[TheClimate.Vote] November 12, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Nov 12 05:54:30 EST 2018

/November 12, 2018/

[Still out of control]

*California wildfires: Death toll reaches grim milestone...
<https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46175339>*

Citing the role of a warming climate, Governor Brown declared: "This is
not the new normal, this is the new abnormal. The chickens are coming
home to roost, this is real here."

Musician Neil Young made the same link, writing on his website: "I have
lost my home before to a California wildfire, now another."

"We are vulnerable because of climate change; the extreme weather events
and our extended drought is part of it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46175339

[situation maps]

*California Statewide Fire Map <http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps>*

This map provides general locations of major fires burning in
California. The fire locations are approximates. Some of the fires on
the map are not in the jurisdiction of CAL FIRE and are under the
command of another local or federal fire agency.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

[Politico]

*Gov. Brown, fire-besieged California hit back at Trump over blame
tweet*
<https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/11/california-disaster-declaration-fires-trump-983168>

'Managing all the forests everywhere we can does not stop climate change
-- and those that deny that are definitely contributing to the tragedy,'
the governor says...

MATHER, Calif. -- California Gov. Jerry Brown, now seeking a "major
disaster declaration” from the White House to bolster the emergency
response to three catastrophic wildfires, warned Sunday that those who
deny climate change "are definitely contributing to the tragedy” of what
he predicted could be years of damaging firestorms due to rising
temperatures and increased drought conditions in his state.

"Things like this will be part of our future...things like this, and
worse," warned Brown at a Sunday press conference, flanked by fire and
emergency officials delivering an update on three major fires still
raging through the state which have killed 25 to date. "That’s why it’s
so important to take steps to help communities, to do prevention and
adaptation.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/11/california-disaster-declaration-fires-trump-983168

[Responsible TV News coverage]

*CNN Fact Checks Trump on California Fire*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjhk720Dp8>
greenmanbucket
Published on Nov 11, 2018

https://youtu.be/wtjhk720Dp8

[fire tweet]

If Northern California had received anywhere near the typical amount of
autumn precipitation <https://twitter.com/Weather_West>this year (around
4-5 in. of rain near #CampFire point of origin), explosive fire behavior
& stunning tragedy in #Paradise would almost certainly not have
occurred. (1/n) #CAfire #CAwx

https://twitter.com/Weather_West

["Garden of Eden into the Gates of Hell"]
*Nightly News Broadcast (Full) - November 09, 2018 | NBC Nightly News*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fAvyyvtEs>
NBC News
Published on Nov 9, 2018
California battles fast-moving wildfires, Florida at center of
undeclared elections, and gas prices fall amid abundance of oil.
NBC News is a leading source of global news and information. Here you
will find clips from NBC Nightly News, Meet The Press, and original
digital videos. Subscribe to our channel for news stories, technology,
politics, health, entertainment, science, business, and exclusive NBC
investigations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fAvyyvtEs

[different fires]

*Fighting Fire With Fire: Using Cultural Burning Practices*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg876VdW7Qk>
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg876VdW7Qk>University of California
Television (UCTV)
Published on Nov 7, 2018
(Visit: http://www.uctv.tv/) Ron Goode, Tribal Chairman of the North
Fork Mono Tribe, led UC Davis professor, Beth Rose Middleton Manning's,
students through a cultural burn. Students participated in preparing the
land and igniting the fire, and contributed to a historic indigenous
tradition. Cultural burning practices empower Native American
communities, and could possibly be used as a tool to help alleviate
devastating wildfires. Series: "UCTV Prime" [Show ID: 34098]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg876VdW7Qk

[replaced by pipelines?]

*Toshiba sheds U.S. LNG business at $800 million loss*
<https://www.lngworldnews.com/toshiba-sheds-u-s-lng-business-at-800-million-loss/>

Japanese conglomerate Toshiba Corporation has decided to withdraw from
the US LNG business transferring all the outstanding shares of Toshiba
America LNG Corporation to a third-party buyer.

While the buyer will pay $15 million for the transfer, under the
arrangement, Toshiba, through its unit Toshiba Energy Systems &
Solutions Corporation, will pay 93 billion Japanese yen ($821 million)
to the buyer, the company said in its statement on Thursday.

Under the transfer agreement, all contracts related to the sale of U.S.
LNG entered into by the Toshiba Group, including those between Toshiba
and customers will either be transferred or canceled.

The transfer finalization is scheduled for March 2019, marking complete
withdrawal from the LNG business.

Toshiba further noted the name of the third-party buyer will be unveiled
as soon as the contract is completed.

The Japanese conglomerate decided to part with its U.S. LNG assets
following the inability to find buyers for the 2.2 million tons of LNG
booked at the Freeport LNG terminal in Texas, under a 20-year deal.

Toshiba has already booked an $818 million charge for exiting the LNG
business and said the move is to avoid further losses.

https://www.lngworldnews.com/toshiba-sheds-u-s-lng-business-at-800-million-loss/

[2 astronomers in philosophical discussion]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZgsuXfRYU
Is Climate Change a Fermi Paradox Great Filter? Featuring Adam Frank
Event Horizon
Published on Nov 8, 2018
Is climate change one of the great filters for exocivilizations. Could
it be a potential answer to the Fermi Paradox. Joining John Michael
Godier on this episode of Event Horizon is Adam Frank a physicist,
astronomer, and writer. His new book Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds
and the Fate of the Earth, is an exploration of the "astrobiological”
nature of our Universe.
Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds and the Fate of the Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZgsuXfRYU

[video interview]

*Catastrophic Feedback Loops - Runaway Climate Change*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oMpbiDXhQ>
GlobalClimateNews
Published on Apr 23, 2018
Combined feedback loops are creating runaway climate change. The methane
explosion in Syberia will change the climate of the entire world.
Big takeaways from this video are:
1. Methane is 150x more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2 for the
first 10 years.
2. Methane is 86x more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2 over a 20
year period.
3. Methane is 23x more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2 over a 100
year period.
4. The East Siberian Arctic Shelf contains 500-5000 gigatons of methane.
5. A gigaton is a unit of explosive power equivalent to one (10^9)
billion tons of TNT.
6. The atmosphere currently contains 5 gigatons of methane.
7. The largest nuclear explosion ever detonated (Tsar Bomba) was only
0.051 gigatons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oMpbiDXhQ

[Documentary]

*Climate change and the melting glaciers in Switzerland - Docu - 2018*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHExFlEwhc>

vpro documentary [turn on English subtitles]
Premiered 8 hours ago
Climate change is causing glaciers to melt in Switzerland. In the summer
of 2018, a mudflow has hit the village of Bondo in Switzerland. Climate
change is in full swing. Can we still avert this or is climate change
already too advanced so that we simply have to live with it? Are the
melting glaciers in Switzerland one of the many consequences of climate
change?

Climate change creates melting glaciers in Switzerland. We must quickly
get a grip on global warming. According to the Indian writer Amitav
Ghosh this is because we cannot imagine that our children will live in
an unlivable world. Our endless desire for things like cars, meat and
luxury goods are the main causes of the climate crisis. 'Everyone wants
to be part of the good life', says Ghosh. "We are like a turkey for
Thanksgiving. We are getting nicely stuffed but one day the head goes off. '

A mudflow from a melting glacier was the summer of the Swiss village of
Bondo. Eight people died and the village was uninhabitable for months.
Yet many do not want to see the consequences of the climate crisis.
According to Ghosh, eating no meat or not driving is not enough to break
the vicious circle. He thinks it is of the utmost importance that we
oblige our authorities to take draconian measures and, if necessary,
enforce them. It is ill to place all responsibility with the individual.

An example of enforcing government responsibility is the famous 'Climate
case' that environmental organization Urgenda with lawyer Roger Cox
brought against the Dutch State. Many legal procedures are now taking
place worldwide. For example, a Peruvian mountain guide Saul Luciano
Lliuya, whose village is also threatened by a melting glacier, has filed
a lawsuit against the German RWE. The energy giant with its many
coal-fired plants is responsible for 0.5% of global CO2 emissions. The
Peruvian Lliuya states that RWE is also responsible for 0.5% of the
damage that his village experiences. A German judge agreed with him and
declared his request valid. A climate story about how we can turn the
tide just in time.

With: Roda Verheyen (lawyer), Bruno Renggli (mountain guide), Amitav
Ghosh (writer), Saul Luciano Lliuya (mountain guide from Peru).
Originally broadcasted by VPRO in 2018.
© VPRO Backlight March 2018

On VPRO broadcast you will find nonfiction videos with English
subtitles, French subtitles and Spanish subtitles, such as
documentaries, short interviews and documentary series.
VPRO Documentary publishes one new subtitled documentary about current
affairs, finance, sustainability, climate change or politics every week.
We research subjects like politics, world economy, society and science
with experts and try to grasp the essence of prominent trends and
developments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHExFlEwhc and
https://youtu.be/rOHExFlEwhc?t=480

[Moral condemnation by a radical activist] <https://youtu.be/WgFc4Zhvjtg>

https://youtu.be/WgFc4Zhvjtg?t=3809 Conclusion

*Climate Change - Why we are heading for extinction and what to do about
it <https://youtu.be/WgFc4Zhvjtg>*
Real Media
Published on May 26, 2018
Roger Hallam is co-founder of the Radical Think Tank. His PhD studies
looked at protest movements and revolutionary campaigns and what factors
make them successful.

After several practical campaigns, including wins for precarious
workers, a student rent strike, and a divestment campaign at Kings
College London, he is turning his hand to climate change.

In this lecture, delivered at KCL in April, he first outlines the bleak
current scientific thinking on man-made climate change, then presents
the results of his campaigning research, and finally invites people to
join a massive civil disobedience movement to force real change and
quite possibly save mankind.

https://youtu.be/WgFc4Zhvjtg?t=2421

*This Day in Climate History - November 12, 2012
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/11/13/1182511/grover-norquist-abruptly-reverses-position-on-carbon-tax-after-facing-criticism-from-koch-backed-group/>
- from D.R. Tucker
*November 12, 2012: Powerful conservative activist Grover Norquist is
quoted in the National Journal as saying that a federal
revenue-neutral carbon tax would not violate the Republican Party's
"no new taxes" position. After being viciously criticized by
representatives from Koch Industries, Norquist abruptly flip-flops.