[TheClimate.Vote] October 22, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 22 10:55:38 EDT 2018

/October 22, 2018/

#Climatechange will harm us in unpredictable ways:
*Record floods overwhelm Austin (pop: 1M) water treatment system,
forcing boil water order
<https://twitter.com/MilesGrant/status/1054345303384645632>*
https://twitter.com/MilesGrant/status/1054345303384645632
https://www.statesman.com/news/20181022/austin-ordered-to-boil-water-flood-silt-stalls-treatment

[from Peter Sinclair]
*Florida Guv Candidate Gillum Roasts Opponent on Climate Change
<https://climatecrocks.com/2018/10/21/florida-guv-candidate-gillum-roasts-opponent-on-climate-change/>*
October 21, 2018
Andrew Gillum roasts the Florida GOP's climate change denial: "What
Florida voters need to know is that when they elect me governor they're
gonna have a governor who believes in science, which we haven't had for
quite some time in this state." #FLGovDebate
"..a governor who believes in science."
https://climatecrocks.com/2018/10/21/florida-guv-candidate-gillum-roasts-opponent-on-climate-change/

[Red Cross]
*Climate change is exacerbating world conflicts, says Red Cross
president
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/21/climate-change-is-exacerbating-world-conflicts-says-red-cross-president>*
Helen Davidson - 21 Oct 2018
'It's obvious some of the violence we are observing…is directly linked
to climate change,' says Peter Maurer
Climate change is already exacerbating domestic and international
conflicts, and governments must take steps to ensure it does not get
worse, the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross has said...
- - - -
"When I think about our engagement in sub-Saharan Africa, in Somalia, in
other places of the world, I see that climate change has already had a
massive impact on population movement, on fertility of land. It's moving
the border between pastoralist and agriculturalist."
Maurer, who was in Australia to speak about the changing nature of
modern conflict, said concern about the impact of climate change in the
Pacific was "enormous".
He said changing rainfall patterns change the fertility of land and push
populations, who may have settled and subsisted in one area for
centuries, to migrate.
"It's very obvious that some of the violence that we are observing…is
directly linked to the impact of climate change and changing rainfall
patterns."...
- - -
Donald Trump said little about the IPCC report, having already pledged
to withdraw the US from the Paris Agreement.
This made things difficult for everyone else, Ola Elvestuen, Norway's
environment minister, said last month, but still called for countries to
transition away from fossil fuels, embrace electric cars and halt
deforestation...
- - -
Maurer said there were now more people displaced than ever before,
approaching 70m across the globe. Two thirds are displaced internally,
and most of those who fled would go to a neighbouring country.
"At the end of the day there is no single policy that allows in any
satisfactory way a response to these issues, but there are multiple
things which can be done," he said.
more at -
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/21/climate-change-is-exacerbating-world-conflicts-says-red-cross-president

[Audio interview]
*Climate Code Red author and radio host Alex Smith talk about Climate
Emergency <https://wp.me/p3HkhX-3KV>*
by Editor
Wade into the swamp of climate illusions with Australian author David
Spratt. Alex Smith on October 17th, 2018, from radio Ecoshock,
interviews Climate Code Red, and What Lies Beneath author David Spratt
https://www.ecoshock.org/2018/10/stopping-cruel-climate-change.html
David Spratt on Twitter https://twitter.com/djspratt Radio Ecoshock on
twitter https://twitter.com/ecoshock
Take unprecedented action or bear the consequences, says eminent
scientist and advisor
http://www.climatecodered.org/2018/08/take-unprecedented-action-or-bear.html
The UN chief calls for emergency climate action, but what does that
actually mean in practice?
http://www.climatecodered.org/2018/10/the-un-chief-calls-for-emergency.html
How to communicate the climate emergency
http://www.climatecodered.org/2018/10/how-to-communicate-climate-emergency.html
https://wp.me/p3HkhX-3KV

[10 min video briefing in plain speech]
*Why the IPCC Report is so Scary
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZL3JZGLKY>*
Second Thought
Published on Oct 20, 2018
Link to IPCC report: http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/
Link to companies responsible for most emissions: https://goo.gl/bFdwi4
Why the IPCC Report is so Scary - Second Thought
SUBSCRIBE HERE: http://bit.ly/2nFsvTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZL3JZGLKY

[climatehealers.org]
*How to Prevent Year ZERO
<http://www.climatehealers.org/blog/2018/10/3/prevent-year-zero>*
Sailesh Rao
- - -
In 2014, researchers at the World Wildlife Fund released a report saying
that between 1970 and 2010, in just 40 years, the population of wild
vertebrates decreased by 52%. Then two years later, they released a
second report saying that between 1970 and 2012, the population of wild
vertebrates decreased by 58%. From these two data points, we can perform
a simple math calculation to tell us that at the current rate of
decline, 100% of these wild animals will be gone by 2026, just 8 short
years from now.

    Our grandchildren will ask us one day: Where were you during the
    Holocaust of the animals? What did you do against these horrifying
    crimes? We won't be able to offer the same excuse for the second
    time, that we didn't know. -- Dr. Helmut Kaplan

This is Year ZERO, the year when all wild animals are gone. Year ZERO is
fast approaching because we live in a system and culture of normalized
violence. All over the world, humans are destroying original forests to
make room for grazing animals or to grow crops for feeding animals. Then
humans are using sophisticated geo-locating technology to catch and kill
the last remaining schools of fish. And finally we are pouring 250
billion tons of toxic chemicals into the environment each year, which
kill the insects which kill the birds who eat those insects. So we are
attacking wild animals in the water, on land, and in the air. And this
leaves them no room to survive.
- - -
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
That new model is Vegan World 2026! with the goal to turn the whole
world Vegan by 2026. Join us for the Vegan World 2026! Conference on Oct
26-28, 2018 in Phoenix, AZ, as we work to co-create an open-source
system of normalized nonviolence and deploy it in order to Prevent Year
ZERO from ever occurring. As Shelley Ostroff writes,
"When  national and international governments fail, how can citizens of
all  nations unite and collaborate in an organized way to ensure a
thriving future for all life?
In the face of escalating global crises, the failure of our social
systems, mass awakening, and widespread access to global communications
technologies, citizens worldwide now have an unprecedented opportunity
to respond and organize effectively at a global level."
more at - http://www.climatehealers.org/blog/2018/10/3/prevent-year-zero

[ 16 pages PDF]
The Carbon Majors Database
CDP Carbon Majors Report 2017
<https://b8f65cb373b1b7b15feb-c70d8ead6ced550b4d987d7c03fcdd1d.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/cms/reports/documents/000/002/327/original/Carbon-Majors-Report-2017.pdf?1499691240>*
*This report is aimed at investors wishing to better
understand the amount of carbon associated with their
fossil fuel holdings.
- -
100 fossil fuel producers and nearly 1 trillion tonnes of greenhouse gas
emissions
The Carbon Majors Database stores greenhouse gas
(GHG) emissions data on the largest company-related
sources of all time. CDP's Carbon Majors Report 2017 is
the first in an ongoing series of publications aimed at using
this Database - the most comprehensive available - to
highlight the role that corporations can play in driving the
global energy transition.
Large-scale GHG emissions data has traditionally been
collected at the country-level. In fact, these emissions
can be traced to a smaller group of commercial decision
makers. The Carbon Majors Database was established
in 2013 by Richard Heede of the Climate Accountability
Institute (CAI) to show how these emissions are linked
to companies, or 'Carbon Majors'. Now CDP works in
collaboration with the CAI to maintain the Database and
share its important data and insights with all stakeholders.
This report looks at industrial carbon dioxide and methane
emissions deriving from fossil fuel producers in the past,
present, and future. In 1988, human-induced climate
change was officially recognized through the establishment
of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
Since this time, the fossil fuel industry has doubled its
contribution to global warming by emitting as much
greenhouse gas in 28 years as in the 237 years between
1988 and the birth of the industrial revolution. Since 1988,
more than half of global industrial GHGs can be traced to
just 25 corporate and state producers.
- - -

    Climate action is no longer confined to the direction given by
    policy makers --
    it is now a social movement, commanded by both economic and ethical
    imperatives
    and supported by growing amounts of data.

https://b8f65cb373b1b7b15feb-c70d8ead6ced550b4d987d7c03fcdd1d.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/cms/reports/documents/000/002/327/original/Carbon-Majors-Report-2017.pdf?1499691240

[clips from the IPCC report technical summary]
*Approval Session Technical Summary IPCC SR1.5
<http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_ts.pdf>*
Human Systems: Human Health, Well-Being, Cities, and Poverty
*Any increase in global warming (e.g., +0.5C) will affect human health
(high confidence). Risks**
**will be lower at 1.5C than at 2C for heat-related morbidity and
mortality (very high**
**confidence), particularly in urban areas because of urban heat islands
(high confidence).* Risks
also will be greater for ozone-related mortality if the emissions needed
for the formation of ozone
remain the same (high confidence), and for undernutrition (medium
confidence). Risks are projected
to change for some vector-borne diseases such as malaria and dengue
fever (high confidence), with
positive or negative trends depending on the disease, region, and extent
of change (high confidence).
Incorporating estimates of adaptation into projections reduces the
magnitude of risks (high
confidence) {3.4.7, 3.4.7.1}.
*Global warming of 2C is expected to pose greater risks to urban areas
than global warming of**
**1.5C (medium confidence).* The extent of risk depends on human
vulnerability and the effectiveness
of adaptation for regions (coastal and non-coastal), informal
settlements, and infrastructure sectors
(energy, water, and transport) (high confidence) {3.4.5, 3.4.8}.
*Poverty and disadvantage have increased with recent warming (about 1oC)
and are expected to**
**increase in many populations as average global temperatures increase
from 1oC to 1.5C and**
**beyond (medium confidence).* Outmigration in agricultural-dependent
communities is positively and
statistically significantly associated with global temperature (medium
confidence). Our understanding
of the linkages of 1.5ºC and 2ºC on human migration are limited and
represent an important
knowledge gap {3.4.10, 3.4.11, 5.2.2, Table 3.5}
- - - -
*The fundamental societal and systemic changes to achieve sustainable
development, eradicate**
**poverty and reduce inequalities while limiting warming to 1.5C would
require a set of**
**institutional, social, cultural, economic and technological conditions
to be met (high confidence).**
**The coordination and monitoring of policy actions across sectors and
spatial scales is essential to**
**support sustainable development in 1.5C warmer conditions (very high
confidence)* {5.6.2, Box 5.3}.
External funding and technology transfer better support these efforts
when they consider recipients'
context-specific needs (medium evidence, high agreement) {5.6.1}.
Inclusive processes can facilitate
transformations by ensuring participation, transparency, capacity
building, and iterative social
learning (high confidence) {5.5.3.3, Cross-Chapter Box 13, 5.6.3}.
Attention to power asymmetries
and unequal opportunities for development, among and within countries is
key to adopting 1.5C compatible
development pathways that benefit all populations (high confidence)
{5.5.3, 5.6.4, Box
5.3}. Re-examining individual and collective values could help spur
urgent, ambitious, and
cooperative change (medium evidence, high agreement) {5.5.3, 5.6.5}.
Clips from the summary at http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_ts.pdf
Full IPCC report - http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/

[OK and I've agreed not to be killed]
*Let's Agree Not to Kill One Another
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/20/opinion/sunday/lets-agree-not-to-kill-one-another.html>*
I was used to social media abuse. Then someone suggested shooting me.
Bill McKibben
In a world where the president goes on Twitter to call a woman
"horseface" it seems pointless to call for "civility." So let me suggest
that we start with a lower bar, maybe one we could still hope to
achieve: Let's stop threatening to kill one another.
- - -
I count nonviolence as perhaps the greatest invention of the 20th
century, above all because it opens up the possibility for conversion,
not domination. That was the point of my op-ed essay, the one that
garnered me the death threat. But we should practice nonviolence in ways
small as well as large, prosaic as well as dramatic.

In the case of Watts Up With That, I'd made the effort at de-escalation
myself. A few years ago, I was scheduled to give an organizing talk in
the small California town where the website's proprietor, Anthony Watts,
lived. So I contacted him and invited him out for a beer. I knew I
wouldn't change his mind on climate change, and he knew I would continue
to think his work involved wrecking the planet. But it always seems like
a human idea to reach out.

And it was fine. We had a couple of beers, he wrote up an account of our
conversation for his website, and even most of the commenters saluted us
for sitting down and talking. (It was odd enough that it even got
covered in The Times). But given the political world in which we live, a
world in which tribes divide up and then beat their chests, it wasn't
long before things were back to new ugly normal.

I don't want this website shut down; I don't want the people who write
on it prosecuted. I definitely don't want them murdered. I just want --
as the very beginning of some kind of return to the gentler old normalcy
-- for people to stop making death threats. That seems to me the least
we can ask of one another.

Bill McKibben, a founder of 350.org, teaches environmental studies at
Middlebury College and is the author of the forthcoming book "Falter:
Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/20/opinion/sunday/lets-agree-not-to-kill-one-another.html

*This Day in Climate History - October 22, 2007
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/holocausts/?_r=0> - from
D.R. Tucker*
October 22, 2007: NASA climate scientist James Hansen declares:

    "Coal will determine whether we continue to increase climate change
    or slow the human impact. Increased fossil fuel CO2 in the air
    today, compared to the pre-industrial atmosphere, is due 50% to
    coal, 35% to oil and 15% to gas. As oil resources peak, coal will
    determine future CO2 levels. Recently, after giving a high school
    commencement talk in my hometown, Denison, Iowa, I drove from
    Denison to Dunlap, where my parents are buried. For most of 20 miles
    there were trains parked, engine to caboose, half of the cars being
    filled with coal. If we cannot stop the building of more coal-fired
    power plants, those coal trains will be death trains – no less
    gruesome than if they were boxcars headed to crematoria, loaded with
    uncountable irreplaceable species.”

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/holocausts/?_r=0

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that