[TheClimate.Vote] March 3, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Mar 3 10:03:12 EST 2018

/March 3, 2018/

[Washington Post]
*Once-in-a-generation flooding possible in Boston - for the second time
this year
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/01/once-in-a-generation-flooding-possible-in-boston-friday-and-saturday/?utm_term=.a2d3085fcb2f>*
The National Weather Service is warning that the seas could top 15.3
feet at the tidal gauge in Boston Harbor...
Unfortunately, widespread destructive coastal flooding this weekend is
looking unavoidable at this point. Friday's event is a "perfect storm"
for high-end coastal flooding in Southern New England. The ocean is
already primed for big issues due to high astronomical tides. Onshore
flows between 40 to 60 mph (and up to 80 mph on Cape Cod) will persist
for upward of 24 hours, thanks to a stalling storm. These winds will
pile water up along the coast, funneling it into bays, rivers, and
inlets. Meanwhile, waves topping thirty-five feet are possible just a
few miles offshore...
The National Weather Service is calling this event "serious and
life-threatening," tweeting that some vulnerable neighborhoods could be
"cut off for long periods of time."
"For those living along the coast," they said, "this could be a matter
of life or death." Those susceptible to flooding are urged to heed the
advice of local officials.
Since 2000, the seas have risen several inches in the Northeast due to
climate change. Though it may sound small, that's oftentimes enough to
tip the scales into "record" category. The same storm 50 years ago would
be less severe than it is today, simply because the water wasn't as high
back then. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change estimates that
coastal flooding threats could triple toward the end of the century.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/01/once-in-a-generation-flooding-possible-in-boston-friday-and-saturday/?utm_term=.a2d3085fcb2f

[Science News from research organizations]
*No laughing matter, yet humor inspires climate change activism
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180301151514.htm>*