[TheClimate.Vote] September 9, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Sep 9 07:01:04 EDT 2017

/September 9, 2017/

*(Graphics updates) NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER  HURRICANE IRMA
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/>*
Wind Speed Probabilities
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?tswind120#contents>
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?tswind120#contents
Warnings/Cone Static Images
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?cone#contents>
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?cone#contents
Experimental Arrival Time of Winds
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?mltoa34#contents>
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/154010.shtml?mltoa34#contents

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/
*
****
**Florida governor has ignored climate change risks, critics say
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/florida-governor-has-ignored-climate-change-risks-critics-say/2017/09/08/04a8c60a-94a0-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html?utm_term=.2befb0a4448e>*
But for all of Scott's vigor in readying Florida for Irma's wrath, his
administration has done little over the years to prepare for what
scientists say are the inevitable effects of climate change that will
wreak havoc in the years to come. With its far-reaching coastline and
low elevation, Florida is one of the states at greatest risk from rising
sea levels, extreme weather events - including more-powerful hurricanes
- and other consequences of a warming planet.
Local officials, academics and even some political allies say Scott has
scarcely acknowledged the problem and, along with the Republican-led
legislature, has shown little interest in funding projects to help the
state adapt and become more resilient in the face of storms such as Irma.
"It's more than an absence of leadership. There's harm being done by
denying the problem," said Eric Buermann, former general counsel to the
Republican Party of Florida and a former board chairman for the
Southwest Florida Water Management District. "He's chilled the
discussion, so that those who would want to do something about it feel
ostracized . . . I'm a Republican. He's a Republican. He's a nice guy.
There's nothing negative I have to say about the human being. It's just
that the policy is 180 degrees off course."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/florida-governor-has-ignored-climate-change-risks-critics-say/2017/09/08/04a8c60a-94a0-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html

*
Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago Resort Ordered to Evacuate Ahead of Hurricane
Irma
<http://time.com/4933251/mar-a-lago-evacuated-hurricane-irma/?xid=homepage>*
President Donald Trump's seaside resort Mar-a-Lago and the surrounding
barrier islands have been ordered to evacuate as the ferocious Hurricane
Irma approaches Florida.
Palm Beach County
<President%20Donald%20Trump%27s%20seaside%20resort%20Mar-a-Lago%20and%20the%20surrounding%20barrier%20islands%20have%20been%20ordered%20to%20evacuate%20as%20the%20ferocious%20Hurricane%20Irma%20approaches%20Florida.,Palm%20Beach%20County%20officials%20ordered%20that%20residents%20of%20the%20islands%20and%20low-lying%20areas%20should%20start%20to%20leave%20by%2010%20a.m.%20on%20Friday,%20the%20Miami%20Herald%20reported.>officials
ordered that residents of the islands and low-lying areas should start
to leave by 10 a.m. on Friday, the Miami Herald reported.
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171917002.html>http://time.com/4933251/mar-a-lago-evacuated-hurricane-irma/?xid=homepage

*How Not to Freak Out <https://www.lionsroar.com/how-not-to-freak-out/>*
You're not alone if you despair about the present and fear for the
future. If you find all the bad news overwhelming, Buddhist teacher Judy
Lief has some meditations to help you relieve your socio-political pain.
https://www.lionsroar.com/how-not-to-freak-out/

*(Gallows humor ) photos of golfers playing on as an Oregon wildfire
rages nearby
<https://www.golfdigest.com/story/these-photos-of-golfers-playing-on-as-an-oregon-wildfire-rages-nearby-are-absolutely-nuts>*
To see the original image https://i.redd.it/5xcin759e4kz.jpg
original Reddit source of image:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/6yajls/oregon_fires_next_to_a_golf_course/
Sort of confirmation and more images
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/these-photos-of-golfers-playing-on-as-an-oregon-wildfire-rages-nearby-are-absolutely-nuts*

FIRES IN THE WESTERN UNITED STATES
*Smoky fires plagued the western U.S. and Canada in the summer of 2017.*
  *
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=90899&src=nha
*  *** Image from Sep 04, 2017 (Posted on Sep 06, 2017 12:00 AM)*
  *
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=90907&src=nha
*  *** Image from Sep 04, 2017 (Posted on Sep 05, 2017 4:33 PM)*

Dr Edward Maibach – Climate Matters: A Novel Approach To Educating
Americans About Humanity's Greatest Challenge
<http://www.scientia.global/dr-edward-maibach-climate-matters-novel-approach-educating-americans-humanitys-greatest-challenge/>*
While climate scientists are typically ranked as the most trusted source
of climate change information in the US, scientists have limited access
to the public and in certain demographics, particularly conservatives,
trust in scientists has declined. Weathercasters on the other hand are
not only trusted, they have strong access to the public, strong
communication skills, and the information they convey is not viewed as
political, since the weather itself is not political. The weather
forecast is the most common voluntarily sought form of science
education, and previous research suggests that it is an effective venue
for related topics, such as geography, public health, and hurricane risk.
On September 1st 2017, Climate Matters will begin to offer resources to
non-weather journalists in hopes of extending the reach of local climate
reporting and education. As humanity continues to face the
ever-increasing threat of global climate change, a challenge that
requires participation from people in all walks of life, programs such
as Climate Matters offer an innovative approach to science education and
involvement.
http://www.scientia.global/dr-edward-maibach-climate-matters-novel-approach-educating-americans-humanitys-greatest-challenge/

*
*Reuters Commentary: *
**How good government can limit hurricane damage
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-scruggs-hurricane-commentary/commentary-how-good-government-can-limit-hurricane-damage-idUSKCN1BI271>*
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-scruggs-hurricane-commentary/commentary-how-good-government-can-limit-hurricane-damage-idUSKCN1BI271>Gregory
Scruggs
*Fix the National Flood Insurance Program to remove the perverse
incentive to build in flood-prone areas.**
**Buy out homeowners in vulnerable areas and manage their retreat.**
**Rebuild smarter with green infrastructure*
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-scruggs-hurricane-commentary/commentary-how-good-government-can-limit-hurricane-damage-idUSKCN1BI271

Culture*
Visa pour l'image: Report from 'the frontline of global warming' wins
digital award
<http://www.france24.com/en/20170908-visa-pour-limage-report-frontline-global-warming-wins-digital-award-sokhin>
*Photojournalist Vlad Sokhin won on Thursday the award for the Best
Digital News Story for his long-term project documenting climate change
in Russia's Far East at the Visa pour l'image photojournalism festival
in the south of France.*
*

    "Warm Waters: Kamchatka" is a part of the "Warm Waters" project - a
    larger 4-year project by photographer Vlad Sokhin on global climate
    change in the Pacific region. Sokhin started his project by studying
    the Pacific microstates that are slowly being submerged. He went to
    the Marshall Islands and the Solomon Islands and travelled
    extensively in the Pacific islands, as well as Alaska and Kamchatka.
    Sokhin returned from his trips with photo essays showing the impact
    of climate change on people's lives. In his pictures you can see
    villages deserted because of rising sea levels, washed-out
    cemeteries, concrete houses destroyed by the ocean, people who have
    lost their homes because of global warming, and seals that are dying
    due to a lack of food.
    "Warm Waters: Kamchatka" is a joint project by Takie Dela and
    photographer Vlad Sokhin. It is about people and nature on the
    frontline of global warming.
    https://takiedela.ru/kamchatka/en

"Climate change is hard for a photographer to cover. It's not like a
war, we have to wait a long time before something actually happens,"
says Sokhin.
http://www.france24.com/en/20170908-visa-pour-limage-report-frontline-global-warming-wins-digital-award-sokhin*

Why Are FEMA's Flood Maps So Horribly Flawed?
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/09/here_s_why_fema_s_flood_maps_are_so_terrible.html>*
They fail to take climate change into account, and they're hard and
expensive to maintain. Plus, they can be manipulated by local governments
Of course, FEMA tries to accurately communicate flood risks, and its
maps, which are tied to the National Flood Insurance Program's rates,
have saved the country money. But since climate scientists predict sea
levels will likely rise 1 - 3.2 feet this century-with the higher part
of that range coming from emitting greenhouse gases in a
"business-as-usual" scenario-the maps need to address that. But even in
a scenario in which the government agency wants to take climate change
as seriously as it should, the maps are hard to adjust. Like the census,
it takes time and billions of dollars with each update. And a FEMA
official who responded to my request for comment said that after Harvey,
its focus is on recovery, rather than mapping.
Unfortunately, we have neither the ability nor the political will to
update the maps in a reasonable fashion. Far from providing the
additional funds the organization would need to rethink its zoning
recommendations, President Trump proposed cutting the organization's
budget by $190 million in his (largely meaningless, except in messaging)
budget. His budget would also drop local communities', states', and
tribes' grant funding for disaster mitigation, which would be used to
help prepare for the next hurricane. And while Congress rejected Trump's
dramatic budget, it hasn't contributed extra funding either..
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/09/here_s_why_fema_s_flood_maps_are_so_terrible.html

*
The contrast stuns me/should stun you: Climate Catastrophes vs Fossil
Foolish Promotion
<http://getenergysmartnow.com/2017/09/07/the-contrast-stuns-meshould-stun-you-climate-catastrophes-vs-fossil-foolish-promotion/>*
How many, in the media world and punditry, has picked up and run with a
stunning contrast yesterday. As fossil-fueled climate catastrophes
strike the United States
<http://getenergysmartnow.com/2017/09/04/climate-catastrophes-striking-from-sea-to-shining-sea/>
"From Sea to Shining Sea", Donald Trump flew out to North Dakota to
speak at an oil refinery!
Bill Mckibben, in a tweet last night
<https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status/905613323902869505>,
1) Irma at 190 mph
2) Harvey at 54 " of rain
3) West ablaze
4) Record California heat
5) Donald Trump talking at an oil refinery
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJFiK1gUQAAmig2.jpg>
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJFiK1gUQAAmig2.jpg
http://getenergysmartnow.com/2017/09/07/the-contrast-stuns-meshould-stun-you-climate-catastrophes-vs-fossil-foolish-promotion/

*
(Onion, satire) Climate Change Denier Battens Down Worldview To Weather
Hurricane Irma
<http://www.theonion.com/article/climate-change-denier-battens-down-worldview-weath-56883>*
OWENSBORO, KY-Taking all necessary measures to reinforce his cherished
beliefs ahead of the impending storm, local climate change denier
Michael Dunn reportedly spent Friday battening down his worldview to
help weather Hurricane Irma. "This could be the big one that completely
destroys my position that climate change is a government conspiracy,"
said Dunn, who sources confirmed had fortified his stance that global
warming was merely a scheme by climatologists for research funding and
hastily stockpiled pseudo-scientific reports from the internet claiming
that excess CO2 is good for the environment. "All I can do now is ride
it out and hope that I've done enough to protect my ideology from being
completely leveled by this storm. I hate to say it, but I'm preparing
for the worst." At press time, Dunn was reportedly praying this
hurricane was just another act of God's vengeance against homosexuality.
http://www.theonion.com/article/climate-change-denier-battens-down-worldview-weath-56883

*This Day in Climate History September 9, 2005
<http://web.archive.org/web/20050924210135/http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0912-32.htm>-
from D.R. Tucker*
September 9, 2005: At the National Sierra Club Convention in San
Francisco, Al Gore declares:

    "There are scientific warnings now of another onrushing catastrophe.
    We were warned of an imminent attack by Al Qaeda; we didn't respond.
    We were warned the levees would break in New Orleans; we didn't
    respond. Now, the scientific community is warning us that the
    average hurricane will continue to get stronger because of global
    warming. A scientist at MIT has published a study well before this
    tragedy showing that since the 1970s, hurricanes in both the
    Atlantic and the Pacific have increased in duration, and in
    intensity, by about 50%. The newscasters told us after Hurricane
    Katrina went over the southern tip of Florida that there was a
    particular danger for the Gulf Coast of the hurricanes becoming much
    stronger because it was passing over unusually warm waters in the
    gulf. The waters in the gulf have been unusually warm. The oceans
    generally have been getting warmer. And the pattern is exactly
    consistent with what scientists have predicted for twenty years. Two
    thousand scientists, in a hundred countries, engaged in the most
    elaborate, well organized scientific collaboration in the history of
    humankind, have produced long-since a consensus that we will face a
    string of terrible catastrophes unless we act to prepare ourselves
    and deal with the underlying causes of global warming. It is
    important to learn the lessons of what happens when scientific
    evidence and clear authoritative warnings are ignored in order to
    induce our leaders not to do it again and not to ignore the
    scientists again and not to leave us unprotected in the face of
    those threats that are facing us right now."

http://web.archive.org/web/20050924210135/http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0912-32.htm

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that