else is carrying that weight, too, whether they've dealt with it or not
- and most are just as lost as you are. You help them figure out their
thing that they can do, rather than tell them what they should be doing.
You try to be patient.
http://grist.org/article/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-deal-with-climate-change/

* Denying Hurricane Harvey's climate links only worsens future suffering
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/sep/05/denying-hurricane-harveys-climate-links-only-worsens-future-suffering>*
The variables in the climate change formula are *mitigation, adaptation,
and suffering*. Denying the problem loads up on the suffering.
There will be some of each, but the more we mitigate the problem by
cutting carbon pollution, the less we will have to adapt to and suffer
from the consequences of climate change. However, even adaptation takes
action. We can take some steps to adapt to rising sea levels, but
denying the problem by rolling back regulations aimed at doing just that
shifts us further toward the suffering part of the equation. Economic
growth has many benefits, but by itself does not move us in the
direction of climate mitigation or adaptation.
In short, to minimize the suffering caused by climate change, we need to
be smarter about addressing the problem and adapting its consequences.
Right now we're instead becoming stupider, and that will only lead to
increased suffering. If we want to minimize the suffering caused by
future Harveys, we need to talk about how climate change is making them
worse, and we need to do something about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/sep/05/denying-hurricane-harveys-climate-links-only-worsens-future-suffering

*
A two-decade crusade by conservative charities fueled Trump's exit from
Paris climate accord
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-two-decade-crusade-by-conservative-charities-fueled-trumps-exit-from-paris-climate-accord/2017/09/05/fcb8d9fe-6726-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html>*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-two-decade-crusade-by-conservative-charities-fueled-trumps-exit-from-paris-climate-accord/2017/09/05/fcb8d9fe-6726-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html

*Washington Post: Exxon, Koch, and Big Coal Cash Begat Trump Climate
Denial
<http://climateinvestigations.org/washington-post-exxon-koch-big-coal-cash-begat-trump-climate-denial/>*
Q: What does spending tens of millions of dollars supporting climate
denial organizations over a twenty year period buy you?
A: Donald Trump, abdication of U.S. leadership on climate and increased
risk of damage from climate change.
The Washington Post's Bob O'Harrow just penned the most complete
treatment to date on what has happened over the past year and the past
twenty years starting in 1997, resulting in the June 2017 Rose Garden
party to ditch the Paris Climate Agreement. This story contains a
sequence of key events and history, ending in the Trump Whitehouse.
This story boils down to the legacy of climate denial funding by
ExxonMobil, the Koch brothers, coal companies and conservative
foundations, which has supported and paid for the salaries, campaigns,
programs and rent at dozens of non-profit organizations who have opposed
sensible climate policy.
http://climateinvestigations.org/washington-post-exxon-koch-big-coal-cash-begat-trump-climate-denial/

*Predatory Delay is the blocking or slowing of needed change, in order
to make money off unsustainable, unjust system in the meantime.
<https://twitter.com/AlexSteffen/status/902164491651006464>*
https://twitter.com/AlexSteffen/status/902164491651006464

*Debate Trolling and Predatory Delay – Alex Steffen – Medium
<https://medium.com/@AlexSteffen/debate-trolling-and-predatory-delay-47881ea6c6b7>*
https://medium.com/@AlexSteffen/debate-trolling-and-predatory-delay-47881ea6c6b7
May 3, 2016 - Debate Trolling and Predatory Delay. Ten years ago this
month I wrote a piece, "The Debate Is Over" (you can read it below). It
caused a stir.

https://medium.com/@AlexSteffen/debate-trolling-and-predatory-delay-47881ea6c6b7

*(video) How to Deal With A Crisis of Meaning
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8d3iW2yxM>*
Many of us are regularly thrown off course by what we might term 'crises
of meaning'; periods when what we are up to seems not to connect up with
anything purposeful or properly dignified. It's at such moments that we
need to lean on a  bigger theory of what meaning is, where it comes
from, and how our lives relate to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8d3iW2yxM

Assessing the damage: How @GOP looks at
<https://twitter.com/A_Siegel/status/905070513961271296/photo/1>
#HoustonFloods, #climate, and disasters
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/9/5/1696029/-Cartoon-Assessing-the-damage
… @JenSorensen #SciComm #Cartoons
https://twitter.com/A_Siegel/status/905070513961271296/photo/1

<http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/exclusive-audio-koch-brothers-seminar-tapes/>*This
Day in Climate History September 6, 2011
<http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/exclusive-audio-koch-brothers-seminar-tapes/>-
(+ video) <http://youtu.be/7qLiEB4Ed_E> from D.R. Tucker*
September 6, 2011: On MotherJones.com, investigative journalist Brad
Friedman posts audio from a secretive June 2011 conference in Colorado
hosted by climate-change-denying libertarian billionaires Charles and
David Koch. In one clip, Charles Koch compares President Obama to Saddam
Hussein. That evening, Friedman discusses the conference on MSNBC's "The
Ed Show."
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/exclusive-audio-koch-brothers-seminar-tapes/

http://youtu.be/7qLiEB4Ed_E
////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that