[TheClimate.Vote] September 21, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Sep 21 10:04:06 EDT 2018

/September 21, 2018/

[cough, couch, what??]
*Researchers at ASU link air pollution to Alzheimer's disease
<https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2018/09/14/small-particulates-air-linked-dementia-asu-research-finds-alzheimers-disease/1279638002/>*
Stephanie Innes, Arizona Republic
Researchers from Arizona State University have found another good reason
to stay indoors on days when the local air pollution is high -- it could
help prevent dementia.
A recently released working paper by three ASU economists makes the case
that prolonged exposure to air pollution does not just cause respiratory
problems, but also puts individuals at higher risk for dementia,
including Alzheimer's disease.
The researchers suggest that improving air quality has huge value due to
longer and better lives that result from lower rates of dementia.
"One of the bottom lines is that our work shows the cost of air
pollution and the benefits of regulation are higher than we knew
previously," said ASU health-care economist Jonathan D. Ketcham, a
co-author of the paper, which is titled, "Hazed and Confused: The Effect
of Air Pollution on Dementia."
The ASU researchers estimate, for example, that implementation of an
Environmental Protection Agency standard on fine-particulate air
pollution in 1997 through the Clean Air Act in previously unregulated
counties averted approximately 140,000 people living with dementia in 2013.
"Because no medical preventions or cures exist, policy discussions have
focused on investment in research and health infrastructure, and
modifying behaviors related to smoking, diet and exercise," the
researchers write. "Our findings reveal another level available to
policy makers: regulating air pollution."
The size of particulates smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter allows
those particulates to remain airborne for long periods, to penetrate
buildings, to be inhaled easily and to reach and accumulate within brain
tissue, the researchers write. They cite other studies that show the
accumulation of particulates in the brain can cause neuroinflammation,
which is associated with symptoms of dementia.
- - - -
Another unknown is whether a particular type of fine-particulate air
pollution is linked to dementia.
"It's really the fine-particulate matter, the air-pollution particulates
smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter that we see causing increases in
dementia. Across the United States, exactly what's in that PM2.5
differs," Kuminoff said. "In some areas, it's primarily automobile
emissions. In other areas, it's primarily emissions from burning coal to
generate electricity. In other areas, it can be different combinations
of combustion and dust and so on."
- - - -
"One of the implications for policymakers today is that we find the
benefits for reducing pollution exist, even below the current EPA
threshold," Ketcham said. "Lowering them further would have additional
benefits in terms of reducing dementia in the U.S."...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2018/09/14/small-particulates-air-linked-dementia-asu-research-finds-alzheimers-disease/1279638002/
- - - - -
[Wow, we've known about this for a while now]
*THE POLLUTED BRAIN
<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/brain-pollution-evidence-builds-dirty-air-causes-alzheimer-s-dementia>*
Evidence builds that dirty air causes Alzheimer's, dementia
By Emily Underwood - Jan. 26, 2017
Some of the health risks of inhaling fine and ultrafine particles are
well-established, such as asthma, lung cancer, and, most recently, heart
disease. But a growing body of evidence suggests that exposure can also
harm the brain, accelerating cognitive aging, and may even increase risk
of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

The link between air pollution and dementia remains controversial--even
its proponents warn that more research is needed to confirm a causal
connection and work out just how the particles might enter the brain and
make mischief there. But a growing number of epidemiological studies
from around the world, new findings from animal models and human brain
imaging studies, and increasingly sophisticated techniques for modeling
PM2.5 exposures have raised alarms. Indeed, in an 11-year
epidemiological study to be published next week in Translational
Psychiatry, USC researchers will report that living in places with PM2.5
exposures higher than the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA's)
standard of 12 ug/m3 nearly doubled dementia risk in older women. If the
finding holds up in the general population, air pollution could account
for roughly 21% of dementia cases worldwide, says the study's senior
author, epidemiologist Jiu-Chiuan Chen of the Keck School of Medicine at
USC...
- - - - -
Some people may be more susceptible than others. In the Translational
Psychiatry study, Chen's team found that women carrying the Alzheimer's
risk gene APOE4 faced a disproportionately higher risk from pollution.
And recently, Finch has started to examine the overlap--and potential
synergy--between PM2.5 and cigarette smoke. The smoke is itself rich in
ultrafine particles and can trigger the production of amyloid plaques
and neuroinflammation in mouse models. Although smoking was once
considered protective against Alzheimer's, prospective studies have
since established tobacco smoke as a major risk factor, he says. In
2014, for example, a report published by the World Health Organization
attributed as much as 14% of Alzheimer's disease worldwide to smoking.

Pollution may take a greater cognitive toll on the poor, in part because
they are more likely to live in places with higher PM2.5 exposures, such
as near major roadways or ports. Jennifer Ailshire, a USC sociologist,
says stresses linked to poverty also could amplify the effects of the
toxic particles. In one of her most recent studies, elderly people who
rated their neighborhoods as stressful--citing signs of decay and
disorder, such as litter and crime--did worse on cognitive tests than
people who were exposed to similar pollution levels, but lived in less
stressful neighborhoods, she says. "Living in L.A. [Los Angeles], we are
all exposed to a lot of pollution, but some of us are fine," she says.
When seeking to reduce the negative health impacts from air pollution,
cities "might want to try to focus specifically on reducing pollution in
communities particularly vulnerable to these exposures," she says.

But no one studying the suspected effects of pollutant particles on the
brain is eager to do triage. If PM2.5 is guilty as charged, they say,
the goal for policymakers worldwide should be to push down levels as far
as possible. When all the research is in, Finch says, "I think [air
pollution] will turn out to be just the same as tobacco--there's no safe
threshold."
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/brain-pollution-evidence-builds-dirty-air-causes-alzheimer-s-dementia

[we have felt this already]
*Psychologists explain our climate change anxiety
<https://thinkprogress.org/hurricanes-wildfires-heatwaves-climate-anxiety-what-psychologists-have-to-say-77a4c4ecaf3b/>*
"You cannot have a healthy society that is scared."
KYLA MANDEL - SEP 19, 2018
https://thinkprogress.org/hurricanes-wildfires-heatwaves-climate-anxiety-what-psychologists-have-to-say-77a4c4ecaf3b/
- - - -
[survey says]
*'Even the Best-Run Hurricane Shelters Can Be Highly Stressful'
<https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/09/shelter-with-friends-family-hurricane-trauma/570703/>*
Thousands of North Carolina residents are still displaced after
Hurricane Florence, but research suggests evacuees who stay with family
or friends are less likely to develop PTSD symptoms.
ASHLEY FETTERS SEP 19, 2018
A study published earlier this year in the Journal of Emergency
Management found that among New York City-area residents displaced by
Hurricane Sandy in 2012, "participants who were able to stay with
friends or family had 48 percent decreased odds of experiencing PTSD
symptoms as compared to those who were displaced and stayed in a
shelter." The study goes on to note that any displacement from a natural
disaster has a negative impact on mental health--but displacement to the
home of a loved one or a familiar person can lessen the traumatic
effects associated with having to leave or abandon one's own home. (As
the lead researcher, Rebecca Schwartz, an associate professor at the
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra University, clarified in an email,
"displaced" in this study meant spending at least one night away from
one's home.)
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/09/shelter-with-friends-family-hurricane-trauma/570703/

[Watch ice melt]
*Climate change and tourism: The Alps may become an even more attractive
summer destination
<https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/19/climate-change-and-tourism-the-alps-may-become-an-even-more-attractive-summer-destination>*
https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/19/climate-change-and-tourism-the-alps-may-become-an-even-more-attractive-summer-destination

[Insurance not assured]
*Footing The Bill For Climate Change: 'By The End Of The Day, Someone
Has To Pay'
<https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/648700837/price-tag-of-natural-disasters-grows>*
September 20, 20185:07 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Colin Dwyer
Munich Re has laid out the challenges of a changing climate. As one of
the world's largest reinsurers, the company insures other insurers in
cases of catastrophe, so it has good reason to keep track of
catastrophes such as Florence. It has been doing so for nearly four decades.
"When I look back to the 1980s, we recorded 200 to 300 events --
catastrophe events -- annually, and today we are close to about 1,000
events," says Munich Re's chief climatologist, Ernst Rauch, who has been
doing this research for the reinsurer for 30 years.
That means a lot of losses that insurers must be prepared to cover. Last
year alone, it meant roughly $135 billion in insured losses -- including
a record amount in California, where wildfires drove nearly $12 billion
in insurance claims in just a three-month span.
That huge sum is just one reason why wildfires keep California Insurance
Commissioner Dave Jones up at night.
"The climate scientists tell us that we're going to continue to see
temperatures rise, and that will contribute to more catastrophic
weather-related events," Jones says. "In California, what this has meant
is loss of life, loss of property, business interruption, community
devastation associated with wildfires."...
- - - - -
"Rich people can afford richer policies," Hunter says. "You have to pay
a lot for that, but if your house gets destroyed, you're going to get
totally rebuilt. But poorer people who can't afford that are going to
buy slimmed down policies -- some of them won't even know they're
slimmed down until the event happens."
"And then, the very poor will be priced out. Those are the people who
will probably -- not probably, will -- get hurt the most," he says.
That's a point voiced not just by advocates, but also by regulators and
some researchers in the insurance industry.
"If you think beyond the next 10, 20, 30 years, then climate change
could play a major role when it comes to the issue of affordability or
availability [of insurance] in certain areas," says Rauch, Munich Re's
climatologist, who predicts these bills "will become, sooner or later, a
social issue."
"Because by the end of the day," he adds, "someone has to pay for the
increasing risk caused by climate change."
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/648700837/price-tag-of-natural-disasters-grows

[The big boy has joined the club of big boys]
*ExxonMobil agrees to join oil and gas climate change alliance
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/20/exxonmobil-joins-oil-gas-climate-change-alliance-global-warming>**
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/20/exxonmobil-joins-oil-gas-climate-change-alliance-global-warming>*U-turn
means company will join BP, Shell and Total in contributing $100m to project
Adam Vaughan Energy correspondent
ExxonMobil has joined the oil and gas industry's flagship climate change
project, reversing its decision not to join the alliance four years ago.
The company was a notable holdout when the Oil and Gas Climate
Initiative (OCGI) was launched, but will now join European peers BP,
Shell and Total in contributing $100m (pound75m) to curb the impact of
global warming.
The move is the clearest sign yet the US company is taking a more
progressive stance on global warming.
Exxon, which promoted climate denial for years despite knowing about the
risks since 1981, had shifted its tone on climate change under the
leadership of Rex Tillerson. But while acknowledging global warming was
real and linked to fossil fuel use, Tillerson said fears over climate
change were overblown...
- - - - -
Two other US oil companies, Chevron and Occidental Petroleum, have also
joined the initiative, taking its total climate fund to $1.3bn.
The project, which has been derided as "greenwash" by campaigners,
previously had 10 members, which represented 20% of global oil and gas
production. The new additions have taken that figure to 30%.
Exxon's annual contribution, which works out at $10m a year over a
decade, represents just 0.04% of its planned capital expenditure of
$25bn in 2018.
Greg Muttitt, a campaigner at Oil Change International, said: "It is
hardly surprising that ExxonMobil, when faced with lawsuits for lying
for decades about what it knew about climate change, should want to join
an initiative that claims oil companies care about climate."...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/20/exxonmobil-joins-oil-gas-climate-change-alliance-global-warming
- - - - -
[Here is the alliance]
*Oil and Gas Climate Initiative <http://oilandgasclimateinitiative.com/>*
CATALYST FOR CHANGE
Collaborating to realize the energy transition
OGCI is a voluntary, CEO-led initiative which aims to lead the industry
response to climate change. Launched in 2014, OGCI is currently made up
of ten oil and gas companies that pool expert knowledge and collaborate
on action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
ABOUT OGCI
We, the leaders of the ten major oil and gas companies, are committed to
the direction set out by the Paris Agreement on climate change. We
support its agenda for global action and the need for urgency. Through
our collaboration in Oil and Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI), we can be a
catalyst for change in our industry and more widely.
OGCI aims to increase the ambition, speed and scale of the initiatives
we undertake as individual companies to reduce the greenhouse gas
footprint of our core oil and gas business - and to explore new
businesses and technologies.
http://oilandgasclimateinitiative.com/
- - - -
[very slick video message few bother to view]
*Oil and Gas Climate Initiative - highlights - October 2017
<https://youtu.be/XA7210IZ8TU>*
BP Published on Nov 6, 2017
"There is one common theme - we all believe that we need to work
together on the future of climate change." - Pratima Rangarajan, CEO OGCI
Watch highlights from the OGCI event in London as companies and climate
experts came together to work towards an energy rich future, whilst
limiting emissions
https://youtu.be/XA7210IZ8TU

[Whole Earth Rant from Stewart Brand]
https://www.wired.com/story/wired25-stewart-brand-whole-earth/
STEWART BRAND at age 79, the WHOLE EARTH CATALOG GUY: ----- ''And here's
my hopeful version: Climate change is forcing humanity to act as one to
solve a problem that we created. It's not like the Cold War. Climate
change is like a civilizational fever. And we've got to find various
ways to understand the fever and cure it in aggregate.

''All this suggests that this century will be one where a kind of
planetary civilization wakes up and discovers itself, that we are as
gods and we have to get good at it.

    ["We are as gods, and may as well get good at it. This might include
    losing the pride that went before the fall we are in the process of
    taking. Rolling with such a fall is our present lesson--learning
    whatever resilience, ingenuity, basic skills, and enthused
    detachment that survival requires. And learning perhaps to reverence
    some Gods who are not as us." --Whole Earth Epilog]

''One of the advantages of climate change is it forces you to think long
term, because there's nothing you can do this week to solve climate
change by next week. Not going to happen. If we were able to somehow
shut off excess greenhouse gases right now, the ocean is such a flywheel
it's going to keep on rising for a long time. So OK. The cities with
innovation and economic engines are on the coasts, where the water will
come. That means we're all going to become smart Dutch engineers,
solving problems at a large infrastructure scale, because we'll be
forced to.

''Sea level rise and the other climate change issues, I think, get
humanity into a joint problem-­solving mode that will be massively
beneficial in the long run, at the century scale.

    ["Whenever the ball approached a goal, players from the winning side
    would defect to lend a hand to the losers ... That first Earthball
    game went on for an hour without score. The players had been
    competing, but not to win. Their unspoken agreement had been to
    play, as long and as hard as possible."--The New Games Book, 1976]

''Of course, it's hard to see how the swim the Republicans are in now
plays out. It is one of the most fascinating times in American history,
because you have three branches of government all in the hands of one
brain-dead party. What happens? [Laughs.] But I think that you can have
a lot of dysfunction at the federal government level, and also have a
whole lot of civic health and innovation going on in the city and town
level.
''... climate: We can see the problem but we can't see the solution. So
the problem fills our minds. But here's the thing: Solutions don't have
to fill everybody's mind--they just have to fill enough minds so that we
can work them out. I see this as a fantastic century to be alive, where
the problems are very well understood. And we always surprise ourselves
with our abilities to solve problems.
''I think this is really going to be a global century. And I can't help
thinking that's good news. --As told to Maria Streshinsky in WIRED
website today
https://www.wired.com/story/wired25-stewart-brand-whole-earth/

[keep aware]
*UN report identifies where global harvests will rise and fall by 2050
<https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/un-report-shows-climate-change-effect-on-farming.html>*

    A UN study has identified which farmers will win or lose as the
    planet warms.
    West Africa and India are highlighted as likely to see agricultural
    production fall.
    Canada, Russia and the United States are likely to grow their
    exports and output by 2050.

Using the year 2050 as an end point, the report stated that declines are
forecast to be most obvious in West Africa and India where farming yield
could fall by as much as 2.9 and 2.6 percent respectively.

Changes in agricultural production by the year 2050.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Changes in agricultural production by the year 2050.
Conversely, the UN researchers forecast that higher temperatures in
higher latitude regions will increase harvest. Winners in this model
include Canada (2.5 percent) and Russia (0.9 percent) and suggested that
even parts of Finland could soon be warm enough to produce cereal.

"Whereas most tropical regions are likely to experience production
losses due to rising temperatures, production in temperate regions is
expected to benefit from warmer climate and longer growing seasons," the
report said.

South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa are identified as at highest risk
economically as much of the present employment and national income in
those areas are derived from small-scale agriculture.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/un-report-shows-climate-change-effect-on-farming.html

[fungus among us]
*Lowly In Stature, Fungi Play A Big Role In Regulating The Climate
<http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/09/18/mushrooms-fungi-climate>*
07:22 - September 18, 2018
Bruce Gellerman
People can eat only a few types of mushrooms, but some species of fungi
can eat just about anything -- from nerve gas to plastics. Fungi and
bacteria are nature's recyclers. They feast on dead and decaying plants
and animals, transforming the fungal food into essential nutrients and
elements plants require.
"I think we're just beginning to understand how critical they are,"
Price says, "because of the ecological balance they maintain. If you
have a healthy soil with plenty of fungi and microbes you have the
pieces that are necessary to support life."...
- - - - -
Thanks to fungi there's twice as much carbon locked in the ground as in
the atmosphere. One square meter of healthy soil can contain 12,000
miles of tangled fungi filament.

"So essentially the more fungi grow in soil, the more carbon dioxide
[that] can be drawn out of the atmosphere,"...
- - - - - -
"When it's warmer," Templer says, "we see faster rates of decomposition
of all those branches, roots, leaves, frogs, birds, whatever -- anything
that was alive that's on the forest floor -- and an increase in how much
carbon dioxide is leaving the soils, no longer being stored there, boom,
going back into the atmosphere."

It's a forest-destroying, climate-disrupting feedback loop -- warmer
temperature, less snowfall. Exposed ground in winter freezes faster,
deeper, longer -- stunting tree growth and the storage of carbon.
"Overall we're seeing a greater increase in soil losses of carbon
dioxide," Templer says. "The net effect is what we're trying to quantify
right now."
Preliminary results from Templer's experimental plot in a New Hampshire
forest suggest that if scaled up for the entire New England region, the
amount of carbon stored by fungi in forest soil would be reduced by 20
percent, further accelerating the climate change feedback loop and
increasing the possibility of runaway global warming.
Again, mushroom expert Price: "We live on a very delicately balanced
planet. We're really fragile, we're much more fragile than we think we are."
If Earth has a future, the lowly fungi -- unseen, underfoot and still
not well understood -- will play a crucial role in maintaining that
delicate balance.
http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/09/18/mushrooms-fungi-climate

[Whats' in your wallet?]
*Global carbon prices too low to combat climate change: OECD
<https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-oecd-carbon/global-carbon-prices-too-low-to-combat-climate-change-oecd-idUKKCN1LY19A>*
LONDON (Reuters) - Carbon prices in major advanced economies are too low
to cut greenhouse gas emissions and stave off the worst effects of
climate change, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and
Development (OECD) said on Tuesday.
Carbon pricing, via taxes or emissions trading schemes, is used by many
governments to make energy consumers pay for the costs of pollution, and
to spur investment in low-carbon technology.
The OECD examined carbon pricing between 2012, 2015 and 2018 in 42 OECD
and G20 economies, which represent around 80 percent of global carbon
emissions.
It found the average pricing level across the countries in 2018 was 76.5
percent lower than the benchmark 30 euros ($35) a tonne it said is needed.
The pricing gap had narrowed, from 79.5 percent in 2015, but "carbon
prices need to increase considerably more quickly than they have done in
recent years in order to ensure a cost-effective low-carbon transition",
the report said.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-oecd-carbon/global-carbon-prices-too-low-to-combat-climate-change-oecd-idUKKCN1LY19A

[Opinion by Jesse Jackson]
*By Enforcing Climate Change Denial, Trump Puts Us All in Peril
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/09/20/by-enforcing-climate-change-denial-trump-puts-us-all-in-peril/>*
by JESSE JACKSON
North Carolina has been hit with a storm of biblical ferocity.
Florence has left at least 17 dead there, 500,000 without power, with
flash flooding across the state from the coast to the western mountains.
Landslides and infectious diseases are predicted to follow. North
Carolina is not alone, of course.

We've witnessed the devastation wrought by Katrina in New Orleans,
Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey, Hurricane Harvey in Houston and Hurricane
Maria in Puerto Rico. Maria is now estimated to have taken 2,975 lives,
nearly as many as died on Sept. 11, 2001.

As economics historian J. Bradford DeLong summarizes, the four storms --
all in the past 15 years -- are among the most damaging in U.S. history.
No one storm can be attributed to any one cause. But repeated storms of
greater force are the "predictable result" of catastrophic climate
change, and they are a mild augury of what is likely to follow.

President Donald Trump has enforced climate denial in Washington. He has
systematically sought to repeal even the inadequate steps the U.S. had
taken to begin to address the problem. Last year he announced the U.S.
was withdrawing from the Paris climate accord.

He's geared up to repeal President Barack Obama's executive orders on
energy, climate and gas mileage. He's opening up more public lands to
mining and drilling and weakening environmental restrictions on coal,
oil and natural gas, including most alarmingly, restrictions on the
release of methane gas from natural gas pipes.

Web pages with climate change information have been removed or buried at
the EPA and the Interior and Energy departments. The rest of the world
vows to continue to deal with climate change, but with the wealthiest
nation in the world scorning the effort, it is certain to be more
inadequate than it already is.

Catastrophic climate change is a clear and present threat to our
national security. The Pentagon realizes this. It is developing
contingency plans for bases around the globe that will be threatened by
rising waters and raging storms. Its intelligence agencies warn that
climate change will be more destabilizing than terrorism across the
developing world.

DeLong offers one snapshot of the threat. Two billion poor farmers toil
in the six great river valleys of Asia. Their existence is dependent on
the snow melt from the region's high plateaus arriving at the right
moment and in the right volume to support the crops on which the
billions rely. Another billion depend on the monsoon arriving at the
right time each year.

Now as the planet heats up, the sea levels rise, the polar ice caps
melt, so too the snow melt will change dramatically, as will the
monsoons and cyclones. The disruption will wreak havoc on billions,
forcing dramatic migrations to who knows where. The same is predicted as
Africa gets hotter and drier, and desertification continues to uproot
long settled peoples.

The effects are already here, visible in the scorching heat experienced
across the country, the fires in the West, the drought in the South and
the storms in the East. We are seeing climate change with our own eyes.
Yes, no one storm or heat wave can be directly attributed to global
warming. But global warming guarantees that catastrophic weather events
will get more frequent and more ferocious.

Some suggest it is too late. The carbon already in the atmosphere will
take us beyond the warming levels that the international community
suggested were manageable. We are headed into the unmanageable.

But denial is no answer. Continuing to do more of the same is simple
madness. It is not too late to make the wholesale cuts need in
greenhouse gas emissions. Professor Michael Mann of Penn State
University notes: "It is not going off a cliff; it is like walking out
into a minefield. So the argument that it is too late to do something
would be like saying: 'I'm just going to keep walking.' That would be
absurd."

Trump's chaos presidency is corrosive and divisive. His impulsive and
uninformed decision-making is terrifying. Now on what surely is becoming
the greatest threat to our security -- indeed human existence, if not
addressed -- he and the Republican Congress that aids and abets him, are
adding fuel to the fire.

Without vision, the Bible says, the people perish. Trump's blind denial
of the reality around us seems intent on demonstrating how true that is.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/09/20/by-enforcing-climate-change-denial-trump-puts-us-all-in-peril/

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IIyh3yTsM>*This Day in Climate History
- September 21, 1980 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IIyh3yTsM> - from
D.R. Tucker*
September 21, 1980: In a presidential debate between Republican Ronald
Reagan and Independent John Anderson (President Carter did not
participate), the latter endorses a "emergency excise tax on gasoline,"
which the former vehemently opposes. Reagan and Anderson also debate the
merits of energy conservation, with Anderson backing strong
energy-conservation measures.
(10:00--20:25)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IIyh3yTsM

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that