[TheClimate.Vote] October 17, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Oct 17 10:06:05 EDT 2018

/October 17, 2018/

[because who would pay for all day, everyday?]*
Why isn't the media covering climate change all day, every day?
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-isnt-the-media-covering-climate-change-all-day-every-day/2018/10/16/91fef576-d09d-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ed7f40e8b909>*
By Katrina vanden Heuvel
Columnist - October 16 at 8:29 AM
At a time when the president shouting "fake news" is old news and daily
scandals are the new normal, it is both difficult and important for the
media to strike a balance between the serious and the sensational. I
understand how tough that tension is. Every day at the Nation, we try to
cover what is important, but that's not always easy -- especially when
much of the media privileges stories with the biggest shock factor.

Over one seven-day period this summer, when children were being
separated from their families at the border, MSNBC, CNN and Fox News
dedicated only 1 hour and 8 minutes to the crisis -- combined. During
that same span, the three networks spent 34 hours and 28 minutes
covering Omarosa Manigault Newman and her tell-all book
The same thing is happening right now. Last week, the U.N.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published a watershed report
on climate change, warning that a bigger crisis could come sooner than
we thought.

Last week, The Post and the New York Times ran front-page articles with
the news as well as analyses and reactions about the report over the
days that followed. But if you flipped on your television, you likely
didn't hear much, if anything, about it. You might have heard about
President Trump's latest rally or Kanye West's visit to the White House,
but this earth-shattering story was buried. As Politico's Dan Diamond
tweeted Sunday, "The landmark report has essentially disappeared from
the news."...
- - - -
In a recent column for The Post, Margaret Sullivan said the media must
cover climate change as if it's "the only story that matters." The
Pentagon has stated that climate change is a threat to national
security. The World Bank has warned about the devastating impact of
rising temperatures on economies. Bill McKibben, co-founder of 350.org,
has said that "climate change is actually the biggest thing that's going
on every single day."

So why isn't the media covering this story all day, every day? There are
several reasons, including the collapse of local daily newspapers and
excessive conglomeratization. But the biggest reason right now is
distraction. As Sullivan put it, "There is just so much happening at
every moment, so many trees to distract from the burning forest behind
them."...
- - - - -
In corporate media, ratings are prized above all else. So, the president
gets his reality show because scandal plays better -- and pays better --
than substance. Then-CBS chief executive Les Moonves admitted as much in
2016 when he said that Trump's political ascent was "damn good for CBS"
and bragged that "the money's rolling in."
- - - - -
The media has a responsibility to inform, and it has the power to decide
what is and is not in the national conversation. Climate change demands
to be a constant and significant part of that conversation, and the
media has a vital role in making that happen. Anything less would be
media malpractice.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-isnt-the-media-covering-climate-change-all-day-every-day/2018/10/16/91fef576-d09d-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ed7f40e8b909

[40 seconds of audio]
*This is what an Antarctic Ice Shelf sounds like
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56RxaX9THY>*
American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Published on Oct 16, 2018
Winds blowing across snow dunes on Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf cause the
massive ice slab's surface to vibrate, producing a near-constant
drumroll of seismic "tones" scientists could potentially use to monitor
changes in the ice shelf from afar, according to new research.
The ice shelf's "song" is too low in frequency to be heard by human
ears, but it has been made audible here by geophysicist and
mathematician Julien Chaput, who sped up a 2015 recording of the ice
shelf's vibrations about 1,200 times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56RxaX9THY
- - - -
Read more about the Ross Ice Shelf's song
*ANTARCTIC ICE SHELF 'SINGS' AS WINDS WHIP ACROSS ITS SURFACE
<https://news.agu.org/press-release/antarctic-ice-shelf-sings-as-winds-whip-across-its-surface/>*
They also noticed the pitch of this seismic hum changed when weather
conditions altered the snow layer's surface. They found the ice vibrated
at different frequencies when strong storms rearranged the snow dunes or
when the air temperatures at the surface went up or down, which changed
how fast seismic waves traveled through the snow.

"It's kind of like you're blowing a flute, constantly, on the ice
shelf," said Julien Chaput, a geophysicist and mathematician at Colorado
State University in Fort Collins and lead author of the new study
published today in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the
American Geophysical Union.

Just like musicians can change the pitch of a note on a flute by
altering which holes air flows through or how fast it flows, weather
conditions on the ice shelf can change the frequency of its vibration by
altering its dune-like topography, according to Chaput.
"Either you change the velocity of the snow by heating or cooling it, or
you change where you blow on the flute, by adding or destroying dunes,"
he said. "And that's essentially the two forcing effects we can observe."

The hum is too low in frequency to be audible to human ears, but the new
findings suggest scientists could use seismic stations to continuously
monitor the conditions on ice shelves in near real-time. Studying the
vibrations of an ice shelf's insulating snow jacket could give
scientists a sense of how it is responding to changing climate
conditions, according to Douglas MacAyeal, a glaciologist at the
University of Chicago who was not connected to the new study but wrote a
commentary about the findings also published today in Geophysical
Research Letters.

Changes to the ice shelf's seismic hum could indicate whether melt ponds
or cracks in the ice are forming that might indicate whether the ice
shelf is susceptible to breaking up.

"The response of the ice shelf tells us that we can track extremely
sensitive details about it," Chaput said. "Basically, what we have on
our hands is a tool to monitor the environment, really. And its impact
on the ice shelf."
https://news.agu.org/press-release/antarctic-ice-shelf-sings-as-winds-whip-across-its-surface/
- - - -
[a new research paper about it]
*Near‐Surface Environmentally Forced Changes in the Ross Ice Shelf
Observed With Ambient Seismic Noise
<https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2018GL079665>*
Plain Language Summary

    Ice shelves are the floating buttresses of large glaciers that
    extend over the oceans and play a key role in restraining inland
    glaciers as they flow to the sea. Deploying sensitive seismographs
    across Earth's largest ice shelf (the Ross Ice Shelf) for 2 years,
    we discovered that the shelf nearly continuously sings at
    frequencies of five or more cycles per second, excited by local and
    regional winds blowing across its snow dune‐like topography. We find
    that the frequencies and other features of this singing change, both
    as storms alter the snow dunes and during a (January 2016) warming
    event that resulted in melting in the ice shelf's near surface.
    These observations demonstrate that seismological monitoring can be
    used to continually monitor the near‐surface conditions of an ice
    shelf and other icy bodies to depths of several meters.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2018GL079665

[vote to price carbon - then do everything more]
*We support I-1631 <https://www.scientistsfor1631.com/>*
Open Letter Supporting Initiative 1631 by Leading Climate Experts
As science, health and policy experts, we are deeply concerned about the
impacts of a changing climate.

Global temperatures are higher than ever in human history, the
consequences of which we already see in increased flooding, more
frequent heat waves, and melting glaciers. If we continue emitting
heat-trapping pollution, our climate will soon be far outside the range
of human experience. Today's actions can protect our children for
generations to come.

Limiting global temperature rise and its associated impacts on society
and the environment will require international efforts to reduce
emissions. United States leadership is indispensable, and we've seen
successful state efforts inspire national action.
I-1631 - which puts a price on carbon, reduces pollution, and invests in
clean energy solutions - puts Washington state at the head of these
efforts...
https://www.scientistsfor1631.com/

[doomer indulgence - video]
*They Ignore the End of the World Warnings
<http://climatestate.com/2018/10/16/they-ignore-the-end-of-the-world-warnings/>*
Secular Talk / The Kyle Kulinski Show: Trump Admin ADMITS Global Temp
Will Rise Up To 7 Degrees By
2100https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNkThWIyfwandhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZKe6Kv28lc
CNN Trump on climate change: 'Man-made or not, I mean, there's something
there'https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/15/politics/trump-climate-change/index.html
Trailer 2012https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXGrTng0gQ
Donald Trump on climate change policy
(2015)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEzFbRl-g8
Sound Effects Epic Stock Mediahttp://epicstockmedia.com
<http://epicstockmedia.com/>
http://climatestate.com/2018/10/16/they-ignore-the-end-of-the-world-warnings/

[classic from 2016]
*How climate change triggers earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/16/climate-change-triggers-earthquakes-tsunamis-volcanoes>*
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/16/climate-change-triggers-earthquakes-tsunamis-volcanoes

[One-man rant newscast - fairly balances FOX - ]
*Why Republicans and Corporations and the Media Are Failing Us On
Climate Change - SOME MORE NEWS
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2DqCxzszK4>*
Some More News
Published on Oct 15, 2018
News-wise, here is some about climate change, and the people who sure
could do something about it. Hopefully, the Republicans, corporations,
and media get off their ass and do something about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2DqCxzszK4

[serious engineering ]
UPCOMING REPORT RELEASE
*Negative Emissions Technologies and Reliable Sequestration: A Research
Agenda <http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/>*
October 24, 2018, 11:00am EST
Negative emissions technologies (NETs) that aim to remove and sequester
excess carbon from the atmosphere have been identified as an important
part of the portfolio of responses to climate change. These approaches
have been garnering new attention as the international community has
identified lower thresholds for global temperature increases, which can
only be accomplished with net negative carbon emissions to the
atmosphere. This new report aims to develop a detailed research and
development agenda needed to assess the benefits, risks, and sustainable
scale potential for carbon dioxide removal and sequestration approaches;
and increase their commercial viability.
*A public briefing of the report will be held on Wednesday, October 24,
2018 at 11 am EST.
*Please register to attend in person at the National Academy of Sciences
Building in Washington, DC, or to join the webcast.
Please visit the study website - http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/
-  for more information on this report.
http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/

[my pithy rant for the day]

    /A carbon tax is like nicotine gum for lung cancer. /
    /It's a good step, should have been started decades ago,
    but it's mostly symbolic and nowhere near powerful enough for
    treating a late-stage condition like we have today.
         - Richard Pauli/

*This Day in Climate History - October 17, 2000 - from D.R. Tucker*
October 17, 2000: In the third presidential debate, Vice President Al
Gore declares:

    "I spend a good deal of time talking to young people, and in my
    standard speech out there on the stump, I usually end my speech by
    saying, 'I want to ask you for something, and I want to direct it
    especially to the young people in the audience,' and I want to tell
    you what I tell them. Sometimes people who are very idealistic and
    have great dreams, as young people do, are apt to stay at arm's
    length from the political process, because they think their good
    hearts might be brittle, and if they invest their hopes and allow
    themselves to believe, then they're going to be let down and
    disappointed. But thank goodness, we've always had enough people who
    have been willing in every generation to push past the fear of a
    broken heart and become deeply involved in forming a more perfect
    union. We're America, and -- and we believe in our future, and we
    know we have the ability to shape our future.

    "Now, we've got to address one of the biggest threats to our
    democracy, and that is the current campaign financing system. And I
    know they say it doesn't rank anywhere on the polls. I don't believe
    -- I don't believe that's a fair measure. I'm telling you, I will
    make it -- I will make the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform
    bill the very first measure that I send to the Congress as
    president. Governor Bush opposes it. I wish that he would consider
    changing his mind on that, because I think that the special
    interests have too much power and we need to give our democracy back
    to the American people.

    "Let me tell you why. Those issues you mentioned, Social Security,
    prescription drugs--the big drug companies are against the
    prescription drug proposal that I've made. The HMOs are against the
    patients' rights bill, the Dingell-Norwood bill, that I support and
    that Governor Bush does not support. The big oil companies are
    against the measures to get more energy independence and renewable
    fuels. They ought to have their voices heard, but they shouldn't
    have a big megaphone that drowns out the American people. We need
    campaign finance reform, and we need to shoot straight with young
    and old alike and tell them what the real choices are. And we can
    renew and rekindle the American spirit and make our future what our
    founders dreamed it could be. We can."

(64:40--67:22)
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/PresidentialCandidatesDebate

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that