[TheClimate.Vote] April 30, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Apr 30 09:57:39 EDT 2018

/April 30, 2018/

[Bonn Climate Change Conference 30 April - 10 May 2018]
*Announcing @IISDRS Coverage of the Bonn #ClimateChange Conference -
April/May 2018 @UNFCCC #SB48Bonn #Talanoa4ambition
<http://enb.iisd.org/climate/sb48/>*
The deadline for reaching agreement on the details needed to implement
the Paris Agreement is in December 2018. This work is known as the Paris
Agreement Work Programme
<http://unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485txt.php> and it is being
negotiated by the three subsidiary bodies that will convene in Bonn...
- - - - -
Another important issue in Bonn is the Talanoa Dialogue, which started
in January and will conclude in December 2018. The Dialogue focuses on
three questions related to countries’ efforts to combat climate change:
*Where are we? Where do we want to go? How do we get there? *
http://enb.iisd.org/climate/sb48/

[Avian studies meets climate change]
*Birds & Climate Change: Ben Zuckerberg (April 2018)
<https://youtu.be/nKfHNO8crxc>*
Understanding Climate Change
Published on Apr 29, 2018
Birds & Climate Change: Ben Zuckerberg (April 2018)
http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/zuckerberg/bzuckerberg/
https://youtu.be/nKfHNO8crxc
-[Forecast bird migrations]*
**Here's How to Use the New Migration Forecast Tools from BirdCast
<https://www.allaboutbirds.org/heres-how-to-use-the-new-migration-forecast-tools-from-birdcast/>*
"Excellent tool to avoid collisions with operating wind turbines during
mass migration. Just switch the turbines off during this short periods."
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/heres-how-to-use-the-new-migration-forecast-tools-from-birdcast/
-[brief video]
*Recording the Sounds of Extinction
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnpsMG0PWRY>*
Great Big Story
Published on May 10, 2016
Bernie Krause has been recording wildlife sounds, or "soundscapes," for
over forty years. He's amassed the largest archive in the world, and in
doing so, can chart how wildlife sounds have changed over the course of
climate change. Listen for yourself: the rising silence speaks volumes.​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnpsMG0PWRY
-[citizen science via smartphone]
*eBird: Discover a new world of birding... <https://ebird.org/home>*

    Find more birds
    Keep track of your bird lists, photos, and sounds
    Explore latest sightings from around the world
    Join the world's largest birding community
    Contribute to science and conservation

eBird began with a simple idea - that every birdwatcher has unique
knowledge and experience. Our goal is to gather this information in the
form of checklists of birds, archive it, and freely share it to power
new data-driven approaches to science, conservation and education. At
the same time, we develop tools that make birding more rewarding. From
being able to manage lists, photos and audio recordings, to seeing
real-time maps of species distribution, to alerts that let you know when
species have been seen, we strive to provide the most current and useful
information to the birding community.
eBird is the world's largest biodiversity-related citizen science
project, with more than 100 million bird sightings contributed each year
by eBirders around the world...
eBird data document bird distribution, abundance, habitat use, and
trends through checklist data collected within a simple, scientific
framework. Birders enter when, where, and how they went birding, and
then fill out a checklist of all the birds seen and heard during the
outing. eBird's free mobile app allows offline data collection anywhere
in the world, and the website provides many ways to explore and
summarize your data and other observations from the global eBird community.
https://ebird.org/home

[More methane - video review of recent research]
*Methane Venting Into Air Over Arctic Sea Ice.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntMMsyGXvU>*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Apr 27, 2018
Using European Satellite Data (Copernicus Atmospheric Monitoring
Service; CAMS) I show that methane is now venting into the air at the
surface in the Arctic in the Kara Sea off the Russian Island of Novaya
Zemlya. It must be seeping from the ocean floor, bubbling up through the
shallow water column and working its way through the sea ice cover. You
may recall that many large "methane craters" have been discovered lately
on the Yamal Peninsula which juts out into the Kara Sea in this region.
This is not good for humanity. Please donate at my blog
http://paulbeckwith.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntMMsyGXvU
- - - - -
[distressing video message by Stuart Scott UPFSI.org - predicts 4 degrees]
*Catastrophic Feedback Loops - Runaway Climate Change
<https://youtu.be/O8oMpbiDXhQ>*
GlobalClimateNews
2014 event, video published  Apr, 2018
"The Operating System of global civilization is seriously flawed."
Combined feedback loops are creating runaway climate change. The methane
explosion in Syberia will change the climate of the entire world.
https://youtu.be/O8oMpbiDXhQ
- - -
[A Four Degrees Scenario]
*Four Degrees video description from National Geographic
<http://youtu.be/skFrR3g4BRQ>*
video: http://youtu.be/skFrR3g4BRQ
At 4 degrees of warming most of the Nile Delta is threatened by rising
seas, as is a third of Bangladesh. Tens of millions more become climate
refugees.
West Antarctic ice sheet potentially collapses, pumping five metres of
water into global sea levels.
Southern Europe becomes like the Sahara, with deserts spreading in Spain
and Portugal.
People move north into temperate refuges in Scandinavia and the British
Isles, which become increasingly overcrowded, resulting in further conflict.
All glaciers disappear from the Alps, further reducing water supplies in
central Europe.
Permafrost melt in Siberia releases methane and carbon dioxide, meaning
that global warming spirals upward.
For more information on 4 Degrees see also: Download the Climate Action
Centre primer "4 degrees hotter"
<http://fisnua.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/4-degrees-hotter.pdf>
http://localsteps.org/4degreemap.html

[UN  to Banks]
*UN issues first guidance for banking industry to become more
transparent on climate issues
<http://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/24509/un-issues-first-guidance-for-banking-industry-to-become-more-transparent-on-climate-issues>*
by SixDegrees
The guidance will help banks better manage and be more transparent about
the risks that the transition to the low-carbon economy presents to
their business. It will also help them seize the corresponding
opportunities
- - - -
"Many of the environmental challenges that the world faces today,
especially climate change, can be traced back to one fundamental root
cause: short-termism. Financial markets can become a catalyst for action
on sustainability, but for that they need to become more long-term
oriented," said Erik Solheim, Head of UN Environment. "The beauty of the
TCFD framework is that it encourages organizations to consider and
disclose long-term impacts. This change in perspective is what we need
to achieve sustainable development. That's why as UN Environment we are
excited to be working with such committed leaders in the finance industry."
http://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/24509/un-issues-first-guidance-for-banking-industry-to-become-more-transparent-on-climate-issues

[Climate Home News]
*We need bold action before 2020 to hold global warming below 1.5C
<http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/04/26/paris-agreement-starts-2020-will-late/>*
Published on 26/04/2018
If rich countries fail to live up to their promises over the next two
years, they condemn small islands to catastrophic warming impacts, says
Maldives minister
By Thoriq Ibrahim
A recent report found that unless bold climate action is taken in the
next couple of years – before 2020 – it may become impossible to hold
global warming below 1.5C.
This could prove catastrophic for small island developing states like
mine that have already witnessed severe climate change impacts at just
the 1C of warming the world has already experienced, including the
devastating hurricane season that struck the Caribbean last year.
Next week international climate change negotiators will gather in Bonn,
Germany for the first in-person meeting of the "Talanoa Dialogue", the
new UN process designed to track international efforts to implement the
Paris Agreement.
Talanoa was born out of the UN climate change negotiations led by Fiji
last year and refers to a traditional Pacific word for communal
decision-making – a fitting term for the kind of approach needed to win
consensus among the 196 countries at the talks...
- - - - - -
Fortunately, solutions to the climate crisis – wind, solar, energy
efficiency, and many others – are more cost-effective than ever. And the
financial institutions needed to facilitate climate finance distribution
to developing countries, like the Green Climate Fund (GCF), have been in
place for years – all that is missing now is the level of financing
money promised.
The spirit of transparency and collective problem-solving expressed by
the Talanoa Dialogue is exactly what is needed for the world to tackle
climate change. But it would be a profound tragedy if we get to 2020
only to discover we waited too long to do what was needed.
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/04/26/paris-agreement-starts-2020-will-late/

*This Day in Climate History - April 30, 2001
<http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2001-05-01-cheney-usat.htm>
- from D.R. Tucker*
April 30, 2001: Speaking in Toronto at an annual meeting of the
Associated Press, Vice President Dick Cheney asserts, "Conservation may
be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a sufficient basis for a
sound, comprehensive energy policy."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2001-05-01-cheney-usat.htm

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that