[TheClimate.Vote] November 11, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Nov 11 09:48:39 EST 2018

/November 11, 2018/

[video and condition summary]
*California now in Perpetual Fire Season, Will Get Worse! Thanks to
Global Warming* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyX1HXcI8K8>
Climate State
Published on Nov 10, 2018
Northern California blaze quadruples in size, levels Paradise, a town of
30,000; other fires rage near Los Angeles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyX1HXcI8K8

- - -
*With California's Raging Fires, Fear And Devastation
<https://www.npr.org/2018/11/10/666555151/with-californias-raging-fires-fear-and-devastation>*
November 10, 20186:54 PM ET
Sasha Ingber
 From north to south, California was engulfed by five identified fires
on Saturday. Strong winds, low humidity, drought and vegetation so dry
as to act as matchsticks exacerbated the flames. Altogether, at least
nine people have died and more than 250,000 people driven out of their
homes.
"One firefighter went to his house, knocked down the flames and figured
his house was going to make it," Scott McLean, a deputy chief with the
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, told NPR. "He
came back and it had burned to the ground."
Of the nine confirmed fatalities, five were found inside cars that were
overwhelmed by flames, three outside residences, and one inside a home,
according to the Butte County Sheriff's Office. Names of the victims
have not been released.
Another 35 people were reported missing, McLean said.
He added that the fire took less than two hours to reach the small town
of Paradise, which it proceeded to devour.
Some people, attempting to flee the fire, were stuck in traffic and left
their cars behind to run with their families.
According to Cal Fire, the fire has grown into 100,000 acres and was 20
percent contained by Saturday morning. It was still burning in Paradise,
and authorities estimated the fire may be fully contained by Nov. 30.

Nearly 6,500 residences have been destroyed and another 15,000
threatened, according to emergency officials. Authorities expect that
strong northeastern winds will start up again in the evening,
potentially spreading across one of California's biggest lakes into the
city of Oroville.
Red flag warnings will return in the evening, McLean said, marking
strong winds and dropping humidity.
More than 3,200 personnel are involved in the firefighting effort.
The bodies of two people have been discovered in Malibu but it is
unclear whether their deaths were caused by fire.

"Right now we have not been able to investigate the situation because
the area hasn't been rendered safe yet," L.A. County Sheriff's
Department Deputy Grace Medrano told NPR.

The Woolsey Fire, a brush fire that started Thursday some 500 miles
south, grew more than twice its size from Friday to Saturday, spanning
70,000 acres. It crossed U.S. Highway 101 just a few miles east of
Thousand Oaks, where 12 people died in a bar shooting Wednesday night.

Crews were battling extreme flames on steep terrain. By the evening, the
fire was still zero percent contained.

It sent thousands fleeing after mandatory evacuations in Los Angeles and
Ventura counties. Officials said they had not been able to tally the
number of homes that were destroyed, the Los Angeles Times reported, but
sheriff's officials in Ventura County put the number at 50 or more.

Another fire, called Hill Fire, measured a little more than 4,500 acres
on Saturday. "It seems to be stopped and burned into an area where
firefighters can get a handle on it," McLean said. It traveled into an
old burn scar, where a previous fire had passed years ago. As it
thinned, firefighters were able to get closer and control it -- at least
temporarily.

Lady Gaga, Alyssa Milano and Kim Kardashian West were among the
California residents who had to flee their homes.

"I am thinking so deeply for everyone who is suffering today from these
abominable fires & grieving the loss of their homes or loved ones," Lady
Gaga said. "I'm sitting here with many of you wondering if my home will
burst into flames. All we can do is pray together & for each other. God
Bless You."

"I'm waiting to hear the fate of my home. They won't let us in the
area," Milano wrote Saturday morning local time, before adding, "There
are no words for this kind of devastation."

"I heard the flames have hit our property at our home in Hidden Hills
but now are more contained and have stopped at the moment. It doesn't
seems like it is getting worse right now, I just pray the winds are in
our favor," Kardashian West said.
Cher wrote on Twitter that she was worried about her house "but there is
nothing I can do." She said she has had a house in Malibu since 1972 and
"can't bear the thought of there being no Malibu."
Authorities, fearful of looting, have ordered some 200 deputies to
protect burned neighborhoods, according to the Associated Press.

The Los Angeles Zoo announced that some of its animals, including lemurs
and birds, had been relocated but that a brush fire in nearby Griffith
Park did not enter its grounds. "The animals that were relocated have
been safely moved back to their habitats and are doing well," the zoo
said. "We are thinking of those who are battling the wildfires still
threatening Los Angeles and Ventura counties."

"A big thank you to firefighters from across the country who are helping
California's firefighters battle these blazes," Sen. Kamala Harris
tweeted Saturday. "We appreciate your work and could not be more grateful."

President Trump also took to Twitter to write: "There is no reason for
these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that
forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year,
with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the
forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/10/666555151/with-californias-raging-fires-fear-and-devastation

[plenty of refrigerant]
*First Middle East Supermarket uses CO2 Refrigerant!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4wHBY_ToTM>*
Climate State
Published on Nov 9, 2018
Al Salam military supermarket in Amman, Jordan, is the region's first to
trial an advanced refrigeration system that uses carbon dioxide (CO2) as
a refrigerant.
The project is showcasing the feasibility of non-hydrofluorocarbon-based
technology in high ambient temperature environments, as part of the
global commitment to phase out hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) through
the Montreal protocol. It is being implemented by the United Nations
Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) with the support of the
Ministry of Environment of Jordan, and is funded by the Climate and
Clean Air Coalition (CCAC).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4wHBY_ToTM

[technically, that would be humanity, not the planet]
*How Climate-Change Fiction, or "Cli-Fi," Forces Us to Confront the
Incipient Death of the Planet
<https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/how-climate-change-fiction-or-cli-fi-forces-us-to-confront-the-incipient-death-of-the-planet>*
By Katy WaldmanNovember 9, 2018
As part of its ongoing "Original Stories" series, Amazon has assembled a
collection of climate-change fiction, or cli-fi, bringing a literary
biodiversity to bear on the defining crisis of the era. This online
compilation of seven short stories, called "Warmer"--containing work
from a Pulitzer Prize winner (Jane Smiley) and two National Book Award
finalists (Lauren Groff and Jess Walter), among others--offers ways of
thinking about something we desperately do not want to think about: the
incipient death of the planet.

There is something counterintuitive about cli-fi, about the fictional
representation of scientifically substantiated predictions that too many
people discount as fictions. The genre, elsewhere exemplified by
Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam Trilogy and Nathaniel Rich's "Odds Against
Tomorrow," brings disaster forcefully to life. But it is a shadowy
mirror. Literature has always been a humanist endeavor: it intrinsically
and helplessly affirms the value of the species; its intimations of
meaning energize and comfort. But what if there is scant succor to be
had, and our true natures are not noble but necrotic, pestilential? We
have un-earthed ourselves. Yet we claim the right to gaze at our
irresponsibility and greed through fiction's tonic filter. The stories
in "Warmer," which possess the urgency of a last resort and the sorrow
of an elegy, inhabit this contradiction. They both confront and gently
transfigure the incomprehensible realities of climate change...
https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/how-climate-change-fiction-or-cli-fi-forces-us-to-confront-the-incipient-death-of-the-planet

[Jane Goodall]
*'The most intellectual creature to ever walk Earth is destroying its
only home'
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/03/the-most-intellectual-creature-to-ever-walk-earth-is-destroying-its-only-home>*
Introducing the Guardian's new series The Age of Extinction, the
renowned primatologist describes the dramatic vanishing of wildlife she
has witnessed in her lifetime - and how we can all play a vital role in
halting its destruction

It is depressing to realise how much change I have witnessed during my
84 years. I have seen the ice melting in Greenland, the glaciers
vanishing on Mount Kilimanjaro and around the world. When I arrived in
Gombe the chimpanzee population stretched for miles along the shores of
Lake Tanganyika. Buffalo, common then, are locally extinct and only a
few leopards remain.

The water of the lake was crystal clear, fish and water cobras were
abundant, and there were crocodiles. But with soil washed into the lake
and over-fishing, that changed. When I spent time in the Serengeti and
Ngorongoro in the 60s and early 70s, rhino and elephants were plentiful.
Today they have become highly endangered, killed for their tusks and
horns. I grew up in the south of England. The dawn chorus of the birds
was magical - so many of them have gone, along with the hedgehogs that
used to rustle through the vegetation at night. In May and June we had
to draw the curtains at night to keep out the hundreds of cockchafers -
May bugs, attracted to the light - today it is rare to see even one, and
the clouds of mosquitos and midges are almost gone.

Yet, I believe we have a small window of opportunity when, if we get
together, we can start to heal some of the harm we have inflicted.
Everywhere, where young people understand the problems and are empowered
to take action - when we listen to their voices, they are making a
difference. With our superior intellect we are coming up with
technological solutions to help us live in greater harmony with nature
and reduce our own ecological footprints. We have a choice each day as
to what we buy, eat and wear. And nature is amazingly resilient - there
are no more bare hills around Gombe, as an example. Species on the brink
of extinction have been given a second chance. We can reach out to the
world through social media in a way never before possible. And there is
the indomitable human spirit, the people who tackle the impossible and
won't give up. My job is to give people hope, for without it we fall
into apathy and do nothing.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/03/the-most-intellectual-creature-to-ever-walk-earth-is-destroying-its-only-home

[Pew Research Center]
*Many Turn to YouTube for Children's Content, News, How-To Lessons
<http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/11/07/many-turn-to-youtube-for-childrens-content-news-how-to-lessons/>*
An analysis of videos suggested by the site's recommendation engine
finds that users are directed toward progressively longer and more
popular content
BY AARON SMITH, SKYE TOOR AND PATRICK VAN KESSEL
A majority of Americans across a wide range of demographic groups are
YouTube adopters, with younger Americans standing out as especially avid
users of the site.
One-in-five YouTube users say it is very important for helping them
understand things that are happening in the world. A new Pew Research
Center survey of U.S. adults finds that these users are turning to
YouTube for much more than entertainment. Roughly half of YouTube users
say the platform is very important for helping them figure out how to do
things they've never done before. That works out to 35% of all U.S.
adults, once both users and non-users of the site are accounted for. And
around one-in-five YouTube users (representing 13% of the total adult
population) say it is very important for helping them understand events
that are happening in the world.
The findings also highlight YouTube's key role in providing content for
children. Fully 81% of all parents with children age 11 or younger say
they ever let their child watch videos on YouTube. And 34% of parents
say their child watches content on YouTube regularly. It should be noted
that YouTube explicitly states that the platform is not intended for
children younger than 13, and that the site provides a YouTube Kids
option for children that has enhanced parental controls...
http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/11/07/many-turn-to-youtube-for-childrens-content-news-how-to-lessons/

[Radical lecture]
*Climate Change - Why we are heading for extinction and what to do about
it <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFc4Zhvjtg>*
Real Media
Published on May 26, 2018
Roger Hallam is co-founder of the Radical Think Tank. His PhD studies
looked at protest movements and revolutionary campaigns and what factors
make them successful.
After several practical campaigns, including wins for precarious
workers, a student rent strike, and a divestment campaign at Kings
College London, he is turning his hand to climate change.
In this lecture, delivered at KCL in April, he first outlines the bleak
current scientific thinking on man-made climate change, then presents
the results of his campaigning research, and finally invites people to
join a massive civil disobedience movement to force real change and
quite possibly save mankind.
Real Media will be following his campaign and bringing you more
information over the coming months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFc4Zhvjtg

[Register now for a Nov 24th live stream]
*The Climate Emergency Plan <https://climateemergencyplan.confetti.events/>*
**LIVE BROADCAST 3.00 PM CET - We Don't Have Time | The Club of Rome |
Global Utmaning
REGISTER AND REMIND ME!
24 NOVEMBER 03:00 PM
A crucial discussion about transformation and how to expand the
movements for climate action
You are cordially invited to our live global broadcast of the
#WeDontHaveTime no-fly Climate Seminar.
Featuring: Anders Wijkman (The Club of Rome), Jamie Margolin (This is
Zero Hour), Stuart Scott (Transition University), Cathy Orlando
(Citizens' Climate Lobby), Per-Espen Stokenes (Green economics, ecology
and economic psychology), Tomer Shalit (Map Launcher),  Maja Rosén (We
are Staying on the Ground), CJ Palmér (Sustainable Impact), Jonas
Allerup (Swedish Environmental Protection Agency), Ingmar Rentzhog (We
Don't Have Time), Tove Ahlström (Global Utmaning).
3.00 PM - 5.30 PM Central (Central European Time, CET) LIVE BROADCAST
(in English) WeDontHaveTime.TV
Moderator: Catarina Rolfsdotter
If we are to stay below 2C global warming, emissions have to peak no
later than 2020. That is less than 800 days from now. Emissions must
also be cut by half by 2030, and to zero by 2050. We need an immediate
emergency response by policymakers, businesses and civil society, aimed
at an unprecedented transformation of all sectors of society. The Club
of Rome's Climate Emergency Plan, presented by Anders Wijkman, outlines
an immediate course of action for policymakers. This will be the point
of departure for a solutions-oriented seminar that advances the
conversation on how to demand and create real change. We will learn
about innovative technical platforms, the transition from conventional
growth economics, how to successfully create political change and the
growing power of youth movements.
It's time to act!   #WeDontHaveTime
https://climateemergencyplan.confetti.events/

*This Day in Climate History - November 11, 2013*
<<http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-broader-outlook-for-peril-from-storms-63016003867>>-
from D.R. Tucker*
November 11, 2013:
MSNBC's Chris Hayes reports on the horror of Typhoon Haiyan, and what it
represents from a climate standpoint.
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-broader-outlook-for-peril-from-storms-63016003867