[TheClimate.Vote] February 5, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Feb 5 09:27:28 EST 2019

/February 5, 2019/

[Book tour for - The Uninhabitable Earth: A Story of the Future - is due
out on 19 February]
*David Wallace-Wells on climate: 'People should be scared - I'm scared'*
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/03/david-wallace-wells-on-climate-people-should-be-scared-im-scared?CMP=share_btn_link

[combination of perils down under]
*Australia floods: Crocodiles seen in 'once in a century' waters*
Authorities in Townsville, Australia have warned residents to beware of
crocodiles and snakes spotted in floodwaters in residential areas.
More than 1,100 people have been evacuated from the town amid a "once in
a century" flood.
On Sunday, the city authorities released a dam which had swollen to
double its capacity following a week of record rainfall.
Authorities have said more heavy rain is expected in coming days.

Opened dam floods Australian city
Up to 20,000 homes are at risk of being inundated.
Emergency workers and the army said they had received more than 1,000
calls for help. They've been using boats and helicopters to move people
to higher ground.

"Crocodiles may be seen crossing roads, and when flooding recedes,
crocodiles can turn up in unusual places such as farm dams or
waterholes," said Queensland's Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch.
"Similarly, snakes are very good swimmers and they too may turn up
unexpectedly."
One local resident, Erin Hahn, shared pictures of a crocodile sitting in
shallow water at the end of her father's drive. Another was photographed
climbing a tree in the floodwater.
Townsville has received more than a metre (3.3ft) of rain in the past
week - more than 20 times the average for the time of year.

"This is unprecedented, we've never seen anything like this before,"
said Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
"It's basically not just a one-in-20-year event, it's a one-in-100-year
event," she said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47112044

[From the Fram Center and Barrents Observer - Arctic publication]
[definition first]
*OCEAN ACIDIFICATION*
The ocean is in gas equilibrium with the atmosphere, so when atmospheric
CO2 increases, more CO2 is taken up by oceans. There, it reacts with
water to form carbonic acid. The most prominent effects of this reaction
are a decrease in the seawater's carbonate ion concentration, and a
lowering of its pH (a phenomenon termed ocean acidification). The
world's oceans are estimated to have absorbed 155 billion tonnes of
anthropogenic carbon between 1750 and 2010, roughly one third of the CO2
emitted by human activity over that period. This has lowered the global
mean pH of the surface ocean from 8.13 in pre-industrial times to the
present-day 8.05. The pH scale is logarithmic, so this corresponds to a
20% increase in acidity. Ocean models predict that this trend will
continue; we expect a further decrease of 0.4 pH units by 2100...
*Will ocean acidification affect arctic zooplankton populations?*
Fram Centre - January 31, 2019
You may know that the carbon dioxide we humans release is changing the
climate. Fewer are aware that it is also changing the chemistry of
seawater. About a third of the CO2 we emit is taken up by the oceans,
where it lowers the water's pH. That has consequences for marine ecosystems.
Text by: Peter Thor and Allison Bailey, Norwegian Polar Institute
In the ocean, zooplankton are a crucial link between energy-producing
phytoplankton and fish. We have studied how changing acidity might
affect zooplankton. Although recent research has revealed a complex web
of interactions between plankton species, the notion of a linear food
chain from phytoplankton via zooplankton to fish is still valid as a
model for the transport of energy from primary producers to fish stocks
in arctic waters. There, most fish larvae rely on zooplankton for food.
This makes the arctic ecosystem particularly vulnerable to perturbations
that affect zooplankton productivity. One focus of concern is how arctic
zooplankton populations will evolve in the face of climate change and
ocean acidification (OA)...
Just as arctic ecosystems are vulnerable to perturbation, the waters of
the Arctic are vulnerable to OA. Present OA rates are far higher here,
and they are expected to remain so for three reasons. First, melting sea
ice has low capacity to buffer acidity. Second, although the Arctic
Ocean constitutes only 1% of the global ocean volume, it receives 11% of
the discharge from rivers, which not only has low buffering capacity but
also brings significant amounts of terrestrial carbon, which may
ultimately be transformed to CO2 by microbial respiration. Finally,
increasing inflow from the North Atlantic transports large amounts of
anthropogenic CO2 to the Arctic Ocean. Arctic organisms are therefore
the first to face the effects of OA and will face stronger OA in the
future...
Unfortunately, arctic species may also be less well equipped to handle
decreasing pH than most other marine invertebrates. Unlike
lower-latitude species that tolerate a wide range of temperatures, true
polar species perform best at low temperatures. But this advantage comes
at a price. Polar marine invertebrates have less energy available for
cellular pH regulation...
- - -
There is no doubt that the Arctic will change, and along the increase in
temperature, one of the main changes is the decrease in pH. Although our
knowledge on the effects of Arctic OA is increasing, we still know
little about how these changes will affect the entire pelagic community,
including fish stocks. During our work in the Fram Centre Ocean
Acidification Flagship, we have focused particularly on effects on the
keystone zooplankton species, the Calanus copepods. Ultimately, we hope
our work will enable ecosystem models to project how future OA might
affect the entire arctic ecosystem.
https://framsenteret.no/2018/03/will-ocean-acidification-affect-arctic-zooplankton-populations/

[tune in tomorrow ]
*HEARING ON "TIME FOR ACTION: ADDRESSING THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND ECONOMIC
EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE"*