[TheClimate.Vote] September 20, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Sep 20 10:58:14 EDT 2018

/September 20, 2018/

[aftermath video]
*Dramatic Drone Video Shows NC Town Completely Under Water
<https://weather.com/storms/severe/video/dramatic-drone-video-shows-nc-town-completely-under-water>*
Drone video shows the town of Chinquapin, North Carolina completely
under water in the aftermath of Florence.
https://weather.com/storms/severe/video/dramatic-drone-video-shows-nc-town-completely-under-water
- - - -
[17 mins interviews]
*Rev. Barber: North Carolina Has Two Storms--Florence & the Policies
That Keep People in Poverty <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1zqX3NNfVg>*
Democracy Now! - Published on Sep 19, 2018
https://democracynow.org - As President Trump visits North Carolina,
where thousands are evacuating after Hurricane Florence caused record
flooding, we go to Raleigh to speak with Rev. Dr. William Barber,
co-chair of the Poor People's Campaign. Areas devastated by the storm
include some of the poorest areas on the Eastern Seaboard. Barber's
recent CNN piece is headlined "In hurricane wind and waves, the poor
suffer most."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1zqX3NNfVg

[international carbon capitalists]
*Business lobby prepares pushback against EU climate goals update
<https://www.euractiv.com/section/climate-environment/news/business-lobby-prepares-pushback-against-eu-climate-goals-update>*
By Frederic Simon | EURACTIV.com
A leaked internal memo, obtained by EURACTIV, gives a rare glimpse into
the communication strategy of Europe's main business lobby group ahead
of the COP24 conference later this year, showing how it plans to
"oppose" any increase in the EU's climate ambition for 2030.
The memo from BusinessEurope, dated 13 September, shows how Europe's
biggest employer association intends to "challenge" EU plans to aim
higher in the fight against climate change.
The document, which will be discussed at an internal meeting on
Wednesday, says the main line to take about the EU's climate policy
should be "rather positive, as long as it remains a political statement
with no implications" on the EU's existing commitments under the Paris
Agreement.
Miguel Arias Canete, the EU climate action commissioner, has suggested
updating the EU's greenhouse gas reduction target for 2030, arguing that
the EU's level of ambition had "de facto" been raised after an agreement
was struck on renewables and energy efficiency targets earlier in June.
Currently, the EU envisages cutting its emissions by "at least 40%" by
2030 based on 1990 levels. That target would effectively be raised to
45% following the deal on renewables and energy efficiency, Canete said.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/climate-environment/news/business-lobby-prepares-pushback-against-eu-climate-goals-update

[heating changes geology]
*Tropics Expanding with Climate Change
<https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2018/09/tropics-expanding-climate-change>*
9/18/2018
by Seth Augenstein - Senior Science Writer
The tropics are expanding outward from the Equator due to the various
factors causing climate change, according to a new study.
The thermal patterns since the late 1970s have gradually pushed the arid
and semi-arid regions of the tropics by about 17 miles per decade,
according to the paper in the journal Nature Climate Change.
"Our synthesis shows strong evidence that the tropics have widened by
about 0.5 degrees per decade since the beginning of the satellite era
(1979)," write the authors. "Since no one has a crystal ball to tell
when the (Pacific decadal oscillation) will switch phases (as decadal
prediction remains a major challenge to the climate community), it is
impossible to predict whether or not the Earth's tropical belt is going
to continue bulging in the coming decade."
The estimations have nothing to do with the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic
of Capricorn, at 23 degree 27 minutes north and south, respectively.
Instead, the estimations were based on observations of the climate
patterns established by the Hadley cells, cycles that circulate heat and
thermal energy and weather patterns from the Equator outward to the
subtropics, and back again, like a natural pump.
The dynamics have been reaching ever outward toward the temperate zones
since the advent of satellite observations, the researchers conclude.
The team identifies various factors including greenhouse gas emission,
ozone depletion at the South Pole, volcanic aerosols, pollution and
natural variation, which may play a part in the changes. The balance
between naturally-driven and human-caused changes have yet to be better
understood...
https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2018/09/tropics-expanding-climate-change
- - - -
[source material]
*Re-examining tropical expansion
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0246-2>*
- - - - -
[Reuters: alternating drought and flood]
*'Catastrophic' floods rising on Amazon River, say scientists
<https://uk.reuters.com/article/brazil-environment-floods/catastrophic-floods-rising-on-amazon-river-say-scientists-idUKL8N1W45BD>*
Sophie Hares, Thomson Reuters Foundation
TEPIC, Mexico, Sept 19 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Severe flooding on
the Amazon has increased amid changing weather patterns, and is harming
the health and incomes of people living along the world's biggest river,
scientists said.
Analysing more than 100 years of records measuring Amazon River levels
in the port of Manaus in Brazil, they found extreme floods that occurred
roughly once every 20 years in the first part of last century are now
happening about every four years...
- - - -
In a paper published on Wednesday in the journal Science Advances,
researchers from institutions including Britain's University of Leeds
said severe flooding had affected the Amazon basin nearly every year
from 2009 to 2015.
They linked the increase in flooding to a combination of warmer
temperatures over the Atlantic Ocean and cooler temperatures over the
Pacific.
Known as the Walker circulation, this effect influences tropical weather
patterns, and can partly be attributed to shifts in wind belts caused by
global warming, the study said.
With temperatures in the Atlantic expected to rise more than in the
Pacific, flood risks on the Amazon River will persist, the scientists
predicted.
"We think that it's going to continue for at least a decade," said
Barichivich, formerly a University of Leeds research fellow.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/brazil-environment-floods/catastrophic-floods-rising-on-amazon-river-say-scientists-idUKL8N1W45BD

[affects weather]
*Natural climate oscillations in north Atlantic linked to Greenland ice
sheet melt <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180918110838.htm>*