[TheClimate.Vote] August 8, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Aug 8 11:14:26 EDT 2019

/August 8, 2019/

[Wall Street Journal]
*Medical Schools Are Pushed to Train Doctors for Climate Change*
Movement backed by American Medical Association starts to grow, though
content can be hard to fit into an already-packed curriculum
By Brianna Abbott
Aug. 7, 2019 5:30 am ET
More doctors, health organizations and students are pushing for medical
education to include climate change, saying that physicians and other
health-care workers need to prepare for the risks associated with rising
global temperatures.

The movement, recently backed by the American Medical Association, is
showing emerging signs of impact. At the University of Minnesota,
medical, nursing and pharmacy schools, among others, have added content
or tweaked existing classes to incorporate climate-related topics. The
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign added a
diagnosis exercise about worsening asthma due to increased wildfires
from climate change. The Mayo Clinic is starting discussions this month
on how to integrate the topic into its medical school's curriculum.

Schools picking up the content are still in the minority. It can be hard
to fit into an already-packed curriculum, and faculty at many schools
still lack expertise in the topic, say some educators. But advocates of
climate-change education say health-care providers must be trained to
prevent, detect and treat conditions that may rise or emerge in new
places as the climate changes.
"This is really the greatest health danger of our century," said Mona
Sarfaty, the director of the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and
Health, a coalition of medical associations that represents roughly
600,000 doctors. "We must respond and make sure our health professionals
are sufficiently educated."...
- - -
The Yale School of Medicine offers a continuing medical education
certificate in climate change and health, and the University of Colorado
Department of Emergency Medicine now offers a fellowship for physicians
on climate change and health policy.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/medical-schools-are-pushed-to-train-doctors-for-climate-change-11565170205

[shocking, not surprising]
*Homelessness is already a crisis--but climate change makes it much worse*
It's time to stop treating the housing crisis and the climate crisis as
two separate issues--and start designing solutions for both at once.
When the Camp Fire devastated the California town of Paradise last fall,
around 50,000 people were forced from their community. Very few--just
around 10%--have been able to return to the town, where 15,000 homes
were destroyed. Many of the rest are still struggling to find housing, a
steep task in California where the costs of renting or owning a home are
among the highest in the country.
- - -
The Center for American Progress, a progressive research and advocacy
organization, calls extreme weather an "affordable housing crisis
multiplier."
- - -
Beyond stabilizing housing and infrastructure, the CAP researchers say
that government agencies like FEMA and HUD need to work better to align
their evacuation and post-disaster assistance programming with more
vulnerable people. According to CAP research, FEMA disproportionately
directs disaster response funding to wealthier, white homeowners.
Several states--most prominently Louisiana following Hurricane
Katrina--have been sued over this disparity in aid distribution, which
the CAP researchers say needs to be addressed.

The point of the report, Ortiz says, is to "bridge the two worlds of the
climate crisis and housing crisis" so officials working on each can
begin to see how their work overlaps, and why they must collaborate on
solutions. Policymakers, Schultheis adds, need to understand where
issues like homelessness and housing unaffordability are concentrated,
and ensure that those people and communities are supported both before a
disaster like a hurricane or wildfire could strike, and in the
aftermath. Many of the strategies that CAP calls for lean on the fiscal
and ideological cooperation of Congress and federal agencies, which have
been slow to advance progressive solutions on inequity and climate
change, but the model of linking extreme weather impacts with the
housing and homelessness crisis is one that state and local governments
can begin to adopt immediately.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90386051/homelessness-is-already-a-crisis-but-climate-change-makes-it-much-worse

[more bumpy flying]
*Turbulence is getting worse because of climate change, study proves as
it finds serious injuries have doubled since the 1980s*
Air turbulence is getting worse on flights because of climate change,
with the jetstream becoming choppier since the end of 1970s, scientists
have found.

The University of Reading has discovered that the jetstream has become
15 per cent more affected by wind shear in the upper atmosphere over the
North Atlantic since satellites began observing it in 1979.

Over the same period the number of passengers and crew getting seriously
injured from turbulence globally has doubled from one in a million to
two in a million - meaning around 8,000 people a year are now
impacted...[more]
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/08/07/turbulence-flights-getting-worse-global-warming-makes-jet-stream/
- - -
[Increased injuries]
*Increased shear in the North Atlantic upper-level jet stream over the
past four decades*
Abstract

    Earth's equator-to-pole temperature gradient drives westerly
    mid-latitude jet streams through thermal wind balance1. In the upper
    atmosphere, anthropogenic climate change is strengthening this
    meridional temperature gradient by cooling the polar lower
    stratosphere2,3 and warming the tropical upper troposphere4,5,6,
    acting to strengthen the upper-level jet stream7. In contrast, in
    the lower atmosphere, Arctic amplification of global warming is
    weakening the meridional temperature gradient8,9,10, acting to
    weaken the upper-level jet stream. Therefore, trends in the speed of
    the upper-level jet stream11,12,13 represent a closely balanced
    tug-of-war between two competing effects at different altitudes14.
    It is possible to isolate one of the competing effects by analysing
    the vertical shear--the change in wind speed with height--instead of
    the wind speed, but this approach has not previously been taken.
    Here we show that, although the zonal wind speed in the North
    Atlantic polar jet stream at 250 hectopascals has not changed since
    the start of the observational satellite era in 1979, the vertical
    shear has increased by 15 per cent (with a range of 11-17 per cent)
    according to three different reanalysis datasets15,16,17. We further
    show that this trend is attributable to the thermal wind response to
    the enhanced upper-level meridional temperature gradient. Our
    results indicate that climate change may be having a larger impact
    on the North Atlantic jet stream than previously thought. The
    increased vertical shear is consistent with the intensification of
    shear-driven clear-air turbulence expected from climate
    change18,19,20, which will affect aviation in the busy transatlantic
    flight corridor by creating a more turbulent flying environment for
    aircraft. We conclude that the effects of climate change and
    variability on the upper-level jet stream are being partly obscured
    by the traditional focus on wind speed rather than wind shear.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1465-z

[Paul Beckwith video talk]
*Greenland Vulnerability to BOE and Accelerating Global Sea-Level Rise*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Aug 7, 2019
Five years ago I posted the video: "Can global sea level rise 7 meters
by 2070?"; based on the ongoing 7 to 10 year doubling rates of ice melt
from Greenland and Antarctica this magnitude of sea level rise is indeed
very possible. Now, 5 years later, Greenland lost a record 12.5 billion
tons of ice in one day (last Thursday), and a record 217 billion tons in
July alone. With a dreaded Arctic Blue-Ocean Event (BOE) likely by 2022
or sooner, there will be complete September sea-ice loss and very large
warming spikes, further exposing Greenland to accelerated, crippling ice
loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexQmFFtoTw
- -

[Rising seas explained in this interview]
*High Tide on Main St: Rising Sea Level--John Englander & climate
change--Radio Ecoshock 2019-06-26*
Stop Fossil Fuels
Published on Aug 7, 2019
Several scientists on Radio Ecoshock warned us that heat and extreme
weather are serious but rising seas will be the force threatening
society. Maps will change. Populations will be forced away from the
current sea shore, including in major cities around the world.

I understood that more deeply watching a recent video presentation by
John Englander. His audience was the legendary Royal Institution in
London, the temple of science founded in 1799. Englander is an
oceanographer who led big name ocean conservation groups like the
Cousteau Society, and International Seakeepers. He schooled us all with
his book "High Tide On Main Street: Rising Sea Level and the Coming
Coastal Crisis".

Show by Alex Smith of Radio Ecoshock, reposted under CC License. Episode
details at https://www.ecoshock.org/2019/06/clim...
- - -
SHOW DETAILS
John has been touring, telling thousands of people about coastlines
going underwater.

During the last century thermal expansion provided about half sea level
rise. But in the coming 100 years, thermal expansion will be relatively
minor compared to polar ice melt. John tells us there is 10' or 3 meters
of sea level rise in just 6 glaciers in Antarctica.

Technically, there will eventually be 20 meters higher seas per degree C
of warming (perhaps a thousand years later). That is about 35' per
degree Fahrenheit of warming. In recent interviews, scientists and
authors say we may warm another 2C average mean temperature by the year
2100. Following science that expects 20 meters higher seas for each
increase of 1 degree, that would be 40 meters or 131' higher seas from
that much warming--not this century, but eventually. The seas will
continue to rise even after humans stop producing greenhouse gases (if
we do).

He says we are in "the early stage of exponential growth" of sea level
rise. It is now rising 5 millimeters a year. We went from 1.5 mm annual
sea level rise to 3 mm and now 5 mm--that is doubling! He notes Albert
Allen Bartlett on our inability to understand exponential growth.

These days there is an institute for practically everything. But
apparently none is dedicated to the single largest threat we face from
climate change: rising seas. So John just founded the International Sea
Level Institute. We talk about what it needs to do.

Also: John tells us that sea level rise may be the least politically
charged impact of climate change. People who don't seem to care about
heat or replacing fossil fuels pay attention to rising seas. Global
average sea level has increased 8 inches since 1880. But remember some
land is still uplifting, while other places are sinking--for example in
Alaska and northern Scandinavia it looks like sea level is falling.

We are heading back to the Eemian levels, 120,000 years ago, with sea
levels 65 meters higher. "We should be redesigning our coastal
development" says Englander. After a huge storm on February 1st, 1953,
the Thames and Rotterdam sea barriers were designed. In the 1970's when
those gates were built, they pictured only 30 mm of sea level. Currently
both cities are planning new flood gates. In cities like Hamburg
Germany, some new buildings have their electrical systems and furnaces
on the second floor, rather than below ground, to survive storm
flooding. In Asia, Singapore is one of the more advanced in planning for
sea level rise, being a low island nation.

San Francisco is not sinking or rising. It shows what is really
happening. Old piers are going under along with waterfront. Streets in
Florida has "No Wake" signs for when King Tides flood the street. Those
signs come down when they want to sell the property.

John says rising sea level could be the biggest economic driver of this
century. That presumes we will rebuild or adapt rather than just lose
ground, run away, and crash as an economy. If we don't fail, the threat
and experience of sea level rise could lead to a new building boom as
cities retreat from the sea and build sea wall defenses. Ports will need
to be rebuilt. Many of the world's leading airports may need to be
replaced. Business leaders sit up and listen to that approach to sea
level rise--but what would be the new carbon costs of those giant
building projects?

John is working on a sequel, "Moving to Higher Ground" coming in 2020.

John's "Sea Level Rise Can No Longer Be Stopped, What Next?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvqY2N...

For popular audiences to "get it" John recommends the movie "Ice Age
Part 2", which he's seen 40 or 50 times. Englander says it is pretty
scientific. Sea level rose about 400' in that film. "The truth of the
matter now is that sea level rise is unstoppable." It has happened
before. If we knew that 5,000 years ago, we would have build our cities
differently, he says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIa3ocsTDs
- - -
[see the Hollywood movie mentioned above ]
*Cartoon: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown*
"With global warming threatening their once-icy domain with widespread
flooding, Manny (Ray Romano), Sid (John Leguizamo) and Diego (Denis
Leary) set out to find a safe haven. Along the way, another mammoth
(Queen Latifah), who thinks she is an opossum, joins the travelers on
their perilous quest.
Release date: March 31, 2006 (USA)"
Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJqyRiGhBQ

[bad methane leaks in most homes]
*An Estimate of Natural Gas Methane Emissions from California Homes*
Marc L. Fischer,
Abstract
We estimate postmeter methane (CH4) emissions from California's
residential natural gas (NG) system using measurements and analysis from
a sample of homes and appliances. Quiescent whole-house emissions (i.e.,
pipe leaks and pilot lights) were measured using a mass balance method
in 75 California homes, while CH4 to CO2 emission ratios were measured
for steady operation of individual combustion appliances and,
separately, for transient operation of three tankless water heaters.
Measured quiescent whole-house emissions are typically <1 g CH4/day,
though they exhibit long-tailed gamma distributions containing values
 >10 g CH4/day. Most operating appliances yield undetectable CH4 to CO2
enhancements in steady operation (<0.01% of gas consumed), though
storage water heaters and stovetops exhibit long-tailed gamma
distributions containing high values (∼1-3% of gas consumed), and
transients are observed for the tankless heaters. Extrapolating results
to the state-level using Bayesian Markov chain Monte Carlo sampling
combined with California housing statistics and gas use information
suggests quiescent house leakage of 23.4 (13.7-45.6, at 95% confidence)
Gg CH4, with pilot lights contributing ∼30%. Emissions from steady
operation of appliances and their pilots are 13.3 (6.6-37.1) Gg CH4/yr,
an order of magnitude larger than current inventory estimates, with
transients likely increasing appliance emissions further. Together,
emissions from residential NG are 35.7 (21.7-64.0) Gg CH4/yr, equivalent
to ∼15% of California's NG CH4 emissions, suggesting leak repair,
improvement of combustion appliances, and adoption of nonfossil energy
heating sources can help California meet its 2050 climate goals.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.8b03217

[duty to warn]
*The Terrible Truth of Climate Change*
The latest science is alarming, even for climate scientists
by Joelle Gergis
In June, I delivered a keynote presentation on Australia's vulnerability
to climate change and our policy challenges at the annual meeting of the
Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, the main conference
for those working in the climate science community. I saw it as an
opportunity to summarise the post-election political and scientific
reality we now face.

As one of the dozen or so Australian lead authors on the United Nations
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) sixth assessment
report, currently underway, I have a deep appreciation of the speed and
severity of climate change unfolding across the planet. Last year I was
also appointed as one of the scientific advisers to the Climate Council,
Australia's leading independent body providing expert advice to the
public on climate science and policy. In short, I am in the confronting
position of being one of the few Australians who sees the terrifying
reality of the climate crisis.

Preparing for this talk I experienced something gut-wrenching. It was
the realisation that there is now nowhere to hide from the terrible truth.

The last time this happened to me, I was visiting my father in hospital
following emergency surgery for a massive brain haemorrhage. As he lay
unconscious in intensive care, I examined his CT scan with one of the
attending surgeons who gently explained that the dark patch covering
nearly a quarter of the image of his brain was a pool of blood. Although
they had done their best to drain the area and stem the bleeding, the
catastrophic nature of the damage was undeniable. The brutality of the
evidence was clear - the full weight of it sent my stomach into freefall.

The results coming out of the climate science community at the moment
are, even for experts, similarly alarming.

One common metric used to investigate the effects of global warming is
known as "equilibrium climate sensitivity", defined as the full amount
of global surface warming that will eventually occur in response to a
doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentrations compared to pre-industrial
times. It's sometimes referred to as the holy grail of climate science
because it helps quantify the specific risks posed to human society as
the planet continues to warm.

We know that CO2 concentrations have risen from pre-industrial levels of
280 parts per million (ppm) to approximately 410 ppm today, the highest
recorded in at least three million years. Without major mitigation
efforts, we are likely to reach 560 ppm by around 2060.

When the IPCC's fifth assessment report was published in 2013, it
estimated that such a doubling of CO2 was likely to produce warming
within the range of 1.5 to 4.5C as the Earth reaches a new equilibrium.
However, preliminary estimates calculated from the latest global climate
models (being used in the current IPCC assessment, due out in 2021) are
far higher than with the previous generation of models. Early reports
are predicting that a doubling of CO2 may in fact produce between 2.8
and 5.8C of warming. Incredibly, at least eight of the latest models
produced by leading research centres in the United States, the United
Kingdom, Canada and France are showing climate sensitivity of 5C or warmer.

When these results were first released at a climate modelling workshop
in March this year, a flurry of panicked emails from my IPCC colleagues
flooded my inbox. What if the models are right? Has the Earth already
crossed some kind of tipping point? Are we experiencing abrupt climate
change right now?

The model runs aren't all available yet, but when many of the most
advanced models in the world are independently reproducing the same
disturbing results, it's hard not to worry.

When the UN's Paris Agreement was adopted in December 2015, it defined a
specific goal: to keep global warming to well below 2C and as close as
possible to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels (defined as the climate
conditions experienced during the 1850-1900 period). While admirable in
intent, the agreement did not impose legally binding limits on signatory
nations and contained no enforcement mechanisms. Instead, each country
committed to publicly disclosed Nationally Determined Contributions
(NDCs) to reduce emissions. In essence, it is up to each nation to act
in the public interest.

Even achieving the most ambitious goal of 1.5C will see the further
destruction of between 70 and 90 per cent of reef-building corals
compared to today, according to the IPCC's "Special Report on Global
Warming of 1.5C", released last October. With 2C of warming, a
staggering 99 per cent of tropical coral reefs disappear. An entire
component of the Earth's biosphere - our planetary life support system -
would be eliminated. The knock-on effects on the 25 per cent of all
marine life that depends on coral reefs would be profound and immeasurable.

So how is the Paris Agreement actually panning out?

In 2017, we reached 1C of warming above global pre-industrial
conditions. According to the UN Environment Programme's "Emissions Gap
Report", released in November 2018, current unconditional NDCs will see
global average temperature rise by 2.9 to 3.4C above pre-industrial
levels by the end of this century.

To restrict warming to 2C above pre-industrial levels, the world needs
to triple its current emission reduction pledges. If that's not bad
enough, to restrict global warming to 1.5C, global ambition needs to
increase fivefold.

Meanwhile, the Australian federal government has a target of reducing
emissions by 26 to 28 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030, which experts
believe is more aligned with global warming of 3 to 4C. Despite Prime
Minister Scott Morrison's claim that we will meet our Paris Agreement
commitments "in a canter", the UNEP report clearly identifies Australia
as one of the G20 nations that will fall short of achieving its already
inadequate NDCs by 2030.

Even with the 1C of warming we've already experienced, 50 per cent of
the Great Barrier Reef is dead. We are witnessing catastrophic ecosystem
collapse of the largest living organism on the planet. As I share this
horrifying information with audiences around the country, I often pause
to allow people to try and really take that information in.

Increasingly after my speaking events, I catch myself unexpectedly
weeping in my hotel room or on flights home. Every now and then, the
reality of what the science is saying manages to thaw the emotionally
frozen part of myself I need to maintain to do my job. In those moments,
what surfaces is pure grief. It's the only feeling that comes close to
the pain I felt processing the severity of my dad's brain injury. Being
willing to acknowledge the arrival of the point of no return is an act
of bravery.

But these days my grief is rapidly being superseded by rage.
Volcanically explosive rage. Because in the very same IPCC report that
outlines the details of the impending apocalypse, the climate science
community clearly stated that limiting warming to 1.5C is geophysically
possible.

Past emissions alone are unlikely to raise global average temperatures
to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels. The IPCC report states that any
further warming beyond the 1C already recorded would likely be less than
0.5C over the next 20 to 30 years, if all anthropogenic greenhouse gas
emissions were reduced to zero immediately. That is, if we act urgently,
it is technically feasible to turn things around. The only thing missing
is strong global policy.

Although the very foundation of human civilisation is at stake, the
world is on track to seriously overshoot our UN targets. Worse still,
global carbon emissions are still rising. In response, scientists are
prioritising research on how the planet has responded during other warm
periods in the Earth's history.

The most comprehensive summary of conditions experienced during past
warm periods in the Earth's recent history was published in June 2018 in
one of our leading journals, Nature Geoscience, by 59 leading experts
from 17 countries. The report concluded that warming of between 1.5 and
2C in the past was enough to see significant shifts in climate zones,
and land and aquatic ecosystems "spatially reorganize".

These changes triggered substantial long-term melting of ice in
Greenland and Antarctica, unleashing 6 to 13 metres of global sea-level
rise lasting thousands of years.

Examining the Earth's climatic past tells us that even between 1.5 and
2C of warming sees the world reconfigure in ways that people don't yet
appreciate. All bets are off between 3 and 4C, where we are currently
headed. Parts of Australia will become uninhabitable, as other areas of
our country become increasingly ravaged by extreme weather events.

This year the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society's
annual conference was held in Darwin, where the infamous Cyclone Tracy
struck on Christmas Day in 1974, virtually demolishing the entire city.
More than 70 per cent of the city's buildings, including 80 per cent of
its houses, were destroyed. Seventy-one people were killed and most of
the 48,000 residents made homeless. Conditions were so dire that around
36,000 people were evacuated, many by military aircraft. It was a
disaster of monumental proportions.

As I collated this information for my presentation, it became clear to
me that Cyclone Tracy is a warning. Without major action, we will see
tropical cyclones drifting into areas on the southern edge of current
cyclone zones, into places such as south-east Queensland and northern
New South Wales, where infrastructure is not ready to cope with cyclonic
conditions.

These areas currently house more than 3.6 million people; we simply
aren't prepared for what is upon us.

There is a very rational reason why Australian schoolkids are now taking
to the streets - the immensity of what is at stake is truly staggering.
Staying silent about this planetary emergency no longer feels like an
option for me either. Given how disconnected policy is from scientific
reality in this country, an urgent and pragmatic national conversation
is now essential. Other-
wise, living on a destabilised planet is the terrible truth that we will
all face.

As a climate scientist at this fraught point in our history, the most
helpful thing I can offer is the same professionalism that the doctor
displayed late that night in Dad's intensive-care ward. A clear-eyed and
compassionate look at the facts.

We still have time to try and avert the scale of the disaster, but we
must respond as we would in an emergency. The question is, can we muster
the best of our humanity in time?
Joelle Gergis is an award-winning climate scientist and writer based at
the Australian National University. She is the author of Sunburnt
Country: The History and Future of Climate Change in Australia.
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/05/terrible-truth-climate-change

[Irish Times newspaper]
*Global warming and Somaliland's 'climate refugees'*
Pastoralist lifestyle of nomads is under threat from repeated drought
and cyclones
Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 03:30
Spending time with its stoical people in remote villages in the northern
part of this region of Somalia, they recount how their pastoralist
existence - as nomads rearing livestock - is under immediate threat.
- -- -
When asked about climate change, villagers have heard of the term but
indicate they do not know too much about the science. They prefer to
cite evidence: decline in livestock, destruction of crops. Then they
invariably highlight hope that the rains will come after all - and
declare, in any event, God will look after them.
- - -
"Climate change is not an issue to be dealt with in the future, an issue
for our children or grandchildren. It's here and it's killing people
now. The communities in Somaliland are among the 45 million people in
countries across the Horn of Africa, east Africa and southern Africa who
will not be able to grow sufficient food for themselves this year as a
result of drought," he adds.
- - -
As we observe the rural landscape, Concern area co-ordinator Lena Voigt
says: "Somaliland is as green as it gets." But, on closer inspection,
many crops are barely a few inches above ground. Nomadic communities
attempting to become more permanent "agro-pastoralists" will be lucky if
they are usable as feed, let alone nourishing their families.

It soon emerges the normal pattern of drought every five to seven years
- with time to recover, to restock and to avail of better harvests - is
disappearing. In a briefing, a government official outlines how
Somaliland's national disaster preparedness and food reserve authority's
strategic plan is being implemented, including the building of seven
large warehouses to store food and plastic water tanks.
- -
Two adults help teach children under that tree. There are no books; no
music, no art. Basic living, it seems, leaves no opportunity for such
indulgences, though, when the rains arrive, they gather to celebrate,
Alale says.

Howa Yusuf points to a mountain one hour's walk away where she lives
with her family including 12 children. She had 80 sheep and goats
reduced to 10 post-cyclone. Cash support of $60 a month is used for food
and to restock. She plans to plant maize and make charcoal, but her big
worry is climate change. Last year at this time it was shaping up for a
normal harvest; this year a fraction of that is emerging.
Chaotic feel

The village has a chaotic feel as herds of goats and sheep wander
through intermittently, sometimes with young children doing the herding.
But drone footage suggests an overall order in the positioning of mud
houses; animal pens made from spiky brambles to keep hyenas out; a
communal gathering point; and areas for the planting of crops. Looking
at the images from above, it is sobering to think we could be witnessing
the demise of this ancient civilization.

The Famine Early Warning Systems Network said in June 2.2 million people
in Somalia could face starvation by the end of the summer, unless there
are urgent efforts to respond. A further 3.2 million people - a fifth of
its population - will be uncertain of their next meal, and that could
soon be 5.4 million. That includes 1 million children, of whom 180,000
are "acutely malnourished".
- - -
"If you ask people, 'What can we do for you?' The answer is always the
same: water, water, water."

Rich countries declaring a climate emergency is all very well, but here
one can see the dynamics of a global climate injustice. More frequent
climate shocks for Somaliland are forecast as populations which have
contributed least to unprecedented levels of human-induced greenhouse
gases emissions suffer most.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/global-warming-and-somaliland-s-climate-refugees-1.3977695

*This Day in Climate History - August 8, 2005 - from D.R. Tucker*
August 8, 2005: President George W. Bush signs the pro-fracking Energy
Policy Act into law. Six days later, Mark Hertsgaard discusses the
legislation on Air America's "EcoTalk with Betsy Rosenberg."
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/USEnergyPolicy7
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2005/08/americas_energy.html