[TheClimate.Vote] January 15, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 15 10:36:42 EST 2018

/January 15, 2018/

*'It was like Niagara Falls': how California's rich and poor united
against a tide of mud
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/14/california-mudslides-montecito-verdugo-los-angeles>*
After wildfire and floods, nature has again taken its toll in
California, from the rustic Verdugo mountains to Montecito's celebrity homes
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/14/california-mudslides-montecito-verdugo-los-angeles

[TED Radio/Video Hour]
*Tim Kruger: How Do We Slow Climate Change Before It's Too Late?
<https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577435746/tim-kruger-how-do-we-slow-climate-change-before-its-too-late>*
To tackle climate change, geoengineer Tim Kruger is developing
technology that could remove large quantities of CO2 from the
atmosphere. But he says it takes unprecedented cooperation to make it work.
Could we cure climate change? Geoengineering researcher Tim Kruger wants
to try. He shares one promising possibility: using natural gas to
generate electricity in a way that takes carbon dioxide out of the air.
Learn more - both the potential and the risks - about this controversial
field that seeks creative, deliberate and large-scale intervention to
stop the already catastrophic consequences of our warming planet.

    KRUGER: And what most people don't realize is that the climate
    models that are used to understand how we can avoid crossing the
    2-degree threshold, they assume that we have technologies that can
    take carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.
    They assume it, at a massive scale. They assume that we can remove
    between 600 and 800 billion tons of carbon dioxide out of the
    atmosphere in the decades ahead. And these models are ones that also
    assume heroically optimistic levels of mitigation. So in reality we
    are going to need to remove trillions of tons, trillions of tons of
    carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in the decades ahead.

Video:
https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_kruger_can_we_stop_climate_change_by_removing_co2_from_the_air?language=en
Audio:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577435746/tim-kruger-how-do-we-slow-climate-change-before-its-too-late
Transcript:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577435746
-
*Ian Bremmer: What Happens When The World's Superpower No Longer Wants
To Lead?*
<https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436354/ian-bremmer-what-happens-when-the-worlds-superpower-no-longer-wants-to-lead>
Americanization and globalization have basically been the same thing for
the last several generations. But the US's view of the world -- and the
world's view of the US - is changing. In a fast-paced tour of the
current state of international politics, Ian Bremmer discusses the
challenges of a world where no single country or alliance can meet the
challenges of global leadership and asks if the US is ready to lead by
example, not by force.
Video:
https://www.ted.com/talks/ian_bremmer_how_the_us_should_use_its_superpower_status?language=en
Audio:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436354/ian-bremmer-what-happens-when-the-worlds-superpower-no-longer-wants-to-lead
Transcript:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577436354
-
*Sara Menker: How Can We Farm Enough Food to Feed the World?*
<https://www.ted.com/talks/sara_menker_a_global_food_crisis_may_be_only_a_decade_away?language=en>
We discovered that the world will be short 214 trillion calories by
2027. The world is not in a position to fill this gap an alternative way
to think about this is to think about it in Big Macs.
Two-hundred-fourteen trillion calories - a single Big Mac has 563
calories. That means the world will be short 379 billion Big Macs in
2027. That is more Big Macs than McDonald's has ever produced. So how
did we get to these numbers in the first place? This map shows you where
the world was 40 years ago.
Video:
https://www.ted.com/talks/sara_menker_a_global_food_crisis_may_be_only_a_decade_away?language=en
Audio:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436550/sara-menker-how-can-we-farm-enough-food-to-feed-the-world
Transcript:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577436550
-
David Miliband: Whose Responsibility Is It To Solve The Global Refugee
Crisis?
<https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436190/david-miliband-whose-responsibility-is-it-to-solve-the-global-refugee-crisis>
audio:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436190/david-miliband-whose-responsibility-is-it-to-solve-the-global-refugee-crisis
Video:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577436190
<https://www.ted.com/talks/david_miliband_the_refugee_crisis_is_a_test_of_our_character?language=en>
Transcript:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577436190
-
Rutger Bregman: Is A Universal Basic Income The Answer To Ending
Poverty?
<Video:%20https://www.ted.com/talks/rutger_bregman_poverty_isn_t_a_lack_of_character_it_s_a_lack_of_cash?language=en>
audio:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/577436742/rutger-bregman-is-a-universal-basic-income-the-answer-to-ending-poverty
Video:
https://www.ted.com/talks/rutger_bregman_poverty_isn_t_a_lack_of_character_it_s_a_lack_of_cash?language=en
Transcript:
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=577436742
-
(The Big Five What are the five biggest global challenges we face right
now <https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/577435207/the-big-five>
- and what can we do about them? This hour, TED speakers explore some
radical solutions to these enduring problems.
https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/577435207/the-big-five)

[where our 'decision-makers' get the news]
*Gov. Inslee's climate-change advisers draw scrutiny as his national
profile rises
<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gov-inslees-climate-change-advisers-draw-attention-as-his-national-profile-rises/>*
OLYMPIA — As Gov. Jay Inslee presses an ambitious carbon-tax plan for
Washington state, two of his climate-change policy advisers have drawn
scrutiny.
The attention to Inslee's office also comes as his national profile
rises. He's been a vocal a critic of President Donald Trump, and even
named as a possible contender for the Democratic presidential or
vice-presidential nomination in 2020.
One Inslee staffer, Chris Davis, a senior adviser for climate and energy
affairs, has been with the governor's office since 2014 — but has
recently been working remotely from Africa...Jaime Smith, Inslee's
executive director of communications, defended the telecommuting
arrangement. Davis has been a trusted adviser on climate issues, she
said, for example working on Inslee's recently proposed carbon tax.
"We didn't actually send him to Morocco and it turns out he can work for
us from there," she said, citing "the amazing invention called the
internet."
Smith said the governor's office is monitoring the work "to make sure it
works well for him and well for us — and so far it has."...
The spotlight on Inslee's advisers comes amid the governor's push for
Washington lawmakers to approve his sweeping carbon-tax plan in this
year's legislative session.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gov-inslees-climate-change-advisers-draw-attention-as-his-national-profile-rises/

[Special to the Press & Sun-Bulletin ]
*Ask a Scientist from Binghamton University: Can we overcome global
warming?
<http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/education/2018/01/14/binghamton-university-can-we-overcome-global-warming-ask-scientist/1032431001/>*
Michael LIttle
Jan. 14, 2018
*QUESTION: Can humans overcome global warming at this point?*
*ANSWER: A simple answer to your question, Harrison, and as agreed on by
expert climatologists around the world, is 'no'! *
As you probably know, global warming is caused by elevations in
greenhouse gases. Increased temperatures of the Earth's surface result
from increases in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other "greenhouse gases"
(water vapor, methane, ozone, etc.) that trap solar radiation in the
atmosphere.
Since the Industrial Revolution in the late 1700s, when we began burning
lots of carbon-based fossil fuels (e.g., wood, coal, oil), CO2 levels
have been rising in the atmosphere. In the year 1700, atmospheric CO2
was around 270 parts per million (ppm) of air; it is now greater than
400 ppm, and is expected to rise to more than 500 ppm by the end of this
century.
It is also clear that this speeded-up pattern of global warming is
anthropogenic, that is, it has been caused by human action. Some have
argued that climate change is a "natural" process over which we have no
control. But there is abundant evidence now that the accelerated warming
is a human event.
Although there is a move to use more non-fossil fuel energy, such as
solar and wind energy, our excessive use of fossil fuels has set in
motion a pattern of global warming that cannot be overcome and will
persist for at least a thousand years. We can, however, slow down the
process somewhat by a greater reliance on solar and wind energy. Yet
this is difficult to do because some governments (such as the United
States) do not fully recognize the problem and have not exercised their
political power to slow the use of fossil fuels and encourage the
development of other energy sources. Many industries are unwilling to
voluntarily reduce fossil fuel use because it might reduce their profits.
Increased global temperatures are not the only problem associated with
climate change. We will experience more extreme weather events (e.g.,
storms, droughts, floods) and sea level rise due to melting Greenland
and Antarctic glaciers, and expanding (warming) ocean water. This will
flood coastal areas around the world and leave less land for agriculture
and human habitation. Other changes include less food being produced and
the planet being unable to support as many people as it can at this time.
A number of years ago, when it was believed by scientists that we could
control and reduce the long-range effects of climate change, the focus
was on mitigation, that is, ways to lessen the effect of climate change
on the planet. Now, most scientists and knowledgeable leaders are
focusing on adaptation, or ways that we can acclimate to the changes
that are now inevitable.
Humans are smart and adaptable and will probably find ways to deal with
some of these problems. But the challenges for individuals in this
century will be quite formidable and different from those that we have
encountered in the past.
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/education/2018/01/14/binghamton-university-can-we-overcome-global-warming-ask-scientist/1032431001/

[Arctic drilling]
*Lundin drills dry, again
<https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/industry-and-energy/2018/01/lundin-drills-dry-again>*
2018 starts like 2017 ended. Yet another dry well in the Barents Sea.
No lucky start of the new year for oil trio Lundin Petroleum, Aker BP
and DEA Norge. Drilling of the Hurri exploration well in the Barents
Sea, northwest of Hammerfest, gave no results, license operator Lundin
announced on Wednesday.
"The well was dry," a short statement reads.
"Extensive data acquisition and sampling were carried out," Lundin
ensures. The Swedish oil company's Norwegian subsidiary is operator of
the license, in partnership with Aker BP and DEA Norge.
The Hurri exploration well is located south of Statoil's up-coming Johan
Castberg field, estimated to hold 450 - 650 million barrels of oil
equivalents. In December, Statoil announced a Euros 5 billion investment
plan on the development of Johan Castberg, Norway's northernmost oil
discovery in the Barents Sea.
2017, however, turned out to be a big disappointment for the oil
industry on hungry-hunt for new offshore Arctic findings.
All Statoil's five prospects drilled in the Barents Sea failed to prove
oil. ENI's Goliat platform, the only operating oil-production north of
mainland Norway, was shut down for longer periods during the year due to
safety concerns. And Lundin, who starts 2018 by announcing a dry-well,
had to close the drilling calendar 2017 with zero findings...
While 26 companies submitted bids for the 57 blocks in the 23rd round,
only 11 companies want to take part in the 24th round.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/industry-and-energy/2018/01/lundin-drills-dry-again

[Princeton University]
*Better decision-making for the planet
<https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/01/04/better-decision-making-planet>*
We might think we have control of the mix of decisions we make during
the day. But it turns out that our brain gives us subconscious nudges,
preferring some choices over others.
Elke Weber, the Gerhard R. Andlinger Professor in Energy and the
Environment, studies how the science of human behavior can inform
policies that encourage people to make good choices for the environment.
"For far too long, we've assumed that people's decisions are rational,"
said Weber, who is also a professor of psychology and public affairs in
the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, as well
as the associate director for education at the Andlinger Center for
Energy and the Environment. "My research asks, in what ways can we
understand what goes on in the brain and use that knowledge to help us
all make better decisions?"
Weber researches how to design solutions to society's greatest problems,
such as climate change. "It turns out we can do some psychological
jiujitsu to convert seemingly negative choices into something positive,"
Weber said.
In the field of psychology, this is called "choice architecture."
For example, merely renaming a choice to avoid negative associations can
make an impact on people's decisions. Weber and colleagues found that
airline passengers were far more willing to pay a surcharge to combat
climate change if the fee was called a "carbon offset" instead of a
"carbon tax."
Another aspect of choice architecture comes into play when talking about
present versus future activities. Climate change seems far off to many
people. But people tend to make choices based on the present or the
immediate future, which psychologists call presence bias. "We focus on
the here and now, which makes evolutionary sense," Weber said. "If you
might not survive until tomorrow, what's the point of planning for next
year?"
One way to combat presence bias is by tapping into people's desires to
be remembered in a positive light, Weber and colleagues at Columbia
University and the University of Massachusetts-Amherst found. If first
prompted with questions about how they would like to be remembered,
individuals are more likely to think about their future rather than
their present selves, and therefore make pro-environmental choices. The
research, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, was
published in Psychological Science in 2015.
Then there's our inability to concentrate on more than one option at a
time when we are presented with a choice. Weber and her colleague Eric
Johnson, a business and marketing professor at Columbia, coined the
"query theory" to explain how people internally generate more arguments
favoring the first option they consider, temporarily inhibiting
arguments in favor of all other options.
Magazine design by Matilda Luk, Office of Communications; image courtesy
of Benjamin Engel, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry
When a "default" option is given, it becomes the option we think of
first, which puts it at an advantage. Weber gives the example of a
hypothetical electric utility company that offers customers the
opportunity to switch to "green" energy.  Typically, fossil fuel energy
is the default option, and few customers end up switching to the cleaner
though somewhat more expensive green power. In contrast, when in lab and
field studies the company made it the default option to choose "green"
energy, a large majority of customers did just that. "In terms of what
influences people's decisions, the million-dollar question is which
option gets considered first," Weber said.
Weber's research demonstrates that changing the way choices are
presented can play a role in conserving the environment through
influencing people, the instigators of our warming planet.
Yasemin Saplakoglu for the Office of the Dean for Research
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/01/04/better-decision-making-planet

[Speaking Notes #6]
OXFORD CHANGE AGENCY EVENT - REPORT
*Agency in individual and collective change
<http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/papers/257-oxford-change-agency-event-report>*
Climate Psychology Alliance with Living Witness
Written by Laurie Michaelis
A day for psychological and social practitioners to share our
experiences of enabling positive
connect and complement
each other, hoping to form a stronger community of practitioners.
*Understanding Positive Change, Sophy Banks*
I spent 10 years at the heart of the Transition movement, for creating
community scale positive
change to a sustainable, thriving, just and inclusive future. It was
striking meeting hundreds of people
from groups doing Transition around the world and seeing how often there
was an absence of the
basic inner practices that bring about sustainable and healthy culture,
for individuals and groups - to
consciously create the feelings of being resourced, valued, connected,
empowered and safe. Few
included the basic tools of change that have been pointed to already by
our speakers - space for
reflection, for noticing symptoms of dysfunction, for responding to
them. Many people and groups
ended in states of exhaustion and burnout, and some in conflict.
I learnt that burnout has been endemic in environmental movements for
decades. What does it mean
that organisations that are all about sustainability were creating
exhaustion - depleting the human
resources of those involved? I got very interested in this, believing
that the dynamics that show up in
our movements for change often have meaning, showing us something of our
own shadow in relation
to our core purpose.
How we perceive the world to which we are responding is determined by
our inner state, primarily by
our emotions. One major system (of many) which governs our inner state
is the unconscious
autonomous nervous system - whose two main systems are the sympathetic
nervous system,
responsible for mobilisation into action and in emergencies reacting
into fight / flight, and the
parasympathetic, responsible for resting / digesting, and reacting into
emergency inhibition and
ultimately freeze.
The result of my enquiry was to see that our western culture is largely
run by people who are in a kind
of enduring fight / flight state, valuing action and strength over
reflection and sensitivity, highly
attuned to dynamics of power, and defended against inner process. I see
that these are some of the
endemic characteristics of "normal organisational culture" in the modern
world - and that they show
up in our organisations for change, too.
There are two basic states which operate within all of us, and at the
core of creating positive and
lasting change is the need to understand how these states are evoked.
This understanding links
psychology, neuroscience and culture to language and frames. We need to
understand where our
focus on the material world, on carbon and climate, on jobs and the
economy evoke an outer
dominated frame which supports the status quo, and how to speak about
relationship, support and
loving holding at the core of meaningful, sustainable human existence.
The last part of my enquiry led me to George Lakoff's work around
frames, finding that the frame he
described the right wing neoliberal communications evoking, which he
called "strict father" precisely
mapped onto the fear based, strength valuing, power over system that is
run by a chronically activated
sympathetic nervous system I was seeing; and his "nurturing parent"
frame was equivalent to the
relaxed balance and flow between action and rest that is our healthy,
functioning state.
So the nature of the change we need is to move away from cultures which
over-value action, strength
and outer, and create conflict and burnout, which marginalise love,
relationships, stillness, depth and
inner; we need to move towards cultures which balance action and
reflection, which put relationships
before tasks, and which embed these values in their structures and
processes.
I will share the model and ideas more in the afternoon workshop.
I believe the neoliberal communications strategists are absolutely aware
of these deep frames, and
are expert at evoking fear based responses that lead to contraction,
conservatism, separation, short
termism and so on. I have met few people in progressive organisations
who have done the depth work
to include this kind of psychological understanding - even those who are
working with frames, and are
experts in communication often don't understand the relevance of
psychological and neurological
states. When we frame our movements around the new economy or job
creation, around action and
change, we are repeating the frames which value productivity or work
above human relationships as if
this were the purpose of life, rather than creating the secure loving
holding connections that enable
life us to feel and live rich and satisfying lives.
http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/papers/257-oxford-change-agency-event-report

[Recovering Data]
*CHANGING THE DIGITAL CLIMATE
<http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/>*
HOW CLIMATE CHANGE WEB CONTENT IS BEING CENSORED UNDER THE TRUMP
ADMINISTRATION
* I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY*
EDGI's website monitoring working group monitors changes to tens of
thousands of federal webpages that relate to environment, climate, and
energy. In the first year of the Trump administration, we have observed
alterations to many federal agency Web resources about climate change.
Although there is no evidence of any removals of climate data, we have
documented overhauls and removals of documents, webpages, and entire
websites, as well as significant language shifts.
*Key Findings:*

    - The Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) removal and subsequent
    ongoing overhaul of its climate change website
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.2xw1l1cdg70r>raises
    strong concerns about loss of access to valuable information for
    state, local, and tribal governments, and for educators,
    policymakers, and the general public.
    - Several agencies removed or significantly reduced
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.megtib4xde09>
    the prominence of climate change Web content, such as webpages,
    documents, and entire websites, and the White House omitted climate
    change
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.6mrmr2xmih09>
    as an issue highlighted on its website.
    - The Department of State, Department of Energy (DOE), and the EPA
    removed information
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.5apjn836y9u6>about
    the federal government's international obligations regarding climate
    change, downplaying U.S. involvement.
    - Descriptions of agency priorities shifted to emphasize job
    creation and downplay renewable fuels
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.c8odaxlii89r>
    as replacements for fossil fuels. At the DOE, mentions of "clean
    energy" and explanations of harmful environmental impacts of fossil
    fuels were also removed
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.oymmw1hlpkmq>.
    - Language about climate change has been systematically changed
    <http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#h.opkpv51t5wzh>across
    multiple agency and program websites. In many cases, explicit
    mentions of "climate change" and "greenhouse gases" have been
    replaced by vaguer terms such as "sustainability" and "emissions".

While we cannot determine the reasons for these changes from monitoring
websites alone, our work reveals shifts in stated priorities and
governance and an overall reduction in access to climate change
information, particularly at the EPA...
*What are EDGI's Recommendations
<http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/#kix.npcqfr6dwcm1>?*

    *Transparency.* Especially for major website overhauls, but for
    smaller updates to webpages as well, agencies should detail the
    scope of the pages that will be affected and clearly explain the
    reason for planned alterations in a public statement, well in
    advance of the changes actually being made.
    *Responsible Web archiving*. Federal agencies should not alter or
    reduce access to Web content before they have created a log to
    thoroughly document their intended changes and ensured that the
    content is preserved and, for significant alterations, made
    accessible through a public archive.
    *Valuing Web resources.* Web resources should be valued in terms of
    their educational importance, how much they enable historical
    understanding, and their advancement of scientific and policy
    research. Records schedules and records governance broadly should
    reflect these uses.
    *Distributed Web archiving*. Federal agencies should work with
    growing civil society movements to rethink the way we organize,
    steward, and distribute data, Web resources, and online information.
    *Environmental data justice*. Federal environmental agencies should
    work to create digital infrastructure through which communities can
    determine what kinds of data are collected and presented about them,
    identify and accommodate those who access federal Web information,
    as well as offering communities the right to refuse consent to data
    collection.

http://100days.envirodatagov.org/changing-digital-climate/

[culture journalism]
*An ancient art could help us talk about climate change
<https://www.salon.com/2018/01/14/an-ancient-art-could-help-us-talk-about-climate-change/>*
An Alaskan storyteller hopes to shake up the narrative
ZAKIYA MCCUMMINGS
This feature is part of Salon's Young Americans initiative, showcasing
emerging journalists reporting from America's red states.
Back in July, the Anchorage Daily News reported that melting permafrost
had caused the sole major roadway in Bethel, Alaska to become warped and
bumpy, making it difficult to drive. Meanwhile, in West Virginia,
environmental regulations and the use of fracking for fossil fuels
production has led to a decline in the coal mining industry. Both states
have a rich history of oral storytelling; both are at the center of two
very different stories about climate change.
Dylan Harris, a doctoral candidate at Clark University, is using
storytelling to explain the science of climate change to those who it
affects the most. For the next two years, he'll be researching climate
change in Alaska and West Virginia.
"Folks who work with fossil fuels in Alaska and West Virginia are not
the people going to see art shows about climate change in Brooklyn,"
Harris said.
Harris focused his work on those states because "If climate change is
this new and complicated problem, storytelling . . . is a way to make
sense of the world."
Harris's research is split into two phases. The first phase is
researching what major factors shape people's understanding of climate
change. "I tend to frame it in terms of cultural politics," Harris
explained. "Some of that initial data will be digging through archives,
but also doing interviews."
Harris has spent time in both Alaska and West Virginia meeting with
storytellers and people involved in environmental change research and
education. In 2018, he'll begin the year-long process of interviewing
storytellers, looking at archival research and observing how climate
change is talked about in these communities.
Phase two is to run workshops. "The workshop idea is to study how
storytelling develops among people who do storytelling very differently,
and to use those perspectives to engage community members on how to
understand and act on climate change," Harris said.
Although still in the preliminary phase of his research, Harris has
noted a difference in the way Alaskans and West Virginians perceive and
discuss climate change. There are a lot of conversations about climate
change happening in Alaska, Harris said, in part because the threat of
climate change is so presently real to so many communities in Alaska.
"However, in chatting with folks in Fairbanks, one thing that's missing
in these conversations is connecting those problems to global climate
change, or even economics in the state."
In West Virginia, the discussion around climate change has been focused
on the declining coal mining industry, which has historically been the
state's economical backbone. "When people think about stereotypical
Appalachia, you get this conservative understanding of that area and
assume there's not an interest in having this conversation," Harris
said. "There's an interest. The way people talk about it, I find very
exciting as a researcher."
Harris hopes his research will help facilitate meaningful conversations
about climate change within these small communities and beyond.
Ultimately, he said, the goal is to give those affected the most by
climate change a better understanding of the issue.
"Having someone who feels their jobs may be jeopardized meet and see the
other side is really important," Harris said.
ZAKIYA MCCUMMINGS
Zakiya McCummings is a senior journalism student at the University of
Alaska Anchorage from Eagle River, Alaska. Having had a special interest
in culture journalism, she joined the Young Americans fellowship in the
hopes of showcasing the vast cultural landscape of Alaska. Follow her on
Instagram (@realzakiya) and Twitter (@realzakiya). Visit her website for
more of her work: zakiyamcc.com.
https://www.salon.com/g00/2018/01/14/an-ancient-art-could-help-us-talk-about-climate-change/

*This Day in Climate History January 15, 2013
<http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/15/1448711/virginia-waters-down-report-on-impacts-of-climate-change-after-tea-party-complaints/>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
Think Progress reports:
Virginia Waters Down Report On Impacts Of Climate Change After Tea Party
Complaints
"Virginia’s legislature commissioned a study to determine the impacts of
climate change on the
state’s shores. After Tea Party complaints, lawmakers [removed] the
words 'climate change' and “sea level rise” from the title.

"This week, Virginia released its analysis, under the title 'Recurrent
Flooding Study for Tidewater Virginia.' The report discusses the
threat of flooding and rising sea levels to coastal Virginia, but
gives less notice to the causes of climate change."

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/15/1448711/virginia-waters-down-report-on-impacts-of-climate-change-after-tea-party-complaints/
to news clippings. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that