[TheClimate.Vote] August 10, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Aug 10 10:29:21 EDT 2018

/August 10, 2018/

[Firenado video is dramatically alarmist and terrifying - for 5 mins]
*Fire Tornado's sighted in California, England, Australia Strongest
tornado in California's history
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAjgAQxXRE>*
Climate State
Published on Aug 9, 2018
A tornado? Scary. Wildfire? Horrific. A tornado made out of fire? Just
about the most terrifying thing Mother Nature can whip
up.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/08/03/californias-carr-fire-may-have-unleashed-the-most-intense-fire-tornado-ever-observed-in-the-u-s/?utm_term=.def8dc89ca9f

California's Viral Fire Tornado Has Scientists Searching For Answers -
Fire tornados are among the rarest weather phenomena on Earth, and this
vortex had the added distinction of possibly being the strongest
tornado-like thing in California's history.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/californias-viral-fire-tornado-has-scientists-searching-1828096118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAjgAQxXRE
- - - -
[pyrocumulonimbus thunderclouds]
*California's Viral Fire Tornado Has Scientists Searching For Answers
<https://earther.gizmodo.com/californias-viral-fire-tornado-has-scientists-searching-1828096118>*
Exactly how the tornado-like vortex spun up is still being worked out,
and we may never be totally sure. University of Nevada Reno atmospheric
scientist Neil Lareau put together an analysis based on Doppler radar
data that suggests it formed like a landspout tornado, with an area of
horizontal wind shear near the ground getting stretched vertically by a
powerful updraft, and eventually connecting with the cloud system above.
Others have described the firenado's formation as similar to that of a
more powerful supercell tornado, which are generated by rotating
updrafts within thunderstorms.
- - -
Henson told Earther he thought the vortex could have had elements of
both supercell and landspout tornado.
- - -
"This is definitely about as strong as you'd expect a landspout-type
tornado to get," Henson said. "That's why it feels like a hybrid to me."
Either way, the vortex was a beast. A preliminary analysis by National
Weather Service and CalFire estimated maximum wind-speeds in excess of
143 mph, making it the equivalent of an EF-3 on an intensity scale of
0-5. The twister lasted over an hour, toppling power lines and uprooting
trees.
- - - -
To some, the freak event felt like an harbinger of a hotter, more
dangerous future. But while climate change is having a clear impact on
fire season, connections to rare fire tornado events are more tenuous.
As Clements put it, "if it was just climate and fuel driving tornados,
every fire would have a tornado."
https://earther.gizmodo.com/californias-viral-fire-tornado-has-scientists-searching-1828096118

[Big push changes in California]
*California's energy future is up for grabs. Here are the bills that
could pass in the next 3 weeks.
<https://www.desertsun.com/story/tech/science/energy/2018/08/09/california-energy-bills-could-pass-next-3-weeks-sb-100-ab-813/920160002/>*
https://www.desertsun.com/story/tech/science/energy/2018/08/09/california-energy-bills-could-pass-next-3-weeks-sb-100-ab-813/920160002/

[Democracy Now has the best video report, current, informed 20 mins]
*Experts: If We Don't Stop Climate Change, CA Fires "Will Seem Mild In
Comparison to What's Coming" <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hh-jREctTo>*
Democracy Now!
Published on Aug 9, 2018
https://democracynow.org - The Mendocino Complex Fire in Northern
California is now the largest wildfire ever recorded in California's
history. It started burning in July - the state's hottest month on
record. Of the 20 largest wildfires in California history, 15 have
occurred since 2000.
[Gov Brown press conference 1:20 https://youtu.be/-Hh-jREctTo?t=1m30s ]

    We're in for a really rough ride
    and it's gonna get expensive
    it's gonna get dangerous
    and we have to apply all our creativity to making the best out of
    what is going to be an increasingly bad situation
    not just for California but for people all over America and all over
    the world

This year's fires have already burned nearly three times as many acres
as the same time last year. Experts say climate change has increased the
length of fire season. In Oakland, California, we speak with Michael
Brune, the director of the Sierra Club.

  We also speak with Michael Mann, distinguished professor of
atmospheric science at Penn State University and author of "The Madhouse
Effect: How Climate Change Denial is Threatening our Planet, Destroying
Our Politics, and Driving us Crazy."
[Michael Mann:]

    Here's this longer-term commitment:
    Much of that CO2 that we've put into the atmosphere is going to
    remain in the atmosphere for
    thousands of years. If we keep that CO2 elevated at levels they are now
    or even higher than they are now
    then we could see major disruptions in the climate again
    The science there isn't new but it's important, and what it tells us
    is not only do we have to cut our emissions dramatically
    to avoid warming the planet more than catastrophic two degrees
    Celsius - three and a half degree Fahrenheit -
    we can still do that, Paris will get us halfway there,
    we have to improve on Paris to get all the way there
    we can do that but it isn't enough just to level off those CO2
    concentrations
    ultimately we're gonna have to pull that CO2 back out of the atmosphere
    if we leave it at current levels for centuries we will commit
    potentially to catastrophic changes in our climate

DemocracyNow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hh-jREctTo

[video International broadcaster.. video 3 min]
*'Hothouse Earth': Has climate change reached the point of no return? |
DW English <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJwK38uWZw>*
DW English
Published on Aug 8, 2018
Scientists warn that "Hothouse Earth" will be the irreversible result of
climate change. Communities around the world are facing biblical drought
and fire resulting from record temperatures, DW asked Climate Analytics
researcher Claire Fyson if we still have time to prevent the worst.
For more on this topic, go to: https://p.dw.com/p/32ahQ "Brace yourself
for more record heat"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJwK38uWZw

[Invasive species]
*Invasive crayfish lead to more mosquitoes and risk of disease in
Southern California
<https://phys.org/news/2018-08-invasive-crayfish-mosquitoes-disease-southern.html>*
August 7, 2018, University of California, Los Angeles
Invasive red swamp crayfish are a serious problem in the Santa Monica
Mountains and other parts of Southern California. They devastate native
wildlife, including threatened species such as the California red-legged
frog, throwing off the natural balance of ecosystems.
They also pose a threat to people, according to a new paper in the
journal Conservation Biology. The study is based on field research in
the Santa Monica Mountains and lab experiments at UCLA La Kretz Center
for California Conservation Science.
Mosquitos are notorious vectors that spread diseases such as malaria,
Zika and West Nile virus. In the mountains, mosquito populations are
kept in check by dragonfly nymphs, which voraciously consume their
aquatic larvae. But invasive crayfish disrupt that predator-prey
relationship, killing and driving dragonfly nymphs from waterways. And
while crayfish also consume mosquito larvae, they're simply not as good
at it, the researchers found.
"A lot of people don't know this but before dragonflies are flying
around and beautiful, they actually are these voracious predators in
streams and ponds," said Gary Bucciarelli, a UCLA conservation biologist
and the paper's lead author. "They do a great job of preying on other
invertebrates in the streams we work on."
- - - -
After noticing that streams with the crayfish had almost no dragonfly
nymphs and lots of mosquito larvae, Bucciarelli and other scientists
decided to investigate further. They looked at 13 streams in the Santa
Monica Mountains...
Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2018-08-invasive-crayfish-mosquitoes-disease-southern.html#jCp
- - --
*Invasive Crayfish Increase Number of Mosquitoes in Southern California
Mountains
<https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/invasive-crayfish-increase-number-mosquitoes-southern-california-mountains>*
https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/invasive-crayfish-increase-number-mosquitoes-southern-california-mountains
- - - -
[Slap, wave, slather]
*U.S. Faces a Rise in Mosquito 'Disease Danger Days'
<http://www.climatecentral.org/news/us-faces-a-rise-in-mosquito-disease-danger-days-21903>*
Published: August 8th, 2018
Research Report by Climate Central
Download report PDF
<http://assets.climatecentral.org/pdfs/August2018_CMN_Mosquitoes.pdf>
Among the many consequences of human-caused climate change is a change
in the pattern, incidence and location of some diseases spread by biting
mosquitoes, ticks and flies. These diseases pose a significant public
health challenge globally, including in the United States.
The number of mosquito "disease danger days" is increasing across much
of the U.S. as temperatures rise, representing a greater risk for
transmission of mosquito-borne diseases. And even though mosquitoes are
often just an itch-inducing nuisance, the consequences can be deadly...
- - - -
To examine the role temperature is playing in disease transmission from
mosquitoes, Climate Central analyzed the number of days each year in the
spring, summer, and fall with an average temperature between 61 degrees
and 93 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the range for transmission of
diseases spread by mosquitoes of the Aedes or Culex type. Of the 244
cities analyzed, 94 percent are seeing an increase in the number of
days, indicating a heightened risk for disease transmission, or "disease
danger days."...
- - - -
Temperature plays a major role in the viability of mosquitoes' range and
survival, and can affect mosquitoes at every stage of their life cycle.
Because of this, rising temperatures due to climate change are changing
mosquito habits and disease spread.
For Aedes mosquitoes, development and survival is limited to
temperatures above 50 degrees Fahrenheit and below 102 degrees for Aedes
aegypti, and above 59 degrees but below 95 degrees for Aedes albopictus.
For these two related species, peak rates for various parts of their
life cycle generally occur between 73 degrees and 93 degrees.
Culex mosquitoes thrive in temperatures between 50 degrees and 95
degrees.. Though adults survive for the longest time at temperatures
between 60 degrees and 68 degrees, studies have found that they develop
fastest at temperatures between 82 degrees and 89 degrees.
- - - - -
Hotter temperatures also generally decrease the time it takes for a
virus to be transmittable from the mosquito to humans. Rising
temperatures shorten how long it takes for the virus to develop inside
the insect, known as the Extrinsic Incubation Period (EIP), which
increases the number of mosquitoes that survive long enough to become
infectious. Each virus has a unique EIP which is optimized at a
different temperature. For example, the EIP of dengue virus is shortest
at 95 degrees. Increasing temperatures have been shown to increase West
Nile virus infection, dissemination and transmission rates up to at
least 89 degrees. Zika virus's optimal EIP and range go even hotter -
peaking at 97 degrees.. Mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus would still
become infectious at 108 degrees, except mosquitoes themselves cannot
survive in that heat. Still, by changing life cycle rates and EIP,
temperatures alter the transmission rates of these dangerous diseases...
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/us-faces-a-rise-in-mosquito-disease-danger-days-21903
- - -
[Research Article]
*Detecting the impact of temperature on transmission of Zika, dengue,
and chikungunya using mechanistic models
<http://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0005568>*
http://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0005568

[video]
*Wildfires Found to Speed Rate of Permafrost Thaw
<https://youtu.be/b-c0nHt0LLo>*
Robert Fanney
Published on Aug 8, 2018
Observed increasing wildfires in the Arctic are, according to a recent
scientific study, speeding the rate at which Permafrost thaws.
https://youtu.be/b-c0nHt0LLo
- - - -
[from "The Count"]
*Ten ways climate change can make wildfires worse
<https://phys.org/news/2018-08-ten-ways-climate-wildfires-worse.html>*
August 8, 2018
As out-of-control wildfires ravage large swathes of Portugal, Spain and
northern California, AFP talked to scientists about the ways in which
global warming can amplify the problem...
"The patient was already sick," in the words of David Bowman, a
professor of environmental change biology at the University of Tasmania
and a wildfire expert.
"But climate change is the accelerant."

    *More fuel*
    Dry weather means more dead trees, shrubs and grass - and more fuel
    for the fire.
    *Change of scenery*
    To make matters worse, new species better adapted to semi-arid
    conditions grow in their place.
    *Thirsty plants*
    With rising mercury and less rain, water-stressed trees and shrubs
    send roots deeper into the soil, sucking up every drop of water they
    can to nourish leaves and needles.
    *Longer season*
    In the northern hemisphere's temperate zone, the fire season was
    historically short - July and August, in most places.
    *More lightning*
    "The warmer it gets, the more lightning you have," said Mike
    Flannigan, a professor at the University of Alberta, Canada and
    director of the Western Partnership for Wildland Fire
    Science...Worldwide, he notes, 95 percent of wildfires are started
    by humans.
    *Weakened jet stream*
    "We are seeing more extreme weather because of what we call blocked
    ridges, which is a high-pressure system in which air is sinking,
    getting warmer and drier along the way," said Flannigan.
    "Firefighters have known for decades that these are conducive to
    fire activity."
    One of these blocked ridges, he added, will be parked over the
    Pacific Northwest for the next ten days, according to forecasts.
    *Unmanageable intensity*
    climate change not only boosts the likelihood of wildfires, but
    their intensity as well.
    "If the fire gets too intense - and we are seeing this in California
    right now, and saw it in Greece a few weeks ago - there is no direct
    measure you can take to stop it," said Flannigan.
    "It's like spitting on a campfire."
    *Beetle infestations*
    With rising temperatures, beetles have moved northward into Canada's
    boreal forests, wreaking havoc - and killing trees - along the way.
    "Bark beetle outbreaks temporarily increase forest flammability by
    increasing the amount of dead material, such as needles," said Williams.
    *Positive feedback*
    Globally, forests hold about 45 percent of Earth's land-locked
    carbon and soak up a quarter of human greenhouse gas emissions.
    But as forest die and burn, some of the carbon is released back into
    the atmosphere, contributing to climate change in a vicious loop
    that scientists call "positive feedback."

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-ten-ways-climate-wildfires-worse.html

[important point]
*This summer's wildfire and heat catastrophes are NOT the new normal,
they are... <http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/update>*
POSTED BY L SHEIN - AUGUST 06, 2018
Each month we try to present a short news update and a few key facts to
help you understand and manage our current global warming emergency.
What you are seeing this summer is...
This month's critical update is:
What you are seeing in the California, Greek, Finish, and Canadian
wildfires and the heat extremes in Japan, Taiwan, and the Middle East
are not the new normal for the climate!
- - - -
What you are seeing is the*beginning of chains of global warming
consequences which are beginning and will continue to increase
exponentially in their severity, frequency, and scale across the globe.*
This means what you are seeing right now is NOT the new normal and
global warming is going to get much, much worse.
http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/update

[Climate Liability News]
*Costs of Extreme Heat Are Huge, But Hard to Quantify
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/08/09/extreme-heat-climate-costs-liability/>*
Many of the estimates come from cities that have filed climate liability
suits, seeking to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable for those
costs. New York City, for one, estimates in its complaint that its heat
mitigation initiative, Cool Neighborhoods NYC, will cost more than $100
million and it tallies another $100 million in related public health
care costs.
The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that heat may cost 1.8
labor hours per person across the U.S. workforce by 2100, which equates
to $170 billion in lost wages. Millions of Americans have jobs that
require outdoor work, which leaves them vulnerable to intense heat.
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/08/09/extreme-heat-climate-costs-liability/

[book review]
KNPR's State of Nevada
*Speaking of Climate Change…
<https://knpr.org/knpr/2018-08/speaking-climate-change>*
But the most important myth to debunk, in Masri's opinion, is that
there's nothing individuals can do now to change the ultimate outcome of
climate change.
"There is a variety of things that we can do to affect the climate," he
said. "It's not a guaranteed path in one direction. That direction
depends on how we act today."
He said his work is not meant to convert climate deniers, which only
represent 10 percent of the population. Although this minority is vocal,
contributing to the illusion of dissent, Masri said, "There's a silent
majority that accepts the notion of climate change. Those who are quiet
are the ones we're trying to reach, wake up, and mobilize."
- - - -
The way to do this, he believes, is through conversations about what's
going on, and people's concerns.
"Silence is the worst thing we can do," Masri said. "When people aren't
talking about climate change, they're not looking at it at the polls,
looking at what candidates' perspectives on it are."
He'd also like people to know about the opportunities to be positive.
The transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy will create jobs,
improve air quality, and generally increase humans' quality of life, he
noted.
https://knpr.org/knpr/2018-08/speaking-climate-change
- - - - -
Overview
BEYOND DEBATE: Answers to 50 Misconceptions on Climate Change by Dr.
Shahir Masri
What if volcanoes are heating the planet? Maybe solar cycles are to
blame? Isn't carbon dioxide good for plants? These are but a few of the
questions on global warming that are addressed in this book. If you are
concerned that global warming may be a serious problem, but find it hard
to know what to believe or how to help in the face of conflicting
arguments, you will want to read this book. You don't have to be a
scientist to understand Dr. Shahir Masri's explanations and solutions.
They proceed along common-sense lines that are easy to follow.
Climate change poses a major threat to public health and the
environment. Yet, political squabbles and misinformation have stalled
policy and enabled little progress to be made in solving the crisis.
Similarly, the notion of a "climate debate" has created the illusion of
a divided scientific community, when in fact most scientists agree that
human activity is causing the planet to warm. At a time when open
discussion is essential, talk of global warming has become entrenched in
politics and all but taboo in unfamiliar company.
In Beyond Debate, Shahir Masri clears up 50 of the most common
misconceptions surrounding climate change. He simplifies the science and
resolves the confusion so that everyone may better understand the issue.
Now is not the time for silence, but rather a time for conversation and
collective action to address greenhouse gas emissions and begin to solve
the climate crisis. Action begins with understanding, which Beyond
Debate so eloquently offers. Masri conveys a sense of urgency while
describing opportunities for hope.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beyond-debate-dr-shahir-masri/1129111969

*This Day in Climate History - August 10, 2013
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-may-increase-violence-new-study-finds/>
- from D.R. Tucker*

August 10, 2013:

CBS News reports on a new study linking rising temperatures to more
violence.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-may-increase-violence-new-study-finds//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that