[TheClimate.Vote] August 10, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Aug 10 10:11:44 EDT 2019

/August 10, 2019/

[RealClimate offers discussions from scientists]
*IPCC Special Report on Land*
Thread for discussions of the new special report.
[Climate Change and Land report at https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/ ]
An IPCC special report on climate change, desertification, land
degradation, sustainable land management, food security, and greenhouse
gas fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems
videos:
Land degradation accelerates global climate change. Al Jazeera English
Published on Aug 8, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3HhAmjp-ME
- - -
New UN report highlights vicious cycle of climate change, land
degradation. CNA
Published on Aug 8, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyRlpXLLq8
- - -
New IPCC Report Warns of Vicious Cycle Between Soil Degradation and
Climate Change. The Real News Network
Published on Aug 8, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVaq9otmrDE
- - -
further comments and discussions at
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2019/08/ipcc-special-report-on-land/

[Activism Sept 20th event]
*US Climate Strikes |September 20, 2019*
https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaigns/us-climate-strikes/

[Forbes Magazine removes post within hours - who posted this?]
*Global Warming? An Israeli Astrophysicist Provides Alternative View
That Is Not Easy To Reject*
EDITOR'S NOTE
After review, this post has been removed for failing to meet our
editorial standards.
We are providing our readers the headline, author and first paragraphs
in the interest of transparency.

We regret any inconvenience.
[sample content that lasted only hours]

    "The link between solar activity and the heating and cooling of the
    earth is indirect, he explained. Cosmic rays entering the earth's
    atmosphere from the explosive death of massive stars across the
    universe play a significant role in the formation of so-called cloud
    condensation nuclei needed for the formation of clouds.  When the
    sun is more active, solar wind reduces the rate of cosmic rays
    entering the atmosphere. A more active solar wind leads to fewer
    cloud formation nuclei, producing clouds that are less white and
    less reflective, thus warming the earth." from
    https://www.reddit.com/r/climateskeptics/comments/co6r2c/global_warming_an_israeli_astrophysicist_provides/?ref=readnext

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronlevin/2019/08/09/global-warming-an-israeli-astrophysicist-provides-alternative-view-that-is-not-easy-to-reject/#ac690336945b

[clipped from an interview with a Cli-Fi novelist]
*Naomi Booth on motherhood, anxiety and climate change An interview with
the author of 'Sealed'*
In her thrilling new novel Sealed, British author Naomi Booth imagines a
horrific scenario wherein climate change has resulted in a skin-sealing
epidemic. Once infected, victims of the disease watch helplessly as
their skin grows over their mouths, eyes, and other orifices, becoming
suffocated by their own bodies...

    I've become interested in thinking about pregnancy as a kind of
    dark, deadly state. This isn't in order to scare-monger: maternal
    deaths in the U.K. and the U.S. are rare. It's because I think that
    experiences of pregnancy and birth are, at best, euphemized in
    mainstream culture; and because I think the pro-life movement right
    now seeks to misrepresent the experience of pregnancy, associating
    it falsely and simplistically with a range of tendentiously
    "life-affirming" values. Thinking about "deadly" and "dangerous"
    pregnancies might work against the tropes of generation and futurity
    that have been projected onto pregnant women in many different
    discourses. Pregnancy can be a condition in which one feels that
    birth ultimately brings more death.

    The idea of deadly pregnancy is especially interesting to me in the
    context of environmental contamination and climate crisis. The
    pregnant person has begun to seem to me like an especially acute
    example of what the critic and philosopher Timothy Morton has called
    "dark ecology": concentric forms of life, supporting, nourishing,
    cannibalising and potentially poisoning one another.

    *Amy Brady:* The ways in which Alice's anxiety manifests feels so
    real - her ongoing obsessions and hyper-focus, this constant sense
    of doom that seems to follow her everywhere. Is anxiety an
    inevitable consequence of thinking about climate change?

    *Naomi Booth:* As a fiction writer I'm very aware of the need to
    affect a reader emotionally and viscerally: that's a crucial part of
    whatever quality of thinking it is that fiction produces or makes
    possible. In terms of anxiety, I think we're living through curious
    times. My experience with digital media means that I constantly see
    things about the end of the world: environmental, political and
    social collapse seem imminent. I engage with this intermittently, in
    great fits of anxiety; but I also block it out a lot of the time, so
    that it becomes a kind of ambient, anxious background to my existence.

    I guess other people see a different version of news curated
    according to their beliefs: if you don't believe in climate change,
    for instance, or if you think isolationist politics is a good thing,
    you probably see an entirely different set of news stories in your
    feeds and feel anxious about very different things. Perhaps we're
    getting more atomized in our anxieties. Fear and anxiety can be very
    negative forces - they've partly fueled what I think are the
    disastrous politics of Brexit in the U.K. But perhaps writers and
    filmmakers can find ways to unsettle and frighten us to produce a
    kind of inverse index of value: we feel fear for what is under
    threat, and we might share that experience in moments of collective
    anxiety for vulnerable bodies, the environment, and the non-human
    animals all around us.

    *Amy Brady*: Do you think about ecological problems and climate
    change beyond what you write about in your fiction?

    *Naomi Booth*: Yes, and I'm not very good at being hopeful about the
    situation we're currently in. In terms of our politics, there's so
    much misinformation, denial and entrenchment in the U.S. and the
    U.K. just now, which is accelerating different forms of
    marginalization and violence. I think some deeply-rooted psychic and
    political maneuvers are helping to sustain global injustices linked
    to ecological problems - and these are already having an enormous
    impact on some of the most vulnerable people in the world. But I
    think and hope that the generation that we're seeing coming into
    adulthood now are keenly attuned to this and are getting ready to
    make changes. There are lots of people working with hope and energy
    and creativity in the face of the difficult circumstances we're in...

more at -
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/08/naomi-booth-on-motherhood-anxiety-and-climate-change/

*This Day in Climate History - August 10, 2013 - from D.R. Tucker*
August 10, 2013:

    (CBS News) A new study found that climate change may cause people to
    be more violent.

    The study draws a link between increased rates of domestic violence,
    assault and other violent crimes and a warming climate and says that
    aggression can be associated with higher temperatures.

    Researchers re-analyzed 60 studies from recent decades that look at
    human behavior going back as far as 10,000 years ago. They
    considered violence on a large scale, such as war, and on a smaller
    scale such as aggression in baseball stadiums during the summer.

    "Scientists found that as soon as you move off of the average of
    either temperature or rainfall by a certain amount you get an uptick
    in small-scale violence, one-on-one or little bar brawls of 4
    percent, and you get large-scale violence increasing 14 percent,"
    said Time magazine senior science editor Jeffrey Kluger on "CBS This
    Morning: Saturday." "And that's where you talk about governments
    collapsing and large-scale riots."

    The study said that a global temperature increase of just 2 degrees
    Celsius could increase inter-group conflicts, such as civil wars, by
    more than 50 percent.

    "By the time we get to 2050, if we don't start to bring back CO2
    now, that's where we'll be, and we're facing that kind of unrest
    down the line," said Kluger. "One of the things to keep in mind,
    also, is this is worse in areas, say, with worse economies and parts
    of the developing world because they're on a razor's edge to begin
    with, so any disruption is going to be enough to tip them."..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-may-increase-violence-new-study-finds/