[TheClimate.Vote] July 9, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 9 10:39:58 EDT 2018

/July 9, 2018/

[Serious flooding affects 1.6 milllion]
*Japan: death toll from record rain increases as PM warns of 'race
against time'
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/death-toll-increases-as-record-rains-devastate-parts-of-japan?CMP=share_btn_link>*
At least 76 people have reportedly been killed, with 92 missing and the
number of fatalities expected to rise
More than 70 people have died and dozens are missing as torrential rain
hammered parts of Japan for a third day on Sunday, with the prime
minister, Shinzo Abe warning that rescue workers faced a "race against
time".
Continued rainfall prompted disaster warnings on the south-western main
islands of Kyushu and Shikoku, as local media reported the death toll
had risen overnight to 76, with 92 people missing.
-+- Video *Dozens dead and 1.6 million people evacuated during Japan
flood <https://youtu.be/vxCzpZzLWTY>* https://youtu.be/vxCzpZzLWTY
Guardian News - Published on Jul 7, 2018
Torrential rain has caused heavy flooding and landslides in south-west
Japan. Dozens of people have died and at least 50 are missing. Japan's
meteorological agency issued 'historic and special weather warnings'
across four prefectures in the west of Japan's main island of Honshu
Floods and landslides leave dozens dead and 50 missing in Japan.
- - - - -
At one point, evacuation orders or advisories were issued for 4.72
million people, while around 48,000 members of the self-defence forces,
police and firefighters were mobilised to search for trapped or injured
people or to recover bodies, Kyodo news said...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/death-toll-increases-as-record-rains-devastate-parts-of-japan?CMP=share_btn_link

[NPR audio and transcript]
*Climate Change Scorecard
<https://www.npr.org/2018/07/08/627024873/climate-change-scorecard>*
July 8, 20188:43 AM ET
Heard on Weekend Edition Sunday
A year after the U.S. pulled out of the Paris climate agreement, NPR's
Lulu Garcia-Navarro talks with Elliot Diringer of the Center for Climate
and Energy Solutions for an update.

    GARCIA-NAVARRO: All right. But how are they doing in meeting those
    goals that they set?

    DIRINGER: I think it's a pretty mixed picture at this point. There
    are some bright spots. In India, for instance, we're seeing rapid
    progress. Actually they will be achieving their goals on renewable
    energy well ahead of schedule. China's emissions had been more or
    less stabilizing. Even in the U.S. we're continuing to see
    reductions in emissions, despite the Trump rollbacks, thanks to
    stronger efforts by cities and states and many companies. But as I
    said, it's a mixed picture. And in each of those cases there are
    warning signs. India continues to build coal-burning plants. China's
    emissions spiked in the first quarter of this year. And while
    emissions continue to decline in the U.S., we're not nearly on track
    to set the goal that the Obama administration set.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/08/627024873/climate-change-scorecard

[Podcast America Adapts]
*Adaptation and Transformational Change: The Kresge Foundation Explores
the State of Climate Adaptation with Susanne Moser and Lois DeBacker
<http://americaadapts.org/2018/07/09/adaptation-and-transformational-change-the-kresge-foundation-explores-the-state-of-climate-adaptation-with-susanne-moser-and-lois-debacker/>*
In episode 69 of America Adapts, Doug Parsons talks about the current
state of adaptation with Lois DeBacker of the Kresge Foundation and
adaptation researcher Dr. Susanne Moser. The Kresge Foundation recently
released their report, Rising to the Challenge, Together and Doug, Lois
and Susanne dig into the report's finding and discuss what's happening
within the field of adaptation. Other topics covered: is adaptation
evolving to meet the challenges of climate change; why are there not
more prominent adaptation leaders and spokespeople; equity and
adaptation and much more. Susanne also explores the concept of
transformational change and how adaptation offers a unique opportunity
for true societal change.
Topics covered:
What is the Kresge Foundation's role in climate adaptation funding.
Adaptation is still an emerging field and does it need to be its own field?
The history of adaptation.
Right now adaptation is too insider baseball. Needs to be more
accessible to the public.
Need the equivalent of "National Geographic Adapters" to highlight
leaders in the field.
Adaptation opportunities for university students. Students need to
demand adaptation course work.
http://americaadapts.org/2018/07/09/adaptation-and-transformational-change-the-kresge-foundation-explores-the-state-of-climate-adaptation-with-susanne-moser-and-lois-debacker/

[Last week the Washington Post posted, revised and reposted under same
headline:]
*Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world
during the past week
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/03/hot-planet-all-time-heat-records-have-been-set-all-over-the-world-in-last-week/?utm_term=.963c4199138b>*

    (This article, originally published Tuesday, was updated Wednesday
    to add all-time heat records at Mount Washington, N.H., and Tbilisi,
    Georgia set since Monday. On Thursday, the story was updated to
    include information on heat-related deaths in Canada and
    extraordinary heat in Siberia. On Friday, it was updated to add the
    likely all-time heat record in Africa and Southern California.)

Let's take a tour around the world of the recent hot-weather milestones.
*North America*
A massive and intense heat dome has consumed the eastern two-thirds of
the United States and southeast Canada since late last week. It's not
only been hot but also exceptionally humid. Here are some of the notable
all-time records set:
The University of California Los Angeles set its all-time
high-temperature of 111 degrees on July 6, along with several other
locations in Southern California.
Denver tied its all-time high-temperature record of 105 degrees on June 28.
Mount Washington, N.H., tied its all-time warmest low temperature of 60
degrees on July 2.
Burlington, Vt., set its all-time warmest low temperature ever recorded
of 80 degrees on July 2.
Montreal recorded its highest temperature in recorded history, dating
back 147 years, of 97.9 degrees (36.6 Celsius) on July 2. The city also
posted its most extreme midnight combination of heat and humidity.
Ottawa posted its most extreme combination of heat and humidity on July 1.
*Europe*
Excessive heat torched the British Isles late last week. The stifling
heat caused roads and roofs to buckle, the Weather Channel reported, and
resulted in multiple all-time record highs:
In Scotland, Glasgow had its hottest day on record, hitting 89.4 degrees
(31.9 Celsius). Previously, it was reported that Scotland set its
hottest temperature on record of 91.8 degrees (33.2 Celsius) on June 28
in Motherwell, about 12 miles southeast of Glasgow. However, upon
further evaluation, the U.K. Met Office determined the record was
invalid due to an artificial heating source near the temperature sensor.
In Ireland, on June 28, Shannon hit 89.6 degrees (32 Celsius), its
all-time record.
In Northern Ireland,
Belfast hit 85.1 degrees (29.5 Celsius) on June 28, its all-time record.
Castlederg hit 86.2 degrees (30.1 Celsius) on June 29, its all-time record.
*Eurasia*
A large dome of high pressure, or heat dome, has persistently sat on top
of Eurasia over the past week, resulting in some extraordinarily hot
weather:
Tbilisi, Georgia: On July 4, the capital city soared to 104.9 degrees
(40.5 Celsius), its all-time record.
Yerevan, Armenia: On July 2, the capital city soared to 107.6 degrees
(42 Celsius), a record high for July and tying its record for any month.
Several locations in southern Russia topped or matched their warmest
June temperatures on record on the 28th.
*Middle East*
As we reported, Quriyat, Oman, posted the world's hottest low
temperature ever recorded on June 28: 109 degrees (42.6 Celsius).
- - - - - -
These various records add to a growing list of heat milestones set over
the past 15 months that are part and parcel of a planet that is trending
hotter as greenhouse gas concentrations increase because of human activity:
In April, Pakistan posted the hottest temperature ever observed on Earth
during the month of 122.4 degrees (50.2 Celsius).
Dallas had never hit 90 degrees in November before, but it did so three
times in four days in 2017.
In late October 2017, temperatures soared to 108 degrees in Southern
California, the hottest weather on record so late in the season in the
entire United States.
On Sept. 1, 2017, San Francisco hit 106 degrees, smashing its all-time
hottest temperature.
In late July 2017, Shanghai registered its highest temperature in
recorded history, 105.6 degrees (40.9 Celsius).
In mid-July, Spain posted its highest temperature recorded when Cordoba
Airport (in the south) hit 116.4 degrees (46.9 Celsius).
In July 2017, Death Valley, Calif., endured the hottest month recorded
on Earth.
In late June 2017, Ahvaz, Iran, soared to 128.7 degrees Fahrenheit (53.7
Celsius) — that country's all-time hottest temperature.
In late May 2017, the western town of Turbat in Pakistan hit 128.3
degrees (53.5 Celsius), tying the all-time highest temperature in that
country and the world-record temperature for May, according to Masters.
more at:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/03/hot-planet-all-time-heat-records-have-been-set-all-over-the-world-in-last-week/?utm_term=.963c4199138b

[activism]
*THE YOUTH CLIMATE LOBBY DAY (JULY 19)
<http://thisiszerohour.org/the-march/>*
Zero Hour is not mobilizing just for the sake of mobilizing. We the
youth are demanding an end to business as usual on climate change, so we
have created science-backed demands for both our leaders, and the
general public to take action on. On July 19th youth are taking over
Capitol Hill to deliver our demands to our politicians. We are giving
them the exact asks that we are marching for—so they have no excuse not
to take action.
---
ART BUILDS & COMMUNITY BUILDING (JULY 20)
We will prepare for our mobilization by having art builds around the DC
area to celebrate our movement and earth through art. In any movement,
it is important to have community building, because community is the
best antidote to hopelessness. Through these art builds we are building
our community and beautiful banners and signs for The Youth Climate March.
---
THE YOUTH CLIMATE MARCH (JULY 21)
In Washington D.C., youth will march on the National Mall to advocate
for their own rights to a safe and livable future. We will rally and
highlight the voices and stories of youth on the frontlines of the
climate crisis. Then, we will flood the streets as a demonstration of
youth power and show how #ThisIsZeroHour to act on climate change.
http://thisiszerohour.org/the-march/

*This Day in Climate History - July 9, 2008
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-Goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter.html>
- from D.R. Tucker*
The UK Daily Telegraph reports that prior to leaving the G8 Summit in
Japan, President George W. Bush, "who has been condemned throughout his
presidency for failing to tackle climate change, ended a private meeting
with the words: 'Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter.' He then
punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of those present
including [British Prime Minister] Gordon Brown and [French President]
Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-Goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/bush-to-g8-goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter-863911.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that