[TheClimate.Vote] August 11, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Aug 11 09:16:05 EDT 2019

/August 11, 2019/

[DW documentary]
*Britain: Rising sea levels put seaside towns at risk | Focus on Europe*
DW News
Published on Aug 10, 2019
More and more seaside towns in Britain are fighting against coastal
erosion caused by rising sea levels. One is the Welsh town of
Fairbourne, population about 1000. Experts say climate change is the cause.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO9MOCTZyBw

[Book review]
*This Is Not a Drill review - an Extinction Rebellion handbook*
Scientists, psychologists, artists and activists offer some hope and a
plan for the future
Alice O'Keeffe
How do you respond to this statement by the social scientist Jem
Bendell: "We should be preparing for a social collapse…an uneven ending
of our normal modes of sustenance, security, pleasure, identity, meaning
and hope"?

If you're anything like me, your first reaction will be to stop reading.
I did that numerous times before I got to the end of This Is Not a
Drill; I had to put it down, walk away, take a breath, make it stop. But
like it or not, there is something bracing and necessary about facing
our current reality. Extinction Rebellion's handbook is a collection of
pithy, punchy essays designed to shake us out of our collective
despair-induced lethargy. Authored by various thinkers from scientists
to psychologists, artists to indigenous activists, it provides a
devastating diagnosis: "We are in the sixth mass extinction event and we
will face catastrophe if we do not act swiftly and robustly."

Crucially, the book also provides the beginnings of a prescription. The
psychotherapist Susie Orbach writes about how we need to confront our
feelings of despair, sorrow and rage. That is no easy task, but once we
tell ourselves the truth, political action is inevitable. Roger Hallam
explains how Extinction Rebellion's founders studied previous uprisings
in order to come up with a formula for achieving radical system change.
Their conclusions were that conventional campaigning doesn't work, and
neither does violence. Large numbers of people need to create
significant economic disruption. And they need to break the law.

While there are some simple instructions here - how to block a road, how
to occupy a bridge, how to feed a protest - this is much more than just
a handbook. It's a wide-ranging, thought-provoking analysis of the task
facing us, which is nothing less than a paradigm shift. We have to learn
new ways to live, making more from less, and acknowledging that there
are only collective solutions to our current problems. And we have to do
it fast. It's a huge challenge, and it may well be an impossible one.
But the message here is that, even if we can't escape its consequences,
it is not too late to escape the mindset that brought us here. After
all, as Rowan Williams writes in his luminous afterword, "It might just
work."
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/07/this-is-not-a-drill-extinction-rebellion-review

[from the World Economic Forum]
*4 climate tipping points the planet is facing*
Johnny Wood
Writer, Formative Content
Is our planet approaching a climate change cliff edge? Across the world,
from the forests to the oceans, the consequences of humanity's
activities are being felt - and the effects could be catastrophic.
Here are four key climate emergencies happening right now:
*1. Arctic permafrost is melting*
Rising temperatures are destabilizing the frozen ground that covers
almost a fifth of the planet's surface, and which has remained intact
for millennia.

Permafrost binds soil, rock and sand in the ground. As it thaws,
previously frozen organic matter in the ice decomposes, releasing
harmful greenhouse gases - such as carbon dioxide and methane - into the
atmosphere, with potentially devastating consequences for the planet.

A dangerous cycle then ensues where released greenhouse gases fuel
further climate change, causing more permafrost to melt.

Climate scientist Dr Boris K Biskaborn of the Alfred Wegener Institute,
a polar and marine research organization, predicts melting permafrost
could increase temperatures by up to 0.27°C by 2100.

*2. Amazon deforestation is reaching the point of no return*
Amazonian rainforest is disappearing at an alarming rate of three soccer
pitches every minute, according to Brazilian government data.

Deforestation in the Amazon region is fast approaching a point from
which it might never recover, with scientists warning vast swathes of
natural tree cover could degrade into savannah, undermining the vital
role the rainforest plays in stabilizing Earth's climate.

Trees absorb large amounts of harmful carbon dioxide from the planet's
atmosphere, which is stored in their branches and trunks. Cutting down
large tracts of forest reduces nature's ability to remove greenhouse
gases and in turn slow climate change.

*3. Warming waters are destroying ocean ecosystems*
The world's oceans absorb much of the excess heat generated by
greenhouse gas emissions, resulting in rapidly increasing water
temperatures, with reduced oxygen levels and increased acidity.

These changing conditions can disrupt marine life and devastate whole
ocean ecosystems. Climate change increases the likelihood of extreme
events like hurricanes or coral bleaching, which threaten the habitats
of fish, mammals and other marine life.

Warmer waters also disturb fish breeding grounds, resulting in high
mortality rates for species searching for a cooler environment in
unsuitable waters. Such changes impact the food chain, including the
food that humans eat.

But warmer oceans can also melt continental ice, causing sea levels to
rise, which threatens the lives and livelihoods of coastal communities
around the world.

*4. Melting glaciers are causing sea levels to rise*
Iceland's Okjokull glacier was the first to completely disappear due to
climate change, and others around the world face a similar fate.

In the Himalayas, glaciers are retreating at double the speed they were
in the late 20th century. The world's highest mountain range and the
Hindu Kush region have lost 15% of their ice since the 1970s.

Melting glaciers cause sea levels to rise and accelerate coastal
erosion, changing weather systems and leading to more extreme and
destructive weather events.

Urgent action is needed to avert disaster. The World Wildlife Fund
forecasts that even if current global emissions levels are significantly
reduced over the coming decades, more than a third of the planet's
glaciers will be gone by 2100.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/08/4-climate-tipping-points-the-planet-is-facing/

[Melting ice, melting should now give worry]
*What Worries Iceland? A World Without Ice. It Is Preparing.*
As rising temperatures drastically reshape Iceland's landscape,
businesses and the government are spending millions for survival and
profit...
- - -
A native of the area, he recalled the lake's being a fraction of its
current size when he was a teenager. When he returned in 2012, the
Vatnajokull outlet here had melted so much that the lagoon had grown a
mile wide, and thundering rivers nearby had shifted course.

Many of the 200 tourists who visit daily want to see Vatnajokull before
it disappears, Mr. Arnarson said.

"People are stunned by the glacier's beauty and feel like me," he said,
gazing at the 130-foot-high wall of blue ice soaring from the water.

"It's nice to see a piece of it break off," he said. "But it's really sad."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/business/iceland-ice-melt-global-warming-climate-change.html

[Beckwith video reports on sea level]
*Arctic-Sea Ice Collapse: Greenland Vulnerability; Global Sea-Level
Rise; Extreme Weather Mayhem*
**Paul Beckwith
Published on Aug 10, 2019
In this video I expand upon my argument that global sea level will
indeed rise 7 meters by 2070, as I originally discussed over 5 years ago
in a video. An Arctic Blue-Ocean Event (BOE) is likely by 2022 and will
cause very large warming spikes that will further expose Greenland to
accelerated, catastrophic ice loss with an abrupt increase in the
frequency, severity, and duration of extreme weather events globally, as
well as very rapid sea level rise. As I said 5 years ago, I expect
global sea level to rise 7 m by around 2070, about 3.5 m by 2063, and
about 1.75 m by 2055 or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJ412PxHR0

[Koch owns coal and paper companies]
*Documents Shine New Light on Koch Brothers' Early Efforts to Abolish
the Department of Energy*
By Sharon Kelly  Wednesday, August 7, 2019 - 13:01

    Message From the Editor
    This week was all about the Kochs.
    Drawing from a major new archive on the fossil fuel billionaire Koch
    brothers, Sharon Kelly explains how its documents help illuminate
    the origin story for Charles and David Kochs' powerful network of
    influence.
    DeSmog also launched a new research tool, the Koch Network Database,
    to profile the dozens of organizations and individuals linked to
    Charles Koch or other members of the Koch family, Koch Industries,
    and related entities.
    The Koch political network includes a wide range of groups working
    to spread the Kochs' free market vision on a range of civic issues,
    which includes fighting against regulations on carbon emissions and
    denying the existence or seriousness of man-made climate change.
    Now, you can find this network's members and activities, all in one
    place. We have around 50 profiles to start and many more to come.
    Please let us know if you have any information or documents to
    contribute.
    Have a story tip or feedback? Get in touch: editor at desmogblog.com.
    Thanks,
    Brendan DeMelle
    Executive Director
    P.S. Be sure to also check out KochDocs.org, an extensive archive
    featuring troves of original Koch documents, hundreds of tax
    filings, and more.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/08/07/documents-shine-new-light-koch-brothers-early-efforts-abolish-department-energy
- -
[almost completed]
*Documents Shine New Light on Koch Brothers' Early Efforts to Abolish
the Department of Energy *
By Sharon Kelly
A scheme to abolish the Department of Energy (DOE) helped spur a failed
1980 Libertarian Party presidential bid -- and in the process laid the
groundwork for Charles and David Koch's powerful network of influence --
as documents from a newly published archive show.

The documents in the new KochDocs.org archive include a relatively
little-noticed column penned by fossil fuel industrialist Charles Koch
for the Libertarian Review in August 1977, in which Charles, who had
served as a member of President Carter's energy task force in 1976,
argued against Carter's energy policy, writing that the "only
'certainty' to be associated with governmental planning is that it will
not work, will tend to produce results opposite to those intended, and
will doom any substantial private long-range planning in energy
development." Read more...
- - -
[Top political destabilizer]
*Announcing DeSmog's Koch Network Database*
By Brendan DeMelle - Wednesday, August 7, 2019 - 13:01
The Koch Network Database is a new resource library built by DeSmog to
assist journalists, academic researchers, and the public to learn more
about the backgrounds of individuals and organizations associated with
billionaire fossil fuel industrialists Charles Koch and David Koch's
free market approach to a broad spectrum of civic issues.

The Koch Network Database will chronicle the historical and present
deeds and quotes associated with the people and organizations that have
helped to advance the Kochs' free market approach to environmental
regulations, and the subsequent consequences of such approaches for
climate change, public health, and democracy. Read more.

The Koch Network Database is a new resource library built by DeSmog to
assist journalists, academic researchers, and the public to learn more
about the backgrounds of individuals and organizations associated with
billionaire fossil fuel industrialists Charles Koch and David Koch's
free market approach to a broad spectrum of civic issues.

The Koch Network Database will chronicle the historical and present
deeds and quotes associated with the people and organizations that have
helped to advance the Kochs' free market approach to environmental
regulations, and the subsequent consequences of such approaches for
climate change, public health, and democracy.

The database launch coincides with the KochDocs.org document archive
launch, as Sharon Kelly covers in an important article about the
Koch-led campaign to destroy the U.S. Department of Energy.

It was 12 years ago that DeSmog first reported about Koch Industries'
campaign to confuse the public about climate science, in a 2007 article
titled Why Exxon Makes Koch Giggle.

In the years that followed, we have learned vast amounts about the
orchestrated campaign to delay climate action and attack climate science
by a constellation of individuals and organizations that share affinity
and often financial ties to the Koch family, ExxonMobil, the Mercers,
and a range of other like-minded characters in the fossil fuel
industries and right wing politics.

I first learned of the Koch name in 2002, when I came across their
attempts to influence the makeup of the courts to skew further toward
right-wing interests -- what they call "judicial reform" -- and have
remained interested in this line of research ever since.

Please let DeSmog know if you have any additional information or
documents that would complement our database, and of course, send us
your thoughts about our work any time.
As my father the librarian always reminds me, information is power.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/08/07/announcing-desmog-koch-network-database
- - -
[Here it is ]
*An extensive database of individuals connected to Charles Koch or the
Koch network.*
*An extensive database of organizations connected to Charles Koch or the
Koch network.*
Welcome to DeSmog's Koch Network Database where you can browse our
extensive research on the individuals and organizations linked to
Charles Koch or other members of the Koch family, Koch Industries, and
related entities. Choose a tab below to view the directories of
individuals and organizations profiled in the Koch Network Database.
https://www.desmogblog.com/koch-network-database

[maps]
*Wildfire smoke maps, August 10, 2019*
These maps predict the distribution of smoke from wildfires at 5 p.m.
PDT August 10, 2019.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/08/10/wildfire-smoke-maps-august-10-2019/

*This Day in Climate History - August 11, - from D.R. Tucker*
August 11, 2017: The New York Times reports on the machinations and
secrecy of EPA head Scott Pruitt.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/us/politics/scott-pruitt-epa.html?mwrsm=Email