[TheClimate.Vote] October 5, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Oct 5 10:03:18 EDT 2018

/October 5, 2018/

[see a list of climate aware candidates]
*2018 ENDORSED CANDIDATES <https://www.sunrisemovement.org/endorsements>*
Sunrise is a movement of young people uniting to stop the climate
crisis. We are building an army of young people to break the hold of oil
and gas CEOs on our politics and elect leaders who will protect the
health and wellbeing of all people, not just a wealthy few.

    TELL OUR LEADERS: TAKE THE NO FOSSIL FUEL MONEY PLEDGE
    <https://www.sunrisemovement.org/nofossilfuelmoney>
    Our politicians and candidates should reject contributions from
    fossil fuel executives, lobbyists and their front groups and protect
    our health, climate, and democracy instead.
    https://www.sunrisemovement.org/nofossilfuelmoney

https://www.sunrisemovement.org/endorsements

*This place on Russia's Arctic coast has most dramatic climate change
<https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic-ecology/2018/10/place-russias-arctic-coast-has-most-dramatic-climate-change>*
The town of Dikson and the surrounding Taymyr Peninsula has the most
rapid temperature increase in Russia, as well as an aggravating melting
of permafrost and nearby sea ice.
Atle Staalesen
October 02, 2018
The new climate report from Roshydromet, Russia's state agency on
meteorology and environmental monitoring, leaves no doubt about the
serious changes now unfolding in the Arctic parts of the country.

According to the document, the year 2017 was the third warmest ever on
record in the Arctic, and only 0.1 C degrees lower than the
record-beating 2011. And the further north, the bigger the temperature
increase. On altitudes of 70-85 degrees North, the air was 2.7 C degrees
warmer than the annual average since measurements started in 1936. That
includes the lion's share of the country's Arctic coast, as well as the
major archipelagos like Novaya Zemlya, Franz Josef Land and the New
Siberian Islands.

On altitudes between 60-70 degrees North, the deviation was 1.8 C
degrees, the reports reads.
*Warm Kara Sea*
According to Roshydromet, it is the Kara Sea that over the last 30 years
has experienced the most dramatic boost in air temperatures. Since 1998,
the average temperatures in the area have increased with as much as 4.95
C degrees.

That has a serious effect on nature, as well as social and economic
conditions, in nearby settlements like Dikson on the Taymyr Peninsula.
The temperature data are based on information collected from the
country's 250 meteorological stations, as well as from buoys in Arctic
waters.

The biggest temperature deviations in the whole country in 2017 were
found in the Kara Sea and the Chukchi Sea, and it was March month that
was the most staggering. The temperatures that month were as much as up
to 13 degrees higher than average, the data show...
- - - - -
*Melting permafrost*
The report from Roshydromet also includes alarming data about melting of
permafrost. According to the researchers, all measuring points in the
country's European parts of the Arctic in 2017 saw a shrinking of the
permafrost layer by about 10 cm. The biggest melting was observed at
measuring point in the Pechora River delta, where the decrease was as
much as 33 cm.

Also in the western parts of Siberia, there is a major reduction of the
permafrost. In the area of Nadym, a key oil-producing town, the
researchers found a shrinking of the permafrost layer by as much as 38
cm, and five measuring points in the Yamal Peninsula showed a decrease
of between 12-26 cm.

In Norilsk, the industrial city with a population of about 175,000, the
measurements showed that the local permafrost in the late summer of 2017
had decreased by 22 percent compared with the previous year...
- - -
Can lead to serious accidents
Consequences for the worst affected areas can be dramatic, the state
agency on meteorology and environmental monitoring warns. All kinds of
infrastructure, including roads, pipelines, buildings and industrial
plants can loose functionality as the ground's ability to carry the
weight dwindles and a string of destructive processes sets inn.

As a result, infrastructure objects can be partly or fully destroyed,
and social-economic and environmental consequences can be numerous and
unpleasant. That includes oil spills and pollution with dangerous
chemical, biological and radioactive materials, the researchers say.

Among the objects most in danger are buildings and coastal installations
along the shores of the Arctic ocean, they add.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic-ecology/2018/10/place-russias-arctic-coast-has-most-dramatic-climate-change

[Paul Beckwith video lecture #2]
*Part 2: Profound Climate Mayhem With NO Arctic Sea-Ice
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-Z08vuOw4>*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Oct 4, 2018
In a few years we face a world with NO Arctic sea-ice. Profound climate
and weather changes will profoundly disrupt human societies, eg. severe
global food shortages. In previous videos I discussed timeframes and
trajectories for a zero sea-ice state, and a shift of the center-of-cold
by 17 degrees latitude. Now, and last video I delve into heat capacity
changes with spiking Arctic warming, magnified ocean waves bringing heat
from depth, destabilizing Greenlands glaciers; also wind reversals,
monsoon effects, and bubbling methane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-Z08vuOw4

[Finance pressure change]
OCTOBER 4, 2018
*Stanford's new Sustainable Finance Initiative to help unleash capital
needed for decarbonization
<https://news.stanford.edu/2018/10/04/new-research-program-focuses-financing-sustainability/>*
A new Stanford program, supported by Bank of America,  will fund
research to develop the finance and policy tools needed for the
transition to a decarbonized and climate-resilient global economy.
BY MARK GOLDEN
The global transition to low-carbon economies is dramatically
transforming the investment landscape, especially in the enormous
sectors of energy, agriculture and transportation. To unlock the massive
amount of capital needed for that transition, Stanford University's
Precourt Institute for Energy is launching a research program to develop
new economic and financial models to more effectively manage risk and
drive successful investment.
The Sustainable Finance Initiative at Stanford will work with leading
public and private financial institutions, companies and governments to
engage Stanford researchers in economics, law, business and computer
science to accelerate the transition toward decarbonization and climate
resilience. Bank of America, a founding member of Stanford's Strategic
Energy Alliance, is supporting this initiative.

"A global expansion of capital deployment in low-carbon infrastructure
is one of the most important prerequisites to building economies that
will serve humanity for our children, grandchildren and beyond," said
Sally Benson, co-director of the Precourt Institute and Stanford
professor of energy resources engineering. "We value the support and the
knowledge of collaborators like Bank of America as we all try to figure
out the technologies, finance and economic structures needed for this
new era in sustainability."

For the energy sector alone, global investment needs to triple from its
current level to $2.3 trillion annually through 2040 to limit global
warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius, according to an International
Energy Agency study.

"Significant barriers block capital deployment at anywhere near the
level needed, especially investments from economically developed
countries in economically developing economies," said Thomas Heller,
faculty director of the Sustainable Finance Initiative and professor
emeritus at Stanford Law School.

"The fight for a sustainable Earth will be won largely in developing
economies, which are now massively investing in infrastructure designed
to operate profitably for decades," said Heller, an expert in climate
policies and laws as well as in economic development....
- -
The Sustainable Finance Initiative will work closely with Stanford's
Steyer-Taylor Center for Energy Policy & Finance, which is led by former
Law School Dean Paul Brest along with Heller and Seiger. Results of the
Sustainable Finance Initiative's work will be made public. For more
information visit
https://energy.stanford.edu/sustainable-finance-initiative.
https://news.stanford.edu/2018/10/04/new-research-program-focuses-financing-sustainability/

[Every word seems important in these 5 classic speeches from Morningstar
Investment Conference ]
*Watch Jeremy Grantham's 'Race of Our Lives' Speech
<https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870606/watch-jeremy-granthams-race-of-our-lives-speech.html>*
from June 2018 - video and transcript
This video is part one of five from GMO's Jeremy Grantham's address at
the 2018 Morningstar Investment Conference. You can also watch parts
two, three, four, and five:

    https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870607/grantham-part-2.html
    https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870608/part-3-effects-of-climate-change.html
    https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870609/part-4-sixth-great-extinction.html
    https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870600/part-5-gmos-portfolio-for-climate-change.html

*Jeremy Grantham: *In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that
I am all in on the topic of climate and toxic damage to the environment;
98% of my net worth is either in two foundations or is committed to it.
Fortunately, I come from a vastly overpaid industry, ours, and so that
still leaves me enough to have two houses and a Tesla Model 3, if they
would just deliver it to me. I'm going to give you first a broad
overview of this topic, which I'll read to save time, because if I ad
lib all this we'll be here all day. Then I'll give you lots of backup
data with slides.

You could call this presentation the story of carbon dioxide and Homo
sapiens. You may not know, but if we had no carbon dioxide at all, the
temperature of the Earth would be minus 25 degrees centigrade, and we
would be a frozen ball with no life except bacteria perhaps. 200 to 300
parts per million of carbon dioxide has taken us from that frozen state
to the pretty agreeable world we have today. CO2 is therefore, thank
heavens, a remarkably effective greenhouse gas. The burning of fossil
fuels has played a very central role in the development of civilization.
The Industrial Revolution was not really based on the steam engine, it
was based on the coal that ran steam engine. Without coal, we would have
very quickly run through all our timber supplies, and we would have
ended up with what I think of as the great timber wars of the late 19th
century. The demand for wood would have quickly denuded all of the great
forests of the world, and then we would have been back to where we were
at the time of Malthus, living at the edge of our capability with
recurrent waves of famine as every other creature on the planet does. A
few good years, the population expands and bad years, you die off.

A gallon of gasoline has at least 400 hours of labor equivalent. It
means that ordinary middle-class people have the power that only kings
used to have in the distant past. And what that has done, that
incredible gift of accumulated power over millions of years is to
catapult us forward in terms of civilization, in terms of culture and
science. It's created an enormous economic surplus with which we could
do these things for the first time in history. And above all agriculture
has benefited allowing our population to surge forward.

The sting in this tale however is that this has left us with 7.5 billion
people going on 11 or so billion by 2100. And that can only be sustained
by continued heavy, heavy use of energy. Fossil fuels will either run
out, destroy the planet, or both. The only possible way to avoid this
outcome is rapid and complete decarbonization of our economy. Needless
to say, this is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. It needs the
best of our talents and innovation, which almost miraculously, it may be
getting. It also needs much better than normal long-term planning and
leadership, which it most decidedly is not getting yet. Homo sapiens can
easily handle this problem, in practice; it will be a closely run race,
the race of our lives. I like to say never underestimate technology and
never underestimate the ability of Homo sapiens to screw it up.

If the outcome depended on our good sense, if we had, for example, to
decide in our long-term interest to take 5% or 10% of our GDP--the kind
of amount that you would need in a medium-sized war--we would of course
decide that the price was too high I think, until it would be too late.
It is hard for voters to give up rewards now to remove distant pain
particularly when the pain is deliberately confused by distorted data.
It's also hard for corporations to volunteer to reduce profits in order
to be greener. Given today's single-minded drive to maximize profits,
it's nearly impossible.

But technology, particularly, the technology of decarbonization has come
leaping to help us. This is the central race. Technology in my opinion
will in one sense win. When we come back in 40 years, I'm pretty
confident that there will be a decent sufficiency of cheap green energy
on the planet. And in 80 years perhaps it's likely we will have full
decarbonization. Lack of energy, green energy will not be the issue that
brings us down. If only that were the end of the story. The truth is
we've wasted 40 or 50 years. We're moving so slowly that by the time
we're decarbonized and have reached a new stability of plus two and a
half to three and a half degrees centigrade, a great deal of damage will
have been done. And a lot more will happen in the deeper future due to
the inertia in the environmental system, for even if we stop producing a
single carbon atom, ice caps, for example, will melt for centuries and
ocean levels will continue to rise by several perhaps many feet.

I don't worry too much about Miami or Boston, that's just the kind of
thing that capitalism tends to handle pretty well. The more serious
problem posed by ocean level rise will be the loss of the great rice
producing deltas around the world--the Nile, the Mekong, Bangladesh,
Thailand, and others, which produce about a fifth of all the rice grown
in the world. They're all heavily populated areas. The great Himalayan
rivers, which support one and a half billion people, depend on the
normal springtime runoff of the glaciers which are now diminishing in
size at an accelerating rate.

Agriculture is in fact the real underlying problem produced by climate
change. But even without climate change, it would be somewhere between
hard and impossible to feed 11.2 billion people, which is the median
U.N. forecast for 2100. It will be especially difficult for Africa. With
climate change, there are two separate effects on agriculture. One is
immediate, the droughts, the increased droughts, the increased floods,
the increased temperature reduce quite measurably the productivity of a
year's harvest. Then there's the long-term, permanent effect, the most
dependable outcome of increased temperature is increased water vapor in
the atmosphere, currently up over 4% from the old normal. And this has
led to an increase, a substantial increase in heavy downpours. It is
precisely the heavy downpours that cause erosion.

In a rain, even a heavy rain, the farmers are not stupid, they lose very
little. It's the one or two great downpours every year or two that cause
the trouble. We're losing perhaps 1% of our collective global soil a
year. We are losing about a half a percent of our arable land a year.
Fortunately, the least productive half a percent. It's calculated that
there are only 30 to 70 good harvest years left depending on your
location. In 80 years, current agriculture would be simply infeasible
for lack of good soil. We have to change our system completely to make
it sustainable. With conservative farmers to deal with, it will take
decades and we haven't even started.

One of the impressive parts of new technology though is in fact in
agriculture from intense data management where you know square meter by
square meter exactly what is going on to the isolation of every single
micro-organism that relates to the plant.

This race too is finely balanced. A separate thread also closely related
to fossil fuels is that we've created a toxic environment apparently,
not conducive to life from insects to humans as we will see. We must
respond rapidly by a massive and urgent move away from the use of
complicated chemicals that saturate our daily life. Finally, in terms of
this introduction, a subtext to all of what I have to say is that
capitalism and mainstream economics simply cannot deal with these
problems. Mainstream economics largely ignores natural capital. A true
Hicksian profit requires that the capital base be left completely intact
and only the excess is a true profit. And, of course, we have not left
our natural capital based intact or anything like it. The replacement
cost of copper, phosphate, oil, and soil and so on is not even
considered. If it were, it's likely that the last 10 or 20 years for the
developed world anyway has had no true profit at all, no increase in
income, but the reverse.

Capitalism also has a severe problem with the very long term because of
the tyranny of the discount rate, anything that happens to a corporation
over 25 years out doesn't exist for them. Therefore, grandchildren, I
like to say, have no value. They the corporations also handle
externalities very badly. Even the expression "handle badly" is
flattering for often they don't handle them at all, they're just
completely ignored as are the tragedies of the commons. We deforest the
land, we degrade our soils, we pollute and overuse our water, and treat
air like an open sewer. We do it all off the balance sheet and off the
income statement. Indeed, sensible capitalist response is deliberately
slowed down by well-funded and talented programs of obfuscation by what
is called the merchants of doubt, familiar in the past with tobacco
particularly in the U.S., but here also the U.K.

One of these merchants, Richard Lindzen, a professor at MIT actually
went seamlessly from defending tobacco--where he famously puffed
cigarettes through his TV interviews--to denying most of the problems of
climate change. Let me just add this doesn't happen in China or India,
Germany, Argentina. This is unique to the three English-speaking, oily
countries--the US, the UK, and Australia.
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870606/watch-jeremy-granthams-race-of-our-lives-speech.html
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870607/grantham-part-2.html
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870608/part-3-effects-of-climate-change.html
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870609/part-4-sixth-great-extinction.html
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/870600/part-5-gmos-portfolio-for-climate-change.html
- - - -
[textbook for public policy]
*Beyond Politics: The Private Governance Response to Climate Change
(Business and Public Polic
<https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Politics-Governance-Response-Business/dp/1316632482/ref=sr_1_1>*y)

Paperback – December 28, 2017
by Michael P. Vandenbergh  (Author), Jonathan M. Gilligan  (Author)
Private sector action provides one of the most promising opportunities
to reduce the risks of climate change, buying time while governments
move slowly or even oppose climate mitigation. Starting with the insight
that much of the resistance to climate mitigation is grounded in concern
about the role of government, this books draws on law, policy, social
science, and climate science to demonstrate how private initiatives are
already bypassing government inaction in the US and around the globe. It
makes a persuasive case that private governance can reduce global carbon
emissions by a billion tons per year over the next decade. Combining an
examination of the growth of private climate initiatives over the last
decade, a theory of why private actors are motivated to reduce
emissions, and a review of viable next steps, this book speaks to
scholars, business and advocacy group managers, philanthropists,
policymakers, and anyone interested in climate change.
https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Politics-Governance-Response-Business/dp/1316632482/ref=sr_1_1

[Book review of Beyond Politics]
*Faced with government inaction, private firms emerge as major players
in climate change mitigation
<http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2017/12/18/beyond-politics/>*
By David G. Victor 18 December, 2017
- - - -
With a large number of diverse vignettes and case studies, the authors
show that the success of private governance hinges, in particular, on
what the behavioral sciences have learned about how firms and households
internalize change. The authors point to factors such as labeling,
flexible organizational structures, and new types of markets as
contributors to this new interdisciplinary science of private governance.
Particularly important is the book's attention to firms that have become
adept at realigning incentives across the whole supply chain. Walmart is
a standout, having achieved 28 million tons of emissions reductions from
2010 to 2015, mainly through making their supply chains and operations
smarter and getting their suppliers to line up.
One of the strengths of this book is that the authors don't just make
the case for their view of a privately governed world. They also grapple
with the weaknesses of that approach. A chief concern is whether private
governance, for all its potential, might actually make a difference to
the climate problem.
The authors seek to quantify the level of emissions reductions that
private governance could achieve in the real world—that is, not just the
technical potential of such an approach but what actual implementation
might look like in real organizations. They estimate, for example, that
almost 500 million metric tons per year of CO2-equivalent emissions
might be cut by households—a big number in absolute terms, although
small when one considers that total global emissions are 100 times that
level.
One area for future work is to quantify these impacts dynamically. Where
successful private solutions emerge, it is reasonable to presume that
others will follow; good deeds will beget more success, and a virtuous
(and profitable) cycle of emissions cuts might follow.
Private governance could change the nature of government itself, suggest
Vandenbergh and Gilligan. It could also change how society achieves
justice and its lines of accountability. Work like this helps reveal
what is possible, even without formal governments doing much or all the
work.
My guess is that the pendulum will need to swing back a bit toward a
view of governance that brings the state back in. But Vandenbergh and
Gilligan offer a sober and well-grounded reminder that real change
depends on much more than formal government.
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2017/12/18/beyond-politics/

[Opinion: wake up Michael Moore]
*Climate Denial on the Left
<https://tedglick.com/future-hope-columns/climate-denial-on-the-left/>*
Michael Moore's "molotov cocktail to the system" movie, Fahrenheit 11/9,
has a number of good things to say and good sections. I was particularly
appreciative of the sections on lead poisoning criminality in Flint,
Michigan, recent progressive electoral victories and campaigns within
the Democratic Party, and the West Virginia teachers strike. His
critique of the Clinton/corporate/dominant wing of the Democratic Party
was also on target.

However, I was appalled that there was virtually nothing about the
climate crisis. Out of the two hours, there might have been a literal
total of 10 seconds of footage about something related to that huge,
world-overarching issue.
For example, the struggle at Standing Rock was nowhere to be found in
this progressive movie about US politics and progressive activism since
2016.
15 years ago I began my transformation from a progressive activist and
organizer primarily working in the arena of independent politics into
someone primarily working on the climate crisis. The impetus for that
life-change was a disastrous heat wave in western Europe in August of
2003. 35,000 or more people died as a result of it. This unprecedented,
massive human tragedy caused me to spend the next several months
studying the reality of global heating, how bad it is, how relatively
close we are to climate tipping points, and who was working against this
looming world catastrophe.

I was disturbed to learn that almost no one on the left and not that
many within the environmental community were doing so, at least on a
consistent basis. And so, in January of 2004, I started doing work in
this area, co-founding with Fr. Paul Mayer the Climate Crisis Coalition
and staying active ever since.

It has been encouraging to see the growth of an activist climate
movement, an anti-racist climate justice movement and an inclusion of
the climate issue as a major one on the part of many groups within the
progressive movement. It was very significant that in his history-making
Presidential campaign in 2016 Bernie Sanders spoke about this issue
consistently and strongly. And there could be other positive examples.
So is Michael Moore's climate blindspot in this movie an exception to
the prevailing reality on the left?
I think it's more complicated. Moore does get it on the climate crisis
on some level. In a tweet from him on March 28 last year he wrote,
"Historians in the near future will mark today, March 28, 2017, as the
day the extinction of human life on earth began, thanks 2 Donald Trump.
Trump has signed orders killing all of Obama's climate change
regulations. The EPA is prohibited henceforth from focusing on climate
change."

Actually, the threat of "the extinction of human life on earth" began
gathering steam (via coal burning on a mass scale) long before Donald
Trump. And though Obama did things to move us in the right direction,
they were in no way commensurate with the seriousness of our situation.
On a human level, I don't understand how someone who appreciates this
extinction threat, who understands how dire our situation is, how
profoundly this is a societal and ecological crisis of the highest and
most immediate magnitude, could "forget" to  incorporate this issue into
a movie like Fahrenheit 11/9.

But in addition, the fact is that a huge majority of the U.S. American
people, 80-85% consistently for many years, Democrats, Independents and
Republicans, support wind and solar. Conservative landowners have joined
forces with enviros, progressives and Indigenous people to oppose the
taking of their and others' land for oil and gas pipelines and
infrastructure. And with all of the fires and storms and floods, extreme
weather events, that just keep coming and will be doing so for a long,
long time, there is a realistic basis for making political inroads among
even conservatives if we are there with them to help them deal with
these fossil fuel industry-fueled, destructive disasters.
There really is no excuse, and many good reasons, for this issue always
being part of our work and our strategic and political thinking and action.
Maybe Michael Moore's next movie could be on the climate crisis? Michael?
Ted Glick has been a progressive activist, organizer and writer since
1968. Past writings and other information can be found at
https://tedglick.com, and he can be followed on twitter at
https://twitter.com/jtglick.
https://tedglick.com/future-hope-columns/climate-denial-on-the-left/

*This Day in Climate History - October 5, 1988
<http://youtu.be/99-v2Farbjs> - from D.R. Tucker*
October 5, 1988: Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D) and Indiana Senator Dan
Quayle (R) discuss global warming in the Vice Presidential debate, with
both men agreeing that the problem must be addressed during the next
four years; Bentsen suggests that natural gas and ethanol might be
alternatives to oil dependence. (49:33-52:45)
http://youtu.be/99-v2Farbjs

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that