[TheClimate.Vote] November 6, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Nov 6 09:31:32 EST 2018

/November 6, 2018/

[Start with humor from the Nib]
*Some Comics Before You Hit the Polls <https://thenib.com/magic-on-deck>*
https://thenib.com/magic-on-deck

[Look up exactly what's on your ballot]
*What's on your ballot? <https://ballotpedia.org/Main_Page>*
Find out with Ballotpedia's Sample Ballot Lookup tool
https://ballotpedia.org/Main_Page
- -
[vote completely]
*Flip Your Ballot: A Soothing Cheese Voter Guide | Fuller Frontaler on
TBS <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrxREfjQcHM>*
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Published on Nov 5, 2018
When you vote on Tuesday, don't forget to flip your ballot over because
there's some important stuff there. Watch some cheese while Sam explains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrxREfjQcHM
- -
[Iowa voters]
*In Iowa Farm Country, These Candidates Are Taking on Climate Deniers
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01112018/election-2018-iowa-climate-change-king-scholten-blum-finkenauer-young-axne-congress-farmers-rain-trump-tariffs>*
This election will test how long the farm state is willing to tolerate
elected leaders who deny one of the greatest risks to the farming industry.
By Marianne Lavelle - NOV 1, 2018
Key in all three of the contested Iowa congressional races are farmers,
who have been battered by Trump's trade and energy policies as surely as
they've been pummeled by the weather...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01112018/election-2018-iowa-climate-change-king-scholten-blum-finkenauer-young-axne-congress-farmers-rain-trump-tariffs

[Foreign Affairs Magazine]
*How to Understand the Geopolitics of Climate Change
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/lists/how-to-understand-the-geopolitics-of-climate-change>*
As the World Warms, How Should States Respond?
- - 1
Warming World
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2018-06-14/warming-world>
by Joshua Busby
The disruption to the earth's climate will ultimately command more
attention and resources and have a greater influence on global affairs
than other forces visible in the world today.
Read More - https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2018-06-14/warming-world
- - 2
The Two-Degree Delusion
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/world/2018-02-08/two-degree-delusion>
by Ted Nordhaus
The focus on the two-degree Celsius warming target in global efforts to
address climate change leaves the world ill prepared to mitigate or
manage the consequences of a warming planet.
Read More -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/world/2018-02-08/two-degree-delusion
- - 3
Climate Change Is A Chronic Condition
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2018-09-18/climate-change-chronic-condition>
And Policymakers Need to Respond to It Accordingly
by Kate Gordon and Julio Friedmann
Climate events are no longer one-off incidents but chronic problems. The
burden of managing the impacts and preparing local infrastructure for
inevitable future disasters falls largely on city and state governments.
Read More -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2018-09-18/climate-change-chronic-condition
- - 4
Paris Isn't Burning
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2017-05-22/paris-isnt-burning>
by Brian Deese
The United States' withdrawal has not destroyed the Paris agreement
entirely. But Trump's actions can still cause the United States serious
diplomatic and economic pain—and cost the world precious time.
Read More -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2017-05-22/paris-isnt-burning
- -5
The Clean Energy Revolution
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2016-04-18/clean-energy-revolution>
by Varun Sivaram and Teryn Norris
Fighting climate change successfully will require leveling the economic
playing field between clean and dirty energy, as well as encouraging
investment in innovative clean energy technology.
Read More -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2016-04-18/clean-energy-revolution
- - 6
Climate Extremes And Global Health
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2018-07-31/climate-extremes-and-global-health>
by Veerabhadran Ramanathan, Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo, Partha Dasgupta,
Joachim von Braun, and David G. Victor
Extreme climate events, such as heat waves, the collapse of major ice
sheets, and mass extinctions, are becoming more probable, and their
far-reaching effects will include immediate risks to human health.
more at -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2018-07-31/climate-extremes-and-global-health
Front -
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/lists/how-to-understand-the-geopolitics-of-climate-change

[text in bold on Juliana progress]
[Legal hurdles facing Juliana case - from SCOTUS ruling]
*ORDER IN PENDING CASE 18A410 IN RE UNITED STATES, ET AL.
<https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/110218zr2_8ok0.pdf>*
The Government notes that *the suit is based on an assortment of**
**unprecedented legal theories, such as a substantive due process**
**right to certain climate conditions, and an equal protection**
**right to live in the same climate as enjoyed by prior**
**generations.* The Government further points out that plaintiffs
ask the District Court to create a "national remedial plan" to
stabilize the climate and "restore the Earth's energy balance."
The District Court denied the Government's dispositive
motions, stating that "[t]his action is of a different order than
the typical environmental case.*It alleges that defendants'**
**actions and inactions—whether or not they violate any specific**
**statutory duty—have so profoundly damaged our home planet that**
**they threaten plaintiffs' fundamental constitutional rights to**
**life and liberty."* Juliana v. United States, 217 F. Supp. 3d
1224, 1261 (Ore. 2016). The District Court declined to certify
its orders for interlocutory review under 28 U. S. C. §1292(b)
(permitting such review when the district court certifies that
its order "involves a controlling question of law as to which
there is substantial ground for difference of opinion and that an
immediate appeal . . . may materially advance the ultimate
termination of the litigation"). See this Court's order of July
30, 2018, No. 18A65 (noting that the "striking" breadth of
plaintiffs' claims "presents substantial grounds for difference
of opinion").
At this time, however, the Government's petition for a writ
of mandamus does not have a "fair prospect" of success in this
Court because adequate relief may be available in the United
States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit...
more at - https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/110218zr2_8ok0.pdf
- - -
*Juliana v. United States
<http://climatecasechart.com/case/juliana-v-united-states/?cn-reloaded=1>*
Action by young plaintiffs asserting that the federal government
violated their constitutional rights by causing dangerous carbon dioxide
concentrations.
http://climatecasechart.com/case/juliana-v-united-states/?cn-reloaded=1
- -
[Our Children's Trust]
*JULIANA v. U.S. - CLIMATE LAWSUIT*
<https://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/us/federal-lawsuit/>
*"Exercising my 'reasoned judgment,' I have no doubt that the right to a
climate system capable of sustaining human life is fundamental to a free
and ordered society." –*
- U.S. District Judge Ann Aiken
https://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/us/federal-lawsuit/

[Democracy Now interviews Noam Chomsky]
*Noam Chomsky: The Future of Organized Human Life Is At Risk Thanks to
GOP's Climate Change Denial <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-YiZGEtaQ>*
Democracy Now!
Video and transcript published on Nov 5, 2018
https://democracynow.org - Just weeks after the United Nations warned
that humanity has only a dozen years to mitigate global warming and
limit the scope of global catastrophe, we speak with world-renowned
political dissident, linguist and author Noam Chomsky. He says, "We have
to make decisions now which will literally determine whether organized
human life can survive in any decent form."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-YiZGEtaQ

[For election day stress: a classic of sarcasm/satire]
*22 Minutes: Angrier Yoga <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iSHhpj67Y>*
CBC Comedy
Published on Nov 18, 2014
Yoga practice gets a reality check when enlightenment meets truth and an
instructor on the edge
Before Angrier Yoga, there was Angry Yoga: http://bitly/angryyoga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iSHhpj67Y

*This Day in Climate History - November 6, 1990
<http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108237> - from D.R. Tucker*
November 6, 1990: In a speech to the 2nd World Climate Conference in
Geneva, Margaret Thatcher declares,
[THE NEED FOR A GLOBAL CONVENTION]

    But our immediate task this week is to carry as many countries as
    possible with us, so that we can negotiate a successful framework
    convention on climate change in 1992. We must also begin work on the
    binding commitments that will be necessary to make the convention work.

    To accomplish these tasks, we must not waste time and energy
    disputing the IPCC's report or debating the right machinery for
    making progress. The International Panel's work should be taken as
    our sign post: and the United Nations Environment Programme and the
    World Meteorological Organisation as the principal vehicles for
    reaching our destination.

    We shan't succeed if we are all too inflexible. We shan't succeed if
    we indulge in selfrighteous point-scoring for the benefit of
    audiences and voters at home. We have to work sympathetically
    together. We have to recognise the importance of economic growth of
    a kind that benefits future as well as present generations
    everywhere. We need it not only to raise living standards but to
    generate the wealth required to pay for protection of the environment.

    It would be absurd to adopt polices which would bankrupt the
    industrial nations, or doom the poorer countries to increasing
    poverty. We have to recognise the widely differing circumstances
    facing individual countries, with the better-off assisting the
    poorer ones as we agreed to do under the Montreal Protocol.

    The differences can't be drafted away in that famous phrase so
    beloved of diplomats "a form of words" . They need to be resolved by
    tolerant and sympathetic understanding of our various positions.
    Some of us use energy more efficiently than [end p5] others. Some
    are less dependent on fossil fuels. We each have our own economic
    characteristics, resources, plans and hopes for the future. These
    are the realities that we must face if we are to move forward
    towards a successful conclusion to our negotiations in 1992.

    Just as philosophies, religions and ideals know no boundaries, so
    the protection of our planet itself involves rich and poor, North
    and South, East and West. All of us have to play our part if we are
    to succeed. And succeed we must for the sake of this and future
    generations.

    One of our great poets, George Herbert, in his poem on "Man" wrote this:

    "Man is all symmetry
    Full of proportions, one limb to another, And all to all the world
    besides;
    Each part may call the farthest, brother; For head with foot hath
    private amity
    And both with moons and tides."
    We are, as the poet said, in symmetry with nature. To keep that
    precious balance, we need to work together for our environment. The
    United Kingdom will work with all of you and all the world besides
    in this cause—to save our common inheritance for generations yet to
    come. Thank you Mr. Chairman.

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108237

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that