[TheClimate.Vote] May 25, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri May 25 11:17:20 EDT 2018

/May 25, 2018/

[challenge to courts]
*'We can't see a future': group takes EU to court over climate change
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/24/families-take-eu-court-climate-change-emissions>*
Litigants from eight countries claim EU institutions are not protecting
fundamental rights
Daniel Boffey in Brussels 24 May 2018...
"The plaintiff families are putting their trust in the EU courts and
legal system to protect their fundamental rights of life, health,
occupation and property which are under threat of climate change. The EU
courts must now listen to these families and ensure that they are
protected."
- - - - -
"Yet, it is clear that the existing EU 2030 climate target is not enough
to respect the commitments taken in the Paris agreement and should be
increased. The EU needs under the agreement to confirm its target by
2020. This legal action initiated by normal families impacted by climate
change is underlining the urgency and the necessity to increase it."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/24/families-take-eu-court-climate-change-emissions

[Heard on NPR]
*Asteroid Impact That Wiped Out The Dinosaurs Also Caused Abrupt Global
Warming
<https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/24/614105843/asteroid-impact-that-wiped-out-the-dinosaurs-also-caused-abrupt-global-warming>*
2:35 Audio heard on All Things Considered
May 24, 2018
The asteroid impact that ended the age of the dinosaurs also released so
much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that the planet warmed up by
about 5 degrees Celsius  -  and the hot spell persisted for roughly
100,000 years...
- - - - -
"The atmosphere was loaded for a very brief interval of time, and the
consequences of that change in atmospheric composition lasted for
100,000 years," MacLeod says. "So it illustrates, I think, really
strongly, even if we went back to 1850 levels of carbon dioxide
emission, it's going to take a 100,000 years for the carbon dioxide that
we've already put in the atmosphere to cycle through the Earth's systems."
Brian Huber, a paleobiologist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of
Natural History who wasn't part of the research team, says this paper is
real step forward in understanding temperature changes around the time
of this mass extinction event. And he agrees that the results have
implications for thinking about the future.
"I think the stunning result of this is that this temperature warming
after the impact persisted for 100,000 years," Huber says. "It's, to me,
stunning and a little bit frightening about the course of what happens
with burning so much coal, so much petroleum, in just a few decades."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/24/614105843/asteroid-impact-that-wiped-out-the-dinosaurs-also-caused-abrupt-global-warming

[psychology and climate change 12 video interviews]
Depth Psychology / Depth Insights
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsCBr5L_ScQ8GxKN6aefgQ> Interviews by
Bonnie Bright
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsCBr5L_ScQ8GxKN6aefgQ
*Earth, Climate, Dreams Symposium
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>*
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO
- - - - - -
Dreams, Synchronicities & our Relationship to the Earth - Veronica
Goodchild, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFKEhFAyiY&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO&index=1>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFKEhFAyi
Navigating the Great Transition - Susannah Benson, Earth Climate Dreams
Symposium <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUY4dz9zgm8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUY4dz9zgm8
The Frankenstein Prophecies: The Untold Tale - Robert Romanyshyn, Earth
Climate Dreams <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJlViNR21Yw>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJlViNR21Yw
Dreams and the Animated Earth - Stephen Aizenstat, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdy6Wyz5W0>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdy6Wyz5W0
We Need to Talk about Climate Change, with Depth - Sally Gillespie,
Earth Climate Dreams Symposium
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTP4qem2hAY&index=5&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTP4qem2hAY
Facing Climate Change through a Jungian Lens - Jeffrey Kiehl, Earth
Climate Dreams Symposium
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzDiuAe6xk&index=6&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzDiuAe6xk
Depth Ecology and Climate Change - Jonathan Marshall, Earth Climate
Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQiVV96bAs&index=7&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQiVV96bAs
Revisiting the Well at the Dawn of Life: Teachings of the Maya - Nancy
Furlotti, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80ERblfQgw&index=8&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80ERblfQgw
The Role of Primary Narcissism in the Ecological Crisis - Michael
Conforti, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9Jw94NrMw&index=9&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9Jw94NrMw
Dominion Psyche, Reciprocity Psyche, Borderland Consciousness - Jerome
Bernstein, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtW9avovskc&index=10&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtW9avovskc
Dionysus: Revisioning Psychology & Literature in Jung & Hillman - Susan
Rowland, Earth Climate Dreams
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgse7iIcGAc&index=11&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgse7iIcGAc
The Human Soul in Transition at the Dawn of a New Era - Erel Shalit,
Earth Climate Dreams Symposium
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUSl6xI4K3s&index=12&list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUSl6xI4K3s
- - - -
Playlist for the Symposium
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6O_9_P0cq7bULdR4CqW1mhmbiNsPFmGO

[pre-traumatic stress disorder]
*Eric Holthaus on Imagination: "Our Brains are Constantly Being
Encouraged to Give Up"
<https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-03-20/eric-holthaus-on-imagination-our-brains-are-constantly-being-encouraged-to-give-up/>*
By Rob Hopkins, Eric Holthaus
March 20, 2018
Eric Holthaus was once called 'The Rebel Nerd of Meteorology' by Rolling
Stone magazine and is a journalist who writes about climate change.  In
2013, sitting at an airport, he burst into tears having just read the
latest IPCC report, and took to Twitter to share the impact, as a
scientist studying climate change, that this knowledge was having on him
emotionally.  In one he wrote:
"I'm starting my 11th year working on climate change, including the last
4 in daily journalism. Today I went to see a counselor about it. There
are days where I literally can't work. I'll read a story & shut down for
the rest of the day. We don't deserve this planet. There are (many) days
when I think it would be better off without us."
In another he wrote:
"To me, our emotional/psychological response is *the* story on climate
change. It defines how (and if) we will solve the problem".
Audio of interview:
https://soundcloud.com/transition-culture/eric-holthaus-on-imagination-our-brains-are-constantly-being-encouraged-to-give-up
- - - - -
  Inaction, or doing small actions like recycling or taking your
reusable bag to go shopping with you, those are also forms of denial.
Any time we're not acting on the scale necessary to solve the problem,
these are all ways of tricking ourselves to think that either the
problem's not as big as what it is, or that we are powerless to solve
it, or that our actions are having some effect. They're all coping
strategies for us to avoid imagining that change that's actually
necessary, or imagining the world we want to have. Sometimes it's easier
to just say, "Oh well, this is just too big of a thing".
Accepting failure is a way of denying that we have a chance to change
that future.  Thinking that someone else is going to somehow solve the
problem is also a way of denying our own responsibility. Change also is
a trauma for a lot of people.  Especially radical change on the scale
that scientists say is necessary.  It's a scary thing to think about.
It's scary to think about, especially if you don't see any of your
friends acting like it's a big deal.
There is research that goes along with that, that at least in
meteorology, where I was trained.  There are studies saying that in
order to take shelter in a tornado warning, you need to have a signal
from scientists, or from some official source, that the tornado is real
and it's heading towards you, and that needs to be someone that you
trust.  But also you need to verify that with someone directly in terms
of I need to physically talk with someone nearby, or see other people
taking action, before I take action. There needs to be some sort of
visual or personal communication to verify in our brains that this is a
major disaster that's imminent, that I need to drop everything and take
radical action.
I feel like we're in a similar scenario with climate change.  It's
really clear that very, very few people are radically changing their
lives, or even advocating for radical change.  Even fewer are trying to
do that in a way that matches the way our brains work, that we need to
be doing this together as a community.  That's the only way that we will
be able to convince ourselves that it's a real thing. Increasingly you
are able to look at your window and see the direct impacts of climate
change.  We all have little signs that those things are happening, like
an early spring, or hearing about it on the news more recently...
- - - -
Direct participatory democracy at the local level, in terms of groups of
people, 5-10 to 100, meeting together to talk about their hopes and
dreams and how to make it happen, is probably the most important thing
that we could be doing right now.  I don't know how to incentivise
that.  I'm not a policy person.  I'm not a marketing person or an
activist or an organiser or anything.  I don't know how to get people
excited enough to do that, but I think a world where that is happening
is really hopeful.
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-03-20/eric-holthaus-on-imagination-our-brains-are-constantly-being-encouraged-to-give-up/

[the Inquisition]
*Pruitt's Anti-Climate Agenda Is Facing New Challenge From Science
Advisers
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23052018/scott-pruitt-epa-climate-change-clean-power-plan-scientific-review-board-trump-administration>*
Members of the Science Advisory Board, including some Pruitt appointees,
are raising concerns about EPA's regulatory rollback for lacking
adequate scientific basis.
Scott Pruitt, the embattled head of the Environmental Protection Agency,
faces a broadening challenge to his efforts to roll back greenhouse gas
regulations, as agency science advisers expand the list of policies they
want to vet at an upcoming meeting.
A work group of the EPA's Science Advisory Board, ina May 18 memo
<https://yosemite.epa.gov/sab/sabproduct.nsf//9263940BB05B89A885258291006AC017/$File/WG_Memo_Fall17_RegRevAttsABC.pdf>,
has added three more of his actions to a list they want reviewed by the
full board: the weakening of auto efficiency and emissions standards,
Pruitt's elimination of a rule to curb truck pollution, and the
cost-benefit analysis underpinning theClean Power Plan
<https://insideclimatenews.org/tags/clean-power-plan>, which the Trump
administration is trying to undo.Inan April 30 memo,
<https://yosemite.epa.gov/sab/sabproduct.nsf//A4070377D540D61B8525827F0075E673/$File/SABWkGrpSpring2017Att+ABC.pdf>the
work group called for the full board to review Pruitt's repealing of the
Clean Power Plan
The main purpose of the board is to review the quality and relevance of
scientific research used by theEPA
<https://insideclimatenews.org/topic/epa>to draft regulations.
The group's actions signal that the full board's May 30 meeting will be
partly devoted to the scientific community's harshest critiques of
PresidentDonald Trump
<https://insideclimatenews.org/tags/donald-trump>'s deregulatory agenda.
The same 10-member work group, which includes four of Pruitt's own
appointees, already hadcalled
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/17052018/scott-pruitt-epa-secret-science-health-fossil-fuel-industry>for
a full board review of his effort to restrict the agency's use of
scientific studies...
- - - -
The work group also urged the Science Advisory Board to review the
cost-benefit analysis that underpinned the decision to repeal the Clean
Power Plan.
That document, a complex appendix to the final rule, is known as the
"regulatory impact analysis," and the Pruitt team manipulated several of
its core calculations to justify jettisoning the Obama regulation.-
Marianne Lavelle
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23052018/scott-pruitt-epa-climate-change-clean-power-plan-scientific-review-board-trump-administration

[800 MW = 800 thousand households]
*Mass. Selects Vineyard Wind For 800-Megawatt Offshore Wind Farm
<http://www.wbur.org/bostonomix/2018/05/23/vineyard-wind-massachusetts-offshore-farm>*
May 23, 2018
Matt Murphy, State House News Service
Vineyard Wind, a project backed by a Danish fund management company, has
been chosen by the Baker administration and state utilities to build an
800-megawatt offshore wind farm off the southern coast of Martha's
Vineyard, officials announced Wednesday.
The project beat two other competitors for the contract authorized under
a 2016 renewable energy law that called for the procurement of major
hydroelectric and offshore wind resources to help reduce the state's
carbon footprint and deliver clean, cost effective energy to the region...
http://www.wbur.org/bostonomix/2018/05/23/vineyard-wind-massachusetts-offshore-farm
- - - -
[Audio Radio Boston]
*Vineyard Wind Will Build Nation's 1st Industrial-Sized Offshore Wind
Farm Off Mass. Coas*t
<http://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2018/05/23/vineyard-wind-farm>
Massachusetts officials have announced that Vineyard Wind will build the
nation's first industrial-sized offshore wind project off the coast of
Martha's Vineyard.
http://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2018/05/23/vineyard-wind-farm

[closed-to-the-public]
*Koch-Backed and Anti-Renewable Energy Groups Wooing Interior Department
Official
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/05/23/koch-edison-electric-institute-wooing-interior-department-vincent-devito>*
Vincent DeVito
Fossil fuel groups backed by the Koch brothers and lobbyists for
anti-renewable energy entities have been courting an Interior Department
official responsible for energy policy, according to internal documents.
Vincent DeVito, a senior energy advisor to Interior Secretary Ryan
Zinke, has received considerable attention from these groups, accepting
several invitations to closed meetings and conferences.
DeVito, a former lawyer and lobbyist for the Boston-based firm Bowditch
and Dewey, joined Trump's Interior Department as a political appointee
in early 2017, and has already loomed as a key official responsible for
rolling back federal species protections at the behest of the fossil
fuel industry.
His calendar and travel documents, recently released through an open
records request and reviewed by DeSmog, show that in his first few
months in office, DeVito attended many energy industry events.
Agenda: 'Easing Barriers' to Fossil Fuel Development
In June last year, DeVito received an invitation to attend a meeting in
Boston of the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a national trade group
representing investor-owned utilities. The invitation was sent by
Michael Whatley, a lobbyist for the firm HBW Resources, which runs the
fossil fuel-backed front group Consumer Energy Alliance (CEA), of which
EEI is a member..
- - - -
The Department of Interior did not respond to detailed questions about
this story.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/05/23/koch-edison-electric-institute-wooing-interior-department-vincent-devito

[pollution corruption]
*University of Alberta air quality research reviewed by coal producer
prior to publication, documents reveal
<https://thenarwhal.ca/university-of-alberta-air-quality-research-reviewed-by-coal-producer-prior-to-publication-documents-reveal/>*
Carol Linnitt May 23, 2018
Research released by the University of Alberta's School of Public Health
on the health effects of coal-fired power plants was reviewed prior to
publication by TransAlta, one of Alberta's largest utility providers and
coal producers, documents released to The Narwhal under the Freedom of
Information Act reveal.
More than 550 pages of emails and documents exchanged between TransAlta
executives and University of Alberta researcher Warren Kindzierski show
the company was heavily involved in assigning, reviewing and publicizing
research that would promote the coal industry as the government moved
forward with a province-wide coal phase-out.
The correspondence between Kindzierski and TransAlta show the researcher
sought input from company executives on draft versions of his research,
asking how the company would like to proceed based on his findings.
Kindzierski also accompanied TransAlta executives to meetings with
government officials where Kindzierski presented slides reviewed in
advance by the company.
The documents also show Kindzierski offered pointers for TransAlta
communications personnel to consider during the development of company
messaging.
In one email to TransAlta, Kindzierski tells officials they will "not be
disappointed" in his findings....
- - - -
"He has even gone so far as to suggest that instead of air pollution
being harmful to human health, it is neutral, or even possibly
beneficial. This would be analogous to me, as a physician, to stating
smoking is good for you."
Last year Vipond launched a complaint against Kindzierski with the
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
(APEGA) for violating his professional code of conduct as outlined in
the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act. The Narwhal has learned
the investigation into Kindzierski has been ongoing for over 12 months
and relates to complaints made by at least one additional individual.
Vipond said he finds it disturbing Kindzierski participated in
TransAlta's presentations to government as a representative of the
University of Alberta's School of Public Health.
"It nauseates me to think our institutions have been corrupted in such a
manner."
https://thenarwhal.ca/university-of-alberta-air-quality-research-reviewed-by-coal-producer-prior-to-publication-documents-reveal/

[Tamino the Statistics Guru]
*Sea Level Data: Church & White, or Jevrejeva et al.
<https://wp.me/p2dVD-2wR>*
by tamino|May 24, 2018
Before the satellite era, the best data we have about sea level comes
from tide gauges. They give local sea level, which is the difference
between the height of the sea surface and the height of the land (it can
move up and down too). It is possible - but very complicated - to
combine  data from tide gauges around the world in order to estimate how
global mean sea level (GMSL) has changed over the past
century-and-a-half or so...
- - - - -
Most of them are in Europe and North America, simply because most tide
gauge stations (and especially those with long enough records) are
there, but there's a smattering of stations in other parts of the world.
For each of the 102 "enough-data" stations I computed the difference
between the 1930-1960 trend and the 1960-1990 trend. Recall that the cw
data say the global average decrease was 0.36 mm/yr while the jev data
suggest 2.32 mm/yr. Here's a histogram of the decrease as estimated at
individual tide gauges:
- - - -
All of this means that we should be using the cw data, not the jev data.
Let me make one thing clear: that does not mean that Jevrejeva et al.
are incompetent. The "virtual station method" was an ingenious solution
to a problem that needed addressing (essentially, area-weighting). The
fact that it can overemphasize a small number of stations is a flaw, but
when smart people invent new methods it's all too easy for honest and
intelligent researchers not to grasp all its implications right off the
bat. The fact that the "first difference method" (which was well known
even before their research) is tremendously flawed is something that was
missed by nearly everybody. I myself considered it one of the best way
to align stations' data until I looked very closely into the matter.
Jevrejeva et al. aren't fools, and in no way are they dishonest, in fact
they did a great deal of work and identified important issues which we
can't ignore, making great progress in advancing our understanding of
historical sea level rise. The fact that there were unknown flaws in
some of their methods and that subsequent research has done a better job
of it  -  that's just science.
Unfortunately, climate deniers seem to know only two possible
explanations for scientific data: either it supports their world-view,
or it's some kind of fraud. Real scientists know that research can
arrive at mistaken conclusions, not because of some global conspiracy to
destroy America, but because science is difficult, complex, intricate,
and we don't always get everything right the first time.
I suspect that among scientists the Jevrejeva et al. data will fall out
of favor because it has demonstrable flaws. Among climate deniers, it
will remain a favorite because it supports a tiny part of their
climate-denier worldview. In my opinion, their support for purely
ideological reasons is a genuine insult to the efforts of Jevrejeva et
al. Criticism of their work for purely scientific reasons is how real
science works, and I strongly suspect that Jevrejeva and colleagues
would agree.
https://wp.me/p2dVD-2wR

[Fresh Air Movie Review]
NPR
*'First Reformed' Asks: 'Will God Forgive Us For Destroying His
Creation?'
<https://www.npr.org/2018/05/16/611590499/first-reformed-asks-will-god-forgive-us-for-destroying-his-creation>*
[6 minute audio report}
First Reformed is a stunner, a spiritually probing work of art with the
soul of a thriller, realized with a level of formal control and fierce
moral anger that we seldom see in American movies.
This isn't just Paul Schrader's best picture in years; it distills his
brilliant, erratic career into one magnum opus. It brings together his
background in Calvinist theology, his fascination with male sociopathic
rage and his scholarly expertise on the austere, contemplative style of
filmmakers like Carl Theodor Dreyer and Yasujirō Ozu.
If that sounds like a lot to process, don't worry: It's also a hell of a
compelling story.
Ethan Hawke brings a powerful sense of inner turmoil to the role of
Reverend Ernst Toller, a former military chaplain who now leads a tiny
congregation at a Dutch Reformed church in upstate New York. The nearly
250-year-old chapel has since been absorbed by a wealthy, well-attended
mega-church called Abundant Life Ministries.
One of Toller's few parishioners is a young woman named Mary, played by
Amanda Seyfried, who asks him to counsel her husband, Michael, an ex-con
and environmental activist. Michael, played by Philip Ettinger, is so
depressed and frightened by the devastating implications of climate
change that he wants Mary, pregnant with their child, to have an abortion.
In counseling Michael, Toller opens up about his own experience with
grief and despair; the minister is mourning his own son, who died in the
war in Iraq after Toller encouraged him to enlist in the military.
Their back-and-forth between is a masterwork of spiritual interrogation,
in which Toller's urgent plea for hope collides with the full force of
Michael's torment.
Schrader shoots the dialogue and the entire film in long, measured
takes, rarely moving the camera or cutting away unless necessary. In
scene after scene he plants us in the room with the characters, forcing
us to adjust to the unhurried rhythms of their conversation. But despite
its measured pacing and formal spareness, First Reformed has a powerful
sense of narrative drive.
"Will God forgive us for destroying His creation?" Michael asks, and
before long Toller is asking the same question  -  especially when he
learns that Abundant Life, the parent church, is in business with one of
the region's biggest industrial polluters.
First Reformed is essentially the story of a minister's extreme doubt,
disillusionment and radicalization. It doesn't help that Toller has so
little to live for: His health is declining rapidly and he's seemingly
determined to drink himself to death in any case. His thin, ravaged body
becomes a stark metaphor for the dying Earth itself.
First Reformed isn't the subtlest of theological provocations. With his
explicit references to the Iraq War and climate change, Schrader is
implicating modern evangelical Christianity for what he perceives as its
lapses in moral leadership and co-opting by the conservative right. The
plotting may be a little convenient, but Schrader makes no attempt to
conceal the fact that he's written a polemic. It's both a work of deep
introspection and a call to arms.
The movie isn't undone by these contradictions; it's fulfilled by them.
Toller finds himself drawing closer to the kind, gentle Mary, but even
that can't stop him from harboring dark and increasingly violent
thoughts towards the church. At times, First Reformed suggests a loose
remake of Taxi Driver by way of Robert Bresson's Diary of a Country
Priest. Schrader even throws in references to Ingmar Bergman's Winter
Light and Andrei Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice for good measure.
Hawke has said that his great-grandmother longed for him to be a priest;
it may not have been his destiny, but he was certainly born to play one.
Ettinger and Seyfried are heartbreaking in their vulnerability, and so,
too, is Victoria Hill as a church choir director who carries a torch for
Toller, but earns only his unbridled contempt.
The most surprising performance comes from a terrific Cedric the
Entertainer, billed here as Cedric Kyles. He plays Reverend Joel
Jeffers, the charismatic but deeply compromised head pastor of Abundant
Life.
At one point Jeffers tries to get Toller to snap out of his despair,
telling him, "You're always in the garden! Even Jesus wasn't always in
the garden." First Reformed itself feels like the work of an artist who
has spent a lot of time in his own private Gethsemane, wrestling with
his demons. By the end of this beautifully sustained movie, it's
Schrader's career that's been resurrected.
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/16/611590499/first-reformed-asks-will-god-forgive-us-for-destroying-his-creation

*This Day in Climate History - May 25, 1992 - from D.R. Tucker*
May 25, 1992: The New York Times editorial page calls for a price on
carbon, stating:

    "The prudent course for the West is to impose taxes that help the
    environment, and incidentally combat global warming. The best choice
    would be a modest tax on carbon-based fuels.
    "A carbon tax equivalent to, say, 25 cents per gallon of gasoline would
    help reduce pollution. Incidentally, it might be enough to help cut
    back
    greenhouse emissions in the West to 1990 levels by 2000 -- the policy
    environmentalists fought, unsuccessfully, to have adopted at next
    month's Earth Summit in Brazil."

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/25/opinion/on-global-warming-why-no-carbon-tax.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that