[TheClimate.Vote] September 19, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Sep 19 10:17:22 EDT 2018

/September 19, 2018/

[NYTime$ opinion]
*Jerry Brown Made Climate Change His Issue. Now, He's Not Sure How Much
Politicians Can Do
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/climate/jerry-brown-climate-change.html>*.
The California governor, set to retire in January, made global warming a
signature cause. His appraisal: "I don't know if I'm an optimist. I'm a
realist."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/climate/jerry-brown-climate-change.html

[to confirm see NRC Event Number: 53609]
*Emergency declared at Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina…
all personnel blocked from entering the facility as "hot shutdown" under
way
<https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-17-emergency-declared-at-brunswick-nuclear-power-plant-in-north-carolina-all-personnel-blocked-from-entering-the-facility-as-hot-shutdown-under-way.html>*
Emergency Class: UNUSUAL EVENT
10 CFR Section:
50.72(a) (1) (i) - EMERGENCY DECLARED
Event Number: 53609
https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-17-emergency-declared-at-brunswick-nuclear-power-plant-in-north-carolina-all-personnel-blocked-from-entering-the-facility-as-hot-shutdown-under-way.html
https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2018/20180917en.html
- - - - -
[can't swim, or fly]
1.7 Million Chickens Have Drowned in Florence's Floodwaters
<https://earther.gizmodo.com/1-7-million-chickens-have-drowned-in-florences-floodwat-1829150599>
https://earther.gizmodo.com/1-7-million-chickens-have-drowned-in-florences-floodwat-1829150599
- - - -
[Hog farm reports not in]
*Advisory on Hurricane Florence – Sept. 18 at 2:30 p.m.
<http://www.ncpork.org/advisory6/>*
http://www.ncpork.org/advisory6/

[Plenty enough]
*Group of 58,000 Science Teachers Issues No-Bullshit Position on Climate
Change
<https://earther.gizmodo.com/group-of-58-000-science-teachers-issues-no-bullshit-pos-1829106435>*
Maddie Stone - Sept 18, 2018
Last week, the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) put out a
position statement affirming as much and telling the naysayers to piss off.
Published September 13, the new position statement opens by
unequivocally acknowledging the "overwhelming scientific consensus" that
Earth's climate is changing due to human activity, while at the same
time noting that widespread confusion exists among the American public.
It recommends that science teachers and policy makers work to ensure
basic science climate concepts are included in K-12 educational
curricula--without the ginned up "controversy" pushed by climate denial
groups.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/group-of-58-000-science-teachers-issues-no-bullshit-pos-1829106435

[Bigger leaves take up more ozone]
*Some of Washington's biggest trees are dying and scientists don't know
why
<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/some-of-washingtons-biggest-trees-are-dying-and-scientists-dont-know-why/>*
 From British Columbia to California, stands of bigleaf maples are
dying, leaving bald patches in the forest canopy or even denuded hillsides.
By Craig Sailor
The (Tacoma) News Tribune
Something is killing bigleaf maples -- Washington's biggest broadleaf
tree -- and scientists can't stop it. They don't even know what's
causing it.
"We've looked for everything we can possibly think of and what people
smarter than us can think of," said Amy Ramsey, a forest pathologist
with the state Department of Natural Resources.
 From British Columbia to California, stands of bigleaf maples are
dying, leaving bald patches in the forest canopy or even denuded hillsides.
Reports of dying and dead maples first reached the DNR in 2010, Ramsey
said. Foresters noticed the trees were producing small, scorched-looking
leaves or none at all. Sometimes, the crown -- the uppermost branches of
the tree -- would die.
The reports, from forest professionals, were scattered at first. Then
the public began to call...
- - - --
So far, he hasn't found a smoking gun, but there are clues. Affected
trees are more likely to be in warmer and drier spots, closer to roads
and closer to developed sites.
- - - -
"They are going to be the canary in the coal mine," she said of the
bigleafs and other trees. "They are going to be the first indication of
climate change."
Meanwhile, near Randle, Patty Vance has no more healthy and mature
maples on her property.
"They're all in some sort of decline," she said.
She has advice for city dwellers.
"I would think twice before having a big maple in my front yard as an
ornamental tree," she said. "You fall in love with it. You wouldn't want
it to just die."
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/some-of-washingtons-biggest-trees-are-dying-and-scientists-dont-know-why/
- - - -
[ozone harmful to all living cells]
*Ozone Effects on Plants - Air (U.S. National Park Service)
<https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/nature-ozone.htm>*
Ground-level ozone is one of the most widespread air pollutants.
Naturally-occurring ozone in the upper atmosphere forms a layer that
absorbs the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays and protects all life on
earth. But, ground-level ozone can harm plants as well as human health
<https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/humanhealth-ozone.htm>. It does not
come directly from smokestacks or vehicles, but instead is formed when
other pollutants, mainly nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds,
react in the atmosphere in the presence of sunlight. Ozone causes
considerable damage to plants around the world, including agricultural
crops and plants in natural ecosystems.
*Ozone damages plants by entering leaf openings called stomata and
oxidizing (burning) plant tissue during respiration.* This damages the
plant leaves and causes reduced survival. Many factors can increase the
amount of ozone injury such as soil moisture, presence of other air
pollutants, insects or diseases, and other environmental stresses. Ozone
effects on natural vegetation have been documented throughout the
country, especially in many areas of the eastern U.S. and in California.
NPS ozone risk assessments rank park risk according to pollutant
exposure and ecosystem sensitivity (soil moisture and sensitive
species). Some species are more sensitive to ground-level ozone than
others. Search for a list of sensitive plant species by park. Also,
learn how ozone affects tree growth.
NPSozone risk assessments
<https://www.nps.gov/articles/ozone-risk-assessment.htm>rank park risk
according to pollutant exposure and ecosystem sensitivity (soil moisture
and sensitive species). Some species are more sensitive to ground-level
ozone than others. Search for alist of sensitive plant species
<https://irma.nps.gov/NPSpecies/Reports/Systemwide/Ozone-sensitive%20Species%20in%20a%20Park>by
park. Also, learn how ozone affectstree growth
<https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/nature-trees.htm>.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/nature-ozone.htm

[Two cites, two mayors opinions]
*As New York and London mayors, we call on all cities to divest from
fossil fuels
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/london-new-york-cities-divest-fossil-fuels-bill-de-blasio-sadiq-khan>*
Together, the world's urban centres can send a message to the fossil
fuel industry: join us in tackling climate change
This summer it seemed as if our two cities had changed places. London
was hot and dry while New York had days and days of rain. According to
leading scientists, the heatwave in Europe over recent months was made
twice as likely by climate change resulting from human activity. There
is also growing evidence of the link between climate change and the
frequency of major floods, as well as the severity of hurricanes...
- - -
In New York, divestment is under way, with the goal of total divestment
within five years. This will mean removing some $5bn (£3.8bn) in
investment from the industry.
Both our cities are also investing in a sustainable future. London
recently launched the £500m Mayor's Energy Efficiency Fund, working with
the European Regional Development Fund and private sector investors to
help hospitals, museums, offices, libraries, social housing and
universities to become greener and more energy efficient.
- - - -
We believe we can demonstrate to the world that divestment is a powerful
tool and a prudent use of resources. And that, together, our cities -
New York, London and many others around the world - can send a clear
message to the fossil fuel industry: change your ways now and join us in
tackling climate change.
Climate change knows no borders, and taking this kind of action now
could help us make a crucial difference to the people we represent and
the future of our planet.
Bill de Blasio is mayor of New York City and Sadiq Khan is mayor of London
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/london-new-york-cities-divest-fossil-fuels-bill-de-blasio-sadiq-khan

[YouTube video]
*Paul McCartney: Despite Repeated Warnings (Extended Music Video)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxRMomGtpic>*
Climate State - Published on Sep 18, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxRMomGtpic
- - - - - -
[McCartney song (2:44) lyrics]
*Despite Repeated Warnings
<https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Paul-mccartney-despite-repeated-warnings-lyrics>*
Paul McCartney - Album Egypt Station
Produced by Greg Kurstin

    Part I
    [Verse 1]
    Despite repeated warnings
    Of dangers up ahead
    The captain won't be listening
    To what's been said

    [Verse 2]
    He feels that there's a good chance
    That we have been misled
    And so the captain's planning
    To steam ahead

    [Bridge 1]
    What can we do, what can we do
    What can we do to stop this foolish plan going through?
    What can we do, what can we do? (Yeah, yeah!)
    This man is bound to lose his ship and his crew

    [Verse 3]
    Despite repeated warnings
     From those who ought to know
    Well, he's got his own agenda
    And so he'll go

    [Bridge 2]
    (What can we do?)
    Those who shout the loudest (What can we do?)
    May not always be the smartest (What can we do?)
    But they have their proudest moments
    Right before they fall
    (What can we do?)
    Red sky in the morning (What can we do?)
    Doesn't ever seem to faze him (What can we do?)
    But a sailor's warning signal
    Should concern us all, whoa-oh

    Part II
    [Chorus]
    How can we stop him?
    Grab the keys and lock him up
    If we can do it
    We can save the day

    [Verse 1]
    The engineer lives with his wife and daughter, Janet
    But he misses them so
    Although he's working with the best crew on the planet (We're the
    best crew on the planet!)
    They never want him to go

    He had a premonition
    He senses something's wrong
    And by his own admission
    He knew it all along

    The captain's crazy
    But he doesn't let them know it
    He'll take us with him
    If we don't do something soon to slow it

    [Chorus]
    How can we stop him?
    Grab the keys and lock him up
    If we can do it
    We can save the day

    [Bridge]
    Below decks, the engineer cries
    The captain's gonna leave us when the temperatures rise
    The needle's going up, the engine's gonna blow
    And we are gonna be left down below
    Down below

    Part III
    [Instrumental Intro]

    [Chorus]
    Yes we can do it
    Yeah, we can do it now
    Yes we can do it

    [Instrumental interlude]

    [Chorus]
    Yes, we can do it
    Yeah, we can do it now
    Yes, we can do it
    Yeah, we can do it now
    Yes, we can do it
    Yeah, we can do it now
    Oh yeah

    [Verse]
    If life would work out the way you plan it
    That'd be so fine for the wife and Janet
    Sometimes you might have to battle through it
    And that's the way you learn how you've got to do it

    [Bridge]
    Yes, we can do it, whoa-oh
    Yes, we can do it, whoa-oh-whoa
    Yes, we can do it, whoa-oh-whoa
    Yes, we can do it, whoa-oh-whoa

    Part I reprise
    [Verse 1]
    Despite repeated warnings
    Of dangers up ahead
    Well, the captain wasn't listening
    To what was said

    [Outro]
    So we went to the captain (What can we do? / For those who shout the
    loudest)
    And we told him to turn around (What can we do? / May not always be
    the smartest)
    But he laughs in our faces (What can we do? / But they have their
    proudest moments)
    Says that we are mistaken (Right before they fall)
    So we gather around him (What can we do? / Red sky in the morning)
    Now the ropes that have bound him (What can we do? / Doesn't ever
    seem to phase him)
    Prove that he should have listened (What can we do? / But a sailor's
    warning signal) (Should concern us all)
    To the will of the people
    It's the will of the people
    It's the will of the people

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Paul-mccartney-despite-repeated-warnings-lyrics
https://youtu.be/UQKfUKPouuQ

[political philosophizing in VICE]
*Scientists Warn the UN of Capitalism's Imminent Demise
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/43pek3/scientists-warn-the-un-of-capitalisms-imminent-demise>*
By Nafeez Ahmed - Aug 27 2018
A climate change-fueled switch away from fossil fuels means the
worldwide economy will fundamentally need to change.
Capitalism as we know it is over. So suggests a new report commissioned
by a group of scientists appointed by the UN Secretary-General. The main
reason? We're transitioning rapidly to a radically different global
economy, due to our increasingly unsustainable exploitation of the
planet's environmental resources.
Climate change and species extinctions are accelerating even as
societies are experiencing rising inequality, unemployment, slow
economic growth, rising debt levels, and impotent governments. Contrary
to the way policymakers usually think about these problems, the new
report says that these are not really separate crises at all...
- - - -
Rather, these crises are part of the same fundamental transition to a
new era characterized by inefficient fossil fuel production and the
escalating costs of climate change. Conventional capitalist economic
thinking can no longer explain, predict, or solve the workings of the
global economy in this new age, the paper says.
*Energy shift*
Those are the stark implications of a new scientific background paper
prepared by a team of Finnish biophysicists. The team from the BIOS
Research Unit in Finland were asked to provide research that would feed
into the drafting of the UN Global Sustainable Development Report
(GSDR), which will be released in 2019.
For the "first time in human history," the paper says, capitalist
economies are "shifting to energy sources that are less energy
efficient." This applies to all forms of energy. Producing usable energy
("exergy") to keep powering "both basic and non-basic human activities"
in industrial civilisation "will require more, not less, effort."...
- - - -
The scientists refer to the pioneering work of systems ecologist
Professor Charles Hall of the State University of New York with
economist Professor Kent Klitgaard from Wells College. Earlier this
year, Hall and Klitgaard released an updated edition of their seminal
book, Energy and the Wealth of Nations: An Introduction to BioPhysical
Economics.
Hall and Klitgaard are highly critical of mainstream capitalist economic
theory, which they say has become divorced from some of the most
fundamental principles of science. They refer to the concept of 'Energy
Return on Investment' (EROI) as a key indicator of the shift into a new
age of difficult energy. EROI is a simple ratio that measures how much
energy we use to extract more energy.
"For the last century, all we had to do was to pump more and more oil
out of the ground," say Hall and Klitgaard. Decades ago, fossil fuels
had very high EROI values--a little bit of energy allowed us to extract
large amounts of oil, gas and coal...
- - - -
Earlier in August, billionaire investor Jeremy Grantham--who has a track
record of consistently calling financial bubbles--released an update to
his April 2013 analysis, 'The Race of Our Lives.'
The new paper, 'The Race of Our Lives Revisited,' provides a bruising
indictment of contemporary capitalism's complicity in the ecological
crisis. Grantham's verdict is that "capitalism and mainstream economics
simply cannot deal with these problems," namely, the systematic
depletion of planetary ecosystems and environmental resources:
"The replacement cost of the copper, phosphate, oil, and soil--and so
on--that we use is not even considered. If it were, it's likely that the
last 10 or 20 years (for the developed world, anyway) has seen no true
profit at all, no increase in income, but the reverse," he wrote....
- - - -
Overall, the paper claims that we have moved into a new, unpredictable
and unprecedented space in which the conventional economic toolbox has
no answers. As slow economic growth simmers along, central banks have
resorted to negative interest rates and buying up huge quantities of
public debt to keep our economies rolling. But what happens after these
measures are exhausted? Governments and bankers are running out of options.
"It can be safely said that no widely applicable economic models have
been developed specifically for the upcoming era," write the Finnish
scientists.
Having identified the gap, they lay out the opportunities for transition.
In this low EROI future, we simply have to accept the hard fact that we
will not be able to sustain current levels of economic growth. "Meeting
current or growing levels of energy need in the next few decades with
low-carbon solutions will be extremely difficult, if not impossible,"
the paper finds. The economic transition must involve efforts "to lower
total energy use."

Key areas to achieve this include transport, food, and construction.
City planning needs to adapt to the promotion of walking and biking, a
shift toward public transport, as well as the electrification of
transport. Homes and workplaces will become more connected and
localised. Meanwhile, international freight transport and aviation
cannot continue to grow at current rates.
As with transport, the global food system will need to be overhauled.
Climate change and oil-intensive agriculture have unearthed the dangers
of countries becoming dependent on food imports from a few main
production areas. A shift toward food self-sufficiency across both
poorer and richer countries will be essential. And ultimately, dairy and
meat should make way for largely plant-based diets.

The construction industry's focus on energy-intensive manufacturing,
dominated by concrete and steel, should be replaced by alternative
materials. The BIOS paper recommends a return to the use of long-lasting
wood buildings, which can help to store carbon, but other options such
as biochar might be effective too.
But capitalist markets will not be capable of facilitating the required
changes - governments will need to step up, and institutions will need
to actively shape markets to fit the goals of human survival. Right now,
the prospects for this look slim. But the new paper argues that either
way, change is coming.
Whether or not the system that emerges still comprises a form of
capitalism is ultimately a semantic question. It depends on how you
define capitalism.
"Capitalism, in that situation, is not like ours now," said Jaarvensivu.
"Economic activity is driven by meaning--maintaining equal possibilities
for the good life while lowering emissions dramatically--rather than
profit, and the meaning is politically, collectively constructed. Well,
I think this is the best conceivable case in terms of modern state and
market institutions. It can't happen without considerable reframing of
economic-political thinking, however."
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/43pek3/scientists-warn-the-un-of-capitalisms-imminent-demise

*This Day in Climate History - September 19, 2015
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/opinion/crazy-talk-at-the-republican-debate.html?ref=opinion>
- from D.R. Tucker*
September 18, 2015: The New York Times editorial page observes:

    "On looming disasters (the changing climate) and more immediate ones
    (a possible government shutdown over, of all things, Planned
    Parenthood), the [September 16, 2015 Republican presidential debate]
    offered no reassurance that grown-ups were at the table, or even in
    the neighborhood."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/opinion/crazy-talk-at-the-republican-debate.html?ref=opinion

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that