[TheClimate.Vote] October 6, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Oct 6 10:32:08 EDT 2018

/October 6, 2018/

[Important future]
*Why the next three months are crucial for the future of the planet
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/05/why-the-next-four-months-are-crucial-for-future-of-planet-climate-change>*
Two forthcoming major climate talks offer governments an opportunity to
respond to this year's extreme weather with decisive action
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/05/why-the-next-four-months-are-crucial-for-future-of-planet-climate-change

[One important event]
*With the world on the line, scientists outline the paths to survival
<https://grist.org/article/with-the-world-on-the-line-scientists-outline-the-paths-to-survival/>*
By Eric Holthaus - Oct 4, 2018
This week, scientists and representatives from every country on Earth
are gathering in South Korea to put the finishing touches on a report
that, if followed, would change the course of history.
The report is a roadmap for possible ways to keep climate change to 1.5
degrees C above pre-industrial levels. Anything beyond that amount of
warming, and the planet starts to really go haywire. So the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- a U.N.-sponsored, Nobel
Peace Prize-winning
<https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2007/summary/>assemblage of
scientists -- wants to show how we can avoid that. To be clear, hitting
that goal would require a radical rethink in almost every aspect of
society. But the report finds that not meeting the goal would upend life
as we know it, too.
"This will be one of the most important meetings in the IPCC's history,"
said Hoesung Lee, the group's chair, inhis opening address
<http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/session48/180930_Chair_opening_P48.pdf>on Monday.
The report will be released on October 8. Fromleaked drafts
<http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/06/27/new-leaked-draft-of-un-1-5c-climate-report-in-full-and-annotated/>,
we knowthe basics of scientists' findings