[TheClimate.Vote] April 1, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Apr 1 11:02:20 EDT 2019

/April 1, 2019/

[More AOC videos from MSNBC interview]
*AOC on The Green New Deal: An extended conversation with MSNBC's Chris
Hayes*
All In Extra: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has an extended conversation with
MSNBC's Chris Hayes and audience members as part of "The Green New Deal"
special. Included are Sarah Nelson, Intl. President of the Association
of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO; Varshini Prakash of the Sunrise
Movement; Waleed Shahid of the Justice Democrats; and Mark Paul an
economist with the Roosevelt Institute.
https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/aoc-on-the-green-new-deal-an-extended-conversation-with-msnbc-s-chris-hayes-1468154947968

[Fool's Day anthem song for global warming]
*I Didn't Fuck It Up - Katie Goodman of Broad Comedy*
Katy Goodman makes a new ear worm: "There's never been a time..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn3O6aaMNc

[CrazyTown podcast conversation]
*One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts (Episode 3)*
What would we do without energy? The short answer is, "Nothing,
absolutely nothing." And sadly, most people know next to nothing about
energy and its fundamental role in society and life itself. If you've
ever tried to push a car a small distance down a street, then maybe you
have some understanding. But do you know how many hours of human labor
are contained in a barrel of oil? Or how much it would cost for people
to do the work of a fossil-fueled machine? Or how hard a world champion
cyclist has to pedal a bike to toast a single slice of Wonder Bread? In
this episode of Crazy Town, Asher, Rob, and Jason look for answers as
they tour the insane asylum where our energy habits reside.
https://www.postcarbon.org/crazytown/
https://www.postcarbon.org/crazytown/show-notes/

[psychological distress]
BBC Radio 1 & 1Xtra Stories
*Me & My Eco Anxiety*
In this podcast, we're talking about eco anxiety. We often hear stories
about how humans are damaging the planet and - for some people - it can
become overwhelming and impact on their mental health.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0743nt9
- -
*'Eco-anxiety': how to spot it and what to do about it*
Feeling overwhelmed by the existential challenge of climate change?
You're not alone
Dave Fawbert - 27 March 2019
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/b2e7ee32-ad28-4ec4-89aa-a8b8c98f95a5

[A great global warming movie]
*'Woman at War' Film Review: Goofy Icelandic Ecoterrorism Thriller Is a
Beautiful Hoot*
Toronto Film Festival 2018: Director Benedikt Erlingsson has a fabulous
eye and a taste for deadpan absurdity
Steve Pond
 From the start, "Woman at War" lets you know that you're in for a ride
that will be as arresting visually as it is offbeat conceptually.

The Icelandic film, which premiered on Friday at the Toronto
International Film Festival, opens with gorgeous shots of the rugged
Icelandic countryside, where a woman short-circuits a string of power
lines with only a bow and arrow.
- - -
The middle-aged ecoterrorist then flees across the gentle hills, as
music from a small combo plays in the background -- literally in the
background, because when she stops to catch her breath, we see the three
musicians who are playing the score standing on the heath behind her.

That's a wry touch that continues through the film: When Halla, played
by Halldora Geirharosdottir, gets some news on the phone that makes her
emotional, a gentle piano melody begins playing on the soundtrack -- and
it's only a matter of time before she walks in the living room and we
see the piano player tinkling the ivories in the corner.

By the end of the movie, Halla is being cued to upcoming events by the
presence of her musicians: When she's in a security line at the airport
and there's a drummer in the car outside pounding an insistent beat,
she's seen enough suspense movies to know she might be in trouble.

Director Benedikt Erlingsson could be commenting on how film scores can
be their own kind of spoilers or acknowledging that we all need a band
to serenade our lives -- or perhaps this filmmaker has both a great eye
and a great fondness for silliness.

Erlingsson's last film, "Of Horses and Men," was a twisted but
delightful gem, an episodic comedy of human and equine manners that
represented Iceland in the Oscar foreign-language race in 2013. (It
didn't even get shortlisted, for which I blame the Academy far more than
the director.)

"Woman at War" is more straightforward in that it tells one story, not
six interlocking ones. But straightforward is a relative term when
you're dealing with a director who has Erlingsson's fondness for deadpan
absurdity.

Halla is a mild-mannered ecoterrorist who roams the heath striking back
at the industrialization that threatens her country, then hiding from
the drones, infrared cameras and helicopters full of cops that try to
track her down. And by the way, she's a choirmaster who is trying to
adopt a 4-year-old Ukrainian girl. And she has a twin sister. And a new
friend who lives in the country with a loud dog and a bunch of sheep.
https://www.thewrap.com/woman-at-war-film-review-icelandic/
- - -
[movie review]
*WOMAN AT WAR*
Tomris Laffly - March 1, 2019
A thoughtful and dynamic blend of genres, Benedikt Erlingsson's
contemporary environmental fable "Woman At War" continually thrills with
a side of laughs. In its most endearing moments, Erlingsson's
idiosyncratic sophomore feature is as rebellious and confident as the
main heroine it follows through vast and damp Icelandic landscapes. She
is Halla (the defiant Halldora Geirharosdottir, excelling in a
physically demanding role), a beloved, single choir director in her
early fifties, living a secret double-life as a green activist when no
one is looking. Cutting power lines to sabotage a local aluminum plant
in her spare time, Halla mostly operates alone in her heroic yet
elaborate quests. In the film's breathtaking opening sequence, shot and
edited in the heart-pounding tradition of cat-and-mouse thrillers (by
Bergsteinn Bjorgulfsson and David Alexander Corno, respectively), she
runs from helicopters and drones, hides in natural cracks of the earth
and finds refuge in the home of a local greenhouse farmer (Jon
Johannsson), who lends her a runaway vehicle and becomes her unofficial
accomplice.

Having no interest in making a straightforward genre film, Erlingsson
doesn't stop at creating anxiety-inducing tension and braids in an
eccentric musical detail to his unique package. A fourth-wall-breaking
live band (that includes composer Davio por Jonsson, musicians Magnus
Trygvason Eliasen and Omar Guojonsson on keys, drums and sousaphone) and
later on, a Ukrainian a cappella trio, accompany Halla in almost every
scene to both comedic and unsettling effect. Slowly, we get to know this
well-intentioned and modestly equipped crusader more intimately. Living
in a handsomely appointed home where pictures of Nelson Mandela and
Gandhi decorate her workspace, Halla rides her bike to work, wears a
congenial smile and leads a responsible life ... that is of course when
she isn't climbing up rooftops and dropping exposé leaflets to help turn
civic opinion against the government's evil ecological plans. Given the
nickname "Mountain Woman" by the media, Halla slowly finds herself at
life-threatening odds with the authorities and their intensifying
efforts to hunt her down. And this couldn't be happening at a more
inconvenient time for her--all of a sudden, her long-awaited child
adoption plans start looking like a real possibility, after the adoption
agency finds her an orphaned little girl in the Ukraine.

More accessible than (but just as wildly unique and pastoral as)
Erlingsson's debut feature "Of Horses and Men," "Woman at War" strikes a
near perfect balance between delivering a character study, an urgent
environmental and societal message and some good old-fashioned
entertainment through a genuine and warm tale of one woman's stubborn
efforts to be on the right side of history. While co-writers Olafur
Egilsson and Benedikt Erlingsson unmistakably align their sympathies
with Halla, they are also critical of her privileged attitude that
threatens both her future adoptive daughter's prospects and the freedom
of a random Spanish tourist (Juan Camillo Roman Estrada), who quickly
becomes a prime terrorism suspect in the eyes of the police. The scribe
duo deliciously twists the affairs at every turn, especially when
Halla's New Age-y twin sister Asa (also played by Geirharosdottir, again
with perfection) and choir singer/governmental worker Baldvin (Jorundur
Ragnarsson) enter the picture as dubious partners in crime.

Cinematically and philosophically rewarding from start to finish, "Woman
At War" thrives on the shoulders of Geirharosdottir, who brings to life
two distinct characters that unite through sisterly bonds. Aspirational,
feel-good but never shallow, Erlingsson's film melds together smarts and
wry humor just as neatly as it does various musical genres. The
delightful combination of these elements inform and deepen Halla's
journey as a single woman, friendly neighbor and concerned citizen
looking for a place in a deteriorating world she desperately tries to
better. Erlingsson finds a lot of joy in her rousing, perilous
disobedience. And frankly, his enthusiasm for Halla proves to be infectious.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/woman-at-war-2019

[Promising not to fly]
*No-fly Climate- sci*
We are Earth scientists, academics, and members of the public who either
don't fly or who fly less.

We feel that global warming poses a clear, present, and dire danger for
humanity. In an era of obvious climate change, we believe that it's
important to align our daily life choices with that reality. Actions
speak louder than words.

We try to fly as little as possible while pushing for systemic change,
especially through our home institutions. These are our stories - why we
fly less, and what that means in a society that still rewards frequent
flying.

Why the focus on academics? Academics are expected to attend
conferences, workshops, and meetings. Many academics, including Earth
scientists, have large climate footprints dominated by flying.
Meanwhile, colleges and universities ostensibly exist to make a better
future, especially for young people. We want our institutions to live up
to that promise.

We're experimenting with having successful and satisfying lives and
careers without all the flying. We hope that our openness about flying
less helps to change flying culture, gradually reducing the professional
handicap for those of us who choose to align our personal actions with
our knowledge of global warming. We urge academic institutions to
realize their responsibility to be role models in an age of obvious
global warming, and therefore to adopt policies and strategies for
flying less. We believe that shaming individuals is counterproductive.

We also hope to increase awareness of the climate impact of frequent
flying outside of the scientific community. Flying currently accounts
for less than 10% of the global climate impact, but it often dominates
the emission profiles of the globally privileged few who can afford it.

Each member speaks strictly on his or her own behalf. Joining this site
isn't necessarily a promise not to fly.

The site was founded by and is maintained by an Earth scientist (Dr.
Peter Kalmus), with no outside funding or partisan agenda. You may
contact Peter directly by sending him a message via the "Join" page.
https://noflyclimatesci.org/

[No foolin'?]
*Leaders told to bring plans, not speeches to UN climate summit*
Published on 25/03/2019, 4:14pm
A landmark conference hosted by Antonio Guterres in September aims to
jolt flagging international action on climate change, in line with the
latest science
By Karl Mathiesen
The UN secretary general is calling on world leaders to bring plans, not
speeches to a climate summit he is hosting in September.

Representatives of Antonio Guterres wrote to heads of government last
week, urging them to "demonstrate a leap in collective national
political ambition and massive low-emission movements in the real economy".

Climate Home News understands organisers do not intend to give
politicians the UN podium for speeches, in a departure from the typical
format of such events.

"This summit will be action-oriented," the note, which was shared with
CHN, said. "The deliverables and initiatives that will be showcased need
to be implementable, scalable and replicable and have the potential to
get us in line with the commitments of the Paris Agreement."

"I am calling on all leaders to come to New York in September with
concrete, realistic plans to enhance their nationally determined
contributions by 2020," the UN chief wrote in an article for the
Guardian this month.

Countries are due to update their current pledges to the Paris
Agreement, known as nationally determined contributions (NDCs), by the
end of next year.

At the summit, governments have been asked to either bring those plans
forward early, or at a minimum show that they will be ready for 2020.
They must explain how those plans, which mostly focus on the road to
2030, fit not only with Paris but also the latest science.

That means cutting global greenhouse gas emissions 45% by 2030 and
heading for net-zero emissions by 2050, the letter said, citing last
year's blockbuster report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC).

The summit seeks to close a huge gap between the goals of the Paris
Agreement - to limit warming to 1.5C or below 2C - and the pledges
countries have so far made to meet them. Current national commitments
are projected to collectively limit warming to 3C. This would lead to
global economic, environmental and social damage, according to climate
scientists. Worse, most nations are off the pace to meet even these
inadequate targets.

The note is the clearest indication yet of the hardline approach
Guterres will take, after a speech last year indicating he would throw
himself and "the entire United Nations" into the fight against climate
change.

On a practical level, countries will be encouraged to form coalitions
focused on specific aspects of the climate puzzle. For example, they may
collaborate on the best ways to use carbon pricing, green heavy industry
or develop "nature-based solutions" like forest growth.

With an eye to the growing global school strike movement, there is to be
a special track for mobilisation and youth, overseen by the Marshall
Islands and Ireland.

Pairs or trios of countries have been invited to oversee the different
tracks and they will be supported by specific UN agencies. Laid out in
detail in the note are criteria that will be used to assess proposals
from countries at a preparatory meeting in Abu Dhabi in late June. If
they do not pass muster, the plans will not be presented at the summit.

CHN understands the UN organisers view governments of G20 countries,
which emit roughly three quarters of global greenhouse gases, as the
major targets for the summit.

So far, only the Marshall Islands has submitted an updated NDC. "If we
can do it so can everyone else and so they should by UN secretary
general's summit," a foreign affairs adviser to the tiny Pacific country
told CHN.

Global issues need global coverage

CHN is dedicated to bringing you the best climate reporting from around
the world. It's a huge job and we need your help.

Developing countries will not be "inspired" by the summit's limited
focus on climate finance, said Tosi Mpanu-Mpanu, an ambassador and lead
climate negotiator for the Democratic Republic of Congo. Many poorer
countries have made meeting their current national pledges contingent on
the delivery of a promise of $100bn per year from the richest countries
in the world.

Despite a track on the $100bn target, the goals of the summit don't
represent "money in the bank", Mpanu-Mpanu said. "If I don't see the
money, how do you want me to scale up my NDC?"

UN diplomats, led by Guterres' special envoy Luis Alfonso de Alba, are
already criss-crossing the globe to drum up support for the summit. The
secretary general himself is set to raise the subject in his regular
phone calls with world leaders.

De Alba's deputy Anne-Sophie Cerisola was in Beijing on Monday. China,
the world's largest polluter, is also in a strong position to update its
NDC, an influential government think tank said last year.

In the EU last week, a leaders' discussion of net-zero emissions was
reportedly forced off the table by Germany. Neither the European
Commission nor German environment ministry responded to questions
regarding how this will affect the bloc's alignment with the summit's
objective.

The document is notable for its use of the IPCC's 2018 report on the
impacts of 1.5C warming as its benchmark, not the Paris Agreement, which
hedges its targets between 1.5C and 2C. The shift is a clear signal that
the UN secretary general views the upper limit 2C agreed in Paris in
2015 as unacceptably risky.

The summit will take place on 23 September at the UN headquarters in New
York.
https://www.climatechangenews.com/2019/03/25/leaders-told-to-bring-plans-not-speeches-to-un-climate-summit/

[ick, ick, pass the relish]
NEWS ARCHAEOLOGY - 29 MARCH 2019
*Warm weather pushed Neanderthals into cannibalism*
Butchered corpses coincide with rapid climate change, researchers
discover. Dyani Lewis reports.
A rapid period of warming more than 120,000 years ago drove Neanderthals
in the south of France to eat six of their own, new research suggests.

The study, by French researchers Alban Defleur and Emmanuel Desclaux and
published in the Journal of Archaeological Science paints a bleak
picture of life for Neanderthals living during the last interglacial period.

In the 1990s, the remains of six Neanderthals - two adults, two
adolescents and two children - were found in a small cave at Baume
Moula-Guercy in the Rhone valley in southern France.

The bones bear many of the hallmarks of cannibalism: cut marks made by
stone tools, complete dismemberment of the individuals, and finger bones
that look as if they've been gnawed by Neanderthal teeth, rather than by
other carnivores.

Remains from other sites in Croatia, Spain and Belgium also show
evidence of cannibalism. But in each case, there has been a lack of
evidence to answer the question of why the Neanderthals engaged in the
practice. Was it for nourishment or cultural ritual?

"Cannibalism is always a contentious thing, because we find it quite
revolting," says archaeologist Michelle Langley from Griffith University
in Australia, who was not involved in the study.

The site at Baume Moula-Guercy seems to offer some clues.

The Neanderthal remains lie within a 40-centimetre-thick layer of the
cave floor that corresponds to the last interglacial period. During this
time - which lasted from 128,000 to 114,000 years ago - temperatures
were one or two degrees Celsius higher than they are today, and several
degrees higher than the periods preceding and following it.

Sifting through animal remains encased in layers of the cave floor,
Defleur and Desclaux have reconstructed details of the animals that
inhabited the region before, during and after the last interglacial period.
What they found was evidence of a rapid change in climate that
drastically altered the environment of the Rhone Valley.

Before and after the warming, remains from reindeer and woolly mammoths
are found, accompanied by smaller mice and lemmings. During the warmer
period when the Neanderthals lived, the area was devoid of large
mammals, instead inhabited by rodents and tortoises and snakes that
migrated up from the Mediterranean.

"The change of climate from the glacial period to the last interglacial
was very abrupt," says Desclaux.

"We're not [talking] in terms of geological scale, but more a human
scale," he says. "Maybe within a few generations, the landscape totally
changed."

Open grasslands gave way to temperate forests and the Neanderthals,
accustomed to hunting large prey such as bison and mammoth, apparently
struggled with this rapid change.

Analysis of tooth enamel from the Baume Moula-Guercy remains revealed
stress lines typical of periods of stress, such as illness or malnutrition.

It's likely, says Desclaux, that the individuals were consumed during a
short period of time, prompted by a desperation to survive on the part
of their devourers.

Neanderthals wouldn't have made good food as part of a regular diet,
because they aren't as rich in calories as other animals, such as deer.
There also were only a few hundred of the hominins inhabiting western
Europe at the time, so hunting them would have been out of the question.

"For the first time, they have proper evidence that shows they were in
desperate times, and they were doing what they need to do to survive,"
says Langley. "They weren't doing anything different to what modern
humans would do in the same situation"

Episodes of modern-day cannibalism during World War II or following the
crash of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 in 1972 are well documented.

Nonetheless, this new evidence of what likely occurred in the Rhone
Valley doesn't rule out cannibalism for cultural or ritualistic purposes
by other Neanderthals, says Desclaux.

"There have been cases of cultural cannibalism, but in this particular
case that does not seem to be the case," he says.
https://cosmosmagazine.com/archaeology/warm-weather-pushed-neanderthals-into-cannibalism

[get ready, says NOAA]
*Spring Outlook: Historic, widespread flooding to continue through May*
Above-average spring rain and snow will worsen flood conditions

Nearly two-thirds of the Lower 48 states face an elevated risk for
flooding through May, with the potential for major or moderate flooding
in 25 states, according to NOAA's U.S. Spring Outlook issued today. The
majority of the country is favored to experience above-average
precipitation this spring, increasing the flood risk.

Portions of the United States - especially in the upper Mississippi and
Missouri River basins including Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa – have
already experienced record flooding this year. This early flooding was
caused by rapid snow melt combined with heavy spring rain and late
season snowfall in areas where soil moisture is high. In some areas, ice
jams are exacerbating the flooding. Offices across the National Weather
Service have been working with local communities, providing
decision-support services and special briefings to emergency managers
and other leaders in local, state and federal government to ensure the
highest level of readiness before the flooding began.

Additional spring rain and melting snow will prolong and expand
flooding, especially in the central and southern U.S. As this excess
water flows downstream through the river basins, the flood threat will
become worse and geographically more widespread.

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/spring-outlook-historic-widespread-flooding-to-continue-through-may

*This Day in Climate History - April 1, - from D.R. Tucker*