[TheClimate.Vote] August 9, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Aug 9 11:02:58 EDT 2018

/August 9, 2018/

[Australia]
BBC News - August 8
*New South Wales drought now affects entire state
<https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45107504>*
Australia's most populous state, New South Wales (NSW), is now entirely
in drought, officials have confirmed.
A dry winter has intensified what has been called the worst drought in
living memory in parts of eastern Australia.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45107504
- - - -
BBC video
*Extreme weather 2018 - NSW 100% in drought (Australia) - BBC News - 8th
August 2018 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyLkv8yRec>*
Published on Aug 8, 2018
What this means for the state of New South Wales, farmers, the country
and the long term forecast for the entire area in this winter period for
the summer yet to come and beyond.
Part of the 'extreme weather and climate change' series (on this
channel), as this year is proving particularly hot yet again and in more
places in the northern hemisphere on planet Earth in 2018. (See play
list "Weather extremes 2018" for more).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyLkv8yRec
- - - -
[emotional video documentary 31minutes]
*The face of Australia's drought crisis
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gByMrCKkZco>*
ABC News (Australia) Published on Aug 6, 2018
In this special edition of 7.30 we travel to Australia's drought zones
to capture the harshness of life on the land when it stops raining, and
the unimaginable resilience it takes to endure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gByMrCKkZco

[Coal Wire Editor's note]
*CoalWire
<https://mailchi.mp/8cd89c3fbd05/munich-re-and-lloyds-step-back-from-coal-us-coal-use-plummets-calls-for-holcim-coal-spill-clean-up?e=94e2a8c6ad>*
The good news of the week is the growing number of financial
institutions, most notably *Munich Re and Lloyds Banking Group, paring
back their support for the coal industry*. In the US, the Tennessee
Valley Authority has flagged that it does not envisage the need for any
major new plants other than renewables over the next 20 years. The US
Energy Information Administration has revealed that coal consumption has
plummeted by over one-third over the last decade. In Taiwan, the
government is now grudgingly conceding that public opposition to a new
coal plant has to be reckoned with.
The transition is far from smooth, though. The revelation in the latest
CoalSwarm coal plant data that some previously suspended coal plants in
China are now being built despite the existing massive overcapacity is
alarming. Even if the plants eventually run at a reduced capacity, huge
amounts of scarce capital will have been wasted to provide a short-term
economic boost from building them...
- - -
Coal controversies keep on rolling along. In South Korea, the major
public utility KEPCO is facing an investigation into whether it, among
other importers, breached United Nations sanctions on coal imports from
North Korea. In the US, a coal company has been revealed to have
secretly been bankrolling opposition to a wind farm in Ohio. In
Indonesia, the global cement company Holcim is facing calls to clean up
a major coal spill in a bay in Aceh province. In the Philippines a
Holcim subsidiary has acknowledged it spilled coal into the ocean from a
cement plant storage area.
https://mailchi.mp/8cd89c3fbd05/munich-re-and-lloyds-step-back-from-coal-us-coal-use-plummets-calls-for-holcim-coal-spill-clean-up?e=94e2a8c6ad

[opinion]
*Don't despair - climate change catastrophe can still be averted
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/07/climate-change-catastrophe-political-will-grassroots-engagement>*
Simon Lewis
The future looks fiery and dangerous, according to new reports. But
political will and grassroots engagement can change this...
As a research scientist in this field, I can give some nuance to the
headlines. One common way of thinking about climate change is the lower
the future carbon dioxide emissions, the less warming and the less havoc
we will face as this century progresses. This is certainly true, but as
the summer heatwave and the potential hothouse news remind us, the
shifts in climate we will experience will not be smooth, gradual and
linear changes. They may be fast, abrupt, and dangerous surprises may
happen. However, an unstoppable globally enveloping cascade of
catastrophe, while possible, is certainly not a probable outcome...
- - -
Could civilisation weather this level of warming?
The honest answer is nobody knows. Dystopia is easy to envisage: for
example, Europe is not coping well with even modest numbers of migrants,
and future flows look likely to increase substantially as migration
itself is an adaptation to rapid climate change. How will the cooler,
richer parts of the world react to tens of millions of people escaping
the hotter, poorer parts? Throw into the mix long-term stagnating
incomes for most people across the west and climate-induced crop
failures causing massive food price spikes and we have a recipe for
widespread unrest that could overload political institutions...
- - - -
However, taking a step back from the gloom, we face the same three
choices in response to climate change as we did before this scorching
summer: reduce greenhouse gas emissions (mitigation), make changes to
reduce the adverse impacts of the new conditions we create (adaptation),
or suffer the consequences of what we fail to mitigate or adapt to. It
is useful to come back to these three options, and settle on the formula
that serious mitigation and wise adaptation means little suffering.

Despite this basic advice being decades old, we are heading for some
mitigation, very little adaptation, and a lot of suffering. Why is this
happening? This is because while the diagnosis of climate change being a
problem is a scientific issue, the response to it is not. Leaving fossil
fuels in the ground is, for example, a question of regulation, while
investing in renewable energy is a policy choice, and modernising our
housing stock to make it energy efficient is about overcoming the
lobbying power of the building industry. Solving climate change is about
power, money, and political will...
- - - -
Thinking about climate change as a practical political problem helps
avoid despair because we know that huge political changes have happened
in the past and continue to do so. The future is up to us if we act
collectively and engage in politics. To quote Antonio Gramsci: "I'm a
pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will."
Looked at this way, we can see the politics as a battle between a future
shaped by fear versus a future shaped by hope.

That hope is built on a better story of the future and routes to enact
it. The outline of this story is that given the colossal wealth and the
scientific knowledge available today, we can solve many of the world's
pressing problems and all live well. Given that our environmental
impacts are so long-lasting, the future is the politics we make today.
Simon Lewis is professor of global change science at University College
London and the University of Leeds, and co-authored The Human Planet:
How We Created the Anthropocene (Pelican) with Mark Maslin
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/07/climate-change-catastrophe-political-will-grassroots-engagement

*NEWS Wildfire Smoke Detected in Majority of U.S. States
<https://weather.com/news/news/2018-08-07-wildfire-smoke-detected-majority-us-states>*
Western wildfires are sending their smoke plumes across much of the
United States.
This is causing unhealthy air quality in parts of the West, as well as
unworldly sunrises and sunsets.
https://weather.com/news/news/2018-08-07-wildfire-smoke-detected-majority-us-states

[Nature Communications]
Published: 02 August 2018
*Wildfire as a major driver of recent permafrost thaw in boreal
peatlands <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05457-1>*
Abstract

    Permafrost vulnerability to climate change may be underestimated
    unless effects of wildfire are considered. Here we assess impacts of
    wildfire on soil thermal regime and rate of thermokarst bog
    expansion resulting from complete permafrost thaw in western
    Canadian permafrost peatlands. Effects of wildfire on permafrost
    peatlands last for 30 years and include a warmer and deeper active
    layer, and spatial expansion of continuously thawed soil layers
    (taliks). These impacts on the soil thermal regime are associated
    with a tripled rate of thermokarst bog expansion along permafrost
    edges. Our results suggest that wildfire is directly responsible for
    2200 ± 1500 km2 (95% CI) of thermokarst bog development in the study
    region over the last 30 years, representing ~25% of all thermokarst
    bog expansion during this period. With increasing fire frequency
    under a warming climate, this study emphasizes the need to consider
    wildfires when projecting future circumpolar permafrost thaw.

[Bulletin of Atomic Scientists bring more criticism of NYTimes]
*"Losing Earth" lost sight of some climate change villains, but not the
scope of the problem
<https://thebulletin.org/2018/08/losing-it-lost-sight-of-some-climate-change-villains-but-not-the-scope-of-the-problem/>*
By John Mecklin, August 6, 2018
If inspiring responses from prominent journalists is a measure of
success - and it can be, in some circumstances - the New York Times
Magazine's issue-length retrospective, "Losing Earth: The Decade We
Almost Stopped Climate Change," is, to borrow a Hollywood term, a smash
hit. In part because of the Times' early promotional efforts (which
included a high-production-value video, complete with ominous
soundtrack), Nathaniel Rich's article became a journalistic item of note
even before it was published on Sunday.
- - - - -
Most of the criticism of the 30,000-word history focused on its
conclusion, which many commentators saw as downplaying the role of the
oil and gas industry and the Republican Party in making sure nothing
substantive or sweeping was done about climate change and overplaying
the human propensity not to deal with problems that will not fully
manifest til far in the future. The headlines of the pieces give some
notion of the scope and fervor of response to Rich's opus:

    The Problem with The New York Times' Big Story on Climate Change: By
    portraying the early years of climate politics as a tragedy, the
    magazine lets Republicans and the fossil-fuel industry off the hook.
    (The Atlantic)
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/nyt-mag-nathaniel-rich-climate-change/566525/?utm_source=twb>

    Scientists aren't impressed with New York Times' new story on
    climate change: Experts label 30,000-word piece "historically
    inaccurate" and "based on logical non sequiturs." (Think Progress
    <https://thinkprogress.org/scientists-slam-new-york-times-climate-story-for-whitewashing-role-of-big-oil-and-gop-63fbc3a85b09/>)

    Mag prints 70-page climate story, leaves some unsatisfied
    (CLIMATEWIRE/E&E News
    <https://www.eenews.net/climatewire/stories/1060091933?t=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eenews.net%2Fstories%2F1060091933>)

    What the New York Times Magazine Got Right, and Wrong, in its
    Climate Change History: While it expands the conversation to include
    a broader audience, the piece lets the industries that worked to
    hinder progress mostly off the hook. (Undark
    <https://undark.org/article/new-york-times-magazine-climate-change/>)

As if to rub salt in the wound, an Independent Petroleum Association of
America publication came out in support of Rich's take (even while
misstating it to significant degree):

    BOMBSHELL: NEW YORK TIMES DEBUNKS #EXXONKNEW CLIMATE CAMPAIGN
    (Energy in Depth/Climate and Environment
    <http://eidclimate.org/bombshell-new-york-times-debunks-exxonknew-climate-campaign/>)

Though I agree that Rich's piece fundamentally missed the mark on
explaining why the US government didn't move to address climate change
substantively and early, I think the article has redeeming qualities
that make it worth the time it takes to read. It provides an interesting
window into how the scientists and activists interested in sparking
action on climate change had to scheme and plot to have any chance of
getting the subject played prominently in major American media (a
situation that still - sadly, so sadly - exists even today). And "Losing
Earth" comes right out and states the climate change stakes - explains
the wholesale diminishment of human civilization that will occur, if
action isn't taken - in a way that most major American media seem afraid
to broach, even yet, even now. Here's an example of Rich's admirable
directness, which is only one of many reasons to read an article that,
flawed though it may be, is the finely crafted result of 18 months of work:

If by some miracle we are able to limit warming to two degrees, we will
only have to negotiate the extinction of the world's tropical reefs,
sea-level rise of several meters and the abandonment of the Persian
Gulf. The climate scientist James Hansen has called two-degree warming
"a prescription for long-term disaster." Long-term disaster is now the
best-case scenario. Three-degree warming is a prescription for
short-term disaster: forests in the Arctic and the loss of most coastal
cities. Robert Watson, a former director of the United Nations
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, has argued that three-degree
warming is the realistic minimum. Four degrees: Europe in permanent
drought; vast areas of China, India and Bangladesh claimed by desert;
Polynesia swallowed by the sea; the Colorado River thinned to a trickle;
the American Southwest largely uninhabitable. The prospect of a
five-degree warming has prompted some of the world's leading climate
scientists to warn of the end of human civilization.
https://thebulletin.org/2018/08/losing-it-lost-sight-of-some-climate-change-villains-but-not-the-scope-of-the-problem/

[Video DW documentary ]
*Summer of extremes - crowded beaches and failing crops
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjkvSmYdiM>*
DW Documentary
Published on Aug 6, 2018
Germany is in the throes of a scorching heatwave. For seaside resorts,
it's a boon. But farmers fear massive crop losses and demand billions in
aid.
High temperatures across the country - good news for some but a disaster
for others. The scene is almost apocalyptic on some of Germany's farms:
burning grain fields, dried-up soil and withered crops. In some areas,
nothing is growing at all any more, while animals suffer in the dry
heat. Home gardeners have been desperately watering their plants while
city authorities are calling on their residents to water the trees in
the streets. Barbecues are banned due to the risk of wildfires in many
of Germany's city parks, and fireworks displays have had to be canceled.
And there seems to be no end to the sweltering heat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjkvSmYdiM

[heatwave heat opinion]
*The apocalyptic tone of heatwave-reporting doesn't go far enough - not
when the issue is human extinction
<https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/heatwave-weather-report-human-extinction-issue-a8478271.html>*
The threat of the destruction of the earth isn't new, but its speed is.
The last such event took around 60,000 years. Now it's happening in real
time
Richard Seymour
This summer, the arctic burned
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/a-global-heat-wave-has-set-the-arctic-circle-on-fire.html>.
Boreal forests, usually caked in ice, were charred. Further south, from
Quebec <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44731929>to Japan
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44935152>, hundreds of people
dropped like scorched flies in the heat, as though under a giant
magnifying glass. Across Europe, the same: deaths, drought and crop
failure
<https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/german-farmers-nature-suffering-unusual-heat-wave-56932517>.

As heatwaves multiply
<https://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=5795&id=201309&p=https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/27/heatwave-made-more-than-twice-as-likely-by-climate-change-scientists-find>in