[TheClimate.Vote] August 12, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Aug 12 11:58:21 EDT 2018

/August 12, 2018/

[CNN Opinion]
*We're dangerously unprepared for the heat crisis from climate change
<https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/opinions/cities-dangerously-overheating-climate-change-redlener-ratner/index.html>*
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/opinions/cities-dangerously-overheating-climate-change-redlener-ratner/index.html

[grave warning]
*Ignore the climate change deniers. California's hellish summer really
is a grave warning
<http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-climate-action-08122018-story.html>*
By Steve Lopez - Aug 11, 2018
*Reaction has fallen into the following [4] categories:*

    -(There is no climate change, and I'm a stooge to have fallen for a
    hoax.)
    -(Global warming exists, but it's not man-made).
    -(Climate change is real, but it's silly to believe California's
    environmental zealotry can measurably improve a global problem.)
    -And lastly, if climate change is real and it's here, what can we do
    about it legislatively and individually?

- - - - -
California isn't waiting. The state has long led the way on embracing
renewable energy sources and limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Then
there's the current legislation demanding better gas mileage in the near
future, which is under attack by the Trump administration. But as a
single state in a world of major polluters, can going green make a
difference?
Alex Hall, a UCLA climate scientist, has no doubt.
"I think what's happening in California is wonderful," said Hall, who
traded his gas-hungry car for a Chevy Bolt. "It's a pathway forward."
Environmentalism isn't sacrifice, Hall said. It's change. And in
charting a course toward renewable energy and lower greenhouse gas
emissions, California is setting an agenda.
"If you look at any transformation in history, it hasn't happened all at
once everywhere," Hall said. "It's been a small group of people
committed to change. They've made change in their communities and it
scaled up from there."
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-climate-action-08122018-story.html

*DNC reverses ban on fossil fuel donations
<http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/401356-dnc-passes-resolution-on-fossil-fuel-donations>*
"The DNC's executive committee voted to approve the original resolution,
30 to 2."...
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) overwhelmingly passed a
resolution on Friday evening saying it welcomes donations from fossil
fuel industry workers and "employers' political action committees."
Critics of the newly passed resolution are calling it a reversal of the
DNC's recently adopted ban on accepting donations from fossil fuel
companies' political organizations...
"I am furious that the DNC would effectively undo a resolution passed
just two months ago just as the movement to ban fossil fuel corporate
PAC money is growing (and Democrats are winning),"  and a co-author of
the June resolution, said.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/401356-dnc-passes-resolution-on-fossil-fuel-donations

[More NYTimes fallout]
*How Not to Talk About Climate Change
<https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/08/new-york-times-losing-earth-response-climate-change>*
BY ALYSSA BATTISTONI
The New York Times Magazine claims in a blockbuster new article that
democracy and human nature are to blame for the climate crisis. They're
wrong.
- - - -
So yes, it's good that the New York Times is putting serious resources
into climate reporting. But it is way too late in the game to be running
pieces like this. This isn't just a missed opportunity or a partial
story - it is the wrong story. It is frankly irresponsible to tell
readers that once, a team of elites almost "solved" climate change until
"we" got in the way, particularly when the story in question suggests
nothing of the kind. It is even more irresponsible to suggest that the
time to save the planet passed over three decades ago, all while sighing
grandiosely about tragedy and the human condition. The earth is not lost
yet, and neither are we.
But if we're going to do something about it, we have to know how we got
here. And you cannot tell the story of climate change without telling
the story of twentieth-century capitalism - at the very least. You
cannot understand the politics of the 1980s in the United States without
understanding neoliberalism. So if you find yourself reading about
climate change and come across a phrase like "we came so close, as a
civilization, to breaking our suicide pact with fossil fuels," take a
minute to ask: which "civilization," exactly?
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/08/new-york-times-losing-earth-response-climate-change

[Top important news story of all times]
*A 'Hothouse' Future for Humanity: Scientists Behind Terrifying Climate
Analysis Hope They Are Wrong
<https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/08/07/hothouse-future-humanity-scientists-behind-terrifying-climate-analysis-hope-they-are>*
"This is, by far, the biggest political issue in the world. It is the
one thing that will affect everyone on the planet for centuries to come.
Why isn't everyone shouting it from the rooftops?"
by Jon Queally, staff writer
Warning of a possible domino effect as multiple climate feedback loops
are triggered within a dynamic cascade of rising temperatures and
warming oceans, scientists behind a frightening new study say that for
the sake of humanity's future they hope scenarios explored in their new
models do not come to pass.

"This study effectively suggests the human race could become extinct
this century and it's not even the top story on the fucking Guardian."
"I do hope we are wrong, but as scientists we have a responsibility to
explore whether this is real," Johan Rockstrom, executive director of
the Stockholm Resilience Centre, where the research was done, told the
Guardian. "We need to know now. It's so urgent. This is one of the most
existential questions in science."

Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the
new study, while not conclusive in its findings, warns that humanity may
be just 1C away from creating a series of dynamic feedback loops that
could push the world into a climate scenario not seen since the dawn of
the Helocene Period, nearly 12,000 years ago.

The research, according to its abstract, explores "the risk that
self-reinforcing feedbacks could push the Earth System toward a
planetary threshold that, if crossed, could prevent stabilization of the
climate at intermediate temperature rises and cause continued warming on
a 'Hothouse Earth' pathway even as human emissions are reduced. Crossing
the threshold would lead to a much higher global average temperature
than any interglacial in the past 1.2 million years and to sea levels
significantly higher than at any time in the Holocene."

As Rockstrom explains, the "tipping elements" examined in the research
"can potentially act like a row of dominoes. Once one is pushed over, it
pushes Earth towards another." And in an interview with the BBC, he
added,  "What we are saying is that when we reach 2 degrees of warming,
we may be at a point where we hand over the control mechanism to Planet
Earth herself. We are the ones in control right now, but once we go past
2 degrees, we see that the Earth system tips over from being a friend to
a foe. We totally hand over our fate to an Earth system that starts
rolling out of equilibrium."
- - - - -
Such feedback occurences, the authors of the study write, would pose
"severe risks for health, economies, political stability, and
ultimately, the habitability of the planet for humans."
- - - -
With Arctic ice and glaciers melting away; increasingly powerful and
frequent storms in the Atlantic and Pacific; coral reefs dying from
warming oceans; record-setting wildfires in the U.S.; unprecedented
heatwaves in Europe, the Middle East, and elsewhere-climate researchers
have been at the forefront of sounding the alarms about the frightening
path humanity is now following.

"In the context of the summer of 2018, this is definitely not a case of
crying wolf, raising a false alarm: the wolves are now in sight," said
Dr. Phil Williamson, a climate researcher at the University of East
Anglia, about the latest study. "The authors argue that we need to be
much more proactive in that regard, not just ending greenhouse gas
emissions as rapidly as possible, but also building resilience in the
context of complex Earth system processes that we might not fully
understand until it is too late."
- - - -
In order to avoid the worst-case scenarios, the researchers behind the
study say that "collective human action is required" to steer planet's
systems away from dangerous tipping points. "Such action," they write,
"entails stewardship of the entire Earth System-biosphere, climate, and
societies-and could include decarbonization of the global economy,
enhancement of biosphere carbon sinks, behavioral changes, technological
innovations, new governance arrangements, and transformed social values."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/08/07/hothouse-future-humanity-scientists-behind-terrifying-climate-analysis-hope-they-are

*
Hothouse Earth: seven things you can do to stop it
<https://theconversation.com/hothouse-earth-seven-things-you-can-do-to-stop-it-101340>*
August 10, 2018
While 1% of us may be able to consider their options for relocating to
more hospitable places on Earth (Silicon valley billionaires are buying
up property in New Zealand), or relatively less hospitable locations on
the moon and Mars, the others will have to do something, now.

Among the steps that can be taken immediately, you could consider:

    *1. Change your lifestyle*
    Not just attitudes and behaviours, we need to reconsider how we live
    our everyday lives. As we become more knowledgeable about the state
    of nature in our surroundings with deteriorating air, soil and water
    conditions, we need to think about changing the way we our families
    and our friends are contributing to the environment. Opt for an
    organic or vegetarian diet, support Fairtrade, and opt for locally
    sourced stuff.

    *2. Sow a seed or two*
    Growing fruit or vegetables in your front or back gardens, or in
    pots indoors, will not only liven up your living space and provide
    you with fresh, local produce. The increased photosynthesis
    increases carbon sink and contributes to reducing greenhouse gases.
    Even more so, do it as a community. Many local authorities are now
    encourage the greening of the abandoned lands and derelict areas.

    *3. Join a local collective*
    Or better still, start one. Transition Network is a good example of
    actions based on voluntary individual and collective participation.
    It began as a permaculture movement to reduce fossil fuels
    dependence, growing own food, sourcing locally, promoting social
    inclusion. Today it is one of the largest community-based networks,
    with presence all over the world.

    *4. Use public transport or cycle*
    Many towns and cities are now promoting different kinds of bike ride
    or sharing schemes. Sustainable transport solutions can help
    decrease car dependence besides reducing carbon footprint.

    *5. Help scientists with their research*
    Citizen science is increasingly becoming a valuable way of
    community-sourced and voluntary participation and research in all
    scientific disciplines. Contributions from everyday lives of
    citizens help scientists get out of their silos and find better
    solutions to complex and wicked problems.

    *6. Engage with your local and national politicians*
    Most of the political parties on a broad range of spectrum now
    understand and support the need for sustainable and healthy
    lifestyles to make our places better in social, economic and
    environmental terms. But political agendas are a reflection of what
    people demand. And what better way to empower ourselves than to use
    our voting rights responsibly?

    *7. Check out what the government is doing*
    Local and national governments are committed to improving the
    environment. Many towns and cities have signed up for the Covenant
    of Mayors, voluntarily agreeing to reduce emissions and using
    sustainable energy sources. Surprisingly, not many countries have
    sufficient legal structures in place for climate action. Among
    national strategies, the Well-being of Future Generations Act in
    Wales is often quoted as an exemplar of good policy and practice.

https://theconversation.com/hothouse-earth-seven-things-you-can-do-to-stop-it-101340

[95%  human caused- either deliberate or accidental]
*California wildfire said set by arsonist threatens community
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-wildfires/california-wildfire-said-set-by-arsonist-threatens-community-idUSKBN1KV0V0>*
Alex Dobuzinskis, Dan Whitcomb
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Southern California wildfire - which
authorities say was set by an arsonist with a grudge against a neighbor
- doubled in size overnight into Friday as crews built fire lines and
fought to protect thousands of homes in a lakefront community...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-wildfires/california-wildfire-said-set-by-arsonist-threatens-community-idUSKBN1KV0V0

[Book mention]
Who Do We Choose To Be?
*Facing Reality | Claiming Leadership | Restoring Sanity
<https://margaretwheatley.com/books-products/books/who-do-we-choose-to-be/>*
June 2017, Berrett-Koehler