[TheClimate.Vote] December 4, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Dec 4 11:02:31 EST 2018

/December 4, 2018/

[Full year test Australia encouraging]
*Tesla big battery turns one, celebrates $50 million in grid savings
<https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-big-battery-turns-one-celebrates-50-million-in-grid-savings-95920/>*
Giles Parkinson 30 November 2018
The Tesla big battery in South Australia on Friday celebrates its first
anniversary since swinging into action on November 30 last year - a day
before its official opening.
In that period, the 100MW/129MWh Tesla big battery - officially known as
the Hornsdale Power Reserve - has defied the critics and naysayers and
proved that it can make money, lower prices and boost grid security.
More than that, it has become a major signpost to the future of faster,
cheaper, smarter and cleaner grid.
The Tesla big battery - still the world's biggest lithium-ion battery -
officially exchanged contracts on December 1, but readers will remember
it was actually called into action a day earlier by the Australian
Energy Market Operator anxious to help it deal with potential grid issues.
- - -
What is already known is most of those savings have been achieved by
smashing the cartel of gas generators that was controlling prices in the
FCAS market.
The battery's presence means that a network constraint imposed in South
Australia that was repeatedly rorted by those generators is no longer
needed.or imposed.

Neoen revealed details of the battery's own performance when it issued
detailed documents to support its recent initial public offering.
That revealed total revenues of $A13 million in the January 1 to June 30
half year, including $2 million from its South Australia contract, and
another $10.8 million from its market operations, mostly from FCAS and
some from market arbitrage (buying low and selling into the peaks)...
https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-big-battery-turns-one-celebrates-50-million-in-grid-savings-95920/

[Video - long discussion intros for about 10 mins]
*Bernie Sanders LIVE Town Hall - Solving Our Climate Crisis | NowThis
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0IgDgyHEfc>*
NowThis News
Archive Streamed live Dec 3rd
Join Senator Bernie Sanders LIVE for a national town hall about the
current state of our climate crisis. Senator Sanders will be joined by
experts and environmental activists to discuss solutions for how we can
combat climate change and protect the planet.
Subscribe to NowThis: http://go.nowth.is/News_Subscribe
Joining Senator Sanders is actress and activist Shailene Woodley, author
and founder of 350.org Bill McKibben, CNN host and author Van Jones,
Union of Concerned Scientists Director of Climate Science Dr. Brenda
Ekwurzel, Congresswoman-Elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Earth Guardians
Youth Director Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, Scientific Director and CEO of
Ecologic Institute Dr. Camilla Bausch, and Dale Ross, mayor of
Georgetown, Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0IgDgyHEfc

[Continuing live 24 hour streaming]
DECEMBER 3RD & 4TH, 2018
*LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA <https://www.climaterealityproject.org/>*
We'll travel across the Earth for 24 hours to learn more about how
fossil fuels and climate change are creating unique health risks that
threaten the wellness of families and communities all over the world.
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/

[Scientific American observation]
*Should We Subsidize Nuclear Power to Fight Climate Change?
<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/should-we-subsidize-nuclear-power-to-fight-climate-change/>*
That's what some are advocating, but the arguments in favor of doing so
are flawed
By M. V. Ramana on December 3, 2018
- -
Renewables are not just getting cheaper, they are also quick to construct.
All these factors undermine the report's central assumption that nuclear
plants will be replaced by fossil fueled plants. To be fair, the UCS
report does call for periodically assessing whether continued support is
necessary and cost effective. But such support might already not be cost
effective. All told, the economic basis for subsidies is uncertain at
best; more likely, it is flawed. Either way, it may be best to get
onward with the transition from fossil fuels and nuclear power to
renewables.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/should-we-subsidize-nuclear-power-to-fight-climate-change/

[BBC says]
*Climate change: 'Trump effect' threatens Paris pact
<https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46384828>*
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres: "Climate change is a global
issue, we are all failing."...
- - -
The newly elected President of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, has sent mixed
messages about climate change. But in recent days, his government has
ruled out hosting next year's major climate conference.
The impact of populist governments on the climate change agenda was also
highlighted by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, speaking recently
to the BBC.
"It is clear to me that the world is more polarised, we have more and
more nationalist approaches being popular and winning elections or
having strong election results," he said.
"We see the trust between public opinion and institutions and also
international organisations being eroded and this has led, in my
opinion, to a lack of the necessary political will."...
- - -
"The world has seven billion people and over 190 nations, so they are
not the entire story - there has been extraordinary leadership on this
issue by India and China, countries that 10 years ago were being
pilloried for not acting on climate change."
The author of the new study says that the Paris deal will survive in the
short term.
"But in the longer term, without US support, the Paris agreement won't
ultimately be effective and we should be honest about that."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46384828

[GOP is Trumpism]
*'Just a lot of alarmism': Trump's skepticism of climate science is
echoed across GOP
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/just-a-lot-of-alarmism-trumps-skepticism-of-climate-science-is-echoed-across-gop/2018/12/02/f6ee9ca6-f4de-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html?utm_term=.bf75448e4422>*
By Matt Viser - December 2
Sen.-elect Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee said falsely in the lead-up to
her campaign that the Earth has started to cool, and argued inaccurately
that scientists have not reached a consensus on climate change.

In Florida, which has been pummeled by hurricanes, Sen.-elect Rick Scott
has acknowledged rising and warmer seas could be harmful to his state
but won't attribute it to human activity.

And Sen. John Neely Kennedy, who is expected to announce Monday whether
he will run for Louisiana governor, told reporters last week that while
the Earth may be getting hotter, "I've seen many persuasive arguments
that it's just a continuation of the warming up from the Little Ice Age."
As President Trump's rejection of climate science isolates the United
States on the world stage, illustrated by the small U.S. delegation
dispatched to this week's United Nations climate summit in Poland, he
has also presided over a transformation in the Republican Party --
placing climate change skepticism squarely in the GOP's ideological
mainstream.
Where the last Republican president, George W. Bush, acknowledged that
the Earth was warming and that "an increase in greenhouse gases caused
by humans is contributing to the problem," the prevailing GOP view
expressed on the campaign trail this year and espoused by many members
of Congress is built on the false premise that climate science is an
open question...
- - -
The skeptics' impact on U.S. policy has been laid bare in recent days.
Trump shrugged off his administration's 1,600-page report outlining the
severe threats of climate change. Then, over the weekend, his team
secured language in a joint statement issued by Group of 20 leaders over
the weekend carving out a separate U.S. position on climate goals and
reaffirming the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris climate accord...
- -
Danielle Pletka, a foreign policy expert at the conservative American
Enterprise Institute, was criticized last week after an appearance on
NBC's "Meet the Press" during which she questioned climate change and
said, "We shouldn't be hysterical."
In an interview, she said she was taken aback by the criticism, some of
which said she was wrong to claim that the world just experienced two of
the coldest years since the 1980s. PolitiFact, noting that they were
actually among the warmest, rated her claim false.
"I never realized this is an issue people are mentally incompetent,
verging on -- hysteria is not the right word, it's worse than that,"
Pletka said. "I don't know if it's all wrapped up with the antipathy
toward Trump and the Trump derangement that has afflicted so many
people."...
- - -
During an address before college students in St. Louis last year, Romney
said he was "concerned about the anti-scientific attitude" from members
of his party.
"I happen to believe that there is climate change, and I think humans
contribute to it in a substantial way, and therefore I look with
openness to all the ideas that might be able to address that," he said.
"The idea of doing nothing, in my view, is a recipe for disaster . . .
it's going to require presidential leadership."
But over the past week, Romney has not commented on Trump's comments or
the climate assessment that came out. He declined requests for an interview.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/just-a-lot-of-alarmism-trumps-skepticism-of-climate-science-is-echoed-across-gop/2018/12/02/f6ee9ca6-f4de-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html?utm_term=.bf75448e4422

[live coverage]
*United Nations Global Climate Action Events at COP24: Full Programme
<https://unfccc.int/climate-action/events/global-climate-action-events-at-cop24-full-programme-including-action-hub>*
In the heart of the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 24) in
Katowice, Poland, Global Climate Action (GCA) is hosting a lively
program of events, which will demonstrate how cities, regions,
businesses investors, and civil society are working - in harmony with
governments - to implement the Paris Agreement.
These events are all located around a cluster of venues, situated
between the main entrance and the plenaries (see the full map below),
which collectively act as a Global Climate Action campus. In total,
there are three closed-door venues, which all converge on an open
amphitheatre, called the Action Hub...
https://unfccc.int/climate-action/events/global-climate-action-events-at-cop24-full-programme-including-action-hub

[podcast]
The Response: Disaster collectivism and community resilience
<https://www.shareable.net/the-response>
The Response is a new podcast documentary series exploring the
remarkable communities that arise in the aftermath of natural disasters.
Spanning the globe, each episode takes a deep dive into a unique
location to uncover the remarkable stories that are hidden just beneath
the surface of extraordinary events.
For the first season, starting Oct. 2, our team of producers traveled to
New York, Puerto Rico, and California to investigate four key questions:

How have community members taken care of each in the aftermath of
disaster, aside from the official government responses?
How are communities finding the balance between the desire to get
back to normal as quickly as possible and rebuilding in ways that
ensures greater resilience and sustainability in the future?
How have disasters disproportionately impacted the most vulnerable
and what can be done to respond and rebuild in a just and equitable way?
How can communities prevent "disaster capitalists" -- those who seek
to profit from disasters -- from preying on them in the aftermath of
a crisis?

The Response is broadcasted nationwide on the syndicated radio show,
Making Contact. Find out when we'll be on your local airwaves here.
https://www.radioproject.org/
Stay up to date on everything related to The Response by subscribing to
Shareable's weekly newsletter
http://www.123formbuilder.com/form-4207503/Subscribe-To-Newsletter-Form-Source-The-Response-Podcast.
https://www.shareable.net/blog/the-response-disaster-collectivism-and-community-resilience
https://www.shareable.net/the-response

[filled up, pumped up or falls down]
*Indian Cities need multi-pronged efforts to conserve groundwater
<https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/25984/indian-cities-need-multi-pronged-efforts-to-conserve-groundwater>*
RANJAN PANDA - 12/02/2018
In India, as per a recent report of the Niti Ayog, 21 cities, including
the capital city, will run out of groundwater just in two years. It is
estimated that about 50 percent of urban drinking water is drawn from
groundwater sources.

Groundwater depletion is a major concern the world is facing now. A
scientific study published in 2014 found out that India is among the top
five countries where groundwater depletion was the highest in the first
decade of 21st century. The other countries are United States of
America, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and China. This study further found out
that the rate of global groundwater depletion in the study period
(2000-2009) is more than double in comparison to the period between 1960
and 2000. While the global groundwater depletion per year stayed at
around 56 km³ (cubic kilometres) per year during 1960-2000, it rose to
almost 113 km³ per year during 2000-2009. For India, this figure rose
from 21.70 km³ to 43.14 km³. What is more important, about 15 percent of
the globally abstracted groundwater was taken from non-renewable
groundwater during this period.

Another important scientific study by researchers from the University of
California, analysing data from NASA's GRACE satellite mission,
published in 2015, found out a decline in water reserves in 21 of the 37
largest aquifers of world since 2003 threatening water availability in
many regions.

For more than two billion people across the world aquifers are the
primary water source but the shocking reality is that key groundwater
basins in all the inhabited continents are being drained. According to
this study, the Ganges also faces a high rate of depleting groundwater
caused by dense cities and extensive irrigation...
- - -
We need to let rainwater seep into soil through natural ecosystem-based
conservation models in our cities, tighten our wastewater infrastructure
and prevent it from leaking, convert all our landfills into sanitary
landfill; and, most importantly, recycle, treat and reuse most of our
resources, be it water or daily use materials. Above all, there is an
urgent need for conservation and rejuvenation of existing wetlands and
green spaces. Further, creation of new water bodies and forests in urban
geographies are essential to fight groundwater depletion and contamination.
https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/25984/indian-cities-need-multi-pronged-efforts-to-conserve-groundwater
- - - -
See also FEWS NET
Famine Early Warning Systems Network
http://fews.net/

[For Dec 5th]
[First, decide to be resilient]
*The Science of Resilience in Decision-Making Webinar
<https://ssfonline.org/the-science-of-resilience-in-decision-making-9825>*
December 5, 2018 - 1:15pm - 2:45pm ET
Download Science of Resilience resources
We have created a folder of material you can download in preparation for
the webinar. It includes guidance co-authored by panelists, including:

     Tom Seager on resilience in decision-making
     Patricia Solis on how spatial information can help resolve
disconnects between scientists and decision makers
     A multi-disciplinary community resilience study of flooding in
Lumberton, NC, with a chapter co-authored by Jennifer Tobin
     The Army Corps of Engineers' Resilience Initiative Roadmap

https://ssfonline.org/the-science-of-resilience-in-decision-making-9825

[others were 14 yrs old]
*The Fifteen-Year-Old Climate Activist Who Is Demanding a New Kind of
Politics*
By Masha Gessen - October 2, 2018
Greta Thunberg's protest outside of Sweden's parliament building has
made climate change a topic of that country's daily conversation
Sometimes the world makes so little sense that the only thing to do is
engage in civil disobedience--even in a country as attached to its rules
and regulations as Sweden is. Fifteen-year-old Greta Thunberg has been
protesting for more than a month. Before the country's parliamentary
election on September 9th, she went on strike and sat on the steps of
the parliament building, in Stockholm, every day during school hours for
three weeks. Since the election, she has returned to school for four
days a week; she now spends her Fridays on the steps of parliament. She
is demanding that the government undertake a radical response to climate
change. She told me that a number of members of parliament have come out
to the steps to express support for her position, although every one of
them has said that she should really be at school. Her parents think so,
too, she said--that she should really go to school, though she is right
to protest.

Thunberg's parents are Svante Thunberg, an actor, and Malena Ernman, a
very well-known opera singer. Ernman has published a book in which she
described her family's struggle with her two daughters' special needs:
both Greta and her younger sister, Beata, have been diagnosed with
autism, A.D.H.D., and other conditions. In part because of her mother's
fame and the publicity that surrounded the publication of her book,
Greta's protest serves a dual purpose. It not only calls attention to
climate policy, as she intended, but it also showcases the political
potential of neurological difference. "I see the world a bit different,
from another perspective," she explained to me, in English. "I have a
special interest. It's very common that people on the autism spectrum
have a special interest."

Thunberg developed her special interest in climate change when she was
nine years old and in the third grade. "They were always talking about
how we should turn off lights, save water, not throw out food," she told
me. "I asked why and they explained about climate change. And I thought
this was very strange. If humans could really change the climate,
everyone would be talking about it and people wouldn't be talking about
anything else. But this wasn't happening." Turnberg has an uncanny
ability to concentrate, which she also attributes to her autism. "I can
do the same thing for hours," she said. Or, as it turns out, for years.
She began researching climate change and has stayed on the topic for six
years. She has stopped eating meat and buying anything that is not
absolutely necessary. In 2015, she stopped flying on airplanes, and a
year later, her mother followed suit, giving up an international
performing career. The family has installed solar batteries and has
started growing their own vegetables on an allotment outside the city.
To meet me in central Stockholm, Thunberg and her father rode their
bikes for about half an hour; the family has an electric car that they
use only when necessary.

Sweden prides itself on having some of the most progressive climate
legislation in the world: policies adopted over the last couple of years
aim to make Sweden "the first fossil-free welfare state in the world."
But there was relatively little discussion of climate policy in the
lead-up to the September election, even after Sweden was hit with an
unprecedented heat wave and catastrophic fires in July. Karin
Backstrand, a climate-policy researcher at Stockholm University, told me
that climate policy wasn't an election issue precisely because a broad
national consensus exists. "Everyone except the [far right] Swedish
Democrats agree that we should become fossil-free," she said.

Thunberg calls bullshit on the consensus. In our conversation, she
pointed out that, despite Sweden's progressive legislation and the
scientific consensus that rich countries must cut their emissions by
fifteen per cent a year, in Sweden actual emissions had gone up 3.6 per
cent in the first quarter of this year. She has written a piece called
"Sweden is not a role model," in which she points out that even the
best-laid plans to address climate change make no attempt to look beyond
the year 2050. "By then I will, in the best case, not even have lived
half my life," she wrote. "What happens next?"

It's true that emissions have risen this year, Backstrand said, because
Sweden is experiencing an economic boom. On the other hand, the country
has cut its emissions by twenty-six per cent since 1990, even while its
economy has grown. In just ten years, Sweden has increased its use of
renewable sources of energy by twelve per cent. The country is building
the world's first fossil-free steel plants. (To put this in context,
Backstrand noted that she had just returned from San Francisco, where
more than twenty thousand people, including the representatives of
dozens of national governments, attended the Global Climate Action
Summit, but no one from the Trump Administration attended; "Trump didn't
even tweet about it!" Backstrand said. Backstrand added that Thunberg's
"voice is needed, because until the fires and the drought, climate
change was priority number eight for Swedes. She is arguing that it
should be at the top, and she is right." Thunberg's strike has received
extensive coverage in Sweden; for the time being, she is a household
name, and climate change is a topic of daily conversation.

Thunberg's is a voice of unaccommodating clarity that reminds me of
Soviet-era dissidents. I suspect that some of them were also on the
spectrum, which in their case meant acting irrationally in the framework
of the Soviet system--risking their lives to make the doomed demand that
the country act in accordance with its written laws and declared ideals.
Thunberg smiled in recognition when I told her this. "I can become very
angry when I see things that are wrong," she said. On a recent class
trip to a museum exhibit on climate change, for example, she noticed
that some figures in the show--statistics on the carbon footprint of
meat production, for example--were wrong. "I became very angry, but I'm
quiet, so I just went to the exit and sat there by the doors. I didn't
say anything until people asked me." In general she prefers action to
conversation. In undertaking her school strike, she was inspired by the
protests staged by American high-school students in response to the
Parkland shooting this year--Thunberg's sit-in is also a walkout.

When Thunberg is at her now-famous post outside of parliament, people
come by to talk to her and bring her food. This has had an unexpected
effect: Thunberg, who generally eats the same things every day, has
tried new food. She surprised herself by doing this, and by finding that
she likes falafel and noodles.

In the weeks since the election, the Swedish political conversation has
centered on topics far from climate change: the main centrist parties
finished in a dead heat, making a far-right party, the Swedish
Democrats, which came in third, a potential power broker. Formerly rote
procedures such as choosing the speaker of parliament and appointing
cabinet members have come to overshadow any policy discussion. Thunberg
is peculiarly uninterested in this, though. "I think the election didn't
matter," she told me. "The climate is not going to collapse because some
party got the most votes. The politics that's needed to prevent the
climate catastrophe--it doesn't exist today. We need to change the
system, as if we were in crisis, as if there were a war going on."
Masha Gessen, a staff writer, has written several books, including, most
recently, "The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia,"
which won the National Book Award in 2017.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-fifteen-year-old-climate-activist-who-is-demanding-a-new-kind-of-politics

[position statement]
***Naomi Klein Interviews Bernie Sanders on Climate Change
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1YFLUmcOk>*
The Intercept
Published on Dec 3, 2018
"The bold moral leadership of newly-elected members of Congress like
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has me feeling more optimistic about our
collective chances of averting climate breakdown than I have in years,"
writes Naomi Klein. But a whole lot of things need happen very quickly
if the political tide is going to shift in time - including finding new
ways to engage the public in this fight. In this hopeful moment, Naomi
Klein had the opportunity to sit down with one of the few politicians
who has consistently focused on this issue -- Sen. Bernie Sanders. They
spoke at the Sanders Institute Gathering in Burlington, Vermont, this
weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1YFLUmcOk
- one noteworthy comment following the video from yours truly. Richard
Pauli - 13 hours ago

Slight correction:  when he says "climate change will impact
internationally, most significantly, the poorest people in the
world" -- instead it should say: "the poorest people in the world
FIRST, because then it will next impact the RICHEST people in the
world. And at that time, for the richest it will be a far WORSE and
more painful condition, far more destabilized when it's their turn
to suffer and die a few years later."  That's why the poor are so
smug and complacent, because we all know this is a universally
shared calamity. We may go soon, maybe in a few years from heat
stroke, or when we can't get water or shelter, or when an air
conditioner loses power because we cannot afford to live in a place
with a solar power system and a garden. Whereas the RICHEST, living
on only a few years more, will face more unfavorable situations --
choking in wildfire smoke ; and crumbling in social chaos that you
cannot control, and denied the blessings of communal survival that
you refuse to respect. Your wealthy individualism does not give you
invulnerability to the laws of thermodynamics. Or a passport through
the eye of a needle. Sorry. Go ahead, ask any scientist, or any
reasonably informed person - what is it about "progressively
destabilizing conditions" that you do not understand?  The FIRST
RULE of living on a globe is "Goes around, comes around."   Our
carbon fuel addiction, and flat-Earth thinking and resistance to
change has been killing us all.  But I don't think Bernie wants to
say that, or maybe he does, but just calling for responsible
civility is the least we might accomplish right now. Should WE ALL
decide we must survive, then maybe we have a chance - if only to
greatly extend our survival chances.  But first, this blundering
stupidity will have to stop.  Otherwise, our stubborn refusal to
take ruthless, decisive, and universal action will be our shared
epitaph. Any time is a good time to start, because "lessons not
learned, will be repeated". Until they are learned, or not. Globally.

[USAToday - Cheers!]
*Climate change could lead to 'a collapse of our civilization' according
to Sir David Attenborough*
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/12/03/climate-change-could-lead-collapse-civilization-said-david-attenborough/2195775002/

*This Day in Climate History - December 4, 2008
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M1n9KoDhU> - from D.R. Tucker*
  In his "Bushed" segment, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann notes:
"Number three, global warming-gate. The Energy Information
Administration has just finished compiling its data for 2007 and
U.S. greenhouse gas emissions are up 1.4 percent from 2006. Meaning
they're up 17 percent from 1990. When the 2006 emissions were down
one percent from 2005, Mr. Bush claimed the credit for that even
though it was an unusually warm winter and fuel prices were very
high. But now that the decrease for 2006 has been wiped out by the
increase for 2007, the president has, of course, announced it's all
his fault and he's very sorry. Ha! I'm kidding. He hasn't said boo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M1n9KoDhU