[TheClimate.Vote] October 18, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Oct 18 11:18:07 EDT 2018

/October 18, 2018/

[Associated Press]
Click to copy https://apnews.com/9ddb3deeec9a49d6a1349b78f1ca0f03
*Tornadoes are spinning up farther east in US, study finds
<https://apnews.com/9ddb3deeec9a49d6a1349b78f1ca0f03>*
By SETH BORENSTEIN -- October 17, 2018
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Over the past few decades tornadoes have been
shifting -- decreasing in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas but spinning up
more in states along the Mississippi River and farther east, a new study
shows. Scientists aren't quite certain why.

Tornado activity is increasing most in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee,
Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin,
Iowa and parts of Ohio and Michigan, according to a study in Wednesday's
journal Climate and Atmospheric Science. There has been a slight
decrease in the Great Plains, with the biggest drop in central and
eastern Texas. Even with the decline, Texas still gets the most
tornadoes of any state.
The shift could be deadly because the area with increasing tornado
activity is bigger and home to more people, said study lead author
Victor Gensini, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Northern Illinois
University. Also more people live in vulnerable mobile homes and
tornadoes are more likely to happen at night in those places, he said...
- - - -
The study looked at changes since 1979. Everywhere east of the
Mississippi, except the west coast of Florida, is seeing some increase
in tornado activity. The biggest increase occurred in states bordering
the Mississippi River...
https://apnews.com/9ddb3deeec9a49d6a1349b78f1ca0f03

[unstable ice]
The Unexpected Threat To Greenland's Melting Glaciers (HBO)
<https://youtu.be/QubYjSTMGs0>
VICE News
Published on Oct 15, 2018
GREENLAND — This summer, a chunk of ice the size of lower Manhattan
broke off of a glacier in Eastern Greenland. It contained 10 billion
tons of ice, making the video of the event an insanely shareable capsule
of climate change dread. But for NASA scientists, the spectacle created
by these massive calving events is really just the final step in a far
more worrisome -- and less visible -- process.

That's because glacial melt isn't just the result of our planet's
warming air. The biggest threat to these glaciers' continued existence
resides deep below the water's surface.

Unlike most other bodies of water, the ocean surrounding Greenland gets
warmer with increasing depth. That's because warm, salty currents from
the Atlantic are heavier than fresh glacial water, so those currents end
up on the bottom. And that's what's got scientists' attention: our
oceans absorb the heat trapped by greenhouse gases, so they're getting
warmer, and as they do, Greenland's biggest, deepest glaciers are
interacting with them -- and melting at increasing speeds.

To understand this better, NASA has been sending planes and boats to
Greenland in an effort to map the ocean floor. What they're seeing isn't
good.

"We'll have to revise our sea level projections upward, and that's
scary," said NASA climate scientist Josh Willis, who cautioned that
they're still in the early days of the ocean mapping mission, dubbed
"Oceans Melting Greenland" -- or "OMG". "If we're reshaping the
coastline in a radical way, you know do you want to take out a 30-year
mortgage on a house that might be flooded in 30 years? And so it's real
and it's time to start dealing with it."

VICE News Tonight traveled to Greenland to visit Eric Rignot, a NASA
researcher who sails the iceberg-infested waters in the hopes of
figuring out how fast Greenland's glaciers are melting -- and how much
trouble we're really in.
https://youtu.be/QubYjSTMGs0

[travel greeting from a cryologist in Denmark]
*Jason Box on Climate and Jet Stream - October 2018
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxdko5JN7w>*
greenmanbucket
Published on Oct 17, 2018
Unseasonable warmth in Northern Europe is a continuation of a persistent
jet stream pattern that was responsible for Europe's very warm summer,
and Greenland's coldest summer in decades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxdko5JN7w

[overlooked in the news]
*Bill Gates launches effort to help the world adapt to climate change
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/bill-gates-world-bank-launch-climate-change-adaptation-fund/>*
Many people are already facing the impacts of a changing climate and
need help adjusting now, world leaders assert.
BY LAURA PARKER - OCTOBER 16, 2018
"We are at a moment of high risk and great promise," Gates said in a
statement. "We need policies to help vulnerable populations adapt and we
need to ensure that governments...are… supporting innovation and helping
deliver those breakthroughs to…places that need them the most."
*The commission will spend a year sorting out the best adaptation
approaches and present a plan to the 2019 United Nations climate summit.*

    video: Bill and Melinda talk about it
    http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/culture-exploration/180718-gates-foundation-goalkeepers-report-culture-vin

But World Bank CEO Kristalina Georgieva
<http://www.worldbank.org/en/about/people/k/kristalina-georgieva>...
said that's not the case. "For quite a while there has been that sense
that if we adapt, that means we are accepting defeat against climate
change," she said at the briefing. "It is not defeat, it is reality."
Even if efforts to reduce carbon emissions succeed and the goal of
keeping global temperature rise below two degrees Celsius is achieved,
changes already locked into planetary systems carry significant
consequences that argue for the need for adaptation, Georgieva said. She
added the world is capable of doing both tasks at the same time, like
"walking and breathing."

"We are the last generation that can change the course of climate
change, that can mitigate climate change effectively and the first
generation that has to live with the consequences," she said. "It has to
be mitigate and adapt at the same time."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/bill-gates-world-bank-launch-climate-change-adaptation-fund/

[Musical parody video, with a message: vote!]
*HEY DUDE – Parody of Hey Jude <https://youtu.be/g7wLw3iYQl4>*
https://parodyproject.com/hey-dude-parody-of-hey-jude/?mc_cid=e6f7decac6&mc_eid=b76a4f4ca4

https://youtu.be/g7wLw3iYQl4

[Year Zero]
*Year Zero: The Year When Wild Animals Are Gone
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OYE8_TsteA>*
Sustainable Human
Published on Oct 3, 2018
Learn more about you can do to prevent Year Zero:
https://www.preventyearzero.org/
This video was created by Chris Agnos of Sustainable Human.

My name is Sailesh Rao and I am one of the original engineers of the
Internet.

In 2014, researchers at the World Wildlife Fund released a report saying
that between 1970 and 2010, in just 40 years, the population of wild
vertebrates decreased by 52%. Then two years later, they released a
second report saying that between 1970 and 2012, the population of wild
vertebrates decreased by 58%. From these two data points, you can
perform a simple math calculation to tell you that at the current rate
of decline, 100% of wild vertebrates will be gone by 2026.

This is year zero. The year when all wild animals are gone.

It turns out that animal agriculture is not only the number one source
of carbon emissions, it is also the number one source of land use on the
planet. All over the world, humans are destroying original forests to
make room for grazing animals or to grow crops for feeding animals.

And then humans are using sophisticated geo-locating technology to
locate the last remaining schools of fish

And finally we are pouring all these toxins into the environment which
kills the insects which kills the birds who eat those insects. So we are
attacking wild animals in the ocean, on land, and in the air. And this
leaves wild animals no room to survive.

We did some calculations. We took all the land that is currently being
used for animal agriculture and restored the native forests that were
there on that land in 1800, and in turns out not only that you could
sequester more carbon than we have added to the atmosphere since 1750
but you also restore the natural habitat for wild animals to live. It's
their world, too.

So this is entirely possible. We can bring back the forests and we can
heal the climate, and in the process ensure that Year Zero never becomes
a reality.
Help us caption & translate this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OYE8_TsteA

[NPR 1A audio segment 37:17]
*Why It's Hard To Change Minds About Climate Change
<https://www.npr.org/2018/10/16/657907123/why-its-hard-to-change-minds-about-climate-change>*
October 16, 2018
But despite overwhelming scientific evidence that climate change exists,
the subject can be tough to discuss. Or even because of that evidence.
How do we navigate conversations about climate change with those who
don't believe in it?...
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/16/657907123/why-its-hard-to-change-minds-about-climate-change

[serious engineering  ]
UPCOMING REPORT RELEASE
*Negative Emissions Technologies and Reliable Sequestration: A Research
Agenda <http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/>*
October 24, 2018, 11:00am EST
Negative emissions technologies (NETs) that aim to remove and sequester
excess carbon from the atmosphere have been identified as an important
part of the portfolio of responses to climate change. These approaches
have been garnering new attention as the international community has
identified lower thresholds for global temperature increases, which can
only be accomplished with net negative carbon emissions to the
atmosphere. This new report aims to develop a detailed research and
development agenda needed to assess the benefits, risks, and sustainable
scale potential for carbon dioxide removal and sequestration approaches;
and increase their commercial viability.

Statement of Task
An ad hoc committee will conduct a study to:

    1. Identify the most urgent unanswered scientific and technical
    questions needed to:
    assess the benefits, risks, and sustainable scale potential for
    carbon dioxide removal and sequestration approaches in terrestrial
    and coastal environments; and
    increase the commercial viability of carbon dioxide removal and
    sequestration;
    2. Define the essential components of a research and development
    program and specific tasks required to answer these questions;
    3. Estimate the costs and potential impacts of such a research and
    development program to the extent possible in the timeframe of the
    study.
    4. Recommend ways to implement such a research and development program.
    The list of CDR approaches to be examined would include land and
    coastal (i.e., tidal wetlands, seagrass meadows, and mangroves)
    ecosystems management, accelerated weathering, bioenergy with
    capture, direct air capture, geologic sequestration, and other
    approaches deemed by the study committee to be of similar viability
    in terrestrial and coastal environments.

NOTE: The statement of task was slightly edited in September 2017 to
clarify that the scope of this study is limited to the assessment of any
viable approach in the terrestrial and coastal environments.

*A public briefing of the report will be held on Wednesday, October 24,
2018 at 11 am EST.
*Please register to attend in person at the National Academy of Sciences
Building in Washington, DC, or to join the webcast.
Please visit the study website - http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/
-  for more information on this report.
http://nas-sites.org/dels/studies/cdr/
https://vimeo.com/222359789

[Deep dive documents]
*The Covert Attack on Sen. McCain's Climate Leadership by ExxonMobil and
the Koch brothers
<https://climateinvestigations.org/covert-attack-john-mccain-climate-change-exxonmobil-koch-brothers/>*
https://climateinvestigations.org/covert-attack-john-mccain-climate-change-exxonmobil-koch-brothers/

[Sarah Silverman video rant]
*Why Aren't Billionaires Afraid of Climate Change? | I Love You, America
on Hulu <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzW9Ls3E9Q>*
I Love You, America
Published on Oct 12, 2018
Follow the money on these environmental deregulations. Sarah calls out
the 100 companies who are profiting from them on this week's I Love You,
America.
- - - -
"I Love You, America," a Hulu Original Series.
 From inciting treason to telling poop jokes, Sarah Silverman has
created her fair share of online chatter. With "I Love You, America,"
she's looking to connect with people who may not agree with her personal
opinions through honesty, humor, genuine interest in others, and not
taking herself too seriously. While it's great to connect with
like-minded people, Silverman feels it's crucial, now more than ever, to
connect with un-like-minded people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzW9Ls3E9Q

*This Day in Climate History - October 18, 2004
<http://www.c-span.org/video/?183978-1/bush-administration-policies&start=$%28start%29>
- from D.R. Tucker*
October 18, 2004: In a speech at Georgetown University, former Vice
President Al Gore discusses the failures of the Bush administration.
Noting Bush's deception on energy and dereliction of duty on climate
change, Gore states:

    "[Bush] claimed that gaining dominance of Iraqi oil fields for
    American producers was never part of his calculation. But we now
    know, from a document uncovered by the New Yorker and dated just two
    weeks to the day after Bush's inauguration, that his National
    Security Counsel was ordered to 'meld' its review of 'operational
    policies toward rogue states' with the secretive Cheney Energy Task
    Force's 'actions regarding the capture of new and existing oil and
    gas fields.'

    "We also know from documents obtained in discovery proceedings
    against that Cheney Task Force by the odd combination of Judicial
    Watch and the Sierra Club that one of the documents receiving
    scrutiny by the task force during the same time period was a
    detailed map of Iraq showing none of the cities or places where
    people live but showing in great detail the location of every single
    oil deposit known to exist in the country, with dotted lines
    demarking blocks for promising exploration - a map which, in the
    words of a Canadian newspaper, resembled a butcher's drawing of a
    steer, with the prime cuts delineated. We know that Cheney himself,
    while heading Halliburton, did more business with Iraq than any
    other nation, even though it was under U.N. sanctions, and that
    Cheney stated in a public speech to the London Petroleum Institute
    in 1999 that, over the coming decade, the world will need 50 million
    extra barrels of oil per day. 'Where is it going to come from?'
    Answering his own question, he said, "The Middle East, with two
    thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost is still where the
    prize ultimately lies.'

    "In the spring of 2001, when Cheney issued the administration's
    national energy plan - the one devised in secret by corporations and
    lobbyist that he still refuses to name - it included a declaration
    that 'the [Persian] Gulf will be a primary focus of U.S.
    international energy policy.'

    Less than two months later, in one of the more bizarre parts of
    Bush's policy process, Richard Perle, before he was forced to resign
    on conflict of interest charges as chairman of the Defense Policy
    Board, invited a presentation to the Board by a RAND corporation
    analyst who recommended that the United States consider militarily
    seizing Saudi Arabia's oil fields.

    "The cynical belief by some that oil played an outsized role in
    Bush's policy toward Iraq was enhanced when it became clear that the
    Iraqi oil ministry was the only facility in the country that was
    secured by American troops following the invasion. The Iraqi
    national museum, with its priceless archeological treasures
    depicting the origins of civilization, the electric, water and
    sewage facilities so crucial to maintaining an acceptable standard
    of living for Iraqi citizens during the American occupation,
    schools, hospitals, and ministries of all kinds were left to the
    looters...

    "In the case of the global climate crisis, Bush has publicly
    demeaned the authors of official reports by scientists in his own
    administration that underscore the extreme danger confronting the
    United States and the world, and instead prefers a crackpot analysis
    financed by the largest oil company on the planet, ExxonMobil. He
    even went so far as to censor elements of an EPA report dealing with
    global warming and substitute, in the official government report,
    language from the crackpot ExxonMobil report. The consequences of
    accepting ExxonMobil's advice - to do nothing to counter global
    warming - are almost literally unthinkable. Just in the last few
    weeks, scientists have reached a new, much stronger consensus that
    global warming is increasing the destructive power of hurricanes by
    as much as half of one full category on the one-to-five scale
    typically used by forecasters. So that a hurricane hitting Florida
    in the future that would have been a category three and a half, will
    on average become a category four hurricane. Scientists around the
    world are also alarmed by what appears to be an increase in the rate
    of CO2 buildup in the atmosphere - a development which, if confirmed
    in subsequent years, might signal the beginning of an extremely
    dangerous runaway greenhouse effect. Yet a third scientific group
    has just reported that the melting of ice in Antarctica, where 95
    percent of all the earth's ice is located, has dramatically
    accelerated. Yet Bush continues to rely, for his scientific advice
    about global warming, on the one company that most stands to benefit
    by delaying a recognition of reality."

http://mt_space.blogspot.com/2004/10/al-gores-speech-at-gaston-hall.html
http://www.c-span.org/video/?183978-1/bush-administration-policies&start=$%28start%29

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that