[TheClimate.Vote] September 7, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Sep 7 09:19:59 EDT 2017

/September 7, 2017/

*Hurricane and Tropical - Cyclones Current Activity - Atlantic Hurricane
Irma <https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma>*
Last Updated: 9/7/2017, 5:00:00 AM (Pacific Standard Time)
Location:  20.1 N 69 W
Movement:  WNW at 15 mph
Wind:  180 mph
Pressure: 27.2 in
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma
.
*(twitter news) NHC Atlantic Ops Verified account
<https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic>*
@NHC_Atlantic
Providing analyses, forecasts, and warnings of tropical cyclones and
disturbances over the Atlantic basin.
https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic
.
*Irma sets a record as strongest hurricane in open Atlantic
<https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extremely-dangerous-cat-5-irma-storms-leeward-islands>*
As noted above, Irma's peak sustained surface winds of 185 mph are the
highest observed in any hurricane north of the Caribbean and east of
Florida, topped only by Allen (1980) in the Caribbean (190 mph). Two
hurricanes have notched 185-mph winds in the Caribbean: Gilbert (1988)
and Wilma (2005). The Labor Day hurricane of 1935 hit the same peak
winds in the Florida Straits.
Irma's set another record late Wednesday afternoon: its central surface
pressure dropped to 916 mb, as extrapolated from dropsonde data
collected by Hurricane Hunters. Update: This is just short of the
previous Atlantic record outside of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, a
915 mb reading from a dropsonde with Hurricane Isabel (2003).
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extremely-dangerous-cat-5-irma-storms-leeward-islands
.
*United States Department of Commerce  NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/>*
NHC issuing advisories for the Atlantic on Hurricane Irma, TS Jose and
TS Katia
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
*.
****Lack of water spurs heated exchange at a wholesale store
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171494902.html>
*A woman reacts to the shortage of water at a wholesale store in Miami,
Florida on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171494902.html

*Climate, Power, Money And Sorrow: Lessons Of Hurricane Harvey
<http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2017/09/06/548658019/climate-power-money-and-sorrow-lessons-of-hurricane-harvey>*
That's what climate change and climate science has become after all
these years.
It's just another political football getting tossed around on an already
crowded field of political game playing. Immigration, health care,
Russian hacking - climate change just gets tossed onto that pile. Then
everyone watches to see who has the best zingers on the next CNN or Fox
News panel.
But in the wake of Hurricane Harvey we can now see what climate change
is really about. *It was never about clever arguments but, instead,
something much more elemental: power, money and human suffering.*
We've gotten so used to thinking about climate change in the abstract
that we've forgotten why exactly anyone should care about it in the
first place.
Unbalancing those planetary forces unleashes the Earth's potent and
devastating powers. Once engaged, those powers are literally unstoppable
by anything we humans have at our disposal. The heavy rains and heat
waves (currently the most clear consequence of climate change) bring
misery and loss. And after those rains move on and the heat waves abate
we will not have the resources - the money - to continually pick up the
pieces.
That's the truth about climate change that Harvey lays bare. It's never
been about politics or ideology. It's never been about Al Gore or James
Inhofe. It's not about arguments on Facebook or zingers on cable news.
Katrina, Sandy and, now, Harvey - with each of these powerful storms we
get a view into how a changing climate may play out in the real world
beyond arguments and abstractions.
What it's always been about are the truly awesome powers inherent to
planets and the real human consequences of altering the balance of those
powers. Luckily, there's still time to marshal our own great and
creative powers and chart a saner course.
http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2017/09/06/548658019/climate-power-money-and-sorrow-lessons-of-hurricane-harvey

*Irma, Harvey reveal 'massive national security risks'
<https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/irma-harvey-reveal-massive-national-security-risks-commentary.html>*
Irma, Harvey reveal America's lack of preparation for extreme weather
events.
The widespread destruction in Houston shows that the changing climate is
a direct threat to our citizens' security right here at home.
While military leaders and other planners know that storm extremes are
increasingly likely as the climate warms, we have not yet taken the
steps we need to prepare ourselves for these events.
inally, our military is a crucial part of communities across the
country-we can see this vividly in the valiant rescues underway by men
and women in uniform in Houston. Both civilian and military communities
need to come together in planning for future extreme weather events.
DOD's vibrant community partnering program
<https://community.apan.org/wg/airforcepartnerships> is a great example
of how the military can enable those serving to connect with their
communities on a wide range of common issues, from health to
environmental protections. Programs like these can help us assess risks
today and prepare communities for devastating weather events of
tomorrow.https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/irma-harvey-reveal-massive-national-security-risks-commentary.html
*Air Force Community Partnership Program
<https://community.apan.org/wg/airforcepartnerships>*
The Air Force Community Partnership Program is a framework through which
installation and community leaders are developing creative ways to
leverage their capabilities and resources to focus on achieving reduced
costs by finding shared value.  The AF process taps into the
intellectual capital and innovative spirit of installation and community
leaders to find creative ways to accomplish the Air Force mission and
enhance communities.
https://community.apan.org/wg/airforcepartnerships

*Increasing flood insurance claims in a changed climate:
<https://t.co/RPmfQ2DY4h>*
Estimates are now out for number of claims that will be filed under the
national flood insurance program due to Harvey.
Climate Signals has put together an infographic
<http://www.climatesignals.org/resources/chart-increasing-flood-claims-changed-climate>
illustrating the increasing frequency of national flood insurance claims
in a changed climate, including the estimate for Harvey.
http://www.climatesignals.org/resources/chart-increasing-flood-claims-changed-climate
Tweet: https://twitter.com/ClimateSignals/status/905501049389240322
https://t.co/puBbgbXfjd #Harvey    #Irma
https://t.co/RPmfQ2DY4h

*Why extremes are expected to change with a global warming
<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/09/why-extremes-are-expected-to-change-with-a-global-warming/>*
Filed under: Climate impacts Climate Science Hurricanes hydrological
cycle IPCC statistics - rasmus @ 5 September 2017
Joanna Walters links extreme weather events with climate change in a
recent article in the Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/01/hurricane-harvey-us-billion-dollar-weather-disasters-2017>,
however, some  reservations have been expressed about such links in past
discussions.
For example, we discussed the connection between single storms and
global warming in the post Hurricanes and Global Warming – Is there a
connection?,
<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/09/hurricanes-and-global-warming/>
the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
<https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/wmo-expert-team-statement-hurricane-harvey>has
issued a statement, and Mike has recently explained the connection in
the Guardian.
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/28/climate-change-hurricane-harvey-more-deadly>
We still cannot say that single events are caused by climate change for
the simple reason that climate change is not a force.
Rather, climate change is a consequence of changed physical conditions.
Indeed, one type of climate change could hypothetically consist of
storms just becoming more powerful.
I will explain ....
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/09/why-extremes-are-expected-to-change-with-a-global-warming/

*Sunday Toons of the Near-Catastrophic Moment
<http://bradblog.com/?p=12273>*
http://bradblog.com/?p=12273
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/MilbrD/2017/MilbrD20170825_low.jpg

*This Day in Climate History September 7, 2011
<http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/audio-chris-christie-koch-brothers-seminar/>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
September 7, 2011:
  On MotherJones.com, investigative journalist Brad Friedman, in part
two of his report on a secretive June 2011 meeting in Colorado held by
billionaire climate-change deniers Charles and David Koch, notes that
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie spoke at the meeting--and that David Koch
called him "my kind of guy."
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/audio-chris-christie-koch-brothers-seminar/

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that