[TheClimate.Vote] December 5, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Dec 5 09:37:56 EST 2019

/*December 5, 2019*/

[science proves out]
*Early climate modelers got global warming right, new report finds*
Climate models that predicted future warming have, for the most part,
been right...
- - -
Of 17 climate models published between the early 1970s and the late
2000s, 14 were quite accurate in predicting the average global
temperature in the years after publication, said Zeke Hausfather, a
doctoral student in UC Berkeley's Energy and Resources Group and lead
author of a new paper analyzing the models.

"The real message is that the warming we have experienced is pretty much
exactly what climate models predicted it would be as much as 30 years
ago," he said. "This really gives us more confidence that today's models
are getting things largely right as well."
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/12/04/early-climate-modelers-got-global-warming-right-new-report-finds/

[youth speaks]
*Greta Thunberg: People underestimate 'angry kids'*
Climate activist Greta Thunberg said that adults should stop making
young people "angry" over global warming.

Ms Thunberg was speaking after her arrival in Lisbon, Portugal, after a
two-weeks-plus journey across the Atlantic from her starting point in
Virginia, US.

"People are underestimating the force of angry kids," she told reporters.

The 16-year-old is on her way to the COP25 climate summit in Madrid.

She is taking a stand on more polluting forms of transport by sailing,
rather than flying or travelling in cars.

Responding to a question from a journalist who said some adults viewed
her as "angry", Ms Thunberg said: "We are angry, we are frustrated and
it's because of good reasons.
- -
"If they want us to stop being angry, maybe they should stop making us
angry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50644395

[Pope speaks out]
*Pope demands action for failing fight against climate change*
By Paige Hanley Catholic News Service
12.4.2019
VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Despite growing recognition of climate change as a
legitimate and looming threat, current commitments to mitigate its
effects and alter human behavior fall short of those needed to resolve
the crisis in time, Pope Francis said.

"We must admit that this awareness is still rather weak, unable to
respond adequately to that strong sense of urgency for rapid action
called for by the scientific data at our disposal," the pope said in a
message to the U.N. Climate Change Conference, COP25...
https://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2019/pope-demands-action-for-failing-fight-against-climate-change.cfm

[island crisis]
*Climate change: COP25 island nation in 'fight to death'*
The president of an island nation on the frontline of climate change
says it is in a "fight to the death" after freak waves inundated the
capital.

Powerful swells averaging 5m (16ft) washed across the capital of the
Marshall Islands, Majuro, last week.

But President Hilda Heine said the Pacific nation had been fighting
rising tides even before last week's disaster.
- - -
"With our very existence at stake, COP 25 must demonstrate unprecedented
ambition to avert ecocide."...
- -
"America remains the number one historic contributor to the climate
emergency, and even Democratic politicians have never committed to
taking responsibility for our fair share."

Underlining the real world impacts of climate change, a report from the
charity Save the Children, says that what it calls "climate shocks" are
threatening tens of millions of people in East and Southern Africa...
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50614518

[common sense message]
*Florida Keys Deliver a Hard Message: As Seas Rise, Some Places Can't Be
Saved*
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/climate/florida-keys-climate-change.html

[Dr James Hansen is the Grandfather of Climate Science]
*Carbon Reality!*
James Hansen
Our children must live in the real world. We cannot pretend we have
fossil fuel replacements and "all that is needed is political will."
Eventually we will have energy cheaper than coal, but not today. Fossil
fuels are a convenient energy source and can raise standards of living.
If we are to phase down fossil fuel emissions rapidly, we must make
fossil fuels pay their costs to society.

A viable strategy to rapidly phase down fossil emissions is an
across-the-board (oil, gas, coal) rising carbon fee. These funds,
collected from the fossil fuel companies, must be distributed, 100 per
cent, to the public. Otherwise, the public will rebel, as 'yellow vests'
demonstrated in France.

Merits of the carbon fee & dividend: it is progressive, as most
low-income people get more in the dividend than they pay in increased
prices. And, economists agree, it is, by far, the fastest way to phase
down emissions. It stimulates the economy, creates jobs, and modernizes
infrastructure.

The United States, China and the European Union are the big players on
the global stage today. If, preferably, at least two of these three
adopt a rising carbon fee, it can be made near-global via border duties
on products from countries without such fee, and rebates to
manufacturers on products shipped to countries without a fee. This would
encourage most countries to have their own carbon fee, so they could
collect the money themselves.

Will one of these three major players lead the way by initiating fee &
dividend?
- - -
Citizens Climate Lobby in the United States now has more than 500
Chapters with more than 170,000 members. I believe that they can
eventually get Congress to adopt a rising Carbon Fee & Dividend. Please
consider joining CCL and adding your support to their efforts.

China: The merits of a carbon fee in China will include a huge reduction
of air pollution, as well as reduction of carbon emissions. If the
dividend is distributed uniformly, as in other countries, it will
increase social justice. Wealthy people will lose some money, but they
can afford it. The population as a whole will be glad to see the
government taking action to deal with pollution and rewarding
financially those citizens who make an effort to limit their carbon
footprint.

The West must understand that China does not owe us any special effort.
China now has the largest annual emissions, but climate change is
proportional to cumulative emissions. China's cumulative per capita
emissions are far less than those of the U.S., U.K. and Germany (Fig. 2).

China's greatest emissions are from coal burning, as they have massive
energy needs for power plants and industrial heat. Their best hope to
phase down those emissions is modern, safe nuclear power plants that
shut down in an accident, such as an earthquake or tsunami, and require
no external power to cool the nuclear fuel. Data show that nuclear power
has been our safest power source, with smallest carbon footprint, but
major improvements are possible. For mutual benefit, the United States
and China should cooperate to develop modular reactors that would drive
the price of nuclear power below that of coal (see Cao et al., Science
353, 547, 2016).
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2019/20191204_CarbonReality.pdf
- - -
[Information to Congress]
*United States: Dan Miller and I submitted a response to a 'Request for
Information' from the United States House of Representatives Select
Committee on the Climate Crisis.*
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCyH32Yn3c9mEuYJyh4XfIzcxS82033R/view

Eric Holthaus
@EricHolthaus
*Just in: Global carbon emissions hit a new all-time high in 2019, up
0.6% from last year.*
This news is shockingly important and heartbreakingly serious. Not only
are we entirely failing to reduce emissions, we are making the climate
emergency worse at an increasingly fast rate.
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1202022209956515843
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1202022209956515843/photo/1

- - -

[BBC report]
*Climate change: Emissions edge up despite drop in coal*
Researchers say that carbon dioxide emissions this year have risen
slightly, despite a drop in the use of coal.
The Global Carbon Project's annual analysis of emission trends suggests
that CO2 will go up by 0.6% in 2019.
The rise is due to continuing strong growth in the utilisation of oil
and gas.
Since the Paris agreement was set out in 2015, CO2 emissions have risen
by 4%.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50648495

[VOX studied the field and selected six]
*Want to fight climate change effectively? Here's where to donate your
money.*
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/12/2/20976180/climate-change-best-charities-effective-philanthropy

[Superb Sarcasm from the Onion]
*U.N. Chief Says Planet Faces Point Of No Return As Climate Summit Begins*
OPINION
While stressing that his message before the global COP25 climate
conference was one of hope rather than despair, U.N. Secretary-General
Antonio Guterres told reporters that the world's government must make
immediate changes or face a point of no return. What do you think?

"I have faith that innovation will buy us a few years to properly
say goodbye."
GARRETT DILLON - VEGETABLE WILTER

"On a positive note, once we do pass that point, we won't have to
hear about it anymore."
JESUS SANDOVAL - TANNERY MANAGER

"Whatever happened to the carefree, happy-go-lucky U.N. we used to
know?"
AAISHA FRANCO - COURTROOM SKETCH ARTIST

https://www.theonion.com/u-n-chief-says-planet-faces-point-of-no-return-as-clim-1840178559

*This Day in Climate History - December 5, 2007 - from D.R. Tucker*
In a monologue that clearly explains why he had spent the previous
nineteen years claiming that climate change was a hoax, Rush Limbaugh
declares:

"Can I give you a real simple reality? It may be controversial, but
it's inarguable. This is a world that runs on fossil fuels, folks,
and it's going to run on fossil fuels long after you and I and your
grandkids are dead. Wind, solar, all pipe dream stuff, as we sit
here and speak now. Would somebody explain to me what is so immoral
about the leaders of this country attempting to maintain a supply
and access to the fossil fuel that runs the world and runs our
economy?...What I'm suggesting here is that even if a part of all of
the strategy here [with the Iraq War] is to maintain the free flow
of oil at market prices, what in the name of Sam Hill is wrong with
that? What's the crime? Where's the immorality in it?"

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2007/12/05/what_s_wrong_with_war_for_oil2