[TheClimate.Vote] December 3, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Dec 3 08:20:27 EST 2019

/*December 3, 2019*/

[COP25 news service]
*The Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB)* is a balanced, timely and
independent reporting service on United Nations environment and
development negotiations...
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin provides daily coverage at selected UN
environment and development negotiations. We distribute our daily
1900-word reports in hard copy at meeting venues, on our website
(enb.iisd.org), by email, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IISDRS) and
Twitter (@IISDRS). At the conclusion of each meeting, the Earth
Negotiations Bulletin publishes a 10,000-30,000-word summary and
analysis of the meeting.The Bulletin reaches a wide range of people
interested in environment and development negotiations.
http://enb.iisd.org/

[15 min video report from the Guardian]
*Inside the mission to create an army of Greta Thunbergs*
Dec 2, 2019
The Guardian
Melanie Harwood is an education entrepreneur and self-styled
'disruptor', who has partnered with the United Nations to educate
teachers about climate change. The Guardian's Richard Sprenger joined
her on a trip to Dubai, to witness her unorthodox approach first hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_owNfcUrkY

[BBC News]
*Climate change: Study underpins key idea in Antarctic ice loss*
It's long been suspected but scientists can now show conclusively that
thinning in the ring of floating ice around Antarctica is driving mass
loss from the interior of the continent.

A new study finds the diminishing thickness of ice shelves is matched
almost exactly by an acceleration in the glaciers feeding in behind them.

What's more, the linkage is immediate.

It means we can't rely on a lag in the system to delay the rise in
sea-levels as shelves melt in a warmer world.

The glaciers will speed up in tandem, dumping their mass in the ocean.

"The response is essentially instantaneous," said Prof Hilmar
Gudmundsson from Northumbria University, UK.

"If you thin the ice shelves today, the increase in flow of the ice
upstream will increase today - not tomorrow, not in 10 or 100 years from
now; it will happen immediately," he told BBC News...
[also audio report]
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50625396

[15 min video talk]
*Climate Restoration Vital to Restore a Healthy Climate: 3 of 3*
Dec 2, 2019
Paul Beckwith
This is my third video of three on climate restoration, filmed just
before I left Ottawa for COP25 in Madrid. I have had a bad cold or virus
for the last few days that has tapped my energy; hopefully it wasn't the
Spanish Influenza although it sure felt like that to me the last few
days. I am on the mend (not 100% yet) and will start uploading videos on
the climate conference, hopefully starting tomorrow. Thanks again for
following my videos and supporting my efforts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-FSMfzV78

- - -

[more information links]
https://www.ice911.org/
https://www.businessclimateleaders.org/climate-restoration
https://foundationforclimaterestoration.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/20190916b_f4cr4_white-paper.pdf
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/09/17/1916736/0/en/New-Coalition-Launches-at-First-Annual-Global-Climate-Restoration-Forum-with-Call-for-Global-Action-to-Restore-Our-Climate-by-2050.html

[Solar power for your Solar Tesla]
*The Truth About Tesla Solar Roof*
Oct 28, 2019
FrontSeatGamer
Version 3 of Tesla's Solar Roof is about to hit the market, but for the
first time the solar glass shingles will be mass produced by the
Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York. What new changes have been made
since the first version of the Solar Roof?

Elon Musk first announced Solar Roof in 2016 - a strengthened glass roof
with built-in solar panels that would last longer than the house it was
sheltering. However due to challenges with cost, materials, and
installation, the solar roof was never released to the public in mass,
just in limited quantities.

V3 aims to improve on efficiency and installation time of the Solarglass
Roof to make it competitive with a shingle-based roof plus solar
retrofit. Tesla aims to begin producing the new Solarglass roof at 1000
units per week.  Will Tesla be able to achieve this goal and bring solar
energy to the wide public?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_P7JIDWYTY

[Where diaspora?]
*Climate refugees: why we can't yet predict where millions of displaced
people will go*
November 28, 2019 4.41am EST
In the near future, global warming is expected to create millions of
climate refugees, and individuals and organisations are already
searching for ways to help them. Some ideas are obvious, such as
improving conditions in refugee camps.

But there are also more high-tech projects such as using algorithms to
forecast where displaced people will travel to. Such forecasts are
crucial. They can help support organisations prepare in the right
places, they can evaluate current policy (by assessing a counterfactual
"what if" scenario) and they can also help predict refugee populations
in remote or dangerous areas where there is little empirical data.

So we can predict where climate refugees will go, right?

No. Despite bold and excitable claims that refugee forecasting is
largely resolved, we are not convinced. As computer scientists who work
on this exact problem, such claims seem like a painful example of
running before we can walk.

Almost four years ago, we started to research how people fled from armed
conflicts. Many people were displaced due to the Arab Spring and the
Syrian War, but little work had been done to predict where they could
end up.
With our colleague David Bell, we created a tool that could help, and
published our work in Nature Scientific Reports. Our tool represents
every person as an independent agent, and then uses simple
rules-of-thumb derived from scientific insights - for instance "people
tend to avoid travelling through mountains when it is raining" - to
determine when they will move next, and to where.

This is different from "machine learning" approaches, which use
historical data to "train" the algorithm to generate rules and thus
predictions. So, for example, machine learning might be given this sort
of data: "the number of people that arrived in a refugee camp close to a
mountainous area in a conflict that occurred perhaps many years ago, or
more recently but in a different country." The main issue is that
historical data used for machine learning is always quantitative, and
never is about the conflict that the simulation is directly developed for.
To see how our method worked in practice, we tested our tool against
UNHCR data from three recent conflicts in Burundi, the Central African
Republic and Mali. Our tool correctly predicted where more than 75% of
the refugees would go...
- - -
We found there was indeed a link - closing the Uganda border in our
model causes 40% fewer "agents" to arrive in camps after 300 days, and
that effect lingers even after we reopened the border on day 301. Our
tool correctly predicted where 75% of the refugees would actually go in
real life.

But doing a correct "retrodiction" in these historical cases does not
mean that you can do a forecast. Forecasting where people will go is
much harder than predicting a historical situation, for three reasons.
- - -
So it pays to be suspicious of the idea that refugee forecasting is
already solved, especially if linked to claims that the "next frontier"
for computer scientists is in (controversially) extracting data from
vulnerable refugees who are often unaware of the privacy and security
risks. Given how hard it remains to predict where the millions of
climate refugees will go, the "next frontier" is still the last frontier.
https://theconversation.com/climate-refugees-why-we-cant-yet-predict-where-millions-of-displaced-people-will-go-119414

- - -

[Source material]
*A generalized simulation development approach for predicting refugee
destinations*
Diana Suleimenova, David Bell & Derek Groen
Scientific Reports volume 7, Article number: 13377
Abstract
In recent years, global forced displacement has reached record levels,
with 22.5 million refugees worldwide. Forecasting refugee movements is
important, as accurate predictions can help save refugee lives by
allowing governments and NGOs to conduct a better informed allocation of
humanitarian resources. Here, we propose a generalized simulation
development approach to predict the destinations of refugee movements in
conflict regions. In this approach, we synthesize data from UNHCR, ACLED
and Bing Maps to construct agent-based simulations of refugee movements.
We apply our approach to develop, run and validate refugee movement
simulations set in three major African conflicts, estimating the
distribution of incoming refugees across destination camps, given the
expected total number of refugees in the conflict. Our simulations
consistently predict more than 75% of the refugee destinations correctly
after the first 12 days, and consistently outperform alternative naive
forecasting techniques. Using our approach, we are also able to
reproduce key trends in refugee arrival rates found in the UNHCR data.

Introduction
Global forced displacement has reached record levels. In 2017, 65.6
million people were forcibly displaced worldwide, a number which
includes 22.5 million refugees. Common causes of forced migration
include push and pull characteristics, such as the present social,
political, and economic conditions of migrants' origin and potential
destination, as well as intervening characteristics between these two
locations. Migration is a complex phenomenon and the push-pull
characteristics can be insufficient to explain forced migration. Several
groups identified sets of other causal factors that lead to forced
displacement, including conflicts, ethnic or religious differences, and
existential obstacles such as severe ecological decline.

[The Guardian does the math]
*Scientist's theory of climate's Titanic moment the 'tip of a
mathematical iceberg'*
Formula for climate emergency shows if 'reaction time is longer than
intervention time left' then 'we have lost control'
Graham Readfearn - 1 Dec 2019
When is an emergency really an emergency?

If you're the captain of the Titanic, approaching a giant iceberg with
the potential to sink your ship becomes an emergency only when you
realise you might not have enough time to steer a safe course.

And so it is, says Prof Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, when it comes to the
climate emergency.

Knowing how long societies have to react to pull the brake on the
Earth's climate and then how long it will take for the ship to slow down
is the difference between a climate emergency and a manageable problem.

Rather than being something abstract and open to interpretation,
Schellnhuber says the climate emergency is something with clear and
calculable risks that you could put into a formula. And so he wrote one.

Emergency = R x U = p x D x /t/ / T

In a comment article in the journal Nature, Schellnhuber and colleagues
explained that to understand the climate emergency we needed to quantify
the relationship between risk (R) and urgency (U).

Borrowing from the insurance industry, the scientists define risk (R) as
the probability of something happening (p) multiplied by damage (D).

For example, how likely is it that sea levels will rise by a metre and
how much damage will that cause.

Urgency (U) is the time it takes you to react to an issue (/t/) "divided
by the intervention time left to avoid a bad outcome (T)", they wrote.

Schellnhuber, of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in
Germany, tells Guardian Australia the work on the formula was just the
"tip of a mathematical iceberg" in defining the climate emergency.

"It can be illustrated by the Titanic disaster, but it applies to many
severe risks where you can calculate the do-nothing/business-as-usual
probability of a highly damaging event," he says. "Yet there are options
to avoid the disaster.

"In other words, this a control problem."

There is a time lag between the rapid cuts to greenhouse gases and the
climate system reacting. Knowing if you have enough time tells you if
you're in an emergency or not.

Schellnhuber used "standard risk analysis and control theory" to come up
with the formula, and he was already putting numbers to it.

"As a matter of fact, the intervention time left for limiting global
warming to less than 2C is about 30 [years] at best. The reaction time -
time needed for full global decarbonisation - is at least 20 [years]."

As the scientists write in Nature, if the "reaction time is longer than
the intervention time left" then "we have lost control".

Schellnhuber says: "Beyond that critical point, only some sort of
adaptation option is left, such as moving the Titanic passengers into
rescue boats (if available)."

Earlier this month, Oxford Dictionaries announced "climate emergency" as
the word of the year, defining it as "a situation in which urgent action
is required to reduce or halt climate change and avoid potentially
irreversible environmental damage resulting from it".
One website tracking climate emergency declarations says 1,195
jurisdictions in 25 countries, representing 454 million people, have
already voted on the emergency.

This week the European parliament joined them, as did Ballina shire
council in northern New South Wales, the 76th local government authority
in Australia to make the declaration.

Prof Will Steffen, of the Australian National University and the
Stockholm Resilience Centre, and a co-author of the article, says:
"Emergency can mean many things to many people. But there are some hard
numbers behind why so many people are saying we are in a climate emergency.

"This formula sharpens our thinking. So we have 30 years to decarbonise
and to stabilise our pressure on the climate system."

In the Nature article, the scientists highlight nine "tipping points"
that, if crossed, become almost impossible to stop. At least five are
already "active".

Some of them, like melting permafrost or forest degradation, can start
to add more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, making the job of
keeping global temperatures down even harder.

"There are a range of these intervention times left," Steffen says. "How
long do we have before [the Greenland ice sheet] goes? Maybe we have 20
to 25 years and then we might be committed to losing Greenland.

"But the time we have left to intervene to stabilise coral reefs, for
example, is a lot less than 30 years.

"Our reaction time has to be fast and to decarbonise by 2050 we have to
really move now. That's the point of [Schellnhuber's] maths.

"To err on the side of danger is a stupid thing to do."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/01/scientists-theory-of-climates-titanic-moment-the-tip-of-a-mathematical-iceberg?CMP=share_btn_link

*This Day in Climate History - December 3, 2009 - from D.R. Tucker*
MSNBC host Keith Olbermann calls out the hosts of the Fox News Channel
program "Fox and Friends" for selectively editing a segment of Comedy
Central's "The Daily Show" to imply that host Jon Stewart rejected the
evidence of human-caused climate change.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/olbermann-names-fox-frien_n_380473