[TheClimate.Vote] November 7, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Nov 7 10:10:00 EST 2018

/November 7, 2018/

[The Late Show 10 min video - serious report]
*The Dems' House Win Is A 'BFD' Says Alex Wagner And John Heilemann
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE-XptVKWI>*
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Published on Nov 7, 2018
Showtime's 'The Circus' hosts Alex Wagner And John Heilemann encourage
Democrats not to downplay the importance of their House win, calling it
a 'BFD.' (see: Google's search results for 'BFD').
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE-XptVKWI
[more comedic responses from the Late Show]
*Midterms 2018: The Good, The Bad, And Ted Cruz
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdDuW1jElQ>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdDuW1jElQ
[comment road ahead uglier]
*The Midterms Panel: John Heilemann, Alex Wagner And Hasan Minhaj
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brZhQbfCxwQ>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brZhQbfCxwQ
- - -
[David Roberts has a good roundup of the ballot measures]
*Fossil fuel money crushed clean energy ballot initiatives across the
country
<https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/7/18069940/election-results-2018-energy-carbon-fracking-ballot-initiatives>*
A carbon tax, limits on fracking, a renewable energy standard -- all
defeated.

    The lessons of this year's initiatives
    To me, the lesson of this year's energy initiatives is pretty clear:
    When big oil wants to, it can spend unlimited amounts of money and
    crush efforts at direct democracy.
    And it wants to. Where it chose to spend -- notably, on 1631 in
    Washington and 112 in Colorado -- it won.
    As I said in this piece, this rather puts the lie to the notion that
    oil and gas companies plan to be productive partners in the climate
    fight. They can and will fight it at the grassroots level.
    More broadly, ballot initiatives, like US politics generally, are
    becoming a battle of billionaires. Big money flows in virtually
    unrestricted. And it is effective.
    Decamping from the federal level to the states is not going to allow
    clean energy proponents to escape that dynamic.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/7/18069940/election-results-2018-energy-carbon-fracking-ballot-initiatives
- - -
[From Nexus Hot News - ClimateNexus <https://climatenexus.org/>]
*Climate Shifts in The House:
<https://mailchi.mp/climatenexus/climate-shifts-in-the-house-industry-money-wins-at-the-ballot-box-more>*
Ten Republican members of the House Climate Solutions Caucus, including
co-chair Carlos Curbelo of Florida, lost their seats Tuesday evening as
voters ushered in Democratic control of the House. Eight retiring GOP
members and representatives who lost their seats earlier in the year in
midterms means that the future of the caucus--which climate hawks have
criticized as ineffectual and providing political cover for
Republicans--could be in jeopardy. Tuesday's Democratic shakeup also
made way for a handful of new climate-focused progressives focused on
enacting a "Green New Deal" to form a small bloc in the new Congress.
And incumbent Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in an interview with the New
York Times last week that she would urge the House to reestablish a
climate-focused panel to "prepare the way with evidence" for climate and
clean energy policies and disaster preparation. (Climate Solutions
Caucus:Huffington Post
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/curbelo-fl-26_us_5bd9dbbbe4b01abe6a1a8392?mha>,Grist
<https://grist.org/article/the-midterms-could-spell-the-end-of-this-bipartisan-climate-caucus/>,Mother
Jones
<https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2018/11/future-of-house-climate-caucus-in-doubt-as-carlos-curbelo-concedes/>.
Green New Deal:Huffington Post
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/green-new-deal-progressive-democrats_us_5be26f5be4b0769d24c6a954?jz>.
Pelosi:New York Times
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/us/politics/house-democrats-nancy-pelosi.html>$)
- - -
[Day after election - Washington Post Opinion]
*The Energy 202: Climate change isn't usually a big issue for voters.
But the U.N. report gave some Democrats a talking point.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-energy-202/2018/11/06/the-energy-202-climate-change-isn-t-usually-a-big-issue-for-voters-but-the-u-n-report-gave-some-democrats-a-talking-point/5be0acdb1b326b39290545f9/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5bf42897fc39>*
- -
Climate change usually doesn't play at the polls.  Voters invariably
rank more immediate and personal concerns, such as paying their own
medical expenses or tax bills, as higher priorities than addressing the
steady rise in temperatures globally.

Nevertheless, some Democratic candidates chose to talk about climate
change on the 2018 campaign trail anyway, seeking to counter President
Trump's dismissal of the climate science saying human activity is
dangerously warming the planet.

That handful of House hopefuls got some ammunition this October: A
report from the leading climate scientists that the world is close to
failure in holding man-made global warming to moderate levels.

On Oct. 7, only 30 days before Election Day, the United Nations'
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported the world's
nations need to undertake "unprecedented" action to cut their carbon
emissions over the next decade enough to keep the planet from warming
1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, past preindustrial levels.

The timing could not have been better for the smattering of Democratic
nominees who want to contrast their environmental agenda with the GOP's.
They pointed to the U.N.'s findings as reason the United States needs to
rein in greenhouse gas emission -- and, even more immediately, why the
nation needs to elect them to office.

"What it said in a nutshell -- I'll save you some time -- we've got
about 15 years to take action," Mike Levin, a Democratic House
candidate, told voters in suburban Southern California, according to the
Washington Examiner.
Other Democrats referred to that tight time frame as well. Elaine Luria,
the Democratic challenger in Virginia's 2nd District on the
commonwealth's coast, said the report representing the work of nearly
100 scientists is "a wake-up call for all of us to take climate change
seriously." Sean Casten, running for Congress in suburban Chicago,
called it a "wake-up call," too.

"We have 10 years to get climate under control," he told the Daily
Herald in Illinois...
more at -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-energy-202/2018/11/06/the-energy-202-climate-change-isn-t-usually-a-big-issue-for-voters-but-the-u-n-report-gave-some-democrats-a-talking-point/5be0acdb1b326b39290545f9/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5bf42897fc39

[Surprise]
*UK renewable energy capacity surpasses fossil fuels for first time
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/06/uk-renewable-energy-capacity-surpasses-fossil-fuels-for-first-time>*
Renewable capacity has tripled in past five years, even faster growth
than the 'dash for gas' of the 1990s
The capacity of renewable energy has overtaken that of fossil fuels in
the UK for the first time, in a milestone that experts said would have
been unthinkable a few years ago.

In the past five years, the amount of renewable capacity has tripled
while fossil fuels' has fallen by one-third, as power stations reached
the end of their life or became uneconomic.

The result is that between July and September, the capacity of wind,
solar, biomass and hydropower reached 41.9 gigawatts, exceeding the
41.2GW capacity of coal, gas and oil-fired power plants...
more at -
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/06/uk-renewable-energy-capacity-surpasses-fossil-fuels-for-first-time

[overshoot]
*World lacks enough plants for healthy diet
<https://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/world-lacks-enough-plants-for-healthy-diet?e=30dc80e2f6>*
Guidelines for a healthy diet emphasise fresh fruit and vegetables.
Right now, there may not be enough in the gardens to nourish a cooler,
healthier world.
By Tim Radford
LONDON, 5 November, 2018 − Canadian scientists have confirmed once again
that a healthy diet is the best way to help contain global warming and
feed 9.8 billion people by 2050. And that involves, among other things,
a global shift away from meat-eating and towards consuming plants instead.

But they have also done the sums and identified a problem: the world
just does not produce enough of the fruits and vegetables that are at
the heart of nutritional health guidelines almost everywhere.

"We simply can't all adopt a healthy diet under the current global
agricultural system," said Evan Fraser, a researcher in global food
security at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada.

"Results show that the global system currently overproduces grains, fats
and sugars, while production of fruit and vegetables and, to a smaller
degree, protein is not sufficient to meet the nutritional needs of the
current population."

"The only way to eat a nutritionally balanced diet, save land and reduce
greenhouse gas emissions is to consume and produce more fruits and
vegetables"

It has become an axiom of climate science that the clearing of
wilderness to create more pasture and fodder crops for livestock can
only accelerate global warming, and a global shift to the US and north
European diet would require an extra billion hectares of grazing land...
more at -
https://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/world-lacks-enough-plants-for-healthy-diet?e=30dc80e2f6
- - -
PUBLIC RELEASE: 25-OCT-2018
*Not enough fruits, vegetables grown to feed the planet, U of G study
reveals <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-10/uog-nef102518.php>*
University of Guelph researchers compared global agricultural production
with nutritionists' consumption recommendations and found we aren't
producing enough fruits and vegetables to feed everyone on the planet a
healthy diet
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-10/uog-nef102518.php

THE CENTER FOR CLIMATE & SECURITY
EXPLORING THE SECURITY RISKS OF CLIMATE CHANGE
*Chairman of the Joint Chiefs: Climate change a source of conflict
around the world
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/11/06/chairman-of-the-joint-chiefs-climate-change-a-source-of-conflict-around-the-world/>*
General_Joseph_F._DunfordAt an event hosted by Duke University's Program
in American Grand Strategy, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff,
General Joe Dunford, responded to a question on climate change from a